/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Prophet Jesus (pbuh) never drank Alcoholic Wine

User_23338
02-23-2012, 10:20 PM
here are the links that explain this

there are 2 wines mentioned in the bible, wine is not just alcoholic, there is also non-alcoholic wine too.

this link is from a bible studies website

http://www.biblebc.com/Studies/Disci...rong_drink.htm

here's another

http://www.johnhamelministries.org/wine_lie_Jesus.htm

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Predator
02-25-2012, 10:44 AM
He never ate pork either and infact he destroyed 2000 pigs to heal one man

Pork was a great deliacy for Romans and thus the lies were being made in the Bible that Jesus said all food was clean

But these were lies as shown below

http://www.ucg.org/doctrinal-beliefs...l-meats-clean/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sZlnsHFJgI

GodIsAll
02-28-2012, 02:42 PM
I've heard this argument from some southern Baptists in America as well.

Darth Ultor
02-28-2012, 02:55 PM
So is grape juice halal?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
GodIsAll
02-28-2012, 02:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Darth Ultor
So is grape juice halal?
I wouldn't think so, just as long as it doesn't ferment!

Who Am I?
02-28-2012, 04:33 PM
:sl:

Eh, I don't think anything is wrong with alcohol itself. God made wheat and grapes, and the bacteria for fermentation. ;D

It does have some medicinal properties. But like anything else, it can be misused and abused.

GodIsAll
02-28-2012, 04:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Who Am I?
Eh, I don't think anything is wrong with alcohol itself. God made wheat and grapes, and the bacteria for fermentation.

It does have some medicinal properties. But like anything else, it can be misused and abused.
Oh, I agree. Alcohol is a deadly influence for many people.

Who Am I?
02-28-2012, 06:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by GodIsAll
Oh, I agree. Alcohol is a deadly influence for many people.
It is one of my greatest struggles. I coped with years of loneliness, boredom, and depression because of alcohol. I drank not because I wanted to, but because I thought I had to. For me it was the only way I could cope with my issues.

GodIsAll
02-28-2012, 06:22 PM
I rarely drink.
I have found myself drinking more since the death of my mother a few months ago, though. It doesn't help. I just put it away a few weeks ago and found other more productive ways to deal with the loss.

Who Am I?
02-28-2012, 06:29 PM
I rarely drink.
I have found myself drinking more since the death of my mother a few months ago, though. It doesn't help. I just put it away a few weeks ago and found other more productive ways to deal with the loss.

As you know, I tried to quit drinking last year, until some friends of mine staged a reverse intervention for me to start drinking again.

Now I am 30 days sober right now and it's getting tougher. I had some withdrawal headaches the other day. But I am talking to a sister right now and we're thinking about getting married, and she hates alcohol. So at least I have some motivation to not drink anymore...

GodIsAll
02-28-2012, 06:33 PM
My wife of 15 years, a devout Southern Baptist, loathes it as well.

Good luck with your engagement proceedings! May the path for you two be as Allah will it.

Who Am I?
02-28-2012, 06:45 PM
My wife of 15 years, a devout Southern Baptist, loathes it as well.

Good luck with your engagement proceedings! May the path for you two be as Allah will it.
My own mother is from a conservative Southern Baptist household and she hates alcohol also. My father used to drink, but he quit before I was born and has not touched it since.

Anyway, thanks, brother. It is all in Allah's hands...

Pygoscelis
02-28-2012, 09:51 PM
Now I am 30 days sober right now and it's getting tougher. I had some withdrawal headaches the other day. But I am talking to a sister right now and we're thinking about getting married, and she hates alcohol. So at least I have some motivation to not drink anymore...
Congratulations on finding each other, and congratulations on your sobriety. Alcohol really can be destructive. I hardly ever touch the stuff. I don't like the feeling of losing control of my senses.

Ramadhan
02-28-2012, 11:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Darth Ultor
So is grape juice halal?
yes, grape juice is absolutely halal.

Ramadhan
02-29-2012, 12:09 AM
Eh, I don't think anything is wrong with alcohol itself. God made wheat and grapes, and the bacteria for fermentation.

It is true, alcohol is not wrong in itself. God also made many things in this world which we are not allowed to be even near it if not following procedures. For example: God created man and woman, so why can't they be together as they wish as long as they like each other, and they don't harm anyone else?
or you can substitute "man and woman" with "man and man". Why can't they be together? God created men, right?

We must go back to the tawheed: Oneness of God (La Ilaaha Ilallaahu), which should transcend to everything in life, including the acknowledgement that God knows everything, and God knows what is good and what is bad for us, and that God only wants us to always on the side of good.

Yes, alcohol does have medicinal properties, and there's good in alcohol, however, it also has plenty of adverse effects which far outweigh its goodness.

As God (swt) says in the Qur'an:

They ask you about wine and gambling. Say, "In them is great sin and [yet, some] benefit for people. But their sin is greater than their benefit." And they ask you what they should spend. Say, "The excess [beyond needs]." Thus Allah makes clear to you the verses [of revelation] that you might give thought. (QS. al Baqarah:219).

