/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Living alone 'are more depressed'

Alpha Dude
03-23-2012, 12:12 PM
People of working age who live alone increase their risk of depression by up to 80% compared with people living in families, says a Finnish study.

It says the main factors are poor housing conditions for women and a lack of social support for men, who are both equally affected.

The study tracked the use of anti-depressants in 3,500 Finnish people.

A mental health charity said people who lived alone must be given outlets to talk about their problems.

The study authors highlight the fact that the proportion of one-person households in Western countries has increased during the past three decades, with one in every three people in the US and the UK living alone.

The participants in the study, published in BioMed Central's public health journal, were working-age Finns; 1,695 were men and 1,776 were women, and they had an average age of 44.6 years.

Loneliness and isolation results in people having fewer outlets to talk about how they are feeling, which is something that we know can really help.”

They were surveyed in 2000 and asked whether they lived alone or with other people.

Other information about their lifestyle was gathered, such as social support, work climate, education, income, employment status and housing conditions, in addition to details on smoking habits, alcohol use and activity levels.

Researchers found that people living alone bought 80% more anti-depressants during the follow-up period, between 2000 and 2008, than those who did not live alone.

Dr Laura Pulkki-Raback, who led the research at the Finnish Institute of Occupational Health, said the real risk of mental health problems in people living alone could be much higher.

"This kind of study usually underestimates risk because the people who are at the most risk tend to be the people who are least likely to complete the follow up. We were also not able to judge how common untreated depression was."

Isolation
Researchers said that living with other people could offer emotional support and feelings of social integration, as well as other factors that protect against mental health problems.

Living alone, the study said, could be linked with feelings of isolation and a lack of social integration and trust, which are risk factors for mental health.

The study said all the factors involved needed to be addressed in order to understand and reduce depression in working-age people.

Beth Murphy, head of information at mental health charity Mind, said the rise in the number of people living alone had had a clear impact on the nation's mental health.

"Loneliness and isolation results in people having fewer outlets to talk about how they are feeling, which is something that we know can really help to manage and recover from a mental health problem.

"It is therefore essential that people who live alone are given the most appropriate treatment such as talking therapies, which provide safe, supportive environments to discuss and work through problems, rather than simply being left to rely solely on antidepressants."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17475240

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Periwinkle18
03-23-2012, 12:15 PM
wow jazakAllah for sharing

alhumdulillah we live with our families until we're married :)

'Abd-al Latif
03-23-2012, 12:19 PM
^

Unless you're Pakistani.

Endymion
03-23-2012, 12:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Periwinkle18
alhumdulillah we live with our families until we're married
Yup,after marriage you have to live with lots of families :hmm:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Periwinkle18
03-23-2012, 12:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd-al Latif
^
Unless you're Pakistani.
hmm i am :p buh y do ppl move out of their parents house??

'Abd-al Latif
03-23-2012, 12:54 PM
:salamext:

Pakistanis and I think some Saudis customarily move in to the groom's parent's house after marriage. The couple would usually move out after they have kids unless the place where they live is enough to accomadate everyone. Pretty much everyone else around the world move out to a new house or flat after marriage. Moving to a new house gives a lot more privacy and space to the newly-wed. Personally, I believe the latter is the best option to take (but there is nothing wrong in following the custom).

ardianto
03-23-2012, 01:43 PM
:sl:

Effect of living alone for people in study age is different than effect for people in working age. It's because mostly of people in working age have been married.

When I studied in Yogyakarta, I rented a room in a boarding house, alone. Far from my family in Bandung. But I never felt homesick or felt being alone because I had many friends there. There were always friends for me.

Now, sometime I imagine if I am unmarried and live alone, can I enjoy my life like when I studied in Yogyakarta?. I doubt, because almost all of my friend have been married, the rest are living with their families. But they don't have full freedom to do anything again like in the time before they got married.

