/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Are Oreos halal in uk?

Aishath
02-13-2012, 09:41 PM
Asalaamu alaykum,

I saw it on their website that it is suitable for a Muslim diet as it contains no pork derived ingredients and alcoholic ingredients. The GMWA website confused me a bit as they kept putting 'only "suitable for" halal' or something of that sort.

E.g: Oreo Chocolate flavoured sandwich biscuit with vanilla filling (only "suitable for" Halal) [calf rennet inclusion]

The Oreos I got are the double stuff Oreos (yummm!) and I have so much work to do tonight, I realllly want to much into it whilst I work! I started eating it and then got waswas about this issue (I do have bad waswas with all things) so I put it aside.

Any views on this??

http://www.gmwa.org.uk/foodguide2/?p...uestion&id=237 (scroll towards the end)
http://www.oreo.eu/oreo/page?siteid=...cRef=633#ans11

Thank you!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Hamza Asadullah
02-19-2012, 03:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aishath
Asalaamu alaykum,

I saw it on their website that it is suitable for a Muslim diet as it contains no pork derived ingredients and alcoholic ingredients. The GMWA website confused me a bit as they kept putting 'only "suitable for" halal' or something of that sort.

E.g: Oreo Chocolate flavoured sandwich biscuit with vanilla filling (only "suitable for" Halal) [calf rennet inclusion]

The Oreos I got are the double stuff Oreos (yummm!) and I have so much work to do tonight, I realllly want to much into it whilst I work! I started eating it and then got waswas about this issue (I do have bad waswas with all things) so I put it aside.

Any views on this??

http://www.gmwa.org.uk/foodguide2/?p...uestion&id=237 (scroll towards the end)
http://www.oreo.eu/oreo/page?siteid=...cRef=633#ans11

Thank you!
:sl:

Oreos are not currently halal:

http://www.oreo.eu/oreo/page?siteid=...cRef=633#ans06

Snowflake
02-24-2012, 10:46 PM
It says they are not suitable for vegans/vegetarians but then it says that the ones on sale in the UK are suitable for muslims? Unless the product is being produced in different countries, it's confusing. The best thing is to contact them and ask for a clarification. I've bought Oreos for my son in the past and I am 100% sure it said suitable for vegetarians, otherwise I wouldn't have bought them. Now I'm worrying I might have made a mistake :S

Aishath
02-26-2012, 10:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dying Rose
It says they are not suitable for vegans/vegetarians but then it says that the ones on sale in the UK are suitable for muslims? Unless the product is being produced in different countries, it's confusing. The best thing is to contact them and ask for a clarification. I've bought Oreos for my son in the past and I am 100% sure it said suitable for vegetarians, otherwise I wouldn't have bought them. Now I'm worrying I might have made a mistake :S
Asalaamu alaykum,

I don't recall it having been vegetarian in UK in the past but I might be wrong on this. I think there is a difference of opinion regarding calf rennet or something perhaps? I have heard that some consider it halal and some don't? It's on the GMWA website I posted below too regarding calf rennet. I am ASSUMING this might be why it is not vegetarian. It is weird that a lot of halal takeaways also seem to offer oreo milkshakes etc. I love Oreos but I'll just have to wait till I get home Insha Allah. We get halal Oreos back home I think.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Soulja Girl
02-26-2012, 11:19 PM

Hmm.. I'm sure they are.. Our local Muslim shops have em in store.. Someone can confirm maybe..

:wa:

Snowflake
02-27-2012, 07:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Soulja Girl

Hmm.. I'm sure they are.. Our local Muslim shops have em in store.. Someone can confirm maybe..

Muslim shops don't check products sis. They sell tons of haram stuff. In my area for instance, a lot of shop owners are from back home and wouldn't know a product was haram if it said 'contains pork' on it. Worst though are those who know that something is haram and continue to sell it.

Aishath
02-27-2012, 05:13 PM
Our local Muslim shops have em in store
Yeah it was things like these that made me think it was halal but I am going to go by Brother Hamza's answer that it is not halal as I myself do have doubts as to why it isn't vegetarian for one thing.

Snowflake
02-29-2012, 11:07 AM
:sl: sis Aishath

I called Oreos for a clarification. They said that Oreos aren't suitable for vegetarians because they can rennet (an enzyme derived from calf's stomach. But as for halal, there is a difference of opinion. Some scholars permit the use of rennet whereas others have declared it haram (depending on the source). According to islamqa, it's permissible to eat cheese containing rennet (i.e. non-vegetarian cheese), which means that according to Islamqa, Oreos containing rennet are halal.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. And Allah knows best.

http://islamqa.info/en/ref/115306

innocent
03-01-2012, 02:57 PM
So does that mean we can eat em?

Aishath
03-01-2012, 09:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dying Rose
I called Oreos for a clarification. They said that Oreos aren't suitable for vegetarians because they can rennet (an enzyme derived from calf's stomach. But as for halal, there is a difference of opinion. Some scholars permit the use of rennet whereas others have declared it haram (depending on the source). According to islamqa, it's permissible to eat cheese containing rennet (i.e. non-vegetarian cheese), which means that according to Islamqa, Oreos containing rennet are halal.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. And Allah knows best.
Asalaamu alaykum,

Oh thank you for calling them up sis :)

I had a feeling it was to do with calf rennet and from what I know the difference of opinion is based on the schools of thought. Like one school of thought says it is okay and other consider it najis. I only recently learnt that my country follow the Shaafi madhab apparently because I used to just try to fit in all four or whatever in the past and that made things really difficult. So perhaps it depends on what madhab one follows?

I shall try to find some info on this Insha Allah and let you all know asap.

Hamza Asadullah
03-01-2012, 11:56 PM
Asalaamu alaykum,

I had a feeling it was to do with calf rennet and from what I know the difference of opinion is based on the schools of thought. Like one school of thought says it is okay and other consider it najis. I only recently learnt that my country follow the Shaafi madhab apparently because I used to just try to fit in all four or whatever in the past and that made things really difficult. So perhaps it depends on what madhab one follows?

There is indeed a difference of opinion of the madhabs regarding the permissability of non halal calf rennet. Hanafi scholars have deemed it permissable but have concluded that due to the differences of opinion it is piety to avoid it if one can but that if a person was to consume it then there would be no blame upon them.

And Allah knows best in all matters

Snowflake
03-02-2012, 08:45 AM
Asalaamu alaykum,

You're welcome sis : )

But the good news is that they are looking to make Oreos suitable for vegetarians soon! So it'd probably be more pious to avoid them until then.

Hamza Asadullah:

There is indeed a difference of opinion of the madhabs regarding the permissability of non halal calf rennet. Hanafi scholars have deemed it permissable but have concluded that due to the differences of opinion it is piety to avoid it if one can but that if a person was to consume it then there would be no blame upon them.

And Allah knows best in all matters
Masha Allah, I agree

Soulja Girl
03-02-2012, 10:08 AM

Explains why we still eat em.. Yippee! :D.. Hehe

ardianto
03-02-2012, 11:12 AM

Explains why we still eat em.. Yippee! :D.. Hehe

Alhamdulillah, I am living in Indonesia where Oreo have Halal label. :statisfie

Samiun
03-02-2012, 11:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto

Alhamdulillah, I am living in Indonesia where Oreo have Halal label. :statisfie

:sl: alhamdulillah..

There's lots of food we can get here that aren't halal in the UK because of the halal logo that the muftis have created

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!