/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What is this problem?

Snowflake
03-10-2012, 11:21 AM
I've noticed that sometimes I type words that I don't mean to and has nothing to do with what I'm writing about. I've also typed things opposite to what I'd meant to say. I'm not talking about normal typos here. Should I be worried?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muezzin
03-10-2012, 05:19 PM
So it's like a typing version of a Freudian slip?

That actually sounds rather cool.

~Zaria~
03-10-2012, 05:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dying Rose
I've noticed that sometimes I type words that I don't mean to and has nothing to do with what I'm writing about. I've also typed things opposite to what I'd meant to say. I'm not talking about normal typos here. Should I be worried?
Hmmm.......perhaps you have a split personality - one for real-time, and another that enjoys virtual reality more?
Maybe 'Dying Rose' has taken on a character of her own!...... lol.

Just kidding ukthi : )

جوري
03-10-2012, 05:35 PM
Happens.. just the speed of thoughts compared to your speed of typing.. You've no idea how many times I have to read a sentence when distracted I read completely different words than are written basically the brain takes the first letter and renders the word of its choosing so you can imagine my dilemma when I read perfidious as pernicious etc.. happens more often than I like to admit.. :hmm:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
CosmicPathos
03-10-2012, 06:43 PM
yea happened to me during a test, I misread a word as something else and got the MCQ wrong. Hate it but that is what happens when you are stressed. HUGE impacts on cognition.

crimsontide06
03-10-2012, 08:36 PM
Are you talking about auto-correct??? That's when Microsoft Word or other document programs assumes you typed the wrong word, so it corrects it for you...

White Rose
03-11-2012, 04:39 PM
Happens to me sometimes. Reading the first word or first few words and assuming the rest. And sometimes saying words that don't belong in a sentence.;D Like Cosmic said, it did affect me in tests a few times as well.

Snowflake
03-12-2012, 12:03 AM
So it's like a typing version of a Freudian slip?

That actually sounds rather cool.
Yes like that. It's far from cool though. Takes ages to edit stuff.

Hmmm.......perhaps you have a split personality - one for real-time, and another that enjoys virtual reality more?
Maybe 'Dying Rose' has taken on a character of her own!...... lol.

Just kidding ukthi : )
Sister Zaria – If I do have a split personality, neither was offended lol - which makes it difficult to tell if there is a split :P

format_quote Originally Posted by ßlµêßêll
Happens.. just the speed of thoughts compared to your speed of typing.. You've no idea how many times I have to read a sentence when distracted I read completely different words than are written basically the brain takes the first letter and renders the word of its choosing so you can imagine my dilemma when I read perfidious as pernicious etc.. happens more often than I like to admit.. :hmm:
Aw.. strangely, before now, I never thought that reading words wrong was as serious as writing/saying them. I read words wrong all the time and get lots of :ooh: moments because of it - reading perfectly innocent words as swear words! A suppressed need to swear I wonder? *sigh* Would make sense lol

Cosmic Path - yea happened to me during a test, I misread a word as something else and got the MCQ wrong. Hate it but that is what happens when you are stressed. HUGE impacts on cognition.
I'm trying to understand if reading words wrong and saying/writing them are a part of the same problem i.e. does it involve the same areas of the brain?

CrimsonTide -Are you talking about auto-correct??? That's when Microsoft Word or other document programs assumes you typed the wrong word, so it corrects it for you...
No akhi, but I know what you're saying. That is so annoying!

Arjmand -Happens to me sometimes. Reading the first word or first few words and assuming the rest. And sometimes saying words that don't belong in a sentence.;D Like Cosmic said, it did affect me in tests a few times as well.
Yup, like that. I was beginning to think I'm losing my marbles but from what everyone said, it seems to be quite common. The Freudian comparison makes sense. But it still bothers me a teeny weeny bit.

MustafaMc
03-12-2012, 12:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ßlµêßêll
you can imagine my dilemma when I read perfidious as pernicious etc
...per-what?

It happens to me all of the time. I will write 'that' instead of 'than' or 'of' instead of 'on'. It is like my fingers are on autoplot - I mean autopilot.

