/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Missouri Bipolar Woman Kills 3 Daughters, Self

جوري
03-21-2012, 02:14 AM
Missouri Bipolar Woman Kills 3 Daughters, Self

Neighbors were shocked to learn that Christine Adewunmi, a cheerful, “always-smiling” mother who adored her three girls shot all three of them in the head before turning the gun on herself, last Friday at a Missouri resort. Bipolar Depression may be to blame.

Christine, 37, has struggled with bipolar depression, according to her husband, who reported that she had twice recently disappeared with the girls, and lied about her where-abouts. He also said that she was suicidal and had researched methods for killing herself on the internet. Christine had told her sister that she said she was soon to admit herself for mental health treatment.

The family had been known in their neighborhood for their generosity, as instanced when they sold lemonade to raise money for cancer victims. The girls were Girl Scouts and she had been a physical education teacher in the Parkway School district before becoming a full time stay-at-home mother.

Her children were “the number one priority in her life,” a statement from her family said. Her recent behavior was entirely uncharacteristic of her. She took her daughters, 8-year-old Lauren, 6-year-old Samantha, and 3-year-old Kate, ate with her at McDonald’s at 11pm on Friday. Later that night the three children were taken to The Blue Springs Ranch and Resort, close to Bourbon, Mo. On Saturday, the four were found dead on the flooded gravel road, each with a single bullet wound to the head.

A statement from her family reads:

“It is with a heavy heart and extreme sadness that we release this statement about Christine, Lauren, Samantha and Kate Adewunmi. This is a very challenging time for the family and friends and we appreciate all the support, prayers and love.

“Christine Adewunmi was a loving and devoted mother. She spent the last 9 years making her children the number one priority in her life – going to the park, taking them on vacations, playing in the yard and making sure they had a good childhood.

“Christine was battling depression. Family, friends and professionals were supporting her recovery and stood by her side as she coped with the debilitating disease. Depression is difficult to understand and a serious illness that is hard to comprehend. No one knew the depths of her problem or could ever foresee this tragedy occurring. We cannot understand why this has happened and are dealing with this tragic loss one minute at a time. We firmly believe the Christine we knew and loved would never intentionally hurt her children.

“As the days go on, we pray for Leonard Adewunmi as he deals with this horrible loss. He is a proud and loving father of his three smart, beautiful and talented little girls. As an involved and caring dad, he will miss cooking with Lauren, playing soccer with Sammi, and singing to Kate. Leonard is a devout Catholic and family man that worked very hard to give his wife and children a wonderful life. Please respect his privacy as he has just lost his entire family.”

http://www.jdjournal.com/2012/03/20/...aughters-self/

This upset me so I thought I'd share it on board and divide the upsetness :(

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
GodIsAll
03-21-2012, 02:53 AM
This is my "neck of the woods".I am surprised I have not heard of it.Disturbing...

جوري
03-21-2012, 03:17 AM
Such lovely girls.. and the comments were vile.. mostly race related.. made me sick.. I make a point never to read comments I don't know why my eyes went there on the HP..really upsetting..

GodIsAll
03-21-2012, 03:26 AM
I agree. Beautiful family. Looking at the photo alone, one would never guess the horror that lurked there.
The article mentions that the wife worked at the Parkway School District - this is a very wealthy and affluent area of St. Louis.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
03-21-2012, 03:28 AM
I keep imagining her shooting one daughter after the next it really disturbs me to think they watched one another die.. la 7wala wla qiwta illa billah and I hear this news every other day.. what is wrong with the state of the world? why all this bloodshed?

GodIsAll
03-21-2012, 03:38 AM
BlueBell:
I feel and share you pain.
I wonder if I'll see the days when human beings fail to disappoint me.
Still...through the love of God, I try so hard to love them all, these members of this planet's most wretched of species.

CosmicPathos
03-21-2012, 05:17 AM
she was clearly depressed. and bipolar manic depression at that. suicide is very common in depression.

dont know what to say. each soul is born to suffer his own lot and die with it. hoping that the husband does not become atheist now after dealing with this tragedy.

جوري
03-21-2012, 03:40 PM
One day he was a father and husband and the next he's shopping for four caskets .. Life can change in a day ... I have battled with depression for many years with all the dark thoughts with it yet something always holds a person back from the mind's despair .. It was actually the time I took up prayers sobhan Allah for the life of me can't imagine a Muslim abandoning it. It's the rope from Allah so we don't completely drown..

Sunnie Ameena
03-21-2012, 03:53 PM
GodIsAll, I live 45 minutes West of St. Louis. I heard about this terrible tragedy and it breaks my heart.

BlueBell, I too suffer from depression. I did nothing about it until 2 years ago. I am also OCD, and suffer from anxiety. My doctor gave me 3 different types of medicine, and it helped me alot. And now that I have found Islam, I am truly blessed.

I will pray for the father so that he can learn to cope and deal with his tremendous loss and grief. May he find Peace with Allah.

Sunnie Ameena

aadil77
03-21-2012, 04:04 PM
Why didn't she just kill herself, selfish woman had to take her children down with her

Sunnie Ameena
03-21-2012, 04:23 PM
Her being Bi-polar, one really doesn't know what was going through her head at the time. She could have had all sorts of bad things going on in her mind to make her feel unsafe for her girls and herself, or that no one could take care of them like she could. Yes it is a tragedy that she took their lives, too, she definitly needed medical attention. Now her husband has to live and cope with this terrible tragedy.

CosmicPathos
03-21-2012, 11:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
Why didn't she just kill herself, selfish woman had to take her children down with her
not a fair assessment. what she ended up doing was terrible, but she couldnt think rationally because of BPD. i dont know if islam looks at depression as mental insanity or not.

may Allah give us the serenity that some of us so desperately seek and need in the midst of 21st century chaotic, robotic and hellish life.

GodIsAll
03-22-2012, 02:57 AM
Sunnie:

We are practically neighbors.

I looked this up today after reading BlueBell's post last night...so sad...so disturbing. I need to pray for advice as to how I can do God's will in assisting this father who is close by.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!