/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Quitting COLD TURKEY

IbnAbdulHakim
01-26-2012, 01:48 PM
Assalamu Alaikum

Some people think quitting cold turkey isnt a good idea but I happen to strongly thnk its the ONLY WAY to truelly quit anything.

If you cant quit cold turkey you most likely cant quit

for those who dont know what cold turkey means and think im actually talking about cold turkey and why on earth would that be difficult to quit then COLD TURKEY means quitting something AT ONCE and never going back to it rather then taking small steps to quitting.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
~ Sabr ~
01-26-2012, 01:53 PM
:wasalamex

Your last sentence seriously needs some punctuation :skeleton:

What if it's something they have been doing they're whole life? For example, smoking. That's hard to quit. And I think that can only be done if they reduce their doses, bit by bit.

Allaahu Aalim, depends on what it is they want to quit?

IbnAbdulHakim
01-26-2012, 01:55 PM
^ I've thought about it a lot and I think reducing doses increases temptation.

thoughts?

~ Sabr ~
01-26-2012, 02:04 PM
I wouldn't know, I've never smoked. Lol.

I mean if you put it in the context of music, let's say, then your theory sort of works.
Because I've been through that - was hard to quit bit by bit, because the more you listen to one song, then stop, then listen again, you never stop. Then it's hard altogether, and you never stop.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
'Abd-al Latif
01-26-2012, 02:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
Assalamu Alaikum

Some people think quitting cold turkey isnt a good idea but I happen to strongly thnk its the ONLY WAY to truelly quit anything.

for those who dont know what cold turkey means and think im actually talking about cold turkey and why on earth would that be difficult to quit then COLD TURKEY means quitting something AT ONCE and never going back to it rather then taking small steps to quitting.
It isn't recommended for everything. It can cause a relapse because its pulling someone out of their comfort zone. Sometimes taking it one step at a time is the best way. Very few people actually have the determination and will to quit cold turkey.

Paprika
01-26-2012, 02:22 PM
I don't even eat turkey, hot or cold, so no neeed to quit:zip:

Ramadhan
01-26-2012, 02:28 PM
:sl:

It depends on the situation and it depends on the types of addiction.
For persons with strong personality and strong will, quitting cold turkey is the best idea. But you need to replace the time/energy with something else positive, otherwise you can go to relapse. Well, any method does not guarantee someone not going into relapse.
But in general, I agree that cold turkey should be attempted as the first choice.

IbnAbdulHakim
01-26-2012, 02:29 PM
I don't even eat turkey, hot or cold, so no neeed to quit
^ yeah sure i bet your eating cold turkey right now you addict !!

i kid i kid :D

~Zaria~
01-26-2012, 03:38 PM
Assalamu-alaikum,

I think that while it is best to quit cold turkey on MOST things that are haraam and harmful to us.......there are a few exceptions.

eg. a drug addict, an alcoholic.
It can actually be harmful for some who have developed dependance on these substances, to quit suddenly.
In fact - the body can revolt so extremely - that the person goes through a period of withdrawal - which in some cases can be life-threathening, e.g Delirium tremens of an alcoholic.
(of course - this depends on the level of addiction and dependance.)

In all other matters - quitting the habit completely once and for all - is the best solution.

e.g quitting music (as mentioned above), watching TV, negative on-line habits, adultery, fornication, etc.....

And the ONLY way this becomes easier, is if you are taking this path for the right reasons.
If someone is trying to give up a bad habit - to please others......this may be possible, but the chances of relapsing is that much higher.

But, if someone is changing his way of life - for the pleasure and love of Allah, and His nabi (sallalahu alaihi wasalam)......for not wanting to cause displeasure to his creator any longer.....because he is deeply regretful, and fears the consequences of his actions greatly - then can there be any better reason?

Then, there is no question of trying to quit one step at a time.
It then becomes an Immediate and conscious effort to fight his own desires and cravings for this purpose.

And, man is weak.....and he may fall into error again......
But: He does not lose hope of the mercy and forgiveness of Allah (subhanawata'ala) - he turns in repentance, and trys harder the next time round.....

Salaam

~ Sabr ~
01-26-2012, 03:52 PM
^ Best reply on this thread, MashaAllaah.

Crystal
01-26-2012, 07:04 PM
I don't think it is the only way to truly quit anything...everybody is different and some people don't have a lot of self discipline and therefore find it harder to quit anything at once but that doesn't mean they won't eventually quit. I think it has a lot to do with the mind and how dependent a person is on something. I do admire people who can quit things suddenly though and never look back

joyous fairy
01-26-2012, 10:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
Assalamu Alaikum

;D That made me laugh.

I dont think it is the ONLY way but it is a good way. I think when people make an intention to stop something, then they are more likely to be able to stop doing that thing and especially if they make dua to stop.

Music for instance, I found it easy to quit, COLD TURKEY style :p

Some people, however, get stressed about certain things and use the 'addiction' to forget or to control their stress. I know of lots of people who listen to music to calm themselves down when they are angry/frustrated. Now, say if they want to quit but find it difficult and then one day they do it Cold Turkey style, they might get even more stressed because they are trying to avoid it when a situation occurs where they become angry/stressed. They might turn to something even more addictive/harmful like smoking/drugs.

I suppose it depends on the persons personality as well because some people worry/stress a lot about things and then need means to relieve that stress and if they have been doing something from a young age, it will be harder for them to quit.

:ooh: I dont even know if that makes sense and I dont even know why I kept talking about stress lol, but anyway thats my opinion.

serena77
01-26-2012, 11:07 PM
i have found that a lot of things... changing them... stopping behaviors ... etc.... there's several ways to stop and not everyone is going to be use the same way. Its the same for other things too... not everyone learns the same way...etc. doesn't mean the other things are wrong.. just means everyone is different....
Salaams
Serena

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!