/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Islam and the arts

Tyrion
01-08-2012, 08:27 AM
Simple question really: What relationship is there (if any) between Islam and the arts?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ramadhan
01-08-2012, 09:19 AM
what kind (definition) of art are we talking about?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_art

In general, I think art that is to beautify and does not go against qur'an and sunnah is encouraged in Islam, as per general rule of this hadeeth:

From ’Abdullaah Ibn Mas’ood radiallaahu ’anhu who said that the Prophet sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam said, “No one will enter Paradise who has an atom’s weight of pride in his heart.” A man said, “What if a man likes his clothes to look good and his shoes to look good?” He said, Allaah is beautiful and loves beauty. Pride means denying the truth and looking down on people.” (muslim)

Tyrion
01-08-2012, 09:21 AM
Oh, sorry, I should have been more clear. This is what I meant by "the arts".

Muezzin
01-08-2012, 10:41 AM
Well, Islam isn't opposed to the arts. Neither is this forum, as you can see from all the wonderful creative work produced by our members.

I love shamless plugging.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Tyrion
01-09-2012, 04:26 AM
Okay, now what about things like... Creating elaborate stories and/or fictional worlds and universes? For example, the LOTR universe, the Star Wars universe, or even the Harry Potter universe... Things like that. And also, what about the performing arts or film?

Tyrion
01-10-2012, 11:38 PM
bumppppp

syilla
01-12-2012, 05:36 AM
we have our own islamic tv. TV al hijrah if you have heard about it. and about elaborating stories i think its normal to hear that in islam. one of the example is about explain how fast a horse can run. i think it mentioned in the quran something like metaphors i guess

Tyrion
01-13-2012, 12:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
we have our own islamic tv. TV al hijrah if you have heard about it. and about elaborating stories i think its normal to hear that in islam. one of the example is about explain how fast a horse can run. i think it mentioned in the quran something like metaphors i guess
I have heard of that program before actually... I believe Suhaib Webb appears there from time to time. :p: But I'm afraid I'm not exactly talking about metaphors and basic storytelling when I say "the arts"...

syilla
01-13-2012, 01:36 AM
^^^you have really to 'show' the example to make us understand the 'art' you are talking about :skeleton:

Tyrion
01-13-2012, 06:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
^^^you have really to 'show' the example to make us understand the 'art' you are talking about
Read all the posts, I already posted a wiki link describing what I meant by "the arts". Lets start there before we get more specific. :p:

Tyrion
01-16-2012, 10:10 PM
Is there any one with some thoughts on the matter? o.o

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!