Brother who am I, I must commend you on your resolute to stay away from alcohol. I know it is hard and difficult and May Allah SWT gives you strength to stay on the straight path. Just so you know, every one of us is also in struggle in different ways. This life is not meant to be easy and our true rewards is in the afterlife if we don't feel it in this world.

Scimitar
02-29-2012, 02:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ramadhan
They ask you about wine and gambling. Say, "In them is great sin and [yet, some] benefit for people. But their sin is greater than their benefit." And they ask you what they should spend. Say, "The excess [beyond needs]." Thus Allah makes clear to you the verses [of revelation] that you might give thought. (QS. al Baqarah:219).
This made me have one of those WOW moments... I can't explain, and I just couldn't keep it to my self...

Scimi

MustafaMc
02-29-2012, 04:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ramadhan

yes, grape juice is absolutely halal.
Halal means permissable. There is no alcohol in grape juice.

MustafaMc
02-29-2012, 04:28 AM
But I am talking to a sister right now and we're thinking about getting married, and she hates alcohol. So at least I have some motivation to not drink anymore...
Way cool, thinking about marriage. However, IMO a better motivation to not drink would be obedience to Allah ;-) because there most likely will be difficult times in any intimate relationship.

Who Am I?
02-29-2012, 05:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by MustafaMc
Way cool, thinking about marriage. However, IMO a better motivation to not drink would be obedience to Allah ;-) because there most likely will be difficult times in any intimate relationship.
Well, I have known for a while that alcohol is not good, and I knew that it was wrong to drink too much, but I did it anyway. Not because I wanted to, but because I was lonely, and that was how I dealt with the pain of that loneliness. But now things are different. I have a new perspective on things, and I finally feel like I have the support and the motivation that I need to quit drinking for good this time.

User_23338
03-23-2012, 03:46 AM
Its very sad to see that most christians will defend alcohol and still believe that Jesus (pbuh) drank Alcoholic wine. These christians either don't read their bible at all or they probably just just interpret the bible in the way that it makes them feel comfortable.

Who Am I?
03-23-2012, 04:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MrKhan89
Its very sad to see that most christians will defend alcohol and still believe that Jesus (pbuh) drank Alcoholic wine. These christians either don't read their bible at all or they probably just just interpret the bible in the way that it makes them feel comfortable.
According to the Bible, Jesus not only drank wine, he CREATED it from water. This was my ringing endorsement of alcohol for years...

Hulk
03-23-2012, 10:46 PM
Try to differentiate between the voice of your lower self(nafs) and your own. Your lower self will desire many wrongful things and it will find a way to "reason" with you so that it get what it wants. Like a child, if you always give in to it, it will get more and more stubborn. You have to be strict with it akhi, i had another addiction myself though it was not alcohol(never touched it). I haven't gave in to my addiction for about 5 months now. Most importantly you have to recognise that the only way you can really beat it is to turn to Allah for help, on our own we are helpless.:statisfie

Who Am I?
03-24-2012, 05:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hulk
Try to differentiate between the voice of your lower self(nafs) and your own. Your lower self will desire many wrongful things and it will find a way to "reason" with you so that it get what it wants. Like a child, if you always give in to it, it will get more and more stubborn. You have to be strict with it akhi, i had another addiction myself though it was not alcohol(never touched it). I haven't gave in to my addiction for about 5 months now. Most importantly you have to recognise that the only way you can really beat it is to turn to Allah for help, on our own we are helpless.:statisfie
Well I have not had a drink of alcohol in almost two months now. I did go four months the last time before my friends staged a "reverse intervention" to have me start drinking again...

Hulk
03-24-2012, 08:47 AM
That's good man, you can do it! InshaAllah :bravo:

Who Am I?
03-24-2012, 05:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hulk
That's good man, you can do it! InshaAllah :bravo:
It's not as hard when I am by myself. The real test will be when I am around all of my friends that drink.

MustafaMc
03-24-2012, 07:47 PM
The real test will be when I am around all of my friends that drink.
With 'friends' like that who needs enemies?

User_23338
09-06-2012, 02:25 AM
i really don't even like people that drink alcohol, when you clearly realize that alcohol is a evil sin and these so called people pretend as if its not a big deal,

How can Allah even create messed up people like this, i mean seriously. Is Allah even gonna fix these people and make them go to the deen?

Marina-Aisha
09-06-2012, 09:06 AM
I'm sorry bother who I am but they don't sound like friends, they know you want to quit yet they tempt you to drink? To me that's not friendship maybe u could meet some nice bothers at mosque or maybe it's just better to have no friends then bad friends..

Scimitar
09-06-2012, 09:07 PM
i really don't even like people that drink alcohol, when you clearly realize that alcohol is a evil sin and these so called people pretend as if its not a big deal,

How can Allah even create messed up people like this, i mean seriously. Is Allah even gonna fix these people and make them go to the deen?
Questioning the Wisdom of Allah is something we should not do.

People who drink alcohol habitually have an illness. It is addictive. And we should look at these people with mercy, not contempt. And aim to help them, by befriending those who seem like they want to be helped... and actually help them, through kindness. And not lecturing them all the time about hell fire and what happens to people who drink alcohol, when and if they go to hell?

Habib Ali al Jifri teaches us some of the qualities of piety here:

Scimi

Scimitar
09-06-2012, 09:21 PM
It's not as hard when I am by myself. The real test will be when I am around all of my friends that drink.
Some will say to abandon these friends...

