/* */

PDA

View Full Version : umm hani bint abi talib who was she?

Periwinkle18
02-27-2012, 03:50 PM
:sl:

Was umm hani bint abi talib the cousin of prophet muhammad (SAW)?? i need some info abt her wht was her name, who was she married to etc... does anyone know??

jazakAllah khayr

:sl:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Periwinkle18
02-27-2012, 06:27 PM
:bump1:

Abz2000
02-27-2012, 06:34 PM
her name was Fakhitah bint Abi Talib or Jumanah bint Abi Talib. different sources use the name umm hani for both, will check further inshaAllah

she was apparently the first lady he (pbuh) wanted to marry, but it didn't work out and Abu Talib married her to a pagan (this was apparently before Prophethood).

Bukhari Hadith 4:396

Narrated Um Hani the daughter of Abu Talib: I went to Allah's Apostle on the day of the conquest of Mecca and found him taking a bath, and his daughter Fatima was screening him. I greeted him and he asked, "Who is that?" I said, "I, Um Hani bint Abi Talib." He said, "Welcome, O Um Hani." When he had finished his bath, he stood up and offered eight Rakat while dressed in one garment. I said, "O Allah's Apostle! My brother 'Ali has declared that he will kill a man to whom I have granted asylum. The man is so and-so bin Hubaira." Allah's Apostle said, "O Um Hani! We will grant asylum to the one whom you have granted asylum." (Um Hani said, "That (visit) took place in the Duha (i.e. forenoon)).

Periwinkle18
02-28-2012, 02:29 AM
^ jazakAllah akhi if u get more info plz do let me know. :) who was she marriedd to ??

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Abz2000
02-28-2012, 03:19 AM
Umm-Hani bint Abi Talib was married to Hubairah bin Amr. She was the daughter of the Prophet's uncle, Abu Talib, and embraced Islam on the occasion of the conquest of Mecca. This change of religion separated her from her husband, Hubairah, who fled to Najran. (Al-Isabah).

i have no idea how authentic these sources are but have included them since they are historical biographical records called "tabaqat"(something like seerah).
please bear this in mind when reading.

Ibn Abbas narrated: "The Prophet asked Abu Talib for the hand of his daughter, Umm Hani´, in marriage in the Jahiliya. But Hubaira proposed to her and married her. The Prophet said, 'My uncle, you married Hubaira off and left me out!' He replied, 'My nephew, we have become related to you by marriage, and the dignified man rewards [or is the reward of] the dignified man.' (apparently giving the reason that it was in return for a prior marriage link with a woman from Hubayra’s family). Afterwards, she submitted in [adopted Islam] and Islam separated her from Hubaira. Then the Messenger of God proposed to her personally.
She said, 'By God! If I loved you in the Jahiliya, so how much more in Islam!
But I am a woman with children and I hate that they would hurt you.'
The Messenger of God said, 'The best women who ride on horseback are the women of Quraish; they are tender to their little children, and take good care of their husband's possessions.'
(Tabaqat, 8:151-153; Usd al-ghaba, 5:624)

blue text my own addition from a different source

Abu Salih, the guardian of Umm Hani´, narrated: "The Messenger of God proposed to Umm Hani´, Abu Talib's daughter, who said, 'O Messenger of God, I am the mother of orphans, and my children are young.'
So when her children attained puberty, she offered herself to him,
but he said, 'No, not now,' because God revealed to him: 'O Prophet, We have permitted you [to deal with] your wives to whom you have given their allotments, and anyone your right hand controls whom God has given you [as captives] and your paternal uncles' and aunts' daughters, and your maternal uncles' and aunts' daughters who have migrated along with you',
(Sura al-Ahzab 33:50. Scholars are in disagreement concerning this verse as is mentioned in the story of Umm Shuraik below. and she was not among those who migrated.)

Another said, 'She bore for Hubaira Ibn Abi Wahb, Ja`da, `Umar, Yusuf, and Hani´.
Tabaqat, 8:153ff.

Periwinkle18
02-28-2012, 03:22 AM
oh ok jazakAllah khayrun :) thank you so much

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!