/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Holidays

Marina-Aisha
01-17-2012, 01:28 PM
Mothers day and fathers day, r we aloud do these holidays? I read prophet saw didn't and nor his disciples.. I read that we aren't loud to do valentines day so I wondered bout these holidays too. Thanx

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Who Am I?
01-17-2012, 04:49 PM
Valentine's Day is just a money-making conspiracy anyway. It's not a real holiday.

I look at Mother's Day and Father's Day as obeying the commandment of Allah. We're supposed to honor and respect our parents. This is the purpose of Mother's and Father's Day.

Dilemma over. Problem solved.

Marina-Aisha
01-17-2012, 06:24 PM
lolzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz:bravo:thanx, but someone told me on another forum u not supose to celebrate these holidays but thanx anyways.

peace_maker
01-17-2012, 07:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Who Am I?
I look at Mother's Day and Father's Day as obeying the commandment of Allah. We're supposed to honor and respect our parents. This is the purpose of Mother's and Father's Day.
True. But we are supposed to honor and respect them all the time, it's part of life. Not respect and honor them only on a specific day. And besides, if we look at origin of these days, they'll be obviously from other cultures/traditions/religions etc. I don't know for sure anyway... But we are not allowed to follow the non-muslims in any aspect. So, I think we should just ignore them as any other prohibited celebration. :hmm:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Who Am I?
01-17-2012, 08:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by peace_maker
True. But we are supposed to honor and respect them all the time, it's part of life. Not respect and honor them only on a specific day. And besides, if we look at origin of these days, they'll be obviously from other cultures/traditions/religions etc. I don't know for sure anyway... But we are not allowed to follow the non-muslims in any aspect. So, I think we should just ignore them as any other prohibited celebration. :hmm:
Well I always try to honor my parents every day anyway, so that's not a problem for me.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
01-17-2012, 09:02 PM
As'Salaam Alaaykum

Great questions!

Well, realistically Allaah SWT was the first to teach us through his messengers about treating our parents well and not prescribed to stick to a specific date but every date of our life. So this 'mother's day' and 'fathers day' is every day for a muslim, meaning that we should celebrate everyday and not on a certain set date or criteria. Islam prescribed taking care of them and showing compassion to them everyday of our blessed lives.

So in answer to your question..

format_quote Originally Posted by marina28
Mothers day and fathers day, r we aloud do these holidays?
Everyday and not a date set by man but a date set by your creator, which is everyday!

I read prophet saw didn't and nor his disciples..
This is because they didn't leave it to certain date to 'love' ,'please' or 'celebrate' the pressence of their parents, whereas it would be everyday and also i think these holidays came into existence way after their time, someone correct me i've wrong, however, they would still have encouraged it to be practised everyday.

So, in conclusion we as muslims do not need a date to turn to our parents with buckets of gifts or love , if we have everyday of our life to do this, then why not?

but someone told me on another forum u not supose to celebrate these holidays but thanx anyways.
That's because it is not taught by Qur'aan and sunnah, what is taught is, is that we do this everyday..

Apologies for over repeating myself and hope i've made sense inshaa'Allaah..

Marina-Aisha
01-17-2012, 10:06 PM
lol its okay im open to anyones advice and input...i knew that we r suppose to repect and honor our parents everyday but i wasjust wondering if ur aloudto do those days also.

serena77
01-17-2012, 10:18 PM
my only issue... is my parents - mom and stepfather - if i tried to remind them that i honored them everyday.. I woud have a LOT of hurt feelings in this house... and i don't do much fifferent.. usually cook them dinner... and thats about all...

dad died on mothers day in 2003 and of course father's day has been hard for a long time..... sigh...
serena

Ğħαrєєвαħ
01-17-2012, 10:22 PM
lol its okay im open to anyones advice and input...i knew that we r suppose to repect and honor our parents everyday but i wasjust wondering if ur aloudto do those days also.
Ofcourse, everyday would only naturally fall into those holidays, so I assume that one would keep his intention right and do it purely for the sake of Allaah, but it really shouldn't affect one as it's just a day like every other to fullfill our duties to our creator the most wise. I hope someone can provide a better response inshaaAllaah.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!