/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How being more wellspoken and write better texts?

Ramadan90
02-08-2012, 07:22 PM
ASA brother and sisters,

As the title is read, how can I be more wellspoken and write better text in terms of the language but also the content? I would like to develop these skills since they are very important. Mashallah, I have seen many brother and sisters here writing very good like brother Hamza Asadullah and sister Bluebell. May Allah develop their skills even more. :)

ASA

Allah<3

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Who Am I?
02-08-2012, 09:02 PM
They have classes in writing. You could take some of those. I took a few myself when I was younger.

UmmuShaheed
02-08-2012, 11:57 PM
Asalamu Alaikum
Read a lot, it actually helps
Ameen

aadil77
02-09-2012, 01:57 PM
Sis blubell must have done english lit or something, I reckon I picked up half my vocabulary just from her posts : D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
joyous fairy
02-10-2012, 12:47 AM
Walaykum salam,

I agree with sis Ghareeb. Reading more helps with expanding vocabulary and improving grammar.

You could try reading academic articles, books and newspapers. InshaAllah that will help.

It also might help if you listen to lectures by academics.

Hope this has helped.

'Abd-al Latif
02-10-2012, 01:20 AM
:salamext:

Read books. Lots and lots and lots of books.

Source? Me. I'm an English teacher.

Don't pick up something that's too hard for you like Charles Dickens or someone of a high calibre like that. Pick up small, easy-to-read books, one's you'll understand and grasp the language and content. Every time you find a new word use a dictionary to find out it's meaning; do this even if you aren't sure of the meaning of the word. Get into the habit of reading a lot and you'll start to remember new words and enjoy reading books a lot more.

At first when you read books you're reading is going to be very slow and you may feel very tired after reading. Keep yourself hydrated, take breaks and read in a place where there is good lighting.

I've downloaded the dictionary.com app on my iPhone because I'm in the habit of reading a lot. This helps me to keep a history of the new words and saves me a lot of time having to write them down to revise them later. It'd be good if you did the same.

To conclude with one of my favourite quotes, "If over others you would leap, then in a book you must seek".

esperanza
02-10-2012, 07:06 AM
yes iagrree totally..reading is a great way to improve writing skills
why do you think wrting skills are generally weaker these days,,,people dont read anymore
also we all becaome lazy becasue of imterent cahtiing phones and messaging,,,we get used to wrting in a casual incorrect way
im an english teacher, but even i have seen my standard of english go dwon since ispend more time online,,,,
and imake many mistakes as iwould not have done before
read as much as possible,,,and try wrting some letters,,,its old fashioned,,,but its great feeling to get a handwritten letter from someone,,,

ardianto
02-10-2012, 07:27 AM
:sl:

Reading only is not enough. You still need to learn from the writers.

You can learn from them directly, with ask to them. Or you can learn from them indirectly through their tips on writing.

Periwinkle18
02-10-2012, 10:44 AM
:sl:

Reading helps it helpd me too buh try writing short stories or something tht mite help u.

Muezzin
02-11-2012, 07:39 PM
Read. Read widely and well.

Read work you admire and emulate its techniques. Read work you detest and avoid making the same mistakes. Read non-fiction and fiction. Read things you enjoy but don't usually expose yourself to. Read poetry (or 'Something Wicked This Way Comes' by Ray Bradbury) to familiarise yourself with metaphor. Buy a dictionary and read it little by little, every day, until you've read every word. Try and naturally expand your vocabulary when speaking, as this will improve your vocabulary when writing.

When you write, whether it is a forum post, a text message, a tweet, a letter, a story or whatever, make every word count.

Always remember - you are who you are. Don't try and sound like someone else. Focus on making your written work, whatever it is, as clear, eloquent and elegant as it can be. The writing style will take care of itself.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!