/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with listening

Samiun
02-21-2012, 02:50 PM
:sl: I don't know why, but I have trouble with listening. Whenever the teacher is teaching, I would try to focus on what he/she is trying to say then after he/she asks me a question I forgot almost everything I listened to. It's embarrassing to admit it in front of class that you don't know anything about the subject. It's also frustrating whenever I hope to listen better but in the end I couldn't really catch what my teacher is saying.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
GodIsAll
02-21-2012, 04:16 PM
I am not a doctor or a psychologist; however, I do teach biology and chemistry. One possibility may be a condition know as ADD or ADHD. This is caused by a nuerochemical imbalance in the frontal cortex. Sometimes, medications can be prescribed that allow for better focus by lightly stimulating this area of the brain.

The treatments are contoversial in some circuits as low doses of amphetamines are used. I don't know, but this may be out of the question for those of the Muslim faith.

Do some research, PM me, or see your physician if you have questions.

Who Am I?
02-21-2012, 04:40 PM
:sl:

ADD.

I have it too. I can't concentrate at work and can't stay focused long enough to do anything. I get bored easily. I have way too many projects that I have started but never finished. I just can't seem to find the motivation to do anything.

Salahudeen
02-23-2012, 02:59 AM
I have this problem, if I write what the teacher is saying I can force my mind to stay tuned, but if I'm just sitting there idle, I begin day dreaming.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
CosmicPathos
02-23-2012, 04:17 AM
well you cant get be diagnosed with ADHD with just the only problem of "forgetting." You have to meet a list of criteria in order to be diagnosed.

ADHD is of two types, impulsive/hyperactive and inattentive. You have to have more than 6 symptoms for more than 6 months in order to be diagnosed by ADHD.

The only front line treatments are stimulants: adderall, concerta, biphentin, vyvanse.

I'd suggest you to see your psychiatrist.

@GodisAll: its Islamic faith, not Muslim faith. Muslim is just a follower of Islam.

ILuvAllah
02-23-2012, 05:35 AM
I think I also have ADD. I never listen to lectures, I just keep day dreaming or become bored lol. It is so difficult for me to stay focused :(

Abz2000
02-23-2012, 06:41 AM
i've noticed that visual media does this more since it's more interesting and constantly new,
it is a fact that children who watch less tv tend to concentrate better when reading, the tv kids' brains are so overstimulated that books and undecorated musicless talks bore them and cause them to quickly lose interest.
i have been allowing the kids to watch a lot of youtube cartoons (tv is unplugged permanently) and am noticing their inability to concentrate.

audiovisual media has an almost hypnotic effect on the brain and causes a person to put down their guard and consume almost everything that comes towards them.
it is difficult after that to achieve the same type of mental stimulation with normal events.

if a person does less and has less distractions and events taking place in their lives, they are usually better at absorbing minuter details of the events they do see and hear.

i learned this from practice when i took almost a year out of everyday life to just read books and pray with no tv or internet.
i was finding that i could remember everything i read without any trouble whatsoever, i was also able to analyse more what people said during discussions.

Salahudeen
02-23-2012, 01:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by luv4Allah
I think I also have ADD. I never listen to lectures, I just keep day dreaming or become bored lol. It is so difficult for me to stay focused :(
Could that just be a result of lack of interest? Do you still find it hard to focus when something you're really interested in is being presented?

GodIsAll
02-23-2012, 02:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abz2000
i've noticed that visual media does this more since it's more interesting and constantly new,
it is a fact that children who watch less tv tend to concentrate better when reading, the tv kids' brains are so overstimulated that books and undecorated musicless talks bore them and cause them to quickly lose interest.
i have been allowing the kids to watch a lot of youtube cartoons (tv is unplugged permanently) and am noticing their inability to concentrate.

audiovisual media has an almost hypnotic effect on the brain and causes a person to put down their guard and consume almost everything that comes towards them.
it is difficult after that to achieve the same type of mental stimulation with normal events.

if a person does less and has less distractions and events taking place in their lives, they are usually better at absorbing minuter details of the events they do see and hear.

i learned this from practice when i took almost a year out of everyday life to just read books and pray with no tv or internet.
i was finding that i could remember everything i read without any trouble whatsoever, i was also able to analyse more what people said during discussions.
I agree in that ADD/ADHD is totally overdiagnosed; however, it is a very real phenomenon in some people.

GodIsAll
02-23-2012, 02:54 PM
Sorry, people. I have several links that I am trying to post for you; however, I am denied the privilege to do so at this time. (Too new!)

Haya emaan
02-23-2012, 08:18 PM
Assalam o alaikum

listening problems may arise where there is lack of interest or diversion of attention and thoughts. I had a similar experience today when during the lecture i felt that i could study the topic by my self, listening to lecture was not needed but boring.

such problems can be overcome by discovering ways that force you to take interest. For example as brother said writing or taking notes of the lecture. This keeps your attention from diverting in other things such as making drawings in your note book, day dreaming, thinking of other matters etc.

i think Lecture method in teaching some time really gets very boring unless little discussion method is also introduced with it. If students are forced to take part they will be willing to listen too. So if possible try to speak out your questions, queries or share knowledge about the topic.

(i m thinking of creating a thread for sharing personal experiences on how we force ourselves to maintain our attention/interest towards boring lectures. this will come up with many helpful ideas)

format_quote Originally Posted by Abz2000

During my Teaching tests i learned that students are more interested in listening and learn more easily if your lecture is accompanied with some audio visual aids.. the response i got was that they have understood more clearly than they do from their regular classes.

but i agree that introduction of audio visual aids in teaching have effected their reading skills.

Who Am I?
02-24-2012, 04:23 AM
TV killed books, and internet killed TV.

So what's going to kill the internet?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!