/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Why do we say "praise be to God " when we sneeze?

syed1
03-06-2012, 02:35 AM
What is the reasoning behind this? what is its origin? anyone?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ardianto
03-06-2012, 02:39 AM
Assalamualaikum.

My Islamic teacher said, we should say "Alhamdulillah" when sneezing because sneeze is a sign that we are still breathing.

If Iam not wrong, it's based on a hadith.

Veiled
03-06-2012, 03:08 AM
The Virtue Of Saying “Subhaan-Allaah”

DEFINITION:

- سبحان الله – Subhaan-Allaah – [Allaah is free from imperfection]

Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Messenger of Allah Peace Be Upon Him said, “The uttering of the words: “Subhan-Allah (Allah is free from imperfection), Al-hamdu lillah (all praise is due to Allah), La ilaha illallah (there is no true god except Allah) and Allahu Akbar (Allah is the Greatest)’ is dearer to me than anything over which the sun rises.

[Muslim].

Abu Malik Al-Ash`ari (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Messenger of Allah Peace Be Upon Him said, “Wudu’ is half of Salat, and the expression: `Subhan-Allah (Allah is free from imperfection)’ fills the Balance, and the expression: `Al-hamdu lillah (praise be to Allah)’ fills the space between the heavens and the earth.”

[Muslim].

Sa`d bin Abu Waqqas (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: We were with the Messenger of Allah Peace Be Upon Him when he asked, “Is anyone of you unable to earn a thousand good deeds?” One of those present asked: “How can one earn thousand good deeds in a day?” He Peace Be Upon Him replied, “By saying: Subhan-Allah a hundred times, then one thousand good deeds will be recorded for him or one thousand sins will be blotted out from his record.

[Muslim].

Abu Dharr (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Messenger of Allah Peace Be Upon Him said, “Every morning charity is due from every joint bone of the body of every one of you. Every utterance of Allah’s Glorification (i.e., Subhan-Allah) is an act of charity, and every utterance of praise of Him (i.e., Al-hamdu lillah) is an act of charity, and every utterance of profession of Faith (i.e., La ilaha illallah) is an act of charity, and every utterance of His Greatness (i.e., Allahu Akbar) is an act of charity; and enjoining good is an act of charity and forbidding what is disreputable is an act of charity; and two Rak`ah prayer which one offers in the forenoon (Ad-Duha) will suffice for all this.

[Muslim].

Ibn Mas`ud (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: Messenger of Allah Peace Be Upon Him said, “I met Ibrahim Peace Be Upon Him on the Night of Ascension (Al-Asra), and he said to me: `O Muhammad, convey my greetings to your Ummah, and tell them that Jannah has a vast plain of pure soil and sweet water. It is a plain levelled land. The plants grow there by uttering: Subhan-Allah, Al-hamdu lillah, La ilaha illallah and Allahu Akbar (Allah is free from imperfection; praise be to Allah; there is no true god except Allah; and Allah is Greatest).‘”

[At-Tirmidhi].

syed1
03-06-2012, 03:35 AM
thanks for your input but still didnt answer my question :(

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Veiled
03-06-2012, 03:45 AM
LOL. omggg Sorry I read it wrong. Well I've never heard anyone use subhanAllah for sneezing, as the member mentioned above, you're suppose to say alhumdullilah.....
Where did you hear that we have to say SubhanAllah?

Hamza Asadullah
03-06-2012, 04:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syed1
What is the reasoning behind this? what is its origin? anyone?
:sl:

The Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “Allah likes the act of sneezing and dislikes the act of yawning, so if any one of you sneezes and praises Allah (says “al-hamdu Lillaah”), it is a duty on every Muslim who hears him to say to him, “Yarhamuk Allah (may Allaah have mercy on you).” As for yawning, it is from the Shaytaan, so if any of you feels the urge to yawn, he should suppress it as much as he can, for when any one of you yawns, the Shaytaan laughs at him.” (Bukhaari, 10/505)

Abdul-Raouf
03-06-2012, 06:54 AM
I remember reading somewhere.. that when Adam(AS) was created and ruh was blown into his body.. he struggled a bit and then he sneezed and said Alhamdulillah ..and came to life.

Sorry...But Im not sure of the exact event.

Abz2000
03-06-2012, 07:00 AM

Hadith – Bukhari 8:242, 8:245, Narrated Abu Huraira
The Prophet (peace be upon him) said, “Allah likes sneezing and dislikes yawning, so if someone sneezes and then praises Allah, then it is obligatory on every Muslim who heard him, to say: May Allah be merciful to you (Yar-hamuka-l-lah). But as regards yawning, it is from Satan, so one must try one’s best to stop it, if one says ‘Ha’ when yawning, Satan will laugh at him.”

Also see here at 36 min : 30 sec to 38 minutes,
Don't know how authentic it is as no source was quoted:

Marina-Aisha
03-06-2012, 10:03 AM
I knew bout the sneezing but I didn't know bout the yawning thanx.

ardianto
03-06-2012, 10:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by marina28
I knew bout the sneezing but I didn't know bout the yawning thanx.
We should cover our mouth with palm when we are yawning. Or, shaytan will entering our bodies through our mouths.

That's what my teacher taught me.

Marina-Aisha
03-06-2012, 10:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
We should cover our mouth with palm when we are yawning. Or, shaytan will entering our bodies through our mouths.

That's what my teacher taught me.
Oh I didn't know that thank you, usually I do cover my mouth but my mum told me bad manners to not cover ur mouth. Thanx again.

ardianto
03-06-2012, 01:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by marina28
Oh I didn't know that thank you, usually I do cover my mouth but my mum told me bad manners to not cover ur mouth. Thanx again.
You're welcome.

Shaytan can enter human body through everywhere, not only through yawning mouth. But why my teacher said like that?

Just like your mommy said, someone who does not cover the mouth when yawn is a person who has bad manner. And human who have bad manner are human who be liked by shaytan, because those human can be good friends for shaytan.

So, when a human does not cover the mouth when yawn, shaytan will happy "Aha! this human can be my friend", then shaytan entering this human body.

Marina-Aisha
03-06-2012, 06:19 PM
Oh my! Okay thanx :)

Ğħαrєєвαħ
03-06-2012, 07:33 PM
As'Salaamu Alaaykum

I suggest you read through this thread, inshaa'Allaah

--->>> http://www.islamicboard.com/worship-...-sneezing.html <<<---

I heard that your heart stop beating when you sneeze or something similar, wa Allaahu alam, perhaps one other reason for praising Allaah SWT.

Sunnie Ameena
03-06-2012, 08:10 PM
I read somewhere once that said that the reason a person says "Bless You" when someone sneezes, is because many years ago when there was an outbreak of typhoid fever, many people died. And sneezing was one of the last symptoms before they died. So when the sick people started sneezing, it meant they were going to die soon, so someone would say, "God Bless You".

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!