Snowflake
03-12-2012, 12:35 AM
^ on second thoughts, just because something is common it doesn't mean it's normal. Seriously speaking, I think toxins from our diet and the environment have something to do with it.

جوري
03-12-2012, 12:53 AM
^ on second thoughts, just because something is common it doesn't mean it's normal. Seriously speaking, I think toxins from our diet and the environment have something to do with it.
It is normal sis.. so many different variations of the norm and it can be pathological but don't want to get into that, but if it is a minor nuisance rather than life altering and everyone is suffering it to some degree then it is all variations of the norm. It is do with the way we're wired, the speed of transmission of information to nerve fibers to the brain and back. Some nerve fibers are faster than other and we've different types, Motor, sensory, both.. it also depends on where they travel, if they decussate and they do.. so don't make more of it than it is..
Some people have varying degrees of dyslexia.. some have actual visual problems.. some of us are fixated on the computer screen all day that the cilliary Muscles are constantly in the same position and that can cause double vision, tiredness, red dry eyes which in and of themselves cause problems in how the brain interprets what it sees..

so don't worry.. you're not alone and yeah many of us are affected by it, imagine having to sit for a 16 hour test over two days just reading large clinical vignettes.. you're bound to be stressed and to make mistakes due to said stress.. it is only human ..

:w:

Snowflake
03-12-2012, 03:00 PM
Thanks sis. I wish I could say that one of those reasons applied to me, but they don't. I juggle internet time with housework, reading, resting and cooking. So I'm never anywhere long enough for my brain to suffer. If not dementia, I was wondering if it could be a sort of mental retardation that comes on during childhood years? I remember by the age of five, I knew lots of nursery rhymes word perfect, by heart, and jumped two classes in one year when I went to school in Pakistan - despite Urdu being a new (written) language for me I breezed it. After that though I went downhill. Back in the UK, I tried extremely hard in school but I just couldn't understand anything above basic English. My English teacher thought I might have hearing difficulties and so arranged a hearing test for me. My hearing was fine, so that was it. In those days, lots of people with learning difficulties just got written off as being thick.

I do struggle to understand what I'm reading, and find it difficult to say exactly what I want. I can't put my thoughts into words the way I want all the time. I have to rethink how to say things in a way I can out in writing. At school I was in the bottom group for English. I struggle with long complicated sentences. I've read books all my life and my vocab has improved as a result. But there's a limit. A barrier which prevents me from understanding complex texts.

I see posts here written in the standard of English I can only dream about reading and writing. I'm scared to death to participate in those threads/forums because I wouldn't be able to understand what's being said or respond on the same level. I love to know how things work/happen and attempt to read articles on science, technology, cosmology, and biology etc. But I only understand a tiny fraction of what I read. It makes me feel so sad :(

Scimitar
03-12-2012, 03:06 PM
Dnnuo, Can you raed tihs fnie?

The Tinhg is, our bianrs can atucllay porsecs jbmuled up wrdos...

Carzy, but ture.

;D

White Rose
03-12-2012, 03:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar

Carzy, but ture.
Just goes to show how smart our brain is even if we do not realize it. It can also understand and interpret meanings and things that we don't understand when we look at them. MashAllah.

I know it is irrelevant but I just wanted to bring it up. Sometimes when songs contain hidden messages, our brains can understand them and then we start acting according to it without realizing. Scimi has a very good example of it on his channel. The twinkle star song.

Snowflake
03-12-2012, 03:18 PM

Carzy, but ture.

;D
lol yeh I can read that - probably because it's not actually 'saying' anything complicated. Allahu alam.

Scimitar
03-12-2012, 03:32 PM
@Dying Rose: You'd be surprised, In can write you a thesis on reverse osmosis like that, and you will still be able to read it fine.

@arjmand: Ah, that video gives me the creeps... even now. I can't watch the video I made for youtube, now that's funny... and slightly scary *nervous lol*

Scimi

White Rose
03-12-2012, 04:20 PM
@arjmand: Ah, that video gives me the creeps... even now. I can't watch the video I made for youtube, now that's funny... and slightly scary *nervous lol*
Good to know I am not the only one who get the creeps ;D
It is just something about a song being played backwards.:heated:

Scimitar
03-12-2012, 04:41 PM
Have you seen the Music Industry Exposed series by youtuber and fellow truther, Farhank501?