We are taught in Islam that we should not abandon them altogether - but stay away from situations where temptation may be an issue.

I used to have my addictions too. When I turned to Islam, I stayed away from all my bad influence friends for a period of 4 months...

Then came the day when I was speaking to a learnt elder and I asked him if it is ok that I see these friends of mine, and he said that I should never break bonds - even with non believers...

I asked why, and he told me that Islam is submission to Allah. And that who knows? Maybe some of them will see what Islam really is thru my own struggles, and form a better opinion of it - in the least? and at the most - I may be the tool that Allah uses in order to invite them to Islam, thru the example I set.

Then came the day when i saw them again, I had a beard, was wearing thowb, and my jeans were rolled above the ankles. They knew I wanted to leave my old ways a long time ago... and when they would calll me in those first four months, it was tempting to go and join them - but i always said "another time" and explained that I was busy learning about my religion and that this is a better buzz than smoking dope... they didnt believe me... but that's them.

The day we met, after an absence from each others company for over 4 months, was a real surprise - I got compliments, I wasnt expecting that. They would ask questions about Islam, and they actually would sit attentive and listen. yeah they had a beer in their hands, but so what? They listened...

These friends of mine, had a very warped view of Islam before I turned back to Islam... and now, they speak up for it, despite not being Muslims themselves. If they ever have questions on Islam - they come to me, and not rely on the media. I go to their houses, with books and with my laptop.

In fact, I'm about to go and meet with kevin, so we can go and watch Batman the dark Knight Rises, in a few short minutes... [EDIT = not going now, we wont make it in time]

No doubt, the journey there and back will involve a conversation revolving around ethics, as we have been discussing this all week anyway.

Alhamdulillah.

You don't need to give up your friends bro - just be firm, and be patient with them, and ask them to respect your beliefs, and teach them how to respect your beliefs. :)

I trust you to Allahs care and guidance, Ameen.

Soon, I will have to make you a new avatar :) God bless you bro, Ameen. You;ve come a LOOOOONG WAY, and I'm proud to call you my brother :) [ does electric boogaloo, shuffles over to bro who am I, gives auto-hug and hi-5] :D

Scimi

Who Am I?
09-07-2012, 03:05 PM

Thanks, bro.

I have learned a lot about myself these past months that I have been away. I am more in touch with who I am and who I am supposed to be, and all those years of feeling like an alien finally make sense. I don't belong in Western culture. I don't belong in Western society. I am a Eastern man trapped in a Western man's body. I am a brown man trapped in a white man's body.

I realize that now, and I am trying to make up for all those years that I missed out on living my true life. I am spending most of my free time learning about the Eastern way of life, and I realize that this life is what I have missed all these years. The Eastern values of family and living simply clash with the Western culture of greed and individualism. This is why I have felt like an alien, and why I don't belong here in the West.

As for my friends, I still talk to them, but I have not been out with them in months. I have so many other things going on right now that I don't even have time to think about going out and having a beer with the lads.

muslimah bird
09-08-2012, 10:00 AM

As you know, I tried to quit drinking last year, until some friends of mine staged a reverse intervention for me to start drinking again.
You should avoid making friends with such drunkards who tempt you into sin like this . Infact, the Prophet(SAWS) has said that you should not even sit with the drunkard, visit their sick or attend their funerals.

Redeemed
09-09-2012, 09:32 PM
Jesus turned water to wine. They called Him a wine bibber. They don't call you things like that unless you drank wine.

جوري
09-10-2012, 03:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Redeemed
Jesus turned water to wine
That was Dionysus. Bible writers loved stealing Greek fables!

Modern scholars such as Martin Hengel, Barry Powell, and Peter Wick, among others, argue that Dionysian religion and Christianity have notable parallels. They point to the symbolism of wine and the importance it held in the mythology surrounding both Dionysus and Jesus Christ;[43][44] though, Wick argues that the use of wine symbolism in the Gospel of John, including the story of the Marriage at Cana at which Jesus turns water into wine, was intended to show Jesus as superior to Dionysus.[45]
Scholars of comparative mythology identify both Dionysus and Jesus with the dying-and-returning god mythological archetype.[7] Other elements, such as the celebration by a ritual meal of bread and wine, also have parallels.[46] Powell, in particular, argues precursors to the Catholic notion of transubstantiation can be found in Dionysian religion.[46]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dionysus
best,

Who Am I?
09-11-2012, 02:57 AM

Modern Christianity has borrowed many elements of pagan religions, including its two biggest holidays, Christmas and Easter.

Modern Christianity is far from what true Christianity is and used to be.

Logikon
09-14-2012, 03:30 AM

Modern Christianity has borrowed many elements of pagan religions, including its two biggest holidays, Christmas and Easter.

The Jews celebrate Passover once a year.

Christ was a Jew.

The meal known as The Last Supper was Christ celebrating the Passover with his disciples.

The next day was a Friday and Christ was crucified. On the Sunday morning he rose from the dead.

Christians did not get Easter from Pagans!

Aprender
09-14-2012, 04:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Logikon
Actually, there is a difference of opinion among Christians on this issue. When I was a Christian, we did not celebrate Easter. Below are sources from various Christian churches.

