/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Row over Dutch Queen wearing headcovering in mosque

Insaanah
01-14-2012, 10:36 PM
12 January 2012 Last updated at 15:42

Dutch Queen Beatrix calls headscarf row 'nonsense'

Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands has dismissed as "real nonsense" a domestic political row over her wearing of a headscarf while on a trip to the Gulf.

She was reacting to questions in parliament tabled by Geert Wilders's Freedom Party (PVV) which claimed she "legitimises the oppression of women".

Queen Beatrix wore a gown and headscarf first on Sunday at a mosque in Abu Dhabi and again on Thursday in Oman.

Her officials said she had acted out of respect for Islamic tradition.

During Thursday's visit to the Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque in the Omani capital, Muscat, the queen wore a red shawl over her hat while Princess Maxima who was accompanying her also had her head covered.

Dutch TV said that by also wearing gloves, the queen had covered herself even more than in Abu Dhabi.

The PVV, an anti-Islam party that props up the Dutch minority government without being part of the coalition, described her wearing of a headscarf on Sunday as a "sad spectacle".

In a written parliamentary answer, Prime Minister Mark Rutte said that when "Her Majesty visits a house of worship, the dress requirements are respected".

Reporters with the royal party in Muscat on Thursday described the queen as heaving a deep sigh, while saying she was not surprised by the row.

Princess Maxima also spoke out, according to Dutch media, pointing out that two-thirds of students in Abu Dhabi were women.

Although the queen regularly speaks to the Dutch press at the end of a royal tour, her frank remarks about a domestic political party are being seen as unprecedented.

The Dutch Labour party responded by suggesting that the monarch's remarks were a slip of the tongue. MP Jeroen Recourt said the comments were politically sensitive and awkward.
Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16524897

I wonder if the same comments would have been made had she covered her head while visiting a Catholic or Orthodox church...

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Banu_Hashim
01-14-2012, 11:10 PM
Ya Allah, these Islamophobic nut cases are unbelievable! Pure prejudice directed at Islam only.

Ramadhan
01-14-2012, 11:29 PM
Queen Beatrix is right. It's all non-sense.

syilla
01-14-2012, 11:48 PM
:sl:

A dutch miss universe did condemn the minister who anti islam on this. and they are surprise with her.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Galaxy
01-15-2012, 12:01 AM

Geert Wilders shouldn't be talking as he wore a Yarmulke in a synagogue!

joedawun
01-15-2012, 06:33 AM
Queen Beatrice did exactly the right thing.

Who Am I?
01-15-2012, 09:09 AM
I don't see why this is even an issue. Seriously? Do people really have nothing better to do than to get offended over stupid stuff like this?

Jedi_Mindset
01-15-2012, 04:50 PM
Ah Mr.wilders got butthurt again, is he running out of hair dye to make his hair blond?

bintYahya
01-15-2012, 05:13 PM
Geert must feel weak so he's getting a little desperate with his attempts.

May Allah show him something better.

Abz2000
01-15-2012, 05:39 PM
looooooooolllllllllllllllllllll!!!!!!!!!!!!

they want their women naked and worthy of top shelf display, and HATE the idea of decency,
this is quite entertaining actually :)

i see it as a good omen, the people will have a chance to reflect - especially the women,
all that talk about women wearing wot they want lol

"We also sent Lut: He said to his people: Do ye commit lewdness such as no people in creation (ever) committed before you?

For ye practice your lusts on men in preference to women: ye are indeed a people transgressing beyond bounds.

And his people gave no answer but this: they said, "Drive them out of your city:

these are indeed men who want to be clean and pure!""

(Qur'an 7:80-82)

this video captures the context well:

aamirsaab
01-15-2012, 08:31 PM
A queen wears a hijab and it's news worthy?

SICK!

serena77
01-15-2012, 08:46 PM
I agree... I mean this should not be newsworthy at all... in anything other than the sense of the Queen did the right thing and that if anything it should be put in a muslimah's fashion magazine running an article about hijab of some sort. Otherwise..... i don't get it.
Serena

GuestFellow
01-15-2012, 09:58 PM
So much controversy over this...

yas2010
01-15-2012, 10:26 PM
Geert should get a life. May Allah (Swt) guide him.
I recall the Queen visiting the Middle East and adapted her head dress accordingly and showed respect.

Darth Ultor
01-15-2012, 10:47 PM
Oh for ****'s sake, she was respecting the local culture! I wish Obama would do that abroad.

Scimitar
01-16-2012, 12:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Galaxy

Geert Wilders shouldn't be talking as he wore a Yarmulke in a synagogue!
Oh the irony. Hypocrites always get found out ;D

But yeah, if this is newsworthy then rueters is doing a crap job!!! Either that or it's anti Islamic propaganda...

...And I don't believe that reuters can do a crap job of pushing a gospel of heedlessness on humanity. They're actually very good at that.

Scimi

Pygoscelis
01-16-2012, 02:48 PM
This is outright silly, and hopefully expose Geert further for what he really is, a bigot.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!