I must be lonely.

ardianto
03-23-2012, 01:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd-al Latif
Pakistanis and I think some Saudis customarily move in to the groom's parent's house after marriage.
In Pakistani custom, after getting married, the wife move to the husband family and join there. But in Indonesian custom, after getting married, the husband move to the wife family and join there. So, if a married couple haven't afford to have their own living space, usually they live in the wife parent house.

aadil77
03-23-2012, 02:11 PM
yup theres no life without a wife : D

Soulja Girl
03-23-2012, 02:42 PM

hmm i am :p buh y do ppl move out of their parents house??
^You know, I've never understood why its the girls who have to move out and not the boys.. :unsure:

(In most cases) :p

:wa:

Alpha Dude
03-23-2012, 02:49 PM
I've often thought that more and more people are feeling depressed because they are not surrounded by their families.

When there's a lot of noise and a lot of traffic in the house, you feel stuff is happening and that you are a part of something but when you're on your own everything seems static and lifeless.

Even something simple as playing with a cute baby can cheer a person up. The way they walk, smile, burp etc.

ardianto
03-23-2012, 02:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
yup theres no life without a wife : D
There's no life without women.

But, ........ could women have children if there's no men? :D

Periwinkle18
03-23-2012, 03:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
But in Indonesian custom, after getting married, the husband move to the wife family and join there.
OMG really?? thts awesome, if a paki guys does tht ppl make fun of him

Periwinkle18
03-23-2012, 03:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
I've often thought that more and more people are feeling depressed because they are not surrounded by their families.
When there's a lot of noise and a lot of traffic in the house, you feel stuff is happening and that you are a part of something but when you're on your own everything seems static and lifeless.
Even something simple as playing with a cute baby can cheer a person up. The way they walk, smile, burp etc.
thts so true it feels weird wen theres no noise in the house the best part is tht wen ur bored u can go n talk to ur grand parents cuz they live with u too

Ramadan90
03-23-2012, 03:09 PM
I do not think I would be depressed if I lived by myself. I have Islam and I have always been an introvert person, I rather be alone by myself engaging in challanges than being with other people. But I still LOVE my family.

If I had not Islam then I think I would be depressed. Islam makes life SO MUCH easier.

ardianto
03-23-2012, 04:07 PM
OMG really?? thts awesome, if a paki guys does tht ppl make fun of him
Then what people in your place will say if that guy suddenly becomes a manager in his parent in-law company?

So, if you see a husband in Indonesia who look rich, do not make conclusion too fast that he is really success. Probably what he has are given by his parent in-law. ;D

But not always like this. If the husband is financially success, he must contribute to fulfill his wife family needs. My grandparent (from my mom) house paid by my dad.

Periwinkle18
03-23-2012, 04:15 PM
Then what people in your place will say if that guy suddenly becomes a manager in his parent in-law company?
lol they'll say tht he couldnt do anything by himself (meaning hes a failure) and tht his in laws had to support him. :p sum paki's r just weird

in urdu the guys who live at their inlaws r called ghar damaad :p

KDhieb
03-23-2012, 06:06 PM
Salam,

I tried living alone without my family and it was possibly the most depressing time of my life, haha.. but at the same time it taught me many valuable lessons as to first of all, HOW important family is.. and how I should not give up the opportunity I have to spend all the time that I can with my family now.. No company can be compared to the good, sincere and pure company you get from your family alhamdulillah..

KDhieb
03-23-2012, 06:13 PM
Salam Sister ^^,
jazakallahukhairan for the message in your signature

Periwinkle18
03-23-2012, 06:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by KDhieb
Salam Sister ^^,
jazakallahukhairan for the message in your signature
walaikum assalam

Waiyaaki :) glad u read it :)

Hulk
03-23-2012, 06:45 PM
About a year ago my family went on vacation and left me alone at home for about a month because I was having some important school stuff. I thought it was going to be fun, turns out I felt very lonely. Now I think about 2-3 days of being alone is fine but any longer and the loneliness feeling might set in. However, I still think I'd rather live alone then with people I am not close with.

GuestFellow
03-23-2012, 07:13 PM
Salaam,

I wouldn't get depressed if I was living on my own forever. I prefer my own company.