Evidence of Pagan origin:
http://cbcg.org/should_christians_celebrate_easter.htm
http://biblicalstudies.info/easter.htm
http://jehovah.to/exe/general/easter.htm
http://www.ucg.org/holidays-and-holy...-do-they-know/

Counterargument:
http://www.gci.org/church/holidays/easter

Free to draw your own conclusions.

Who Am I?
09-14-2012, 03:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Logikon
The Jews celebrate Passover once a year.

Christ was a Jew.

The meal known as The Last Supper was Christ celebrating the Passover with his disciples.

The next day was a Friday and Christ was crucified. On the Sunday morning he rose from the dead.

I wasn't talking about that part. The timing of when Easter occurs in modern society was "borrowed" from pagan festivals of spring.

TG123
09-18-2012, 11:55 PM
I would like to jump into this one. I strongly respect people, from any faith, who choose to not drink. Alcohol, when misused, has caused and does cause horrific harm. As a substitute teacher and volunteer in the inner city, I have seen the effects of FAS and broken homes, and how messed up kids are who come from families where alcoholism is rampant.

Having said that... I see no evidence in the Bible saying drinking alcohol is sinful. The Bible clearly says drunkenness is a sin, there is no doubt about that.

However, there is nothing in the Bible about 'non-alcoholic' wine. I looked at the sites, and they do not back up with Scripture what they are asserting. Jesus drank wine, and nowhere in the Bible does it say that it was nonalcoholic. Because it came from grapes does not mean it was without alcohol, wine is often made from grapes.

Wine can be drank in moderation. It can also be drunk in excess. The same is true of fast food, sweets, and medications. The church my wife and I go to is located in one of the most impoverished and violent parts of our city... precisely why the church set up... because we are called to serve the poor because by doing so we serve Jesus. I have seen people outside doing drugs, and what they are often selling isn't marijuana or cocaine, but methadone.

Methadone is a pain relief. It is meant to be taken when a person is in pain. Some however will take it to get 'high'.

Have you seen Super Size Me? The movie does a great job in showing how unhealthy fast food is. Having it three times a day (in excess) will cause health problems. Having a burger twice a month won't.

Alcohol, like many other things, can be ingested and even enjoyed in moderation. It can also be taken in excess, and when that happens, it causes destruction.

TG123
09-18-2012, 11:58 PM
Actually, many Christians who do so both read their Bible, and understand what it says. Many of them don't drink either, but they aren't going to state that the Bible states things that it actually does not.

MustafaMc
09-19-2012, 12:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by TG123
I see no evidence in the Bible saying drinking alcohol is sinful.
I agree with you and neither does it say anything about gambling (to my knowledge) even though many Christian will tell you that both are wrong. My dad (Christian) was not particularly religious, but he was dead set against gambling and drinking alcohol. Quoting from the Qur'an, "They ask you (O Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم) concerning alcoholic drink and gambling. Say: "In them is a great sin, and (some) benefit for men, but the sin of them is greater than their benefit." 2:219 Given the high potential for addiction and the potentially extreme adverse effects of those addictions, I would have to agree with what the Qur'an says.

TG123
09-19-2012, 01:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by MustafaMc
I agree with you and neither does it say anything about gambling (to my knowledge) even though many Christian will tell you that both are wrong. My dad (Christian) was not particularly religious, but he was dead set against gambling and drinking alcohol. Quoting from the Qur'an, "They ask you (O Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم) concerning alcoholic drink and gambling. Say: "In them is a great sin, and (some) benefit for men, but the sin of them is greater than their benefit." 2:219 Given the high potential for addiction and the potentially extreme adverse effects of those addictions, I would have to agree with what the Qur'an says.
Does the Quran also ban taking painkillers? Very high potential for addiction and terrible effects on those who take them.

Does it ban fast food? Have you seen people who eat at MacDonalds every day? Are you aware of the scale of obesity and related deaths?

جوري
09-19-2012, 02:16 AM
Does the Quran also ban taking painkillers? Very high potential for addiction and terrible effects on those who take them.
rules of Islamic medical ethics are 1) Necessity overrides prohibition that is if there are certain items which are islamically prohibited, under dire necessity they can become permissible. 2) Accept the lesser of the two harms if both can not be avoided. 3) Public interest overrides the individual interest. 4) Harm has to be removed at every cost if possible. Islamic Medical Ethics also upholds the four basic principles of biomedical ethics which are 1) Respect for the autonomy, 2) Beneficence, 3) Nonmaleficence, and 4) Distributive Justice.

http://www.isna.net/Leadership/pages...al-Ethics.aspx

taking pain killers and taking the edge off are two different categories wouldn't you agree?

TG123
09-19-2012, 02:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by منوة الخيال

rules of Islamic medical ethics are 1) Necessity overrides prohibition that is if there are certain items which are islamically prohibited, under dire necessity they can become permissible. 2) Accept the lesser of the two harms if both can not be avoided. 3) Public interest overrides the individual interest. 4) Harm has to be removed at every cost if possible. Islamic Medical Ethics also upholds the four basic principles of biomedical ethics which are 1) Respect for the autonomy, 2) Beneficence, 3) Nonmaleficence, and 4) Distributive Justice.

taking pain killers and taking the edge off are two different categories wouldn't you agree?
Some people choose to suffer in pain rather than take painkillers, so taking a methadone is not a "dire necessity". What do you mean by "taking the edge off"?

