/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Question about 4:15-4:16 in the quran

Karimah
02-08-2012, 11:57 PM
Here is the surah/verse from various english translations:

Sahih International

Those who commit unlawful sexual intercourse of your women - bring against them four [witnesses] from among you. And if they testify, confine the guilty women to houses until death takes them or Allah ordains for them [another] way.

Muhsin Khan

And those of your women who commit illegal sexual intercourse, take the evidence of four witnesses from amongst you against them; and if they testify, confine them (i.e. women) to houses until death comes to them or Allah ordains for them some (other) way.

Pickthall

As for those of your women who are guilty of lewdness, call to witness four of you against them. And if they testify (to the truth of the allegation) then confine them to the houses until death take them or (until) Allah appoint for them a way (through new legislation).

Yusuf Ali

If any of your women are guilty of lewdness, Take the evidence of four (Reliable) witnesses from amongst you against them; and if they testify, confine them to houses until death do claim them, or Allah ordain for them some (other) way.

Shakir

And as for those who are guilty of an indecency from among your women, call to witnesses against them four (witnesses) from among you; then if they bear witness confine them to the houses until death takes them away or Allah opens some way for them.

Dr. Ghali

And (as for) the ones of your women who come up with the obscenity, (i.e., illegal sexual intercourse; abomination) so, call four of you to witness against them. Then in case they (bear) witness, then retain them (The pronoun is the feminine plural) in the homes until death takes them up, (i.e., they die) or Allah sets for them a way.

Just confused as to what the sin being committed here (mentioned as illegal sex, indecency, lewdness) is? Is this adultery? The next verse talks about two men committing 'it' so could this also mean homosexuality? Then if the men repent they are ok but a woman is confined to her home for life? That seems really unjust. I mean I know that it says "...or until Allah (swt) finds a way..." but this is vague and yet for the men it explicitly says leave them alone after they repent and they are alright. It just kind of bothers me so I would appreciate over viewpoints and thoughts... just trying to understand and earnestly seeking guidance. Thanks

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ayesha.ansari
02-13-2012, 09:42 AM
I can't be able to answer your complete question before discussing it with my teachers, in short i can tell you its is about zina bil raza.

Karimah
02-15-2012, 12:43 AM
Thanks for your offer. I have read more into this and have realized that some English translations actually refer to a man and woman or specifiy no gender in 4:16. so hmmm.

- Qatada -
02-15-2012, 12:26 PM
Allah says: “If any of your women are guilty of lewdness, take the evidence of four (reliable) witnesses from amongst you against them; and if they testify, confine them to houses until death do claim them, or Allah ordain for them some (other) way.” [Quran al-Nisa' 4:15]

It was reported by Muslim and other narrators of Sunan via Qutaadah from al-Hasan from al-Hattan from ‘Ubaadah ibn al-Saamit from the Prophet (Peace & Blessings of Allaah be upon Him) with the wording: ‘Receive (teaching) from me, receive (teaching) from me. Allah has made another way for those When an unmarried man commits adultery with an unmarried woman, (they should receive) one hundred lashes, and banishment for one year. In the case of a married male committing adultery with a married female, they should receive one hundred lashes and be stoned to death.’ Al-Tirmidhi said: This is a saheeh hasan [Good, Authentic] hadeeth.”

[see IslamQA #839]

You can read this for further reading;

Adultery and it's Punishment;

http://idawah.com/responses/adultery/

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!