KDhieb
03-23-2012, 07:19 PM
living alone forever? thats hectic! i think naturally any human being would feel the need to speak.. possibly at some point you'd be speaking out loud to yourself making sure your voice is still there :omg:

Who Am I?
03-23-2012, 08:14 PM

I have always been a loner. When I was a kid, I would spend hours by myself and was perfectly content to be by myself.

I lived with my parents until I bought my own house and moved out at the age of 30. I have lived alone since that time.

It was a change at first. I had to learn how to take care of myself very quickly. The things that other people did I now had to do myself, and I found out pretty quickly that I did not enjoy many of those things. ;D

The worst part was being alone. I discovered that being alone was not as much fun as I had intially thought. I had my dogs with me, and honestly I think they were the only things that kept me from going crazy from boredom, depression, and loneliness. But I didn't have real companionship. I didn't have the physical and emotional intimacy that I needed, and I turned to other things to help me fill that void.

GuestFellow
03-23-2012, 10:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Who Am I?

The worst part was being alone. I discovered that being alone was not as much fun as I had intially thought. I had my dogs with me, and honestly I think they were the only things that kept me from going crazy from boredom, depression, and loneliness. But I didn't have real companionship. I didn't have the physical and emotional intimacy that I needed, and I turned to other things to help me fill that void.

You don't need a companionship. Humans are social creatures, but we can adapt. As long as we have something to do, we'll be fine.

I tend to have this habit of planning ahead. I realised that I could possibly be the last one in my family to survive since I'm the youngest, with the exception of my nieces, nephews and a few cousins. My parents, siblings, aunties, uncles, most of my cousins and grandparents will have all died, unless if I die first due to an illness, accident, etc. It is quite a scary thought, but this is life and I have learned to accept it.

tigerkhan
03-23-2012, 11:40 PM
islam emphsize u to be with good and pious ppl...its a blessing if someone find it. i cant exactly remember but its is somewhere mentioned in hadith to not to be alone and cut urself from rest of world.

tigerkhan
03-24-2012, 12:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Who Am I?
I have always been a loner. When I was a kid, I would spend hours by myself and was perfectly content to be by myself.

I lived with my parents until I bought my own house and moved out at the age of 30. I have lived alone since that time.

It was a change at first. I had to learn how to take care of myself very quickly. The things that other people did I now had to do myself, and I found out pretty quickly that I did not enjoy many of those things.

bro islam is a complete and perfect guide book for every aspect of life. islam give concept of marriage, family, pious company and tieing ur kinship. its bcz no one should depressed by living alone.

tigerkhan
03-24-2012, 12:06 AM
In Pakistani custom, after getting married, the wife move to the husband family and join there. But in Indonesian custom, after getting married, the husband move to the wife family and join there. So, if a married couple haven't afford to have their own living space, usually they live in the wife parent house.
cultural diffrence. i was one seeing a documentary about ppl of tribe (somewhere near to Tibat and China, i forgot). in their culture, girl use to propose boy, then if he accept he move to her home after maarige. girl is resposnisible for daily expenses and thats was exactly opposite to what we see mostly in world.

ardianto
03-24-2012, 04:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hulk
About a year ago my family went on vacation and left me alone at home
Kevin? .... Is it you?
http://reviewmyvice.com/wp-content/u...one-677830.jpg

Who Am I?
03-24-2012, 05:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tragic Typos

I tend to have this habit of planning ahead. I realised that I could possibly be the last one in my family to survive since I'm the youngest, with the exception of my nieces, nephews and a few cousins. My parents, siblings, aunties, uncles, most of my cousins and grandparents will have all died, unless if I die first due to an illness, accident, etc. It is quite a scary thought, but this is life and I have learned to accept it.
Well, see, I don't plan things ahead of time. I just take things as they come. I wing it. ;D

format_quote Originally Posted by tigerkhan

bro islam is a complete and perfect guide book for every aspect of life. islam give concept of marriage, family, pious company and tieing ur kinship. its bcz no one should depressed by living alone.
Well I am not really lonely or depressed anymore. So... yeah.