جوري
09-19-2012, 02:44 AM
Some people choose to suffer in pain rather than take painkillers, so taking a methadone is not a "dire necessity". What do you mean by "taking the edge off"?
Pain is subjective although we can have physical signs of it- you're neither the patient nor the doctor so 'some people' per you is inconsequential here!

best,

TG123
09-19-2012, 02:48 AM
Pain is subjective although we can have physical signs of it- you're neither the patient nor the doctor so 'some people' per you is inconsequential here!

best,
I didn't say "some people" meant me. Stop making assumptions.

You didn't answer my question. What do you mean by 'taking the edge off'?

جوري
09-19-2012, 02:51 AM
I didn't say "some people" meant me. Stop making assumptions.

You didn't answer my question. What do you mean by 'taking the edge off'?
none questions get non answers.
As for 'taking the edge off' use the dictionary - you seem to exhibit problems with doing minor research whether on this thread or the other!

TG123
09-19-2012, 02:56 AM
none questions get non answers.
As for 'taking the edge off' use the dictionary - you seem to exhibit problems with doing minor research whether on this thread or the other!
I wanted you to define it, so we are on the same page. Do you mean drinking to avoid problems?

جوري
09-19-2012, 02:59 AM
There ya go there ya go .. Fantastic!

TG123
09-19-2012, 03:13 AM
There ya go there ya go .. Fantastic!
Aside from the sarcasm, you mispelled the word "you", but at least we are on the same page now.

I drink rarely, and never do that when I am stressed out. In fact, when you are stressed, that is the time to not drink. Drinking to avoid stress is a classic symptom of alcoholism. None of my friends who drink occasionally drink when they are stressed out or trying "to take the edge off" as you say.

A small cup of wine or beer is good sometimes with a meal. It is just as good as a cup of water or juice.

If you assume people who drink alcohol do it to escape stress, you are making (yet another) false assumption. Some do. Those who do are usually alcoholics. Most of us don't.

جوري
09-19-2012, 03:19 AM
Aside from the sarcasm, you mispelled the word "you", but at least we are on the same page now.
I misspelled it on purpose and speaking of 'misspelled' haha.. don't you just love irony?

I drink rarely, and never do that when I am stressed out. In fact, when you are stressed, that is the time to *not *drink. Drinking to avoid stress is a classic symptom of alcoholism. None of my friends who drink occasionally drink when they are stressed out or trying "to take the edge off" as you say.
How does this concern me or the topic?

A small cup of wine or beer is good sometimes with a meal. It is just as good as a cup of water or juice.
again point being?

If you assume people who drink alcohol do it to escape stress, you are making (yet another) false assumption. Some do. Those who do are usually alcoholics. Most of us don't.
I have made no such assumption - I don't really care for the reasons. My reply was per your medicinal purposes.

best,

TG123
09-19-2012, 03:26 AM

I misspelled it on purpose and speaking of 'misspelled' haha.. don't you just love irony?
LOL you got me there.

How does this concern me or the topic?

again point being?

I have made no such assumption - I don't really care for the reasons. My reply was per your medicinal purposes.

best,
Did you not write this:

In effect, you made the assumption that people who drink do so to escape their problems. That is the case for a minority of those who do so, not most of us.

جوري
09-19-2012, 03:43 AM
LOL you got me there.
Indeed!

Did you not write this:

In effect, you made the assumption that people who drink do so to escape their problems. That is the case for a minority of those who do so, not most of us.

[/QUOTE]

in response to this:

?
and your point being? I have already listed Islamic medical ethics, which state the conditions when prohibition is usurped.. Do you understand the premise? so we're not wasting posts upon posts on nonsense!

TG123
09-19-2012, 12:02 PM
Indeed!

Did you not write this:

in response to this:

and your point being? I have already listed Islamic medical ethics, which state the conditions when prohibition is usurped.. Do you understand the premise? so we're not wasting posts upon posts on nonsense![/QUOTE]
My point is that you made a false assumption about people who drink alcohol, judging the majority by the minority... similarly to how some view Muslims.

Thank you for sharing the Islamic medical ethics info. It seems you believe that alcohol and drugs can be taken only in dire circumstances.

Do you feel the same way about fast food and sweets? Taken in excess, they cause obesity and that contributes to a multitude of social problems and deaths.

جوري
09-19-2012, 01:48 PM
It seems you believe that alcohol and drugs can be taken only in dire circumstances.
How is alcohol a medication? unless it is used as a solvent which it is rarely!

