/* */

PDA

View Full Version : update...

Who Am I?
01-25-2012, 04:49 PM
:sl:

Just a quick update on my status.

We had a bad storm come through the area Sunday night and I had some tornado damage to my house. I had to relocate to my parents' house for the time being, so I was unable to access the internet for a while.

I will be in and out of here for a while until everything settles down again, so I may not be posting here for a while.

I just wanted to let everyone know that I am OK.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
marwen
01-25-2012, 08:13 PM
^ I'm happyto hear you are safe brother. A storm made you visit the parents, hmm .. not so bad :D
Alhamdulillah !

~Zaria~
01-25-2012, 09:08 PM
May Allah make this trial in your life easy for you.

And draw your heart closer to him.

Alhamdulillah, you are safe - so, this is the time to reflect, insha Allah.

Salaam

Ansariyah
01-25-2012, 09:34 PM
I don't know where you are, but I'm glad your safe bro. May Allah keep you safe ameen.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
GuestFellow
01-25-2012, 11:02 PM
O_O

Woah, glad to hear your safe....

Ğħαrєєвαħ
01-25-2012, 11:13 PM
wa alaykum asSalaam

Glad to hear you are well, alhamdulilaah.

Jazakallaahu Khaayr for informing us.

serena77
01-26-2012, 12:00 AM
salaam brother
i was worried.... i wasn't sure exactly what town you were in but i saw so many pictures of the storms... may you stay safe and your home repairs be as quick as possible.
Serena

sis muslimah
01-26-2012, 12:49 AM
:wa:

glad to hear that your safe alhumdulilah

Ramadhan
01-26-2012, 01:53 AM

I am glad you are ok. That is some storm you are experiencing.
Hope you take care everything soonest, in the meantime we're going to miss your humor and history lesson!

Who Am I?
01-26-2012, 02:20 AM

The storm happened early Monday morning, about 4 AM local time. The roads were closed until this morning due to downed trees and power lines, and electricity still has not been restored to the area. I was able to walk out to meet my dad Monday and get out of there. I went back yesterday to pick up my car and move some stuff out of the house.

I took a bunch of pictures and videos and posted them on Facebook. I am now staying with my parents and will be here for a while, until all of this is sorted. I also wrote a short story about my experience that night.

Thanks for all of the concerns and duas. I really feel like this was Allah hitting the reset button on my life...

joyous fairy
01-26-2012, 02:24 AM
Walaykum salam brother.

Glad to hear that you are safe, Alhamdulillah! May Allah (swt) always keep ypu and your family safe, ameen.

ardianto
01-26-2012, 03:18 PM
Assalamualaikum.

Glad to hear you are safe. May Allah keep your family safe, and your home repaired as quick as possible.

Who Am I?
01-27-2012, 02:25 PM

Here's a short story I wrote about my experiences that night. A sample of my writing style, if you will...

I will remember the smell of pine for the rest of my life.

It was 4 AM on a Monday morning, and the tornado siren had just gone off for the second time that night. I barely paid attention to the thing, as it was always more of an annoyance than a warning to me. This was not going to be any different, so I waited for the wailing to stop and then rolled back over, grumbling to myself. "Finally, I can go back to sleep."

Zelda, my German Shepherd mix, made this half grunt-half growl sound as I rolled over, pushing her to the side. Big dogs always take up a lot of room in a bed. Shasta, my collie mix, was in her usual spot on the floor next to the bed. None of us had any idea what was coming.

It was only a few seconds after I had closed my eyes to drift back to sleep that I got the feeling that something was wrong. I heard nothing at all, no sound. Not even the rain that had been falling on my roof and against my window for the past two hours. That seemed odd to me.

It was then that I remembered what I had read about other people's experiences with tornadoes. Almost all of them had mentioned that there was an eerie stillness before the twister hit. The calm before the storm. Finally realizing what was happening, I jumped out of bed, grabbed my pillow and a blanket, and headed toward the bedroom door to the bathroom.

There is no basement in my house, so the bathroom is the most interior room. Even in my half-asleep state, I still remember what I had read about tornado safety. If there is no basement, the next safest place is a windowless interior room. I tore out of the bedroom and threw the blanket into the bath tub. I dove into the tub and covered my head with the pillow, to protect myself, though I don't know how much protection a small pillow would have been against falling debris.

Then the storm hit. The wind began to pick up in noise and intensity, much more so than it had been blowing the previous few hours, or indeed ever before that I could remember. I could hear small objects hitting the roof and walls of my house, with an occasional thud from a bigger object. I just prayed that those walls would hold.

There was a tremendous crash from the front yard as something large landed on the lawn. The wind howled its anger as more objects struck my roof and walls. "I seek refuge in Allah. Don't let me die, don't let me die, don't let me die." I prayed as I curled up in the tub, covering my head with my flimsy pillow and pulling the blanket over myself.

There was a metallic crash from the backyard as the old treehouse came crumbling down. I always knew that it would fall eventually. I would always hear it shaking in the breeze so I knew that a strong wind was going to bring it down.

There was another loud crash, and this one confirmed my worst fears as I heard the splintering of wood and the breaking of glass. Something very large had just come through my roof or wall, and knocked out a window. It sounded like it had come from the kitchen, but I wasn't about to check, not while the storm was still raging. I had been lucky so far and I wasn't about to push it.

The next few minutes were a blur. I remember the roaring of the wind and the thumping of objects against my house. I remember laying in my bathtub praying that God would spare my life. Then there was nothing. The wind was gone. The thumping was gone. The only sound I could hear now was the rain as it poured into my living room.

I was alive. Shaken... scared... but alive. I had made it through the storm, and would live to see the sun rise once again. I slowly climbed out of the tub and shakily made my way down the hall toward my living room. I could see the angry red sky through the giant hole in my ceiling, and could hear the water pouring into my living room.

I could see the giant tree as it lay where the couch used to be, its gnarled branches filling my living room, and making navigation impossible. I could not reach the kitchen to determine the extent of the damage there. I would have to wait until the sun came up to try to make sense of what had just happened.

But at that moment, none of that mattered. I cared not for the damage that the storm had done to my house. I cared not for the cost that clearing and repairing everything would be. I only cared that I was still alive. I was alive and unhurt, and my dogs as well, the only family that had been with me through the storm. The angry red sky did not bother me. I only felt at peace with the world as a sense of relief flooded over me, and I got on my knees and thanked God that I was still alive and unhurt.

But I will still remember the smell of pine for the rest of my life.

Ramadhan
01-27-2012, 04:18 PM

Bro who am i, you should enter writing competition next time, you have a gift of story telling. gripping.

Who Am I?
01-27-2012, 08:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ramadhan

Bro who am i, you should enter writing competition next time, you have a gift of story telling. gripping.
:wa:

Maybe, but I won't be able to use this story. I'll have to come up with something else. :p

I have a bunch of pictures and a couple of videos that I took from my trips out there.

I'm going out to the house tomorrow to start cleaning up and try to salvage what I can.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!