/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Parents

Sumaiya54
03-30-2012, 01:39 AM
Asalaamu Aleikum,

I just told my parents about me converting to Islam and they told me that I should wait until college to convert, which is about 5 years away. I really dont want to wait that long, but I dont think my parents are ever going to take me seriously. My mom told me that I could take some classes, but she "wants me to consider Judaism and Christianity" even though she and my father aren't practicing either of their religions.

What should I do?

Waaleikum asalaam

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
marwen
03-30-2012, 08:02 AM
:sl:
Do not delay your conversion my dear sister. From the response of your parents above, I guess they are good persons, may Allah guide them and protect them. I don't think they prevent you from doing something you are totally convinced of, if you know how to show them that you think Islam is the right religion for you, as long as you keep calm and kind with your parents. You can show them that after conversion you become more strong and successful and more self confident.

Now if you give me guaranties that you will live until you complete college, then do it, wait until that time to convert. But dear sister, it's obvious that death can come to any of us at anytime. If we know Allah, and we know the right path, how can we delay.

My humble advice to you is to convert now and just do shahada, then start slowly learning about islam and prayer, and then try to practice slowly until you become a good practicing muslimah. But don't delay to begin now.

I guess all the brothers and sisters here will tell you that, but I will let you get more posts and benefit from our enlightened brohers and sisters here.

Now let me share with you this beautiful and touching nasheed and reminder. It always helped me to remember death every time I feel lazy or away from Allah.

Keep in mind that all your brothers and sisters here want good for you and for any muslims, and want you to be safe from hell after death. No personal benefits or interests between muslims, we help each other for the sake of Allah. And we will help you if you have any question or need any resources of knowledge.

Who Am I?
03-30-2012, 03:19 PM
Convert, but don't tell them. Why do they need to know anyway?

It works for me... ;D

Sumaiya54
05-20-2012, 10:29 PM
Good idea haha

Salaam :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
dqsunday
05-21-2012, 02:21 AM
I would feel them out more to see if they will freak if you do convert. Otherwise, converting to Islam and then trying to hide it, is not easy and can be stressful especially if you are living with your parents. It isn't easy for us Sisters in Islam to hide our conversion..having to wear hijab etc. It stresses me horribly trying to slip out of the house and putting on my hijab in my car before driving to the Masjid. I am still too weak to wear it openly when out and about during the times I am not going to the Masjid. But I am dressing far more modestly, its just covering my hair.

Hulk
05-21-2012, 04:56 AM
If you think that you might face serious problems at home if you make your conversion public then just keep it private for the time being. The only thing that really matters is that God knows what is in your heart :statisfie.

When I was serving in a regimental camp I met a caucasian(maybe european?) dude, there were some whispers about him being muslim but I never gave much notice of it as I don't like to get involved with rumours.

Usually we would all have lunch together in the canteen in a big group but there was one time when I had a late lunch and so did he. So it was just the two of us and we started talking about life. Before I knew it he was talking about the Quran, it felt like he was preaching to me! SubhanAllah, from that day onwards it was clear that he was muslim and there were times when we prayed together.

He also kept his conversion quiet at home for a while until it became quite obvious to his mum because of the prayer mats etc. :statisfie

glo
05-21-2012, 06:48 PM
As a non-Muslim mother I agree with dqsunday.
Your parents sound quite reasonable. I mean they haven't freaked out or forbidden you to explore Islam.

Keeping a secret from your parents will strain your relationship with them ... and chances are your parents will know that something is going on (parents have this sixth sense lol) and could become suspicious of your intention and of Islam.

If at all possible, try to be honest with your parents. I am sure that they love you and want what's best for you.

SBK786
07-26-2012, 01:26 PM
Allah SWT knows about what you really want. He SWT knows you more than you know yourself..

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!