Do you feel the same way about fast food and sweets? Taken in excess, they cause obesity and that contributes to a multitude of social problems and deaths.
Indeed obesity is frowned upon in Islam:
The Holy Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) warned us about the dangers and health hazards of overeating.
He advised us to fill our stomach with 1/3 food, 1/3 for drink, and 1/3 for air.
On the authority of Al-Miqdaam ibn Maadiy-Karib who said: I heard the Holy Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) saying: “No human ever filled a vessel worse than the stomach. Sufficient for any son of Adam are some morsels to keep his back straight. But if it must be, then one third for his food, one third for his drink and one third for his breath.” [Ahmad, At-Tirmidhi, An-Nasaa'I, Ibn Majah – Hadith sahih]
He also warned us about the perils of overeating.
On seeing a fat man, the Holy Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him said: “If you did not have a paunch (belly fat), it would be better for you. He also said: Overeating does not go with good health.” [Al-Haythami]
Try to remember this general rule: Eat to satisfy your hunger but not till you feel full.“Do not cast yourselves into destruction by your own hands.” (2:195)

we have the holy month of Ramadan to teach us how to be patient, how to empathize with those who are hungry all year round and to detox..
so your point being?

Predator
09-19-2012, 02:59 PM
The Bible prohibits the consumption of wine (Leviticus 10:9, Proverbs 4:17, 20:1).

Do not drink wine nor strong drink (Leviticus 10:9)

Wine [is] a mocker, strong drink [is] raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise. (Proverbs 20:1)

For they eat the bread of wickedness, and drink the wine of violence. (Proverbs 4:17)

But they also have erred through wine, and through strong drink are out of the way; the priest and the prophet have erred through strong drink, they are swallowed up of wine, they are out of the way through strong drink;they err in vision, they stumble [in] judgment. (Isaiah 28:7)

Awake, ye drunkards, and weep; and howl, all ye drinkers of wine, because of the new wine; for it is cut off from your mouth. (Joel 1:5)

*****dom and wine and new wine take away the heart. (Hosea 4:11)

According to the Bible, the Prophet Noah got drunk! (God forbid)

And Noah began [to be] an husbandman, and he planted a vineyard: And he drank of the wine, and was drunken; and he was uncovered within his tent. And Ham, the father of Canaan, saw the nakedness of his father,and told his two brethren without. And Shem and Japheth took a garment, and laid [it] upon both their shoulders, and went backward, and covered the nakedness of their father; and their faces [were] backward, and they saw not their father's nakedness. And Noah awoke from his wine, and knew what his younger son had done unto him. And he said, Cursed [be] Canaan; a servant of servants shall he be unto his brethren. (Genesis 9:20-25)

Prophet Lot commits incest from wine (God forbid)

Come, let us make our father drink wine, and we will lie with him, that we may preserve seed of our father. And they made their father drink wine that night: and the firstborn went in, and lay with her father; and he perceived not when she lay down, nor when she arose. And it came to pass on the morrow, that the firstborn said unto the younger, Behold, I lay yesternight with my father: let us make him drink wine this night also; and go thou in, [and] lie with him, that we may preserve seed of our father.And they made their father drink wine that night also: and the younger arose, and lay with him; and he perceived not when she lay down, nor when she arose. Thus were both the daughters of Lot with child by their father. (Genesis 19:33-26)

Although these stories are false because they teaches blasphemy against the holy Prophets Noah and Lot, they still convey a moral lesson for mankind that alcohol (wine) is the most dangerous substance that should be rejected by the true followers of Jesus.

TG123
09-20-2012, 03:34 AM
How is alcohol a medication? unless it is used as a solvent which it is rarely!
Where did I write it is a medication?

HIndeed obesity is frowned upon in Islam:
The Holy Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) warned us about the dangers and health hazards of overeating.
He advised us to fill our stomach with 1/3 food, 1/3 for drink, and 1/3 for air.
On the authority of Al-Miqdaam ibn Maadiy-Karib who said: I heard the Holy Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) saying: “No human ever filled a vessel worse than the stomach. Sufficient for any son of Adam are some morsels to keep his back straight. But if it must be, then one third for his food, one third for his drink and one third for his breath.” [Ahmad, At-Tirmidhi, An-Nasaa'I, Ibn Majah – Hadith sahih]
He also warned us about the perils of overeating.
On seeing a fat man, the Holy Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him said: “If you did not have a paunch (belly fat), it would be better for you. He also said: Overeating does not go with good health.” [Al-Haythami]
Try to remember this general rule: Eat to satisfy your hunger but not till you feel full.“Do not cast yourselves into destruction by your own hands.” (2:195)

we have the holy month of Ramadan to teach us how to be patient, how to empathize with those who are hungry all year round and to detox..
so your point being?
That wasn't my question. I asked if the Quran bans eating of sweets or fast food.

جوري
09-20-2012, 03:54 AM
Where did I write it is a medication?
Originally Posted by TG123

It seems you believe that alcohol and drugs can be taken only in dire circumstances.
What circumstance would make drinking alcohol dire in your opinion?

That wasn't my question. I asked if the Quran bans eating of sweets or fast food.
The Quran gives the fundamentals and I have summed those up for you briefly under Islamic medical ethics on the previous page.

best,

TG123
09-20-2012, 12:06 PM

What circumstance would make drinking alcohol dire in your opinion?
None. You are right here. Comparing it to medical drugs which are necessary was not a good analogy on my part.

The Quran gives the fundamentals and I have summed those up for you briefly under Islamic medical ethics on the previous page.

best,
OK, but does the Quran ban sweets or fast food? Yes or no? It's a simple question.