Endymion
03-24-2012, 10:55 AM
I think I can live alone and be happy but then, all those aliens and scary things i have seen in movies start turning into reality and i prepare myself to forgive my nasty siblings once again and think we can still live together :hmm:

Who Am I?
03-24-2012, 05:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Endymion
I think I can live alone and be happy but then, all those aliens and scary things i have seen in movies start turning into reality and i prepare myself to forgive my nasty siblings once again and think we can still live together :hmm:
Don't worry about it. When the aliens land in your yard, tell them to come see me. I have some bones to pick with them for leaving me here on this planet for so long.

As for movie monsters, I have something for them too. I disbelieve....

Endymion
03-24-2012, 05:57 PM
If it'll be a small,friendly alien,then i'll keep it and use its powers for me but if it wont be nice,i'll give it your address :p

(Once we were watching a movie about aliens and my mother asked me why all aliens landed upon USA and speak English :hmm: )

Who Am I?
03-25-2012, 06:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Endymion
If it'll be a small,friendly alien,then i'll keep it and use its powers for me but if it wont be nice,i'll give it your address :p

(Once we were watching a movie about aliens and my mother asked me why all aliens landed upon USA and speak English :hmm: )
Hehe... I have wondered that myself. Like we just assume that any aliens who do land on earth are going to speak English (or any earthly language for that matter)... :hmm:

Cabdullahi
03-25-2012, 07:04 PM
More reasons to get that lovely bubbly zawaj!

Periwinkle18
03-25-2012, 08:08 PM
hmm is there a concept of joint family system in islam??

biz
03-25-2012, 09:58 PM
Salams,

You've got to remember the hadith that says: Dont spend your night alone because when you're alone shaytan catches a muslim much easier.

I suggest brothers and sisters not to live alone..

Alpha Dude
04-01-2012, 09:32 PM
Human societies, at all times and places, have organised themselves around the will to live with others, not alone. But not any more. During the past half-century, our species has embarked on a remarkable social experiment. For the first time in human history, great numbers of people – at all ages, in all places, of every political persuasion – have begun settling down as singletons. Until the second half of the last century, most of us married young and parted only at death. If death came early, we remarried quickly; if late, we moved in with family, or they with us. Now we marry later. We divorce, and stay single for years or decades. We survive our spouses, and do everything we can to avoid moving in with others – including our children. We cycle in and out of different living arrangements: alone, together, together, alone.

Numbers never tell the whole story, but in this case the statistics are startling. According to the market research firm Euromonitor International, the number of people living alone globally is skyrocketing, rising from about 153 million in 1996 to 277 million in 2011 – a 55% increase in 15 years. In the UK, 34% of households have one person living in them and in the US it's 27% – roughly one in every seven adults.
Contemporary solo dwellers in the US are primarily women: about 18 million, compared with 14 million men. The majority, more than 16 million, are middle-aged adults between the ages of 35 and 64. The elderly account for about 11 million of the total. Young adults between 18 and 34 number more than 5 million, compared with 500,000 in 1950, making them the fastest-growing segment of the solo-dwelling population. Unlike their predecessors, people who live alone today cluster together in metropolitan areas.

Sweden has more solo dwellers than anywhere else in the world, with 47% of households having one resident; followed by Norway at 40%. In Scandinavian countries their welfare states protect most citizens from the more difficult aspects of living alone. In Japan, where social life has historically been organised around the family, about 30% of all households have a single dweller, and the rate is far higher in urban areas. The Netherlands and Germany share a greater proportion of one-person households than the UK. And the nations with the fastest growth in one-person households? China, India and Brazil.
But despite the worldwide prevalence, living alone isn't really discussed, or understood. We aspire to get our own places as young adults, but fret about whether it's all right to stay that way, even if we enjoy it. We worry about friends and family members who haven't found the right match, even if they insist that they're OK on their own. We struggle to support elderly parents and grandparents who find themselves living alone after losing a spouse, but we are puzzled if they tell us they prefer to remain alone.

