/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Pet pigs

Sunnie Ameena
03-22-2012, 12:50 AM
I know that we do not eat pork, but it is wrong for a Muslim to have a pet potbellied pig? I'm just curious. lol

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
TrueStranger
03-22-2012, 01:08 AM
I have no idea. I don't see why not, but maybe someone with more knowledge on this area will give you a better answer.

Is the image below by any chance a potbellied pig? ;D I could see why they call it potbellied.

Attachment 4713

جوري
03-22-2012, 01:28 AM
I hate pigs outside of religion just really can't stand them or parrots or monkeys I can't imagine anyone would want to live with such a vile creature..
why would anyone defile their house with such a filthy creature? Animals belong in nature, in the wild not trapped in homes...

Sunnie Ameena
03-22-2012, 01:36 AM
Yes TrueStranger, that is indeed a potbellied pig. I will be looking for more responses.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Abz2000
03-22-2012, 01:59 AM
pigs are one of the dirtiest animals i have seen
they eat cud
i remember under the bridge in bd there were some hindus who had pigs, and all the waste would be thrown under the bridge and the whole place stank, but the pigs just enjoyed themselves in that stuff,
they'd poo in that place all day, and eat from the same place with their faces in the mud, and then poop back in it again, and eat it again.
used to feel like vomiting every time i passed,
that did me.
and to think i didnt think it was so bad growing up here not knowing anything about them but the cute little pink piggies with curly tails
the truth is far from it lol

Hamza Asadullah
03-22-2012, 02:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sunnie
I know that we do not eat pork, but it is wrong for a Muslim to have a pet potbellied pig? I'm just curious. lol
:sl:

Pigs have been made impure for us and therefore tt is not even permissable to wear products made from pig let alone keeping it as a pet. When Isa (As) descends he will also kill the pig:

The Prophet (Sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam) said: "(I swear) By him in Whose Hands my soul is, the son of Mary (Jesus) will shortly descend amongst you people (Muslims) as a just ruler and will break the Cross and kill the pig and abolish the Jizyah (a tax taken from the non-Muslims who are in the protection of the Muslim government).” [Al-Bukhaari, Muslim]

Sheikh Mufti Ebrahim Desai says regarding keeping animals such as pigs:

To keep harmful animals or animals deemed impure in the Shariah eg. pigs ,
as pets would not be permissible. Other animals eg: cats, sheep, goats,
birds, fish etc. are permissible to keep as pets.

Source: http://www.islam.tc/cgi-bin/askimam/...=5745&act=view

So keeping a pig or wearing any product made from pig is not permissable as it is impure.

And Allah knows best in all matters

Marina-Aisha
03-22-2012, 09:11 PM
i didnt even know u could get clothes made from pig..wow thats totally gross

جوري
03-22-2012, 09:21 PM
Yup leather shoes and belts are't always bovine in origin...

Sunnie Ameena
03-22-2012, 09:28 PM
Hazma Asadullah, thank you for the information, that answered all my questions. Sunnie Ameena

Marina-Aisha
03-22-2012, 10:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by مهرة
eeew thats gross, so is it best not to buy leather things?

GuestFellow
03-22-2012, 10:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamza Asadullah

Pigs have been made impure for us and therefore tt is not even permissable to wear products made from pig let alone keeping it as a pet. When Isa (As) descends he will also kill the pig:

The Prophet (Sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam) said: "(I swear) By him in Whose Hands my soul is, the son of Mary (Jesus) will shortly descend amongst you people (Muslims) as a just ruler and will break the Cross and kill the pig and abolish the Jizyah (a tax taken from the non-Muslims who are in the protection of the Muslim government).” [Al-Bukhaari, Muslim]
:wa:

What has killing a pig got to do with keeping pigs? O_o Surely there must be a context behind this verse.

Sheikh Mufti Ebrahim Desai says regarding keeping animals such as pigs:

To keep harmful animals or animals deemed impure in the Shariah eg. pigs ,
as pets would not be permissible. Other animals eg: cats, sheep, goats,
birds, fish etc. are permissible to keep as pets.
Evidence?

GuestFellow
03-22-2012, 10:04 PM
Salaam,

I think some parts of car seats are made of leather.

جوري
03-22-2012, 10:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tragic Typos
Salaam,

I think some parts of car seats are made of leather.
Yup very few designers & manufacturers mention which animal their goods came from unfortunately..

Alpha Dude
03-22-2012, 10:21 PM
I hate pigs outside of religion just really can't stand them or parrots or monkeys I can't imagine anyone would want to live with such a vile creature..
What's wrong with monkeys and parrots? They're cool. :skeleton:

GuestFellow
03-22-2012, 10:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
What's wrong with monkeys and parrots? They're cool.
:skeleton:
Salaam,

I have two cockatiels. The most curious creatures on the planet.