TG123
09-20-2012, 12:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Predator
The Bible prohibits the consumption of wine (Leviticus 10:9, Proverbs 4:17, 20:1).

Do not drink wine nor strong drink (Leviticus 10:9)

Wine [is] a mocker, strong drink [is] raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise. (Proverbs 20:1)

For they eat the bread of wickedness, and drink the wine of violence. (Proverbs 4:17)

But they also have erred through wine, and through strong drink are out of the way; the priest and the prophet have erred through strong drink, they are swallowed up of wine, they are out of the way through strong drink;they err in vision, they stumble [in] judgment. (Isaiah 28:7)

Awake, ye drunkards, and weep; and howl, all ye drinkers of wine, because of the new wine; for it is cut off from your mouth. (Joel 1:5)

*****dom and wine and new wine take away the heart. (Hosea 4:11)

And Noah began [to be] an husbandman, and he planted a vineyard: And he drank of the wine, and was drunken; and he was uncovered within his tent. And Ham, the father of Canaan, saw the nakedness of his father,and told his two brethren without. And Shem and Japheth took a garment, and laid [it] upon both their shoulders, and went backward, and covered the nakedness of their father; and their faces [were] backward, and they saw not their father's nakedness. And Noah awoke from his wine, and knew what his younger son had done unto him. And he said, Cursed [be] Canaan; a servant of servants shall he be unto his brethren. (Genesis 9:20-25)

Come, let us make our father drink wine, and we will lie with him, that we may preserve seed of our father. And they made their father drink wine that night: and the firstborn went in, and lay with her father; and he perceived not when she lay down, nor when she arose. And it came to pass on the morrow, that the firstborn said unto the younger, Behold, I lay yesternight with my father: let us make him drink wine this night also; and go thou in, [and] lie with him, that we may preserve seed of our father.And they made their father drink wine that night also: and the younger arose, and lay with him; and he perceived not when she lay down, nor when she arose. Thus were both the daughters of Lot with child by their father. (Genesis 19:33-26)

Although these stories are false because they teaches blasphemy against the holy Prophets Noah and Lot, they still convey a moral lesson for mankind that alcohol (wine) is the most dangerous substance that should be rejected by the true followers of Jesus.
Thanks for the post. Will respond to your points later.

جوري
09-20-2012, 02:27 PM
OK, but does the Quran ban sweets or fast food? Yes or no? It's a simple question.
I am not sure what's wrong with you, but I suggest you fix it.

best,

User_23338
09-20-2012, 11:22 PM
didn't you look at the two links i posted at the beginning of this thread?, bible clearly mentions 2 kinds of wines, old wine and new wine, they're not the same, they are different because one is non-alcoholic and the other is alcoholic, the bible doesn't specificially say "non-alcoholic" because it doesn't have to because the link posted explains everything.

Please read and don't post anything ignorant.

TG123
09-22-2012, 08:02 PM
Salaam Alaikum, Predator. Thank you for the post. Sorry it took me so long to respond.

[QUOTE=Predator;1541551]Do not drink wine nor strong drink (Leviticus 10:9)
Let us look at this verse in its context. God is speaking to Aaron here, and handing down instructions to him and his sons. They are to be Israel's rulers, and there is a higher expectation of them as political leaders. They are prohibited from drinking wine, yet this command is strictly given to them. In other parts of the Bible, God's people do drink wine. God Himself (in the form of Jesus) turned water to wine. Leviticus 10:9 was for a specific group of people.

Leviticus 10:8-11
8 And the Lord spoke to Aaron, saying, 9 “Drink no wine or strong drink, you or your sons with you, when you go into the tent of meeting, lest you die. It shall be a statute forever throughout your generations. 10 You are to distinguish between the holy and the common, and between the unclean and the clean, 11 and you are to teach the people of Israel all the statutes that the Lord has spoken to them by Moses.”

[QUOTE=Predator;1541551]Wine [is] a mocker, strong drink [is] raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise. (Proverbs 20:1)
Notice 'whoever is deceived by it'... a person who is deceived by wine or strong drink is one who becomes a slave to it.

This text has nothing to do with alcohol and everything to do with wicked people who harm others. The wine of violence and bread of wickedness are metaphors. This passage speaks of both wine and bread as evil- if it were a literal description of both it would mean that God demands His followers to also not eat bread!

God is not talking about wine and bread in this verse. Here it is in some context:

Proverbs 4:14-19

14 Do not enter the path of the wicked,
and do not walk in the way of the evil.
15 Avoid it; do not go on it;
turn away from it and pass on.
16 For they cannot sleep unless they have done wrong;
they are robbed of sleep unless they have made someone stumble.
17 For they eat the bread of wickedness
and drink the wine of violence.
18 But the path of the righteous is like the light of dawn,
which shines brighter and brighter until full day.
19 The way of the wicked is like deep darkness;
they do not know over what they stumble.

This verse is about the priests and prophets, who were supposed to not drink, but did so anyways.

This comes from the Book of Joel, which describes God's judgement that is coming to the nation of Judah, and orders its peoples to repent. It does not condemn the drinkers of wine for drinking, it tells them...and the whole nation... to repent. Here is Joel 1:1-12. Among the people told to be afraid and be ashamed are also 'tillers of the soil' (farmers) and vinedressers. Is farming forbidden by God? Or growing grapes? No! The warning is for everyone in Judah to repent before God.

