/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Does Your Language Shape How You Think?

syilla
01-16-2012, 03:25 AM
:sl:

Just thought of sharing an article. Made us think the benefits of learning arabic. Subhanallah arabic make us think 100 times more compared to other language. it is the hardest language in the sense of learning for better understanding. But they should realised if the language acquire us to study more than the language is worth to study and learn.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/29/ma...pagewanted=all

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Banu_Hashim
01-16-2012, 03:51 AM
JazkaAllah khayr for sharing. Very interesting!!

sis muslimah
01-19-2012, 10:34 PM
jazakallahu khair for sharing sis :)

Eric H
01-20-2012, 07:31 AM
Greetings and peace be with you syilla; an interesting article, and a small quote from it.

For many years, our mother tongue was claimed to be a “prison house” that constrained our capacity to reason
My mum spent the last sixty years of her life in England, and not long before she died I asked her what language did she think in at night time, and think through problems. Her answer was French; she spent about ten years of her childhood in France, and she often spoke in French with her brother and sister who lived nearby.

I had the privilege to know a seventy year old man who had been profoundly deaf from birth, and never spoke, he just used sign language. I often wondered how he put his thoughts together, because he did not know what any word sounded like.

Blessings

Eric

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sothis Girl
01-28-2012, 11:24 AM
not only that, a person who spoke or use more than one languages are scientifically proven to have better multitasking and more protected from Alzheimer very earlier.

Read it here : guardian.co.uk/science/2011/feb/18/bilingual-alzheimers-brain-power-multitasking

GodIsAll
03-01-2012, 07:26 PM
I have always wondered this. Thank you for sharing. For those that are bilingual, do you ever catch yourself thinking in your first or second language?

I grew up in easten Canada. Sometimes, when I am very tired, I will answer a question or begin a conversation in French. I didn't even know I could do it anymore...Weird.

Just last week, I had a dream in French, even after all these years of not being exposed to it.

Ramadan90
03-01-2012, 08:04 PM
Very interesting article. I will make time to read it some day.

I am multilingual myself, and I almost ALWAYS think in english in my head and it is not even my mother tounge. I just do, I do not know why.

I am good at multitasking, but I rather focus hard on one thing at a time. It is much more effective.

Snowflake
03-01-2012, 08:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by GodIsAll
I have always wondered this. Thank you for sharing. For those that are bilingual, do you ever catch yourself thinking in your first or second language?
I always think in English. This can be very frustrating as when reading Arabic words I know the meaning of, my head still translates it into English. Can we even make ourselves think in another language?

GodIsAll
03-02-2012, 05:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Allah<3
I almost ALWAYS think in english in my head and it is not even my mother tounge.
That's amazing, really...fascinating.

GodIsAll
03-02-2012, 05:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dying Rose
I always think in English. This can be very frustrating as when reading Arabic words I know the meaning of, my head still translates it into English. Can we even make ourselves think in another language?
What is your first language, Dying rose?

Snowflake
03-03-2012, 02:26 PM
^Silly me, I forgot to say. My first language is Punjabi & Urdu.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!