/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Question about gemstones.

White Rose
01-27-2012, 03:08 AM
Asalamu Alaikum

My mother was interested in getting sapphire for herself. I was telling her how it is not wise to buy a gemstone in Islam with the thought that it will help you somehow.
Can someone please tell me more about what Islam says about getting a gemstone? Is it considered bad or good?
Thanks in advance

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ardianto
01-27-2012, 07:55 AM
Wa' alaikumsalam.

Depend on why your mother wants to have sapphire.

I have heard explanation from a local ustadz. He said wear gemstones if only for jewelry is permissible, but if wearing gemstone because believe that gemstone has a 'power', that's shirk and impermissible.

~ Sabr ~
01-27-2012, 08:38 AM
:wasalamex

I don't think anything is wrong with them, they are like normal jewellery for women, no?

Crescent786
01-30-2012, 04:47 PM
Very interesting logic - If gems have "powers" its Not good to wear as its Shirk ?
If you believe that my friend , do you go to the doctor to get medicine when you are sick ? the medicine does not have powers does it ?

When Allah created the earth and the heavens he created a Reason , If you are Sick you are permitted to take medicine , true the medicine has no powers , Allah must wish for you to get cured , that's why so many people die after taking medicine too.

the tablet is a reason , Like you need a Cloud to get rain, If allah wishes he does not need a cloud to Make rain but he makes the world go to a pattern. Like wise , the stone Has No power , its allahs wish, if he ( allah ) wishes to give healing through/using the stone , then it Shall be !,
you or me can not Stop it.

ahmed

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Dagless
01-30-2012, 05:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Crescent786
Very interesting logic - If gems have "powers" its Not good to wear as its Shirk ?
If you believe that my friend , do you go to the doctor to get medicine when you are sick ? the medicine does not have powers does it ?

When Allah created the earth and the heavens he created a Reason , If you are Sick you are permitted to take medicine , true the medicine has no powers , Allah must wish for you to get cured , that's why so many people die after taking medicine too.

the tablet is a reason , Like you need a Cloud to get rain, If allah wishes he does not need a cloud to Make rain but he makes the world go to a pattern. Like wise , the stone Has No power , its allahs wish, if he ( allah ) wishes to give healing through/using the stone , then it Shall be !,
you or me can not Stop it.

ahmed
With medicine we can see the physical mechanism by which it works. There is evidence. We do not say it has power; it is just a tool. If we believe that the medicine itself heals without Allah then of course that too would be shirk.

With stones/amulets/objects/etc. they are portrayed as having an unseen supernatural mechanism. This requires belief that the stone itself has the power to protect, because there is no evidence other than superstition.

CosmicPathos
01-31-2012, 05:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dagless
With medicine we can see the physical mechanism by which it works. There is evidence. We do not say it has power; it is just a tool. If we believe that the medicine itself heals without Allah then of course that too would be shirk.

With stones/amulets/objects/etc. they are portrayed as having an unseen supernatural mechanism. This requires belief that the stone itself has the power to protect, because there is no evidence other than superstition.
See? How well can we see?Within a narrow range of 400nm-700nm? Many a times drugs can produces effects that we dont see. Have we seen a drug bind to its receptor and do its magic? We have premature and crude ways of measuring effects, by measuring outcomes, they help us, but they do not mean we have grasp of reality.

I am not advocating that gemstones have power by themselves. But Islam asks us to believe that if Allah wished so we could be healed from eating sand dust particles. So from that perspective, if Allah wishes so, he could heal through gemstones. After all did not Prophet Muhammad pbuh cure eye pain of Ali (ra) by rubbing his saliva over his eyes?

saliva is just some water, amylase, and some antibodies, how can saliva act as anesthetic? or a pain reliever?

Dagless
01-31-2012, 05:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by CosmicPathos
See? How well can we see?Within a narrow range of 400nm-700nm? Many a times drugs can produces effects that we dont see. Have we seen a drug bind to its receptor and do its magic? We have premature and crude ways of measuring effects, by measuring outcomes, they help us, but they do not mean we have grasp of reality.
'See' was used to mean 'perceive'. To whatever degree we can see such things we know they have repeatable positive outcomes to some degree. Gemstones do not.

I am not advocating that gemstones have power by themselves. But Islam asks us to believe that if Allah wished so we could be healed from eating sand dust particles.
You need to seek out those things which you think will help. You could just sit back and say I don't want to take any medicine because Allah will cure me regardless. That is obviously not an approach to take because you are not doing your part. If you believe sand dust can heal you then fair enough but usually people go towards things which have evidence.

CosmicPathos
02-01-2012, 02:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dagless
'See' was used to mean 'perceive'. To whatever degree we can see such things we know they have repeatable positive outcomes to some degree. Gemstones do not.

You need to seek out those things which you think will help. You could just sit back and say I don't want to take any medicine because Allah will cure me regardless. That is obviously not an approach to take because you are not doing your part. If you believe sand dust can heal you then fair enough but usually people go towards things which have evidence.
Even things that have evidence, if Allah wished so, they wont work.

Even things that do not have any evidence, if Allah wished so, they would work. This is Aqeedah 101 bro. What people go to, that does not matter. people go towards zina, towards suicide, towards many other things too. People were never the yardstick to measure the reality of nature and life.

Dagless
02-01-2012, 02:42 AM
Even things that have evidence, if Allah wished so, they wont work.

Even things that do not have any evidence, if Allah wished so, they would work. This is Aqeedah 101 bro. What people go to, that does not matter. people go towards zina, towards suicide, towards many other things too. People were never the yardstick to measure the reality of nature and life.
Yes, we've already agreed all things are done with Allah's permission. However, we are required to look after ourselves, therefore seeking out medicine based on factual evidence is the correct way to go. If you have a curable disease, and instead of seeking out the medical cure you decide to seek out sand dust instead... well then that's your choice, but if you end up dying you'll have to justify your choices to God.

White Rose
02-02-2012, 12:11 AM
Thanks everyone for replying and making it clear for me.

Scimitar
02-02-2012, 03:04 PM
Straight up, wear it as jewellery for women, no problem.

Wear it like a charm / amulet / protection = SHIRK.

End of.

Scimi

White Rose
02-03-2012, 09:41 PM
Also, while we are talking about gemstones here. I have read that it is sunnah to wear some stones ( such as Carnelian, Ruby, Turquoise, Hematite, and Quartz). Problem is, there are many lab created stones out there and I was wondering if the gemstone has to be natural or can it be lab created?

Jazakallah

Also to Scimi, when will you be releasing part 2 of The Sacrifices. I am really interested.
JazallahJa

White Rose
02-03-2012, 09:43 PM
Ooops, meant to type Jazakallah.

ardianto
02-04-2012, 07:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by arjmand
Also, while we are talking about gemstones here. I have read that it is sunnah to wear some stones ( such as Carnelian, Ruby, Turquoise, Hematite, and Quartz). Problem is, there are many lab created stones out there and I was wondering if the gemstone has to be natural or can it be lab created?
Lab created gems?. That's made from resin, not natural stones.

Scimitar
02-04-2012, 09:24 PM
I read a while ago that the Propeht pbuh did indeed wear a ring, but then the sahabi RA copied him so he threw the ring away in disgust and warned them of the danger of wearing rings.

The ring he threw away was the first ring with the seal on it, the one used to mark the wax in official letters sent to Kings etc.

I haven't got the references to this hadeeth at hand, but I'm sure a little digging will find it.

Scimi

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!