In all of these situations, living alone is something that each person, or family, experiences as the most private of matters, when in fact it is an increasingly common condition.

When there is a public debate about the rise of living alone, commentators present it as a sign of fragmentation. In fact, the reality of this great social experiment is far more interesting – and far less isolating – than these conversations would have us believe. The rise of living alone has been a transformative social experience. It changes the way we understand ourselves and our most intimate relationships. It shapes the way we build our cities and develop our economies.

So what is driving it? The wealth generated by economic development and the social security provided by modern welfare states have enabled the spike. One reason that more people live alone than ever before is that they can afford to. Yet there are a great many things that we can afford to do but choose not to, which means the economic explanation is just one piece of the puzzle.

In addition to economic prosperity, the rise stems from the cultural change that Émile Durkheim, a founding figure in sociology in the late 19th century, called the cult of the individual. According to Durkheim, this cult grew out of the transition from traditional rural communities to modern industrial cities. Now the cult of the individual has intensified far beyond what Durkheim envisioned. Not long ago, someone who was dissatisfied with their spouse and wanted a divorce had to justify that decision. Today if someone is not fulfilled by their marriage, they have to justify staying in it, because there is cultural pressure to be good to one's self.
Another driving force is the communications revolution, which has allowed people to experience the pleasures of social life even when they're living alone. And people are living longer than ever before – or, more specifically, because women often outlive their spouses by decades, rather than years – and so ageing alone has become an increasingly common experience.

Although each person who develops the capacity to live alone finds it an intensely personal experience, my research suggests that some elements are widely shared. Today, young solitaires actively reframe living alone as a mark of distinction and success. They use it as a way to invest time in their personal and professional growth. Such investments in the self are necessary, they say, because contemporary families are fragile, as are most jobs, and in the end each of us must be able to depend on ourselves. On the one hand, strengthening the self means undertaking solitary projects and learning to enjoy one's own company. But on the other it means making great efforts to be social: building up a strong network of friends and work contacts.

Living alone and being alone are hardly the same, yet the two are routinely conflated. In fact, there's little evidence that the rise of living alone is responsible for making us lonely. Research shows that it's the quality, not the quantity of social interactions that best predicts loneliness. What matters is not whether we live alone, but whether we feel alone. There's ample support for this conclusion outside the laboratory. As divorced or separated people often say, there's nothing lonelier than living with the wrong person.

There is also good evidence that people who never marry are no less content than those who do. According to research, they are significantly happier and less lonely than people who are widowed or divorced.

In theory, the rise of living alone could lead to any number of outcomes, from the decline of community to a more socially active citizenry, from rampant isolation to a more robust public life. I began my exploration of singleton societies with an eye for their most dangerous and disturbing features, including selfishness, loneliness and the horrors of getting sick or dying alone. I found some measure of all of these things. On balance, however, I came away convinced that the problems related to living alone should not define the condition, because the great majority of those who go solo have a more rich and varied experience.
Sometimes they feel lonely, anxious and uncertain about whether they would be happier in another arrangement. But so do those who are married or live with others. The rise of living alone has produced significant social benefits, too. Young and middle-aged solos have helped to revitalise cities, because they are more likely to spend money, socialise and participate in public life.

Despite fears that living alone may be environmentally unsustainable, solos tend to live in apartments rather than in big houses, and in relatively green cities rather than in car-dependent suburbs. There's good reason to believe that people who live alone in cities consume less energy than if they coupled up and decamped to pursue a single-family home.

Ultimately, it's too early to say how any particular society will respond to either the problems or the opportunities generated by this extraordinary social transformation. After all, our experiment with living alone is still in its earliest stages, and we are just beginning to understand how it affects our own lives, as well as those of our families, communities and cities.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...f-solo-living?

GuestFellow
04-01-2012, 09:34 PM
^ Salaam,

Woah I'm not reading that. Think I'm going to vomit. I read too much anyway.

Alpha Dude
04-01-2012, 09:35 PM
That's tragic.

