/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The Approach of Scholars..

~Raindrop~
03-19-2012, 01:57 AM
:sl:

Some are quite strict/harsh in their approach, some are usually gentle. Both have their benefits and I'm not criticising any of them.
Which do you prefer, and why?
Also, to what extent do you agree or disagree with the following statement:

Most of the Ummah is so weak today, that harshness will only drive them away.
I'd appreciate your thoughts and opinions on this!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ILuvAllah
03-19-2012, 02:03 AM
I prefer gentle because the mentioned statement answers it best Most of the Ummah is so weak today, that harshness will only drive them away. this is 100% true.

TrueStranger
03-19-2012, 03:48 AM
It doesn't matter if they are harsh or not, I'm fine with both as long as they go out of their way to acquire knowledge from the world around them and not merely limit their knowledge about their cultural background. When dealing with the Muslim Ummah, the more culturally-aware the scholars are the better.

~Raindrop~
03-19-2012, 11:00 AM
جزاك الله خيرا for your replies.

TrueStranger: yes, I was referring to scholars who have spent years in the pursuit of knowledge. If they have true understanding of the Deen, then they'll know the issues that affect the youth, women, also issues of nationalism and tribalism etc.

How should they approach the youth, or those that have very weak Iman, especially in this day and age?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
tigerkhan
03-19-2012, 11:42 AM
i agree with the statement. islam encourage softenss. eg the tribe of Taif when came to Prophet PBUH and nogociate that they r ready to accept islam but will not pay zakat. Prophet PBUH compromise to some extent. BUT this concession is not a excuse everytime. we need to improve our iman as main taget of our life.

Amat Allah
03-19-2012, 12:17 PM
'General Behavior (Kitab Al-Adab)' of Sunan Abu-Dawud.

Narrated Aisha, Ummul Mu'minin: Al-Miqdam ibn Shurayh, quoting his father, said: I asked Aisha about living in the desert. She said: The Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) used to go to the desert to these rivulets. Once he intended to go to the desert and he sent to me a she-camel from the camel of sadaqah which had not been used for riding so far. He said to me: Aisha! show gentleness, for if gentleness is found in anything, it beautifies it and when it is taken out from anything it damages it.

~Zaria~
03-19-2012, 02:36 PM
Assalamu-alaikum,

JazakAllah, great topic.

I am wondering what is meant by 'strict' and 'gentle' - in matters of Islam.

If we are in agreement that our lives should revolve around 2 things: Quraan and Sunnah - then there is no command, made by Allah (subhanawataƔla) and his Rasul (sallalahu alaihi wasalam) that can classified as 'harsh' or 'gentle'.......because they are all for OUR benefit.

A scholar who is trying to convey these messages should do so in a manner that is balanced.

We need to be reminded of Allahs wrath and the punishment of Jahannam.......but also His mercy and the promise of Jannah.
And we need to know the prohibitions set by Allah Taa'la (for our benefit) - without emphasing some, and ignoring/ belittling others.

We need to ask ourselves:
- Is the scholars 'approach' harsh?.......from my limited knowledge, this is not often the case.

- Or are we regarding the 'content' as being harsh?
If the content is based on sahih ahadith and Quraan - then does this mean that we are finding the commands of Allah as being 'strict'?

And, many of us may in fact feel this way from time to time......

e.g

When I realised that shaping the eyebrows is forbidden - I was initially thinking to myself - this is pretty harsh!

However, sometimes we need to able to forsake OUR own desires and pleasures........for no other reason, but to earn the pleasure of our Allah Taa'la - the One that has created us from nothing and continues to sustain us everyday.

In return, all He requests from us is our submission and obedience.

:wa:

Endymion
03-19-2012, 06:45 PM
If this is the harshness that Umar RA showed to anti Islam forces,then i love it but if this harshness hurt people who are willing to learn the deeyn,then i hate it.

Amat Allah
03-19-2012, 10:03 PM
Assalaamu Alikum Wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakaatuh

When we are talking about being kind and gentle then that means in treating others and in the way of giving the Elm and Naseeha humbly...

For Allah`s commandments and rules of the Deen; then there is nothing called harshness...This Deen is the religion of Rahmah (Mercy) then how come we call it harsh in its rules, commandments and teachings ...no way to be when its the perfect merciful way That The Most Merciful The Most Compassionate made for us and honored us to carry its name and be His slaves and servants...

gentleness, kindness, warmth, excellent manners , mercy, wisdom and all good manners were the khuluq of Rassol Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) and all are must be in treating of people and also to be understanding for the differencies in personalities, madhabs and condtions of the others...

