/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Taking mind altering medications?

Nabooly
03-17-2012, 10:30 PM
Salam all!

Inshallah everyone is well :)

I have a question that I have never thought about, but just came to me this morning. 7 months ago I was diagnosed with ADHD. I went to my doctor because I had the following:
Extreme insomnia - couldn't sleep at all, and when I slept It was so hard to wake up on time.
No energy through the day - even with exercise and a great diet (I love healthy food!)
Bored extremely easily - no matter what I do i get bored 5 mins later. It's so weird, ill be cooking something then half way through I'm like ouff when is this gunna be done. El7amdillah the only thing I don't seem to ever get board of is reading the Qur'an and reading anything related to Islam.
Shaky legs/hands - Im ALWAYS shaking my hands and legs, it's extremely annoying. My body wants me to constantly move!
The worst is at uni...my classes are literally impossible to attend and pay attention to. Lectures are the worst.

Anyway, she evaluated me and said that I have adhd. Unfortunately the medications used to treat it are mind altering. They effect the brain. I was wondering whether this is halal or haram? She gave me Adderall (amphetamine salts). I makes you focus more and calms the brain so ur not switching between thoughts so often.

I take 1 a day, and it's extended release so it lasts through the day.

Thank you in advance for any input! :)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Hamza Asadullah
03-21-2012, 11:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nabooly
Salam all!

Inshallah everyone is well :)

I have a question that I have never thought about, but just came to me this morning. 7 months ago I was diagnosed with ADHD. I went to my doctor because I had the following:
Extreme insomnia - couldn't sleep at all, and when I slept It was so hard to wake up on time.
No energy through the day - even with exercise and a great diet (I love healthy food!)
Bored extremely easily - no matter what I do i get bored 5 mins later. It's so weird, ill be cooking something then half way through I'm like ouff when is this gunna be done. El7amdillah the only thing I don't seem to ever get board of is reading the Qur'an and reading anything related to Islam.
Shaky legs/hands - Im ALWAYS shaking my hands and legs, it's extremely annoying. My body wants me to constantly move!
The worst is at uni...my classes are literally impossible to attend and pay attention to. Lectures are the worst.

Anyway, she evaluated me and said that I have adhd. Unfortunately the medications used to treat it are mind altering. They effect the brain. I was wondering whether this is halal or haram? She gave me Adderall (amphetamine salts). I makes you focus more and calms the brain so ur not switching between thoughts so often.

Thank you in advance for any input! :)
:sl:

Taking medicine prescribed by qualified physicians to cure the mind and body of illnesses and ailments is permitted and and even recommended in Islam. Regarding your medication i think you should consult with your doctor about being prescribed alternative medication especially those that do not have as much affect on the mind or even alternative therapys to help or even alleviate your condition. You can also see a raqi to do ruqya which uses the Qur'an and the Sunnah to help with a medical or spiritual ailment or illness.

So see your doctor immediately about alternative medical options regarding your condition. Ask of Allah to do what is best for you and your patience will be rewarded in abundance if you put your reliance and trust in Allah.

And Allah knows best in all matters

Alpha Dude
03-21-2012, 11:06 PM
Wa alaykum salam,

Have they helped?

Dagless
03-22-2012, 01:33 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
Wa alaykum salam,

Have they helped?
+1.
The "alterations" from the drugs seem to be beneficial ones if they've helped.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
03-22-2012, 05:36 AM
Br. Alpha is actually on to something, if you are taking a med and you're not improving and worst yet it has altered your quality of life and given you bad side effects then you should have a talk with the prescriber.. However on such meds you need to take them at least 6 weeks before making that decision to quit or switch with her.
I am a fan of cognitive behavioral therapy practically 99% of the population suffer insomnia, shakiness, lack of concentration and tiredness those in and of themselves are pretty non-descript..

Alpha Dude
03-22-2012, 08:14 AM
I'm not a fan of the classification of ADHD. I think it's over- and probably in a lot of cases, mis-diagnosed. Pretty sure there's some kind of money to be made for the pharmaceutical companies somewhere in all this. However, if someone feels it helps them - fair enough, hence my question.

I think cognitive behaviourial therapy would be better, too.

Generally, what I've come to know is that in life, whenever something or someone promises a 'quick fix', you can bet your bottom dollar there is some kind of catch or side-effect. :/

Nabooly
03-29-2012, 01:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamza Asadullah
:sl:

Taking medicine prescribed by qualified physicians to cure the mind and body of illnesses and ailments is permitted and and even recommended in Islam. Regarding your medication i think you should consult with your doctor about being prescribed alternative medication especially those that do not have as much affect on the mind or even alternative therapys to help or even alleviate your condition. You can also see a raqi to do ruqya which uses the Qur'an and the Sunnah to help with a medical or spiritual ailment or illness.

So see your doctor immediately about alternative medical options regarding your condition. Ask of Allah to do what is best for you and your patience will be rewarded in abundance if you put your reliance and trust in Allah.

And Allah knows best in all matters
The alternatives are other ADHD medications, which in general all work the same way. This medicine doesn't provide a "high" feeling that disassociates me from reality, what it does, in my experience, is alleviate the racing mind and helps me focus on whatever it is I am doing. If it was a dissociative, I would not have even thought about it in the first place. Because 100% that is haram.

Wa alaykum salam,

Have they helped?
Yes, without a doubt. Alhamdillah.

format_quote Originally Posted by Dagless
+1.
The "alterations" from the drugs seem to be beneficial ones if they've helped.
Yes, definitely beneficial! :)

format_quote Originally Posted by لميس
Br. Alpha is actually on to something, if you are taking a med and you're not improving and worst yet it has altered your quality of life and given you bad side effects then you should have a talk with the prescriber.. However on such meds you need to take them at least 6 weeks before making that decision to quit or switch with her.
I am a fan of cognitive behavioral therapy practically 99% of the population suffer insomnia, shakiness, lack of concentration and tiredness those in and of themselves are pretty non-descript..
Bad side effects include insomnia, appetite loss, teeth clenching..etc. I'm only experiencing the appetite loss (I lost 12 pounds in 6 months). I saw my doc today and she told me to try as much as I can to eat as much as I can, and include protein shakes into my diet.

I'm not a fan of the classification of ADHD. I think it's over- and probably in a lot of cases, mis-diagnosed. Pretty sure there's some kind of money to be made for the pharmaceutical companies somewhere in all this. However, if someone feels it helps them - fair enough, hence my question.

I think cognitive behaviourial therapy would be better, too.

Generally, what I've come to know is that in life, whenever something or someone promises a 'quick fix', you can bet your bottom dollar there is some kind of catch or side-effect. :/
I would love to be treated this way. However, I do not have the time to see a therapist once a week. Maybe in the future (I have no desire to be on this medication long-term)

Thank you all for the great insights! You put me at ease :) Shukran.

syed1
03-29-2012, 03:06 AM
I have had experience with this drug as well.. I would get 30 mg xr and take it occasionally. I would take it to study when I had an exam or an assignment to do. I think it did help me in staying focused for prolonged periods of time but the reason I was doing it I believe made it haram.

I went to my doc and literally asked him to let me try the pill and he did even though I did not have any real medical condition. I continued this for a few years and over the years I believe the pill had a negative effect off my over all. I feel it has made me more dull and less creative in terms of my thinking and personality.

So be careful while you are using this- if you have any questions just ask I have much experience dealing with this one.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!