GuestFellow
04-01-2012, 09:36 PM
^ No seriously, I think I was about to vomit. I felt disgusted looking at that. +o(

Alpha Dude
04-01-2012, 09:39 PM
I'm glad to know my post disgusted you. ^o)

Snowflake
04-01-2012, 11:06 PM
^LOL@last few posts

I live with my son but he's at school from 8am -7pm and at his dad's most weekends, so it's almost like living alone and I love it. Being alone is scary when he's away though, but ayatul kursi takes care of that. I like staying at my mum's for the odd night, but if I can't get a lift back home when I want, I get really agitated and want to scream. A friend invited me for a sleepover once, and I left a friend's version of a 'Dear John' on the pillow and did a runner before she woke up in the morning lol. I think I've got used to being alone and need my own space and time.

It's actually not a good thing as being alone so much has made me an unsociable person. I only like company for a short time. I've also noticed that I get more waswas when I'm alone. So it's easy to understand why living alone can lead to depression, especially among people who don't have Islam in their lives. Islam doesn't recommend living alone either.

cOsMiCiNtUiTiOn
04-02-2012, 01:19 PM
I lived alone for 3 years after my divorce. I'm now back with mom, and the change of mood is like night and day. Hard times are much more bearable when u have a crowd. My lil bro is always with me now, and my daughter spends loads of time with grandma, there's always things to do and mouths to feed so, no boredom really. I wouldn't opt to living alone again, that's for sure. :)

- cOsMiC

Samiun
04-02-2012, 01:47 PM
:sl: is living alone considered as isolation?

Well w/e the case may be, I think we should contemplate and be thankful."Remember the favors of Allah upon you and how they surround you from above and below - indeed, from every direction." "And if you would count the graces of Allah, never could you be able to count them". (Quran 14:34). "health, safety, nourishment, clothing, air and water - these all point to the world being yours, yet you do not realize it. You possess all that life has to offer, yet you remain ignorant". You have at your disposal two eyes, a tongue, lips, two hands and two legs. Can you picture yourself walking without feet? Should you take it lightly that you slumber while misery hinders the sleep of many? Reflect upon your family, your friends, and the entire world that is around you" "They recognize the grace of Allah, yet they deny it" (Quran 16:83) - excerpt from "don't be sad" pg. 35

Who Am I?
04-02-2012, 06:49 PM
I am the only one who is allowed to do the "TL - DR" posts. I started that. Nobody else can do it. :heated:

Copycats...

Haya emaan
04-03-2012, 08:22 AM
if i had to be living alone... i will die of depression.. will had to do all my work myself..?? alone??no mom and sis to help there! no one to spoil my work..!! and then obviously no fights with siblings... that loneliness would kill me..:exhausted

FS123
04-03-2012, 12:05 PM
That is the reason there is so much emphasis on community in Islam. Praying salat in jamaat also helps to certain extent.

~Zaria~
06-07-2013, 07:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
People of working age who live alone increase their risk of depression by up to 80% compared with people living in families, says a Finnish study.

:salam:

I'm not sure how I found this thread, but I think I was meant to.....

Ive been living alone for the past 6 months.

Initially, it seemed like the best thing ever - I enjoyed furnishing the place and creating the type of environment that I thought would give me peace and a chance to spend more time in ibaadat and other beneficial activities.

Now, that 'novelty' has worn away.....and I am left with a feeling of isolation and loneliness :cry:
I now understand why this can often result in depression, as mentioned in the OP.

I think the way of life of a disbeliever, that permits one to socialize, go out and have aimless 'fun' at clubs/ parties/ movies/ theatres, etc - possibly wards this off (at least for a while).

For the believer, who has removed himself from much of society's 'normal' way of life (as much as possible) - and lives alone - it can become incredibly challenging to keep motivated.
The isolation, both in real terms and in terms of being a 'stranger' to the ways of the world is something that I honestly did not foresee imsad

To be honest, Im not really sure how to get myself out of this....
Ive really been considering emigrating (in shaa Allah, to KSA) (if my family would allow this, in shaa Allah).
But now, Im wondering if Im possibly trying to find an escape.....
Is it possible that the initial 'high' of living close to/ in the holy cities will also eventually wear away?......to result in me feeling even more isolated, living on my own, in a foreign land.
Or.... is this the change I actually need? : (

For those who live alone:
How do you ward off these feelings of loneliness and isolation?