Songs played normally carry some dark messages too nowadays - and i'm not talking nursery rhymes either - this is modern pop culture... here is part one:

DISCLAIMER: Music and foul language in the following series:

Scimi

Ramadan90
03-12-2012, 04:51 PM
Well, this sounds very interesting. This have never happened to me before.

Snowflake
03-12-2012, 05:07 PM
@Dying Rose: You'd be surprised, In can write you a thesis on reverse osmosis like that, and you will still be able to read it fine.
Scimi
I can read words. I just can't understand what's being said when the language gets complicated. Insha Allah, I'll post an example if I find one soon.

format_quote Originally Posted by Allah<3
Well, this sounds very interesting. This have never happened to me before.
Masha Allah wal hamdulillah.

Salahudeen
03-12-2012, 06:02 PM

I can read words. I just can't understand what's being said when the language gets complicated. Insha Allah, I'll post an example if I find one soon.

Masha Allah wal hamdulillah.
that happens to me, maybe try and get a dictionary to make sense of the words you don't understand just type it in google, or do you not even understand the meaning that the dictionary gives??

White Rose
03-12-2012, 06:08 PM
Have you seen the Music Industry Exposed series by youtuber and fellow truther, Farhank501?

Songs played normally carry some dark messages too nowadays - and i'm not talking nursery rhymes either - this is modern pop culture... here is part one:
Scimi
Whoa. JazakAllah for the link. I saw some other videos similar to this but not this one. This one goes in detail and covers more.
For some reason, the more I look at these videos, the more scared I get because all of this is right in front of us yet we don't know.

@ Rose. Now that you remind me, this happened to me recently as well. I was doing some problem and I could not understand what it was asking even though it was in English. The words were not that complicated but the way they were written did not make sense to me.

Scimitar
03-12-2012, 06:22 PM
I have the full version (all parts in one long sitting) but I didn't upload it to my channel ... should I?

Scimi

White Rose
03-12-2012, 06:25 PM
I have the full version (all parts in one long sitting) but I didn't upload it to my channel ... should I?

Scimi
It's up to you brother but it sure is an eyeopener

Muezzin
03-12-2012, 06:38 PM
Thanks sis. I wish I could say that one of those reasons applied to me, but they don't. I juggle internet time with housework, reading, resting and cooking. So I'm never anywhere long enough for my brain to suffer. If not dementia, I was wondering if it could be a sort of mental retardation that comes on during childhood years? I remember by the age of five, I knew lots of nursery rhymes word perfect, by heart, and jumped two classes in one year when I went to school in Pakistan - despite Urdu being a new (written) language for me I breezed it. After that though I went downhill. Back in the UK, I tried extremely hard in school but I just couldn't understand anything above basic English. My English teacher thought I might have hearing difficulties and so arranged a hearing test for me. My hearing was fine, so that was it. In those days, lots of people with learning difficulties just got written off as being thick.

I do struggle to understand what I'm reading, and find it difficult to say exactly what I want. I can't put my thoughts into words the way I want all the time. I have to rethink how to say things in a way I can out in writing. At school I was in the bottom group for English. I struggle with long complicated sentences. I've read books all my life and my vocab has improved as a result. But there's a limit. A barrier which prevents me from understanding complex texts.

I see posts here written in the standard of English I can only dream about reading and writing. I'm scared to death to participate in those threads/forums because I wouldn't be able to understand what's being said or respond on the same level. I love to know how things work/happen and attempt to read articles on science, technology, cosmology, and biology etc. But I only understand a tiny fraction of what I read. It makes me feel so sad :(
Seriously speaking, the quality of your English in your posts is excellent. Your posts are clear and intelligent.

In light of this, I'm not entirely sure what level of English you are aspiring to. Perhaps it's not a level, but a style. Do you find, say, academic text difficult to write and/or read (because if you do, you're by no means in the minority or lacking intelligence)? Is it unfamiliar terminology and jargon? I like reading science articles too and often hit that brick wall, but I mostly get the gist of it at least (then I Google profusely).