Allah`s rules and limits are The rules and limits no matter what or whether others liked it or not; then you don`t have the right to choose or to object or to open your mouth with one word cause those are from The All Knower and you have nothing from the unseen or the unknown knowledge but Allah and He Is The Only One Who knows what best for us and we are not talking about those here but the best way of making the others accept those rulings and commandments peacfully and freely and also be pleased and have peace with them.

this is it, Allah says:"So by mercy from Allah, [O Muhammad], you were lenient with them. And if you had been rude [in speech] and harsh in heart, they would have disbanded from about you. So pardon them and ask forgiveness for them and consult them in the matter. And when you have decided, then rely upon Allah. Indeed, Allah loves those who rely [upon Him]. (159)" Surat Aal Im`raan

The kindness, mercy and patience are great and important tools to make Da`wa, to advice to make others love the deen of course with the proper knowledge in shaa Allah...

and at the end Allah says:"Say, "Obey Allah and obey the Messenger; but if you turn away - then upon him is only that [duty] with which he has been charged, and upon you is that with which you have been charged. And if you obey him, you will be [rightly] guided. And there is not upon the Messenger except the [responsibility for] clear notification." (54)" Surat Annoor

So, our job here is to only convey the message and explain it in the best way and there is no best way like what Allah taught our beloved Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) and whether others accepted it or not then the hidayah is not in our hands but in Allah`s and Alhamdulilah we have conveyed the message, did our part from giving the naseeha and informing others and in shaa Allah we are innocet and free from that before Allah in the Day of Judgement...

Allah says:"Not upon you, [O Muhammad], is [responsibility for] their guidance, but Allah guides whom He wills." Surat Al Baqarah

and:"Show forgiveness, enjoin what is good, and turn away from the foolish (i.e. don't punish them). (199)" Surat Al Aaraaf

and says:"Indeed, [O Muhammad], you do not guide whom you like, but Allah guides whom He wills. And He is most knowing of the [rightly] guided. (56)" Surat Al Qasas

May Allah guide us all , give us Sabir, Hikmah , Knowldge , humblness and help us to worship Him right and to love for each other the eternal living in the highest level of the Paradise and even without any reckoning Ameeeeeeeeeeen

BintAbee
03-20-2012, 01:37 PM
:wa:

I'm sure that you are referring to the approach of the scholars and not the actual rulings/fatawa because the rulings are set, but it's the manner in which they are issued that could be gentle or harsh.

Naturally I prefer if the scholars are gentle, whether or not one has weak Imaan, it is always easier to accept something if it is portrayed in a good and kind manner...

After Amat Allah's posts, there's very little I can add :thumbs_up

:w:

Beardo
03-20-2012, 01:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aisha

Some are quite strict/harsh in their approach, some are usually gentle. Both have their benefits and I'm not criticising any of them.
Which do you prefer, and why?
Also, to what extent do you agree or disagree with the following statement:

I'd appreciate your thoughts and opinions on this!
I ONLY believe in compassion in relaying Islam to others.

For example, that is why I don't like Qur'an teachers who punish their students because it leaves a negative impression and attribution to the Qur'an.

There is also compassion despite disagreement and to genuinely think well of others. Give them the benefit of the doubt. And that is what I try to live by. There is always a gentle method to approach someone, and that seems to be more effective. Tell them kindly, and let them ponder upon it.

Amat Allah
03-20-2012, 02:09 PM
lets just take our prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) as an example and that would be enough in shaa Allah cause if his khuluq salla Allahu alyhi wa sallam was the Qur`aan then what else you want??

tigerkhan
03-20-2012, 10:36 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by BintAbee
I'm sure that you are referring to the approach of the scholars and not the actual rulings/fatawa because the rulings are set, but it's the manner in which they are issued that could be gentle or harsh.
i dont think so. the main issue is Fatwa itself. thats y its in hadith that prophet PBUH once pray asar and maghrib prayers together and when ppl ask suhaba RA y He PBUH did so. They replied that Prophet PBUH did this bcz of ease for the ppl.
in one hadith its has been adviced that dont make the deen difficult for ppl, ease them.
prophet PBUH didnot make miswak, tahajub, salat witar faraz for ppl only bcz of ease of ppl.
so i think the main focus should not be on issueing fatwas, although its necessary too, but the thing we should emphasize more is to build stronger eman.
Once the people of Kofa went to Shiek and asked a fatwa of very small (mustahab) problem. Shiek replied that while u ppl were killing Hazrat Hussain RA, u didn't ask for fatwa. mean u need to improve urself rather than taking fatwa all the time.
now a days, i think ulama should also follow this approach, they stress more on eman and islah than issueing fatwas. i mean like interest, its in hadith that in last time all ummah will be involved in it. now better approach is avoid giving fawta to normal ppl about this rather try to improve their eman by encouraging them for salat, deeni activities and lectures.
Allah SWT knows the best.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!