For those who have moved (alone) to KSA:
What has it been like for you?

Will really appreciate any responses imsad

JazakAllahu khair

Ramadan90
06-07-2013, 07:26 PM
^ Sorry for what you are going through sister. I have some advice:

1. Get to know some good muslim/s sister/s that you can befriend. You can do that by attending classes or any local muslims events.

2. Keep yourself busy with goals that are important to you. As muslims our purpose is to worship our creator so he can forgive us, set goals that makes you a better muslim. And set worldly goals as well, but dont forget the ultimate focus(akhira). This will keep you very happy and satisfied. To work towards something meaningful.

3. Excercise, eat well, sleep well and wake up early.

Muhaba
06-07-2013, 07:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ~Zaria~
:salam:

I'm not sure how I found this thread, but I think I was meant to.....

Ive been living alone for the past 6 months.

Initially, it seemed like the best thing ever - I enjoyed furnishing the place and creating the type of environment that I thought would give me peace and a chance to spend more time in ibaadat and other beneficial activities.

Now, that 'novelty' has worn away.....and I am left with a feeling of isolation and loneliness :cry:
I now understand why this can often result in depression, as mentioned in the OP.

I think the way of life of a disbeliever, that permits one to socialize, go out and have aimless 'fun' at clubs/ parties/ movies/ theatres, etc - possibly wards this off (at least for a while).

For the believer, who has removed himself from much of society's 'normal' way of life (as much as possible) - and lives alone - it can become incredibly challenging to keep motivated.
The isolation, both in real terms and in terms of being a 'stranger' to the ways of the world is something that I honestly did not foresee imsad

To be honest, Im not really sure how to get myself out of this....
Ive really been considering emigrating (in shaa Allah, to KSA) (if my family would allow this, in shaa Allah).
But now, Im wondering if Im possibly trying to find an escape.....
Is it possible that the initial 'high' of living close to/ in the holy cities will also eventually wear away?......to result in me feeling even more isolated, living on my own, in a foreign land.
Or.... is this the change I actually need? : (

For those who live alone:
How do you ward off these feelings of loneliness and isolation?

For those who have moved (alone) to KSA:
What has it been like for you?

Will really appreciate any responses imsad

JazakAllahu khair
Living alone sucks. humans were made to live in communities and close to extended families that provided a sense of belonging and support. unfortunately the modern world system has caused mankind to become isolated from not only family but community as well. Now people minimally interact with neighbors when in the past neighbors were as close to each other as family.

The kufr system doesn't help with their clubbing and partying outlets as that doesn't provide any fulfillment. People turn to those to escape their sadness, loneliness, depression but end up getting worse because the only thing it does is to push the problem aside instead of solving it. Once they return to their normal life, the problem hits them full force or lies untended in their subconscious causing havoc to their minds.

For someone who is forced to live in such a system, it's best to maintain contact with family and friends, find good friends close to where they live and meet-up regularly. If you can find an Islamic center, go their and see if you can meet with other sisters and make friends, go to get-togethers, visit each other's homes, etc. If you have any Muslim neighbors try to befriend them and get-together often. If there are possibilities of doing social work or volunteering at an Islamic school, Islamic Center, Mosque, etc then do that. If your Islamic Center provides courses, then consider taking them. You can meet with other Muslims there and that should make you feel better somewhat. But nothing can replace family contact, so do speak to them and meet them as much as you can.

Going to a Muslim country will help somewhat because you can meet other Muslims in Mosques and may be able to join Islamic or Arabic courses that will fill up your time and allow interaction with others. But you'll be away from family even more. If you do decide to move to a Muslim country then it would be best to get housing with other Muslim sisters (in sharing accommodation or Student housing). This way you won't be totally alone.

