/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Urdu's Reality: Poet Javed Akhtar on Urdu

CosmicPathos
02-06-2012, 02:27 AM
Javed Akhtar is an Urdu poet, and is related to ancient Urdu poet named Majaz. In Jaipur Festival, he has a lot to say about Urdu language. He asserts that Urdu was always an atheist/agnostic language. Urdu ghazal has three villains, all three are religious identities: mullah, zaahid, sheikh.

Make up your mind, if you really want to speak a language whose pioneering fathers took jibes at Islamic symbols.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Tilmeez
02-06-2012, 06:59 AM
:sl:
Can't not listen to it atm.

If he is saying what I got from your short intro then he is show only one side of the picture. He needs to find riches Urdu has on Islam after Arabic and Persian.

I agree to the Villain part as they include, Mullah, zahid, Nasih, Sheikh but he needs to read Khawaja Mir Dard specially to see religious (Its actually Sufi) poetry.

I will try listening to him and then update this post, Inshallah.

CosmicPathos
06-05-2012, 10:22 PM
so sis snowflake, any thoughts?

Banu_Hashim
06-05-2012, 11:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by CosmicPathos
Make up your mind, if you really want to speak a language whose pioneering fathers took jibes at Islamic symbols.

I'll speak if I want, as I'm sure you'll carry on speaking English, the language whose native speakers take far more jibes at Islamic symbols.

Just because Pakistan has made it the national language, Urdu doesn't become the property of Muslims! Many Hindus in India, especially of the older generation can only speak Urdu! It was developed in Northern Hindustan, in cities like Delhi and Lucknow. I suggest you read up on the socio-linguistics of this beautifully rich language in a book called from Hindi to Urdu by Prof. Tariq Rahman.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
CosmicPathos
06-06-2012, 04:40 AM
well just because Quran came in Arabic, it doesnt mean it is the exclusive language of Muslims. Arab Jews and Christians speak it as well.

~ Sabr ~
06-06-2012, 08:32 AM
I beg your pardon brother CosmicPathos, but if a person does not know any other language than Urdu, what are they supposed to do?

Pure Purple
06-06-2012, 10:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Haafizah
I beg your pardon brother CosmicPathos, but if a person does not know any other language than Urdu, what are they supposed to do?
I am here sis.I know only urdu language.They can join Ib ,and start writing anything irrespective of whether members understand your post or not.

Banu_Hashim
06-06-2012, 10:56 AM
well just because Quran came in Arabic, it doesnt mean it is the exclusive language of Muslims. Arab Jews and Christians speak it as well.
I agree with you 100%.

Snowflake
06-06-2012, 08:58 PM
so sis snowflake, any thoughts?
Only this verse bro...

“O mankind! We have created you from a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes, that you may know one another. Verily, the most honourable of you with Allaah is that (believer) who has taqwa (i.e. is one of the muttaqeen – the pious). Verily Allaah is All-Knowing, All-Aware.” (Sura Al-Hujuraat # 49, ayah #13)

There's many pious people whose mother tongue evolved from the languages spoken by the enemies of Islam. But piety's all that matters with Allah at the end of the day. So no other thoughts I guess.

~ Sabr ~
06-07-2012, 08:08 AM
^ I can't rep you but that post - nailed it mashaAllaah.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!