If it's a style thing, really don't worry about it. Unless you have a house-style for, say, the use of language in documents at work, it's really not worth worrying about. As long as people can understand what you mean, and you're coming across the way you intend, everything else is minor.

Ghazalah
03-12-2012, 09:26 PM
I agree with Muezzin, don't worry too much about it. Because of my dyslexia, when I read a passage the amount of words I miss it's unbelievable, and I've been told that's because my brain is working so fast it just skips words ^o) writing out my thoughts is another brick wall, all comes out jumbled up. Not even gonna start on my spelling:exhausted

But it's just the way your brain works, it doesn't mean your lesser in term of intelligence, nor does it mean there's something wrong with you.

Snowflake
03-12-2012, 10:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Salahudeen
that happens to me, maybe try and get a dictionary to make sense of the words you don't understand just type it in google, or do you not even understand the meaning that the dictionary gives??
It isn't so much as not understanding a particular word, but the whole sentence or paragraph if you like. Perhaps as Muezzin pointed out below, it might have something to do with the style of writing. I've yet to figure that out.

Arjmand: @ Rose. Now that you remind me, this happened to me recently as well. I was doing some problem and I could not understand what it was asking even though it was in English. The words were not that complicated but the way they were written did not make sense to me.
Exactly! I bought two books on Islamic Jurisprudence, but struggled to understand the majority of the rulings because of how they are written. Most translators, if not all, are very highly educated and don't seem to be aware how difficult it is for people like me to understand their level/style of writing. On a positive side, this 'flaw' served to remind me how easy to understand the speech of Allah subhana wa ta 'ala is - yet unmatched in its beauty and eloquence. Subhan Allah...

format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Seriously speaking, the quality of your English in your posts is excellent. Your posts are clear and intelligent.

In light of this, I'm not entirely sure what level of English you are aspiring to. Perhaps it's not a level, but a style. Do you find, say, academic text difficult to write and/or read (because if you do, you're by no means in the minority or lacking intelligence)? Is it unfamiliar terminology and jargon? I like reading science articles too and often hit that brick wall, but I mostly get the gist of it at least (then I Google profusely).

If it's a style thing, really don't worry about it. Unless you have a house-style for, say, the use of language in documents at work, it's really not worth worrying about. As long as people can understand what you mean, and you're coming across the way you intend, everything else is minor.
Thanks, that's very kind of you. I do struggle with academic text as well. I tried to do an 'access course' in Law, and a few months into it I was struggling to understand the work - whereas people who'd got less marks than me in previous assignments were sailing through it. I'm not quite sure how someone's style of writing would prevent me from understanding though? I thought if you're clever then you have no problem understanding anything regardless of how it's written? I attempted to say something in the beginning of my reply but I wanted but couldn't to put it into words. I practically got confused. It's like a two-way traffic jam - not understanding the information coming in, and not being able to put out thoughts in the way that I want to.

جوري
03-12-2012, 11:04 PM
Thanks, that's very kind of you. I do struggle with academic text as well. I tried to do an 'access course' in Law, and a few months into it I was struggling to understand the work - whereas people who'd got less marks than me in previous assignments were sailing through it. I'm not quite sure how someone's style of writing would prevent me from understanding though? I thought if you're clever then you have no problem understanding anything regardless of how it's written? I attempted to say something in the beginning of my reply but I wanted but couldn't to put it into words. I practically got confused. It's like a two-way traffic jam - not understanding the information coming in, and not being able to put out thoughts in the way that I want to.

