/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is this classed as copying?

Salahudeen
02-16-2012, 10:00 PM
I'm trying to write something in my own words, but it looks very similar to the original.

G.711 is an ITU-T (International Telecommunications Union) standard which describes the 64 Kbps PCM (Pulse code Modulation) voice coding method.

G.711 is an ITU-T (International Telecommunications Union) standard that defines the 64 Kbps PCM (Pulse code Modulation) audio coding process. :hmm:

The top one is the original, not sure how to write it more in my own words. what do you think.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Who Am I?
02-16-2012, 11:09 PM
:sl:

I'm not sure you can avoid the similarities, really.

Just out of curiosity, are you an electrical engineer? This sounds like something my dad would write...

'Abd-al Latif
02-16-2012, 11:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Salahudeen
I'm trying to write something in my own words, but it looks very similar to the original.

G.711 is an ITU-T (International Telecommunications Union) standard which describes the 64 Kbps PCM (Pulse code Modulation) voice coding method.

G.711 is an ITU-T (International Telecommunications Union) standard that defines the 64 Kbps PCM (Pulse code Modulation) audio coding process. :hmm:

The top one is the original, not sure how to write it more in my own words. what do you think.
Yes that's pretty much copying. The alteration of a word or two doesn't make it much different from the original. What isn't considered copyrighting, plagiarism etc is

a) if you change the original source of whatever so much that it can't be recognised with the original anymore;
b) you quote your findings/research etc with a clear reference to the original;
c) wherever you are copying from permit you to use their things, but still you have to quote where you got your information from.

Abz2000
02-16-2012, 11:38 PM
lol check this out:

still a nice music free version though for those who avoid it

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
yas2010
02-22-2012, 09:39 AM
Salaam Bro,

be very careful if you are writing a piece for submission for university or college. Plagarism, is hugely frowned upon within education establishments. As i was graduating from my MSc the department that i studying within was designing some highly sophisticated software to detect plagarism in conjunction with other universities. best thing to do is reference quote, stats etc. Better be safe than sorry

Jzk

Muhaba
02-22-2012, 10:17 AM
some things are common knowledge so it doesn;t matter if you use the same words as some book. i'm not sure if this defination falls into that category. if you are including it in some work, include references to show where you got it. there are special reference styles that you can use. i don't remember them exactly, but it's something like this: in the text you would include the author's last name and then quote the material and at the end of what you a writing, include a list containing the author's name, book title, page number, etc. of all the material that you borrowed fromsome other work.
find exactly how you should include references to avoid plagiarism.

Muezzin
02-22-2012, 11:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Salahudeen

As Writer said above, you could simply quote the original definition and correctly reference it.

General tips for putting things into your own words:

1) Read the original. (e.g. the original says 'London bridge, as opposed to the Tower Bridge or the Millenium Bridge, is currently in the process of collapsing.')
2) Understand it. (e.g. your thought process is 'basically, London bridge is falling down. Tower Bridge and the Millenium Bridge are irrelevant.')
3) Write based on your understanding rather than the original (e.g. you write 'London bridge is falling down.')

Obviously you need to adapt the writing style for academic writing and whatnot, but the key is to understand what the original is saying rather than simply changing a word here or there.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!