/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Seeking Knowledge

joyous fairy
02-13-2012, 02:07 AM
Assalam alaykum,

I need some advice on seeking knowledge and how to go about it. I know its really important but what I am struggling is finding somewhere where I can start and also what to start with. I can read books on my own at home but I know this isnt enough and I need someone to teach me and keep me on track because I can easily lose motivation or become distracted by other things.

I attend lectures sometimes at Masjids and other places but I know this isnt enough. I listen to talks sometimes online but this isnt enough either.

JazakAllah Khair.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
KDhieb
02-14-2012, 08:19 PM
:wa:

I myself have recently started seeking knowledge.. The internet has a wide and vast majority of information however you have to be very careful with the credentials.. Inshallah, another brother or sister will respond with useful information.

joyous fairy
02-14-2012, 11:02 PM
I wouldnt mind finding some reliable online classes, but I dont really know anybody that has taken them.

~Zaria~
02-14-2012, 11:12 PM
Assalamu-alaikum sister,

I have been facing a similiar situation as well.

You have already mentioned some possibilities - do not take light of these, as they ALL play important roles in nourishing our imaans, insha Allah:

- Reading books: there are soo many great books out there....and Alhamdulillah, today - we have access to them at our finger-tips.
It honestly has never been easier in acquiring knowledge in the entire history of mankind.

- Listening to lectures: I personally feel that this is one of the easiest ways of almost 'being in the company' of the pious and scholars of Islam.
And again - talks are freely available for download on any topic, by almost any speaker....it is our duty to make the effort and the time to listen and absorb their wisdom.
If you spend every day, listening to just one lecture - can you imagine the difference it can make in our lives?

Also:

- Search for islamic groups, courses and weekend seminars in your area.
Apart from the knowledge that is gained......what better way of spending your time, than with like-minded people, for the pleasure of Allah? :)

- Enquire about ladies hulqa sessions, and if none exists - why not start one with a few of your friends?

- If you are not arabic-speaking - look out for arabic classes in your area......it really is so important to at least try and read the Quraan with understanding.

- There are also on-line Islamic diplomas/ degrees that you can enroll for: eg. Islamic Online University, KIU, etc.

- And finally: remember - A family that prays together, stays together :) So why not involve your family members and siblings on this journey?.....Set out some time every day, maybe between Asr and Maghrib, e.g. to read a surah/ hadith/ islamic text and discuss it together :)

Hope you find some of these of benefit, insha Allah.

Salaam

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Karimah
02-15-2012, 12:31 AM
If you go to islamicfinder.org you can put in your location and it gives you a list of groups, masjids, and islamic businesses. In this way you may be able to meet up with others in person. Youtube also has a lot of good videos but be careful there are some bad ones. I also liked the website seekersguidance dot org. They have online classes but there is also a tonnnnnn of info.

biz
03-22-2012, 08:50 PM
Salam, good advice you gave sis Zaria.. It feel like i daydreaming or dont know what im reading when i read the Quran in english.. Maybe i dont have the right intention??

Also when listening to lecture, i forget very fast :P

Hulk
03-23-2012, 10:58 AM
My interest in religion sparked a few years ago but only a few months ago did I join a class which had an incredibly intelligent teacher and it totally humbled me. The amount of knowledge I gained from that one course has benefitted me greatly. Learning from books and videos are good but I think to learn in the presence of a teacher is learning on a whole other level. Reason being you are actually experiencing the knowledge right in front of you, and of course you must try and write down important notes so that you don't forget :statisfie. Personally I am quite shy and I normally don't raise my hands to ask anything but a few of my classmates were very open about it. Good for them!

I think it is very important to be genuinely humble if you want to seek knowledge because I think arrogance can affect your ability to learn.

'Abd-al Latif
03-23-2012, 11:53 AM
:salamext:

The Etiquette of Seeking Knowledge ... to adorn oneself with beautiful etiquette, noble manners, good behaviour, and pious conduct are distinguishing characteristics of the people of Islaam, and knowledge - the most precious pearl in the crown of the purified Shareeah - cannot be attained except by those who adorn themselves with its etiquette and those who leave evil qualities associated to it. For this reason the scholars devoted their attention to this etiquette, outlined its importance and wrote books solely on this topic; either pertaining to (general conduct] with all types of knowledge or to specific types of knowledge such as the etiquette of the carriers of the Noble Quireaan, the etiquette of the muhaddith, the etiquette of the muftee, the etiquette of the qaadee (judge), the etiquette of the muhtasib (the one who enjoins good and forbids evil for the sake of Allaah) and so on. The issue of this book is the general conduct of those who take the path of seeking the knowledge of the Sharee'ah.

Download the PDF version here.

'Abd-al Latif
03-23-2012, 12:01 PM
This and the one above are among the top 3 best books I've read in the English language about seeking knowledge. This one in particular mentions the books that a student of knowledge should study.

This book is intended to be an important companion to the sincere student of knowledge; highlighting the virtues of seeking knowledge, the etiquettes of doing so and the means which assist in acquiring knowledge. Other areas covered include the extremely important aspects of the paths to acquiring knowledge in addition to the mistakes against which precautions must be taken whilst seeking knowledge. A list of over 130 recommended books for students of knowledge has been compiled by the translator which will go a long way to assist the striving student of knowledge in building his or her library of important and authentic texts, inshaAllah.

Unfortunately I can't find a PDF version for this.

Hulk
03-23-2012, 12:33 PM
thank u for sharibng akhi awesome possum

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!