You understand things differently than others and that's not a flaw it is actually a very good thing. We can't all see things from the same point of view.. if you're sitting with a cup of tea across from me, I might not see the handle and think it is a tumbler, from my end you might not be able to see the chip on the 6 o'clock position Saluahdin might be seeing a fly hovering that neither of us sees so we all bring something different to the table.. Maybe Allah swt created us with equality but equality isn't uniformity or sameness.
I have struggled with many things myself and my life has been a series of very high highs and the lowest lows. I can never do average I either fail miserably or get super nineties.. There are days when I am appalled by my own stupidities and wonder if any minute someone will have figured out what a moron I am and there are days when I am so lucid I feel on a completely different platform from other people.. walhi I can't explain it.. I'd get a horrible problem in calculus that I'd never attempt and sleep on it and all of a sudden I am doing things that I feel possessed to do and not coming out of my own cognition at all and there are days when someone would tell me this is this and this is that and ask me to repeat it and I look at them like what are you talking about?
There was a book I recently read that took me literally three times to get what he was saying and had to ask around, in fact it was the book that I linked here..
We can't all be carbon copies of each other.. we can't all be 100% all the time, perfect immaculate WASPS and have graduated from Harvard.. So cut yourself some slack ukht..

and pls spare me some du3a..
xxx

Scimitar
03-12-2012, 11:10 PM
Ameen.

How we learn things is truly individual to our own ability in understanding that which we are studying. When it comes to reading the text that others have written, it is often a good idea to get a feel for the author by doing a little search on google, maybe even finding a video of the person so you can hear their speech, method of delivery etc. Once you have an idea of who this author is, their background, accent, etc - you will find that reading the same text, somehow, now just flows better... try it sister Dying Rose.

Scimi

جوري
03-12-2012, 11:13 PM
There was a movie I saw once called tale of two sisters (korean) walhi to the last 3 minutes I think I had no idea what it was about.. I was so angry felt cheated out of an hour or so of my time as it was a psychological thriller and was about to pick up the phone and have at it with my sister for recommending it ;D and then it made sense.. and then when I watched it a second time all the little foreshadows were no longer extraneous details that didn't belong.. sometimes it pays to read or see something twice or three times...

:w:

Snowflake
03-13-2012, 09:45 AM
It's some consolation to know that even intelligent people can experience problems too. I do enjoy being different on many levels and feel that what I lack in my academic skills, bi idhnillah, I make up with my creative and practical skills. But if I cut myself some slack, I can never improve myself to reach my full potential. As far as reading educational material is concerned, I'm sure I can find easier to understand versions. But the problem also extends to my business life. One can't afford to misread/misunderstand legal clauses in contracts. When it comes to corresponding with other businesses, I'm unable to maintain the expected balance of formality with a hint of friendliness in my correspondence and end up acting like I'm their next door neighbour and not a business acquaintance. Del Boy would be proud of me. It also doesn't help that in my opinion professionalism is overrated and most of the time just unnecessary. I struggle to write formal emails. Ah, now I'm feeling worse than before. I think I'm going to chill out and forget this thread for a while. Please forgive...

Scimitar
03-13-2012, 01:33 PM
Don't know if this helps you sis:

http://www.vanuatu.usp.ac.fj/student_resources/Resources_Main/legal_letters.html#Formalities of Legal Letter Writing

Scimi

جوري
03-13-2012, 02:49 PM
It's some consolation to know that even intelligent people can experience problems too. I do enjoy being different on many levels and feel that what I lack in my academic skills, bi idhnillah, I make up with my creative and practical skills. But if I cut myself some slack, I can never improve myself to reach my full potential. As far as reading educational material is concerned, I'm sure I can find easier to understand versions. But the problem also extends to my business life. One can't afford to misread/misunderstand legal clauses in contracts. When it comes to corresponding with other businesses, I'm unable to maintain the expected balance of formality with a hint of friendliness in my correspondence and end up acting like I'm their next door neighbour and not a business acquaintance. Del Boy would be proud of me. It also doesn't help that in my opinion professionalism is overrated and most of the time just unnecessary. I struggle to write formal emails. Ah, now I'm feeling worse than before. I think I'm going to chill out and forget this thread for a while. Please forgive...
sister you've no such problems I've known you for fairly long in the forum and your writing, diagnosis is my bread and butter although I haven't been able to butter my bread of it of late and haven't seen you physically I can already tell much from your writing and the way you communicate with others ... Pls pls take it easy...

Ğħαrєєвαħ
03-13-2012, 03:27 PM
I have this problem with me, where i'm always paranoid whether I've actually made sense or not :/

even this post, does it make any sense? :hiding:

CosmicPathos
03-14-2012, 03:39 AM
I do not see any loosening of associations or derailments or any word salads in what you write. So relax.

