/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How do you concentrate on long reads?

Beardo
03-06-2012, 02:22 AM
How do you concentrate on long reads?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Veiled
03-06-2012, 03:05 AM
I guess you can break it down into sections. If your attention isn't there, break down the read into sections and read it with breaks. And if you forget what the previous sections were about...make side notes.

Reading continuously through the entire read is the worst thing you could do!

aamirsaab
03-06-2012, 07:40 PM
If it's for stories:
If it's a good one that keeps my attention, you'll have to kill me to stop me reading it (or turn off the light as my mom often did when I was reading Battle royal...freakin awesome book btw). If not, I will probably still read it but won't exactly enjoy it.

If it's like a news article:
I usually only read it if I have atleast a modicum of interest in the subject in the first place, otherwise I'll skip it and find something else.

Banu_Hashim
03-06-2012, 07:47 PM
I need to know how to increase in concentration on long reads too! I have lots of research articles to read... :(

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
'Abd-al Latif
03-06-2012, 07:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Beardo
How do you concentrate on long reads?
What kind of reading is it? Leisure? Academic? Other?

CosmicPathos
03-06-2012, 09:24 PM
reading is the most important skill you need to have if you are in some professional program. Not just passive reading, but active critical reading. Its tough, something that should be developed from childhood. I did not, so it takes me time to read the amount of text that I have to.
You can start reading a para with full on concentration quickly in your heart or in your mouth, trying to remember keywords as you proceed. As you finish the para, spend few seconds to quickly recall without looking at the text what the para talked about. Then move on to next para. By doing that, I hope you can remember what you actually read. If the paras are filthy long, break them down into 3-4 lines.

Salahudeen
03-09-2012, 10:06 AM
I once read 7 pages and didn't recall any of it :hmm:

Haya emaan
03-10-2012, 10:33 AM
it is some times very difficult to concentrate in reading something that is not of your interest
In such case for me underlining parts or making notes/marking keywords on the very same page on the book (only if i own the book) helps a lot.. so that when i want to recall what i have read just recalling the marked parts helps me recalling all what i have read..

crimsontide06
03-10-2012, 07:23 PM
My eyes cannot stand long paragraphs. If its longer than 10 lines, I won't read it...no matter what the information is. Book, message boards...etc.

Scimitar
08-02-2012, 08:50 PM
I'n bumping this thread because I found this amazing lecture a week or so ago titled "How to read a book" by Sheikh Hamza Yusuf and thought this was just excellent.

It's long, and in two parts, so enjoy - I hope it benefits you as much as it did me :)

and part two

Scimi

Banu_Hashim
08-04-2012, 09:45 PM
^I've ordered the book he was on about in the first video :)

Scimitar
08-04-2012, 10:05 PM
For reals? let me know how you find it... i was thinking of doing the same.

Scimi

Banu_Hashim
08-04-2012, 11:32 PM
for reals lol... i will do inshallah

Muhaba
08-11-2012, 02:15 PM
It depends on whether I am reading fiction or nonfiction.

fiction grasps my attention more so it's easy to concentrate on it. I read a lot of fiction; i love stories. nonfiction is more difficult. After reading a while, my concentration is gone. and i find myself just reading the words. That's not bad either because it does go into your brain and later you find the material easier. But it's always better to read with concentration. Taking a break helps. Also associating the material with everyday life or career needs helps you pay more attention. Telling someone else about the material also helps.

other things you can do: 1. summarize the material in your own words. even a line of summary in the margin is good. But dont copy the text word for word.
2. turn the title to a question and try to find the answer in the text. This engages your mind with the text.
3. reread. after you're done reading a section, read it again , preferably after taking a break.
4. discuss with a classmate.
5. post a summary on here.

sohail1234
04-30-2013, 05:15 AM
assalam o alikum
when i was in college, i hate to read the text books but now i try to read all of the text on the time. if you are feeling boring while reading then mark that you can easily read out

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!