An Invasion of Locusts

2 Hear this, you elders;
give ear, all inhabitants of the land!
Has such a thing happened in your days,
or in the days of your fathers?
3 Tell your children of it,
and let your children tell their children,
and their children to another generation.

4 What the cutting locust left,
the swarming locust has eaten.
What the swarming locust left,
the hopping locust has eaten,
and what the hopping locust left,
the destroying locust has eaten.

5 Awake, you drunkards, and weep,
and wail, all you drinkers of wine,
because of the sweet wine,
for it is cut off from your mouth.
6 For a nation has come up against my land,
powerful and beyond number;
its teeth are lions' teeth,
and it has the fangs of a lioness.
7 It has laid waste my vine
and splintered my fig tree;
it has stripped off their bark and thrown it down;
their branches are made white.

8 Lament like a virgin[a] wearing sackcloth
for the bridegroom of her youth.
9 The grain offering and the drink offering are cut off
from the house of the Lord.
The priests mourn,
the ministers of the Lord.
10 The fields are destroyed,
the ground mourns,
because the grain is destroyed,
the wine dries up,
the oil languishes.

11 Be ashamed,[b] O tillers of the soil;
wail, O vinedressers,
for the wheat and the barley,
because the harvest of the field has perished.
12 The vine dries up;
the fig tree languishes.
Pomegranate, palm, and apple,
all the trees of the field are dried up,
and gladness dries up
from the children of man.

[QUOTE=Predator;1541551] *****dom and wine and new wine take away the heart. (Hosea 4:11)
Hosea 4 is another warning to Israel. It refers to people who have forsaken God and turned away from Him to drink and sleep around. The people "cherish" the wine, notice that word. If you "cherish" something, you make it into something important. That is what an alcoholic does with his or her booze- cherishes it. Lets it become important to him/her. Lets it become his/her god, in place of God. The problem is not with having wine, the problem is with turning away from God and towards wine, and letting alcohol rule your life.

Hosea 4:4-11

6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge;
because you have rejected knowledge,
I reject you from being a priest to me.
And since you have forgotten the law of your God,
I also will forget your children. 7 The more they increased,
the more they sinned against me;
I will change their glory into shame.
8 They feed on the sin[b] of my people;
they are greedy for their iniquity.
9 And it shall be like people, like priest;
I will punish them for their ways
and repay them for their deeds.
10 They shall eat, but not be satisfied;
they shall play the *****, but not multiply,
because they have forsaken the Lord
to cherish 11 *****dom, wine, and new wine,
which take away the understanding.

He certainly did. He had too much wine, and got drunk. The Bible condemns drunkenness.

Yes, this is another example of drunkenness.

The moral lesson isn't that wine is the most dangerous substance that should be rejected by true followers of Jesus, since He Himself made water into wine and they drank together. The moral lesson is that drunkenness is an evil and a sin, and some of God's greatest prophets have fallen for it as well.

As an aside, I find it interesting that you consider the accounts of Noah and Lot getting drunk to be blasphemy.

blas·phe·my

   [blas-fuh-mee] Show IPA

noun, plural blas·phe·mies. 1. impious utterance or action concerning God or sacred things.

2. Judaism . a. an act of cursing or reviling God.

b. pronunciation of the Tetragrammaton (YHVH) in the original, now forbidden manner instead of using a substitute pronunciation such as Adonai.

3. Theology . the crime of assuming to oneself the rights or qualities of God.

4. irreverent behavior toward anything held sacred, priceless, etc.: He uttered blasphemies against life itself.

Are you suggesting that Lot or Noah were sacred, or that they are God? To me, they were just human beings.

That the Bible discusses God's prophets getting drunk and doing stupid things is one proof of it being written by God and not by man. People have a habit of trying to portray their leaders as flawless, heroic, always right. The Bible shows the quarrels, sins, disagreements, major mistakes that Jewish kings and religious leaders, and later people in the early church, committed. God in His greatness was able to use even such people to do great things for Him. The Bible does not glorify men. It glorifies God alone.

TG123
09-22-2012, 08:14 PM
I am not sure what's wrong with you, but I suggest you fix it.

best,
Your care and concern for my well-being is very touching, but don't worry about me :sunny:.

Can you just answer my question? Here it is again. Are sweets and/or fast food prohibited in the Quran or hadith.

جوري
09-22-2012, 08:18 PM
Your care and concern for my well-being is very touching, but don't worry about me :sunny:.

Can you just answer my question? Here it is again. Are sweets and/or fast food prohibited in the Quran or hadith.
Anything that leads to illness and or evil is prohibited!
Your questions are inane and uneducated, and mostly illogical akin to your evangelizing methods, hence we point it out- I assure you not out of concern rather lack of desire to waste ones time on platitudes!

best,

User_23338
10-09-2012, 12:08 AM
these non-muslims always make up weird excuses and try so hard to prove themselves right lol

جوري
10-09-2012, 12:12 AM
these non-muslims always make up weird excuses and try so hard to prove themselves right lol
The fast food prohibition thing really belongs in the funnies section... not sure what he was going for there or what his hope was!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!