/* */

PDA

View Full Version : how can we be the best to our parents?

tango92
01-17-2012, 11:05 PM
salaams - lets share tips on how we can make the lives of our parents better

islam doesnt just enjoin us to obey our parents, but to "lower the wing of mercy to them" 17:24

lets go, everyone add their best tip, also try not to repeat ones that have been mentioned

1. ask them if they want tea ;D

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Who Am I?
01-17-2012, 11:28 PM
:sl:

If I could go on YouTube (**** work censorship!), I would post the link to the video from Neuman Ali Khan about this. It says everything you really need to know about being the best to your parents.

Ghazalah
01-17-2012, 11:30 PM
Wslm...

-Make them breakfast.
-Massage their feet.
-I cut my dad toe nails every Thursday. His eyesight isn't so good and I don't want him clipping part of toes off :D

Who Am I?
01-17-2012, 11:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ghazalah
Wslm...

-Make them breakfast.
-Massage their feet.
-I cut my dad toe nails every Thursday. His eyesight isn't so good and I don't want him clipping part of toes off :D

This also has the added bonus of your father not leaving his toenail clippings in odd places around the house (which may or may not have happened in my house when I still lived there)...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
serena77
01-17-2012, 11:45 PM
Do their laundry
cook their favorite things for them - my stepfather is picky to beat the band and my mother loves things he doesn't... so when he is gone i try and make sure i cook what she wants.
Serena

Abdullahi E
01-18-2012, 12:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Who Am I?

If I could go on YouTube (**** work censorship!), I would post the link to the video from Neuman Ali Khan about this. It says everything you really need to know about being the best to your parents.
why dont u post it bro let us benefit from it

tw009
01-18-2012, 01:05 AM
^Maybe it's this video he is talking about ?

"You're really not gonna be able to be good to your parents if you're not truly a slave and a worshipper of Allah."

Who Am I?
01-18-2012, 01:24 AM

Yeah, that's the video. I was going to post it now that I am at home, but tw009 beat me to it.

Thanks, sister.

joyous fairy
01-18-2012, 02:19 AM
Maybe go shopping for them, or buy them something they need to save them from having to go and spend money. Or even accompany them when they need to go somewhere, so they arent alone.

ardianto
01-18-2012, 09:28 AM

Whatever you want to do to please your parents, always remember, not because you are afraid to your parents, not because you expect something from your parents. But do only with one reason, you love your parents.

Abdullahi E
01-18-2012, 05:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tw009
^Maybe it's this video he is talking about ?

[
"You're really not gonna be able to be good to your parents if you're not truly a slave and a worshipper of Allah."
u wlc my sis for sharing

Hamza Asadullah
01-18-2012, 05:31 PM
We must try our best to obey them as much as possible as long as they are telling us to do something good and permissable. We must be gentle towards them and never even say "uff" to them.

Abu al-Faraj Ibn Al-Jawzî (d. 1201CE) explained:

To be kind to one's parents is: to obey them when they order you to do something, unless it is something which Allah has forbidden; to give priority to their orders over voluntary acts of worship; to abstain from that which they forbid you to do; to provide for them; to serve them; to approach them with gentle humility and mercy; not to raise your voice in front of them; nor to fix your glance on them; nor to call them by their names; and to be patient with them. (Ibn al-Jawzî, Birr al-Wâlidayn)

We must respect and honour them at all times regardless of how they treat us even if they oppress us. We must try to look for every excuse, opportunity and chance to serve them and make them the happiest. For us to never look at serving them as a burden but a great blessing.

Shaykh Ibrahîm Ibn Sâlih Al-Mahmud writes:

Treat your mother with the best companionship, then your father; because paradise is under the mother's feet. Never disobey your parents, nor make them angry, otherwise you will live a miserable life in this world and the hereafter, and your children will treat you likewise. Ask your parents gently if you need something. Always thank them if they give it to you, and excuse them if they do not, and never insist on a matter if they refuse to give you something. (Al-Mahmoud, How to be kind to your Parents, p.40)

We should try our best to speak to our parents in a soft voice. Muhammad Ibn Sirîn (d. 729CE) used to speak to his mother in a very soft voice, out of respect for her. He was also often seen in the company of his mother and looking after her. (Ibn al-Jawzî, Birr al-Wâlidayn)

We should make the best of every opportunity we have to treat our parents the best whilst they are still alive for we will be in utter regret when we realise how much reward we have missed out on not serving or treating our parents how we should have.

May Allah enable us to treat our parents they way they should be treated. Ameen

Abdullahi E
01-19-2012, 12:50 AM
Mashallah akhi hamza

Hamza Asadullah
01-19-2012, 01:13 AM

syed1
01-19-2012, 01:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto

Whatever you want to do to please your parents, always remember, not because you are afraid to your parents, not because you expect something from your parents. But do only with one reason, you love your parents.
Yes do it out of love for them but first and foremost should be to seek the pleasure of Allah in doing so.

Who Am I?
01-19-2012, 04:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by syed1
Yes do it out of love for them but first and foremost should be to seek the pleasure of Allah in doing so.

That, and also because it's the right thing to do. Remember, it's all about your motivation. You should do the right thing because it is the right thing, and not for any other reason. I know people who donate to charity, but they only do it so that people will talk about what great givers they are.

Reflections
01-19-2012, 04:43 PM
^ Boils down to your intention. Every 3amal we do will be judged according to our niyyah. Just remember how you trest your parents is how your children will trest you..What goes around surely does come back around. Allah forgive us for any shortcomings and grant our parents jennatul firdous, Ameen

Sothis Girl
01-28-2012, 10:54 AM
be the jewels in their eyes. Nothing can make your parents proud than to see you becoming a person with great benefit to others, successful, and yet - still remember them. Praying to Allah for your parents is another great way.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!