~Zaria~
06-07-2013, 08:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Allah<3
^ Sorry for what you are going through sister. I have some advice:

1. Get to know some good muslim/s sister/s that you can befriend. You can do that by attending classes or any local muslims events.

2. Keep yourself busy with goals that are important to you. As muslims our purpose is to worship our creator so he can forgive us, set goals that makes you a better muslim. And set worldly goals as well, but dont forget the ultimate focus(akhira). This will keep you very happy and satisfied. To work towards something meaningful.

:jz: for the response akhi,

I do have such friends, some who are closer than others. Those who are married/ with kids generally have many other family commitments as well.

^ I started out with this mind-set initially.
I think Ive burnt out.....lost drive and motivation.
When you are on your own, its not as easy to keep this pace going indefinitely.
I think at some point, the isolation gets the upper hand and weakens the spirit : (

At present I may be sleeping too much : (
When you are on your own, and esp in cold weather (we are now entering winter), one tends to head to bed earlier.
And this is also said to 'harden' ones heart : (
I think this is definitely something I need to cut back on....

JazakAllahu khair

~Zaria~
06-07-2013, 08:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by WRITER

For someone who is forced to live in such a system, it's best to maintain contact with family and friends, find good friends close to where they live and meet-up regularly. If you can find an Islamic center, go their and see if you can meet with other sisters and make friends, go to get-togethers, visit each other's homes, etc. If you have any Muslim neighbors try to befriend them and get-together often. If there are possibilities of doing social work or volunteering at an Islamic school, Islamic Center, Mosque, etc then do that. If your Islamic Center provides courses, then consider taking them. You can meet with other Muslims there and that should make you feel better somewhat. But nothing can replace family contact, so do speak to them and meet them as much as you can.
:jz: sister,

Alhamdulillah, I am involved in a few social groups, and I am in contact with others on a daily basis.
However, when all is said and done, one still has to head back to an empty home.....
I think the actual 'living on ones own' is tougher than I had initially thought it would be..... : (

Ramadan90
06-08-2013, 11:33 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ~Zaria~
:jz: for the response akhi,

I do have such friends, some who are closer than others. Those who are married/ with kids generally have many other family commitments as well.

^ I started out with this mind-set initially.
I think Ive burnt out.....lost drive and motivation.
When you are on your own, its not as easy to keep this pace going indefinitely.
I think at some point, the isolation gets the upper hand and weakens the spirit : (

At present I may be sleeping too much : (
When you are on your own, and esp in cold weather (we are now entering winter), one tends to head to bed earlier.
And this is also said to 'harden' ones heart : (
I think this is definitely something I need to cut back on....

JazakAllahu khair
Going to sleep early hardens the heart? Interesting, never heard of it.

Sister, are you married and where is your family? Find ways to befriend some muslim sisters that dont have family commitments. Go to mosques or islamic centers.

Living alone is not healthy for us human beings. Some people are more comfortable to be alone and others are not but no one can be alone ALL THE TIME.

I will make dua that Allah make it easier for you.

~Zaria~
06-08-2013, 05:56 PM
Going to sleep early hardens the heart? Interesting, never heard of it.

I meant sleeping too much hardens the heart...

"Another cause of weak faith and hard-heartedness is eating too much, sleeping too much, staying up too late, talking too much and mixing with people too much. Eating too much makes the brain slow and the body heavy, which prevents a person from worshipping Allaah and makes it easy for Shaytaan to tempt him, as it was said: “Whoever eats too much, drinks too much and sleeps too much, loses a great reward.”

Al-Fudhail ibn Iyaadh said: “There are two qualities that harden the heart: sleeping too much and eating too much.”

Living alone is not healthy for us human beings.
Very true ;(

:jz:

introspective
06-09-2013, 01:56 AM
I think some people are able to thrive better alone. I actually prefer to be alone. But one has to be really careful so that their mind doesn't wander off to....unscrupulous thoughts. If you are good at being productive, then you should not feel lonely. In fact, why should you feel lonely if Allah and his angels are watching over you?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!