As has been mentioned, we are different, have strengths and weaknesses. Many a times I have beaten myself over for days and weeks for not having "photographic memory." I have been jealous of people in my class who do because they can simply ace tests, they have this "God-given" advantage over me. Many a times I've been angry at God about it too. But its all days of past, when you are a teenager, and you want to outperform everyone, you want to be a superman in academics. So of course, if I keep on ignoring what I have which others dont, I'd be living a miserable life, always looking at others and cringing on my lack of such abilities. You have to just let it go and accept that this dunya is not paradise, and try to find strength in whatever you are good at.

I am not good at memorizing useless details, like which stupid domain of Na+ channel does phenytoin bind to, but I am good with abstract thinking (mind you, its of no use in medicine and med school though! Med school's just rote memorization of facts and steps and if you are good at that, ud ace med). So just accept what you have, and dont think about what you dont.

Just today we had this young patient with winged scapula and thoracic nerve damage, for the life of me, I could not recall the myotomes for the muscle serratus anterior supplied by this nerve. I could not even recall the myotomes for tricpes and stuff. I did all this stuff long time ago, and it pissed me off to death. But if I keep this attitude, soon I'd pull the trigger. I have to let "perfection" go, and so should you.

There was a time when I was scared to death of writing essays in uni courses. I took a history course in second year, I got highest marks in essay in the class. That changed my whole perception on how I viewed my writing.

Snowflake
03-14-2012, 09:45 AM
Guys.. Guys... I know my English looks ok and all that, but that because the content is formed in my head and I'm understanding what I'm saying. Forget even my ability to write formal emails. Forget how I write anything. The real issue blighting my life is understanding what others are saying. Of course I can understand to a certain level, but after that it goes over my head. There's practical reasons why it's such a drawback. I can't make much progress otherwise. And it disheartens me when I'm told to stop worrying. I'd love to receive tips on how to improve my reading and comprehension skills instead. <- - - - - It just hit me - that's the problem!?

P.S. I know I'm still insisting that I have a problem. But I am deeply grateful to everyone who has tried to help. Barak Allahu feekum.

Snowflake
03-14-2012, 05:48 PM
Thanks bro. I'm ok with formatting letters. It's when I have to, in my own words, request something from a company, that I find it difficult to structure my sentences. I sound so naff.

format_quote Originally Posted by Ğħαrєєвαħ

I have this problem with me, where i'm always paranoid whether I've actually made sense or not :/

even this post, does it make any sense? :hiding:
Sis!! Your posts are so intelligent, masha Allah. Remember the old days on Smelltalk? LOL! You were witty and funny then too, but never serious. So no offence (it's a compliment) but I had no idea how smart and knowledgeable you actually were until I read your posts on this forum. :D

Ğħαrєєвαħ
03-15-2012, 11:49 PM
As'Salaamu Alaaykum

Sis!! Your posts are so intelligent, masha Allah. Remember the old days on Smelltalk? LOL! You were witty and funny then too, but never serious. So no offence (it's a compliment) but I had no idea how smart and knowledgeable you actually were until I read your posts on this forum. :D
Smelltalk was incredible! an incredible waste of time mostly!

I don't believe i'm knowledgeable, but Alhamdulilaah for the knowledge i have gained..whatever good I say is from Allaah and the bad from myself, i've yet loads to learn through out this journey of life inshaa'Allaah along with many others on board.

may Allaah SWT increase us all in 'ilm of his perfect deen and the strength to implement it into our lives, Aameen

Also, got to admit, i'm impressed by a number of your posts, keep it up dear sis.

Snowflake
03-17-2012, 08:05 AM
^Masha Allah sis. May Allah increase all the muslimeen. Knowledge is the glue which holds us together. Ya Allah, make our knowledge, even if it is small, beneficial for us, our parents, and others, in this duniya and the hereafter. Ameen.

Also, got to admit, i'm impressed by a number of your posts, keep it up dear sis.
Al hamdulillah sis. If Allah didn't give me the ability, I could've done nothing from myself. Allahu akbar.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!