Alpha Dude
03-22-2012, 10:29 PM
Salaam,

The most curious creatures on the planet.
Wa alaykum salam,

If that was the case, why is the phrase curiosity killed the cat and not curiosity killed the cockatiel. :p

جوري
03-22-2012, 11:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by marina28
eeew thats gross, so is it best not to buy leather things?
Sry I just saw your post I am kind of blind..
I would ask most of them will tell you if you ask... I'd avoid things that I am suspicious of although there was a hadith where the prophet told one of the companions that he made the water impure with his question when water was dumped on him on the way to make prayers (I can't source it) but nonetheless there's also the hadith that states and this one I can source:
Abû `Abd Allah al-Nu`mân b. Bashîr relates that he heard Allah’s Messenger (peace be upon him) say: “That which is lawful is clear and that which is unlawful is clear. Between the two are doubtful matters that few people have knowledge about. Whoever avoids these doubtful matters absolves himself of blame with respect to his religion and his honor. Whoever falls into doubtful things will fall into what is unlawful, just like the shepherd who grazes his flock too close to a private pasture is liable to have some of his flock stray into it. Every king has a private pasture, and Allah’s private pasture is what he has prohibited. Verily, in the body is a small piece of flesh that if it is healthy, the whole body is healthy and if it is sick, the whole body is sick. This small piece of flesh is the heart.” [Sahîh al-Bukhârî and Sahîh Muslim]

and Allah swt knows best,

Insaanah
03-22-2012, 11:15 PM
What has killing a pig got to do with keeping pigs? O_o Surely there must be a context behind this verse.

Evidence?

We know that in the Qur'an, the flesh of swine is the only named animal's meat mentioned as being outright and completely haram, other than if one is forced by necessity.

We also know, that it's flesh is impure:

Sahih International
Say, "I do not find within that which was revealed to me [anything] forbidden to one who would eat it unless it be a dead animal or blood spilled out or the flesh of swine - for indeed, it is impure - or it be [that slaughtered in] disobedience, dedicated to other than Allah . But whoever is forced [by necessity], neither desiring [it] nor transgressing [its limit], then indeed, your Lord is Forgiving and Merciful." (6:145)

We also know that Islam encourages cleanliness, and that we are not allowed to keep things deemed Islamically impure in our homes.

Narrated Jabir bin `Abdullah: I heard Allah's Apostle :saws:, in the year of the Conquest of Mecca, saying, "Allah and His Apostle made illegal the trade of alcohol, dead animals, pigs and idols." The people asked, "O Allah's Apostle! What about the fat of dead animals, for it was used for greasing the boats and the hides; and people use it for lights?" He said, "No, it is illegal." Allah's Apostle further said, "May Allah curse the Jews, for Allah made the fat (of animals) illegal for them, yet they melted the fat and sold it and ate its price." (Saheeh al-Bukhari, the book of sales and trade Vol. 3, Book 34, Hadith 438)

From this hadeeth, we can see that pigs are mentioned along with idols and alcohol. All of these things, even their trade is haram, that is how bad they are deemed to be.

So, it's completely forbidden by Allah in the divinely revealed scriptures, its flesh is impure, it's trade is forbidden, it's mentioned alongside alcohol and idols, Allah transformed some people into them as a curse, Isa alyhi assalaam will kill them, all of this gives us an idea of the pig's status in Islam. It's not necessary that you need a hadeeth that explicitly says "You cannot keep pigs as pets". Some rulings in Islam are derived from inference.

Please do ask a scholar for further evidence should you need it.

And Allah knows best in all matters, and may He forgive me if I said anything wrong.

GuestFellow
03-23-2012, 07:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Insaanah

:sl:. It's not necessary that you need a hadeeth that explicitly says "You cannot keep pigs as pets". Some rulings in Islam are derived from inference.
:wa:

Exactly, which is why I raised the question in the first place. I'm aware that Muslims cannot keep dogs as pets, unless for a good reason, like for guarding purposes. As for keeping a pig, I'm not so sure. All what your post mentioned was you cannot pigs as materials, cannot trade with them, nor eat them. However, I'm certain your allowed to keep them under certain circumstances, like scientific research.

Marina-Aisha
03-23-2012, 07:23 PM
r u allowed to touch it pork with gloves?
and r u allowed to touch pigs? like pet them? cos my daughter sometimes goes trips with her nursery and sometimes they go to farms r they allowed to touch the pigs?

GuestFellow
03-23-2012, 11:00 PM
^ Salaam,

Best to ask a scholar. You will get different answers here.

Marina-Aisha
03-23-2012, 11:04 PM
oh okay would imam know?

GuestFellow
03-23-2012, 11:35 PM
^ Salaam,

Sure. You can even use websites like IslamQA to post your question. They are very helpful. Keep in mind, scholars have different opinions. I would support the scholar who presents the most evidence.

Marina-Aisha
03-23-2012, 11:54 PM
okay thank you for ur help

A-Believer-25
03-26-2012, 02:16 PM
I don't know why anyone would want to have a pig in their house.

Marina-Aisha
03-26-2012, 06:12 PM
Yea totally there gross animals

Ghazalah
03-26-2012, 09:42 PM
It's not all bad, once it gets hungry, you won't need to worry about feeding it, it'll eat it's own faeces. :hiding:

GuestFellow
03-26-2012, 09:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by A-Believer-25
I don't know why anyone would want to have a pig in their house.
Salaam,

They would keep it in a farm. I doubt anyone would be able to take care of a pig at home.

Revert 2010
03-26-2012, 10:18 PM
I want a pet squirrel on a leash as a pet lol.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!