/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What's in a name.. Etymology and linguistics of the word 'S h i t a a n'

جوري
02-26-2012, 05:49 PM
الشطط read as 'shataat' = excess and distance
الشط read as 'as'shut' = concordance and opposition
شاط read as 'shaat' = to burn in hell
اشاط read as 'Aashaat' = harm and rottenness
شوطاً read as 'shwtaan' = to go away from

and the etymology of Iblis = sorrow, confusion, depression and regret..

I have excerpted this from the book by shekh Rifa'ai siroor entitled when sheep are shepherded by wolves. He passed away last Wednesday may Allah swt accept his wonderful effort and grant him paradise's highest levels...
ameen

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Abz2000
02-26-2012, 08:29 PM
nice, all new knowledge to me, did you know that the word devil comes from the same pool as iblis?

the Ancient Greek διάβολος (diabolos)
is also a variation of the term and has somehow gone through spain to england to become devil

French: diable
Italian: diavolo
Portuguese: diabo
Spanish: diablo
English: devil

Ghazalah
02-26-2012, 10:03 PM
Salaam alaykum..

Subhanallah I heard this today in a lecture, they were mentioning linguistics of the Quran, then just added at the end about Shaytaan.

format_quote Originally Posted by ßlµêßêll
He passed away last Wednesday
Yeah, my dad was telling me but I was too clued out to get what he was saying.

format_quote Originally Posted by ßlµêßêll
may Allah swt accept his wonderful effort and grant him paradise's highest levels...
Ameen.

جوري
02-26-2012, 11:58 PM

Falamma nasoo ma thukkiroo bihi fatahna AAalayhim abwaba kulli shayin hatta itha farihoo bima ootoo akhathnahum baghtatan faitha hum mublisoona

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!