/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Why can't I forgive myself?

flowergarden
02-27-2012, 06:32 AM
Asalaam Wa Alaikum,

I just want to start off with a salaam to everyone since, I haven't been on here in a while. I hope everyone is doing well.

Well, I was wondering how do you all brothers and sisters forgive yourself from a sin?

Many of you all know my story and it just kills me to say that I still feel sad sometimes, more sad that I have done things that I should have and I wish I could go back to when I was "innocent" and just stay there... However, I look at my heart and I know I have a good one. I know that I still have innocence.

I have become much more religious... I just feel like because of my mistakes I won't be married. I am almost 23 so marriage should be in my thoughts or engagment considering I am almost done with college too... well I have another 3 years for Law school but I just feel like even when I finish I won't find a good man with a heart like mine because of my mistakes.

How do I learn to forgive myself? How do I see that the manipulation of others evil mind is not my fault and whatever I have done and am repenting for will (InshAllah) be forgiven?

Forgive me if I am annoying!

:wa:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Innocent Soul
02-27-2012, 11:42 AM
These difficulties shaped you. Every incident in your life gives you a lesson you just need to find it. Everyone happens for a reason. Allah will not waste any of your deeds. :)

I will not let the deeds of any doer among you go to waste, male or female-you are both the same in that respect. Those who have left their homes and were driven from their homes, and [who] suffered harm in My Way and fought and were killed,
I will erase their bad actions and admit them into Gardens with rivers flowing under them, as a reward from Allah. The best of all rewards is with Allah.
(Surah Al 'Imran: 195)

We cannot change the past to rewrite a better beginning, but we can work for the future and strive for a better ending.
— Yasir Qadhi

”Allah never throws you deeper than you can go.
He throws you from such a height were He knows yes you may fall, gain a few scratches, and open wounds, but He also knows how much sabr, tolerance and will power you have to stand back up.

Yes we all complain, moan and cry saying ‘Why Me!’ but why do we forget this life is a test; Allah is making you, not breaking you.
He is by your side, He is your shadow and your guiding light."

"Great men are not born great God uses hardships and trials to make them great."

No matter how good or bad you have it, wake up each day thankful for your life. Someone somewhere else is fighting to survive.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
English Proverb

There are two ways of meeting difficulties. You alter the difficulties or you alter yourself to meet them

Except for those who repent, believe and do righteous work. For them Allah will replace their evil deeds with good. And ever is Allah Forgiving and Merciful.
(25:70)

"Say (O Muhammad to mankind): "If you (really) love Allah, then follow me (i.e. accept Islamic monotheism, follow the Quran & the Sunnah), Allah will love you & forgive you your sins. And Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful."
(Quran: 3:31)

Salahudeen
02-28-2012, 01:42 AM

جوري
02-28-2012, 02:01 AM
Shaytaan comes to you in many different ways and tries to make you despair..

Inna allatheena ittaqaw itha massahum taifun mina alshshaytani tathakkaroo faitha hum mubsiroona

7:201 Those who fear Allah, when a thought of evil from Satan assaults them, bring Allah to remembrance, when lo! they see (aright)!

Whenever you're sad, just say A'aooth billah min ashytaan ar'rajeem.. say it over and over until you feel better..

:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Scimitar
02-28-2012, 04:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by flowergarden
Why can't I forgive myself?
Pray tahajjud salaah, in the 3rd portion of the night... and ask Allah to forgive you, and do this sincerely.
All will be fine insha-Allah...

a quote for encouragement "Just as every saint has a past, every sinner has a future"

Scimi

Hamza Asadullah
03-03-2012, 04:50 AM
Asalaam Wa Alaikum,

I just want to start off with a salaam to everyone since, I haven't been on here in a while. I hope everyone is doing well.

Well, I was wondering how do you all brothers and sisters forgive yourself from a sin?
Once we realise that the past has made us who we are today and that we cannot go back and change then we must accept what has happened and know that Allah forgives ALL sins. Allah has re-assured his slaves not to despair from the mercy of Allah. For Allah loves forgiveness and he loves nothing more than his slave turning to him in meekness begging of his mercy. Only the disbeievers despair of the mercy of Allah, therefore we should be hopeful of Allah's mercy but at the sametime be fearful. We should balance hope and fear.

Many of you all know my story and it just kills me to say that I still feel sad sometimes, more sad that I have done things that I should have and I wish I could go back to when I was "innocent" and just stay there... However, I look at my heart and I know I have a good one. I know that I still have innocence.
There is not one person on this Earth who does not regret something they have done and they would wish to go back and rectify it. But the reality of life is that we HAVE to make mistakes in order to learn from it. We learn from our failures NOT our successes. Therefore if we always succeeded then how can we ever learn? Allah has made life such that we make mistakes and we learn from it so we can do things better next time around. So accept your error and mistakes and realise that you are who you are today due to your past. The main thing is that you have changed and you are a much better person now due to your past.

