/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How reliable are RDA's? Is it safe to by pass them?

Salahudeen
03-13-2012, 08:14 PM
Are RDA's set in stone and should never be by passed because with a lot of stuff I take double the RDA to notice the effect :hmm:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Snowflake
03-13-2012, 09:20 PM
I think it depends on what you're taking and whether you need it in the first place. Vitamin A for example, is toxic in large doses. But excess of Vitamin C vitamin is passed out of the body. May I ask what you're taking, and are you sure you really need them?

Santoku
03-14-2012, 12:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Salahudeen
Are RDA's set in stone and should never be by passed because with a lot of stuff I take double the RDA to notice the effect :hmm:
From what I understand current research says that vitamin pills have only minimal effect if any, and a well balanced healthy diet is much preferable healthwise.

Salahudeen
03-15-2012, 05:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dying Rose
I think it depends on what you're taking and whether you need it in the first place. Vitamin A for example, is toxic in large doses. But excess of Vitamin C vitamin is passed out of the body. May I ask what you're taking, and are you sure you really need them?
Flax seed oil capsules, zinc capsules, one zinc tablet is 15mg.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Snowflake
03-15-2012, 05:35 PM
^Seems both can be harmful in excess. Just take RDA insha Allah.

Question: Can zinc be harmful?
Yes, if you get too much. Signs of too much zinc include nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, stomach cramps, diarrhea, and headaches. When people take too much zinc for a long time, they sometimes have problems such as low copper levels, lower immunity, and low levels of HDL cholesterol (the "good" cholesterol).

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/zinc-quickfacts/

What Are the Side Effects of Too Much Flaxseed Oil?

Flaxseed oil is taken as a supplement primarily for its omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acid content. As the University of Maryland Medical Center, or UMMC, explains, flaxseed oil can help with regulation of cholesterol levels, reduce the risk of heart disease and treat dry eye symptoms of Sjogren' s syndrome. Available in liquid or capsule form, UMMC recommends adult dosages of 1 to 2 tbsp. or capsules daily.
Constipation

Flaxseed oil is a source of fiber. As such, too much flaxseed oil can cause constipation, as the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine, or NCCAM, points out. This can also, in rare instances, lead to intestinal blockages. The best prevention against this side effect, as NCCAM advises, is to drink plenty of water in addition to the supplements.
Mane Hair Thickener Proven effective treatment for thinning hair for Men and Women. www.maneuk.com
Sponsored Links

Gastrointestinal Discomfort

Increasing the body's fiber intake with flaxseed oil supplements may cause various forms of gastrointestinal discomfort. World's Healthiest Foods says that gas and a bloated feeling are common. It advises starting with low dosages and gradually building up to minimize these effects. Too much flaxseed oil can also have a laxative effect.
Interference with Absorption

The high fiber intake associated with too much flaxseed oil may inhibit the body's ability to absorb medications and nutrients, UMMC warns. Flaxseed oil should not be taken with medications or nutritional supplements. The National Institutes of Health, or NIH, recommends taking other drugs or supplements at least one hour prior to and at least two hours after taking flaxseed oil.
Other Side Effects

An overdose of flaxseed oil can trigger shortness of breath or rapid breathing, muscle weakness, trouble walking, seizures and paralysis, according to NIH. Excessive quantities of flaxseed oil have caused mania and hypomania in people with bipolar disorder as well, reports NIH.
Allergic Reactions

Some people suffer allergic reactions to flaxseed oil, some of which are severe, cautions NIH. Signs of an allergic reaction can include skin breakouts such as rash or hives, difficulty breathing and anaphylaxis.
Interactions

Flaxseed oil, especially in high quantities, can have potentially dangerous interactions with drugs and other supplements. Known risks outlined by NIH include interactions with medications and supplements that regulate blood pressure, cholesterol levels or hormone levels, that function as a laxative or stool softener, that treat acid reflux, that act as muscle relaxers or that alter mood. Flaxseed oil can also increase the risk of bleeding. Flaxseed oil may also interact with blood thinners, adds UMMC.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/13...#ixzz1pCxOeNrb

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!