I have become much more religious... I just feel like because of my mistakes I won't be married. I am almost 23 so marriage should be in my thoughts or engagment considering I am almost done with college too... well I have another 3 years for Law school but I just feel like even when I finish I won't find a good man with a heart like mine because of my mistakes.
You will never find a sinless man or a man who has never made mistakes, because there is NO such person living on the Earth today. Every one of us have made mistakes and continue to commit sins on a daily basis. So do not think in such a way because a good man will look at your character and piety and not your past mistakes because he will have his own. He will not be without his errors and past mistakes. He will not be perfect and most people know that their partners will also not be perfect, for perfection does not exist in humans. If we were all perfect then what would be the point of repentance? So ask of Allah and trust in him that he will give you a good and pious man. It is your enemy shaythan who puts these paranoid thoughts in your head. Go about marriage in the right manner and Allah will bless you with a good partner inshallah. So trust in Allah not in shaythans whispers.

The main thing we must do is to learn from our errors and try our best to avoid the major sins and repent as much as possible everyday for Allah loves those who ask of his mercy and forgiveness. He made us weak just so that we can keep asking for his mercy. Sometimes he waits years and even decades for his slave to ask him for forgiveness so that he can forgive ALL of his sins. Subhanallah what a kind, loving, generous and forgiving lord. His mercy over shadows his harshness, His forgiveness over shadows his wrath and anger. So ask of his mercy as much as possible, for we may tire of asking for forgiveness but he will NEVER tire of forgiving us for our sins.

How do I learn to forgive myself? How do I see that the manipulation of others evil mind is not my fault and whatever I have done and am repenting for will (InshAllah) be forgiven?
When you realise that you had to make mistakes in the past in order to learn from them so you can do better in the present. When you realise that you are the person you are today due to the mistakes you made from your past. When you realise that you cannot change what has happened or go back, but that shaythan is wanting you to live in regret so that you can waste this precious time, but realise that thinking in such a way is futile and the precious seconds that you are wasting now regretting the past is MUCH WORSE than any sin you could ever committ. Simply because it takes a few seconds to commit a sin and a few seconds for Allah to forgive us of that sin, but the time we waste regretting that sin we will NEVER be able to get back.

So do not waste a second more on your past, but concentrate on making the best of NOW for that is all that matters. Yesterday is gone and will NEVER comeback, so learn from it and take good things from it. Tomorrow is uncertain, so live for now and make the best of the few seconds you have left for it may end at ANY second!

Forgive me if I am annoying!

May Allah enable you to now move on with your life so that you make do everything to please him and be the closest to him. Ameen

flowergarden
03-19-2012, 12:32 AM
:sl:
I'm sorry it has taken so long to reply, I have been very busy with classes.

First thank you and JazakAllah Khair for all the replies, it means a lot that you would take time off your day to help!

format_quote Originally Posted by Innocent Soul
These difficulties shaped you. Every incident in your life gives you a lesson you just need to find it. Everyone happens for a reason. Allah will not waste any of your deeds.
Thank you InnocentSoul! sometimes I forget about those beautiful words and just linger on the past, which is vrey unhealthy. Alhamduillah I am better now, but I sometimes still feel like I am not innocent! Which makes me sad. Thank you for the time you took to post those passages from the Qur'an! It made me happy and at peace to read!

Thank you Salahudeen for the video, I will have to re watch it soon!

format_quote Originally Posted by ßlµêßêll
Whenever you're sad, just say A'aooth billah min ashytaan ar'rajeem.. say it over and over until you feel better..
Since reading this, any time I am sad I do say A'aooth billah min ashytaan ar'rajeem and it does help a lot. It helps.
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamza Asadullah
When you realise that you had to make mistakes in the past in order to learn from them so you can do better in the present. When you realise that you are the person you are today due to the mistakes you made from your past. When you realise that you cannot change what has happened or go back, but that shaythan is wanting you to live in regret so that you can waste this precious time, but realise that thinking in such a way is futile and the precious seconds that you are wasting now regretting the past is MUCH WORSE than any sin you could ever committ. Simply because it takes a few seconds to commit a sin and a few seconds for Allah to forgive us of that sin, but the time we waste regretting that sin we will NEVER be able to get back.

So do not waste a second more on your past, but concentrate on making the best of NOW for that is all that matters. Yesterday is gone and will NEVER comeback, so learn from it and take good things from it. Tomorrow is uncertain, so live for now and make the best of the few seconds you have left for it may end at ANY second!
Brother Hamza, your word are encouraging and helpful... I know how unhealthy and big waste it is to feel this was; but sometimes it just goes beyond what I want, such as I always think... there have been a lot of people who have hurt me, how could they be such a cold soul... and than I just keep blaming myself. I have been through a lot and alhamduillah I am happy to say I am a better person than I was seven years ago and I can see that I have learned a lot in the past 3 to 4 years that will shape me to be stronger to my deen that wouldn't have cause me to be this strong before. So I can see in a way these past miskates are actually blessing in disguise, but it just hurts to think that I am not innocent or bad; when in reality I am a sweet person, and kind hearted women... and I believbe it is time I take apart of occupational threapy to help with some post tramatic . Also is that okay to do occupational therpy?

Thank you all so much again. JazkaAllah Kyran! :) :D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!