/* */

PDA

View Full Version : US Soldier dies saving young Afghan girl.

onetwo
03-30-2012, 08:59 AM
After the news of a U.S. soldier charged with murdering Afghan civilians, mostly women and children, the story of Spc. Dennis Weichel of the Rhode Island National Guard bears telling.
The official Pentagon news release says he died "from injuries suffered in a noncombat related incident." But there is much more to the story. Weichel, 29, of Providence, died saving the life of a little girl.

According to the Rhode Island National Guard and the U.S. Army, Weichel was in a convoy a week ago with his unit in Laghman Province, in northeast Afghanistan. Some children were in the road in front of the convoy, and Weichel and other troops got out to move them out of the way.
Most of the children moved, but one little girl went back to pick up some brass shell casings in the road. Afghan civilians often recycle the casings, and the girl appeared to aim to do that. But a Mine-Resistant Ambush-Protected vehicle was moving toward her, according to Lt. Col. Denis Riel of the Rhode Island National Guard.

MRAPs, as they are known, usually weigh more than 16 tons.

Weichel saw the massive truck bearing down on the girl and grabbed her out of the way. But in the process, the armored truck ran him over, Riel said.
The little girl is fine. Weichel died a short time later of his injuries.

"He was a big kid at heart. He always had a smile on his face, and he made everyone laugh," 1st Sgt. Nicky Peppe, who served with Weichel in Iraq, is quoted as saying in an Army story.

"But as much as Weichel was funny, he was also a professional. When it was time to go outside the wire for a combat patrol, he was all business."
Rhode Island Gov. Lincoln Chafee has ordered flags in the state lowered to half-staff until Weichel, who was posthumously promoted to sergeant, is laid to rest Monday.

Weichel is survived by his parents, his fiancee and three children. His family will be awarded a Bronze Star and other awards for his sacrifice.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
GuestFellow
03-30-2012, 07:03 PM
Salaam,

That was so brave of him. This is what soldiers are supposed to be doing. Saving people. Sad that he died.

M.I.A.
03-30-2012, 07:11 PM
if every soldier was a humanitarian. then wars would become peace a lot sooner.

changing hearts and minds..

most say one thing and do another.

may allah swt have mercy on all those that sacrifice. seriously.. a parent would think such things firstly.

CosmicPathos
03-30-2012, 07:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by M.I.A.
if every soldier was a humanitarian. then wars would become peace a lot sooner.

changing hearts and minds..

most say one thing and do another.

may allah swt have mercy on all those that sacrifice. seriously.. a parent would think such things firstly.
and then no one woudl get the chance to be from the shuhaada. You really think Allah swt would put an end to the opportunity of embracing shaahadat?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Hulk
03-30-2012, 07:45 PM
I do not doubt that there are righteous people among soldiers but the sad truth is that in a lot of armies the soldiers are mindless idiots who sadly most of the time their idea of fun is something that is at the expense of others. I believe this because I have been in that shoe and I have been surrounded by these idiots. I'm glad my time is over. I also learnt that the "leaders", the senior officers are most of the time just thinking about covering their butts or impressing their seniors so that they get promoted. Sad truth but as I said among them are a few who truly deserve to be called soldiers.

GuestFellow
03-30-2012, 07:47 PM
^ Some of them join to have a job.

M.I.A.
03-30-2012, 07:53 PM
a day will come when one's hands, skin, tongue among other things... speak for themselves.

i can expand if you like.. but i would not bring any happiness to you if i did.

that is the mercy of allah swt, that all eyes are opened on different days.. each to his own and each to his own end.

edit(i dont like what is implied by that sentence, i have no power of imbuing knowledge.. but i could explain how it works in my eyes and its not nice)

the message has always been here, read it again until you understand.. maybe one day the veil is lifted.. do not hasten towards it.

about shahadat.

a mans end may be sudden or prolonged.

but each word has been heard.. not by our ears.

..edit again, i know a lot of people will find my post patronising, i would hope so.. i expect more from you.. if you found it threatening it was not meant to be, it was intended as a warning originally.

aadil77
03-30-2012, 08:17 PM
thats good of him, but if there'd been no invasion no will have had to die

جوري
03-30-2012, 08:41 PM
A mysterious one post stranger comes and tells us of the lone good soldier in light of 16 cvillians who recently got killed .. Sorry but I ain't buying the save face PR.

TrueStranger
03-30-2012, 09:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by لميس
A mysterious one post stranger comes and tells us of the lone good soldier in light of 16 cvillians who recently got killed .. Sorry but I ain't buying the save face PR.
They are trying really hard to save face.

جوري
03-30-2012, 09:14 PM
I hate their brazen arrogance you know.. the headlines first read of how the U.S is giving money to the 'alleged victims' like their crappy blood money is equivalent to one human life lost.. And if that doesn't work then they'll tell you of one selfless immolating soldier..

ugh.. I am so sick of the world walhi.. not sure where one can migrate to be at peace with sincere people away from all this strife.

TrueStranger
03-30-2012, 09:26 PM
The world's problems appear to be so numerous and endless. We hear about human tragedy every single day all thanks to the internet and cable news. No human being should be expected to digest such horrendous events all at once.

جوري
03-30-2012, 09:31 PM
You'd think one would become accustomed by now.. but it is so emotionally jarring.. I can't even get a decent night sleep with or without medications walhi.. yesterday I had a dream about Syria and Asad pointing to people to kill them.. one wakes up with the same heavy heart that one sleeps with and the Muslims on here aren't doing much to cheer one up either.. even when you try to muster some hope it is always nipped in the bud :(

'Abd-al Latif
03-30-2012, 09:37 PM
Do you have a source for this article?

جوري
03-30-2012, 09:42 PM
it is on the HP I don't feel like googling it myself but it was the first thing you saw signing into AOL yesterday.. just like today the first thing you see is OBL eating ladoos while watching VHS on his 1980 state of the art RCA TV because where else but the U.S can a tall athletic Arabic man end up a ladoo eating chubby Asian with a glued on beard while his wife confesses in a 'tell all' of his life on the 'run' They live sycophants with a superiority complex and wish to have that be the way of the world..

GuestFellow
03-30-2012, 10:50 PM
Salaam,

format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd-al Latif
Do you have a source for this article?
I think he was unable to post the link since he was a new member. I think this is the source:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...rmy-truck.html

You'd think one would become accustomed by now.. but it is so emotionally jarring.. I can't even get a decent night sleep with or without medications walhi.. yesterday I had a dream about Syria and Asad pointing to people to kill them.. one wakes up with the same heavy heart that one sleeps with and the Muslims on here aren't doing much to cheer one up either.. even when you try to muster some hope it is always nipped in the bud :(
I think it is best avoid watching negative news for some time. It is making you upset and does not sound healthy when you cannot get a good night sleep.

aadil77
03-31-2012, 03:08 PM
Sis its good to know that atleast some muslims feel pain for their fellow brothers and sisters, many will go on with life with their ears closed and pretend nothings happening

Reminds me of this hadith:

I heard the Messenger of Allah (saws) as saying: ‘He who amongst you sees something abominable should modify it with the help of his hand; and if he has not strength enough to do that, then he should do it with his tongue; and if he has not strength enough to do even that, then he should (at least abhor it) from his heart; and that is the least of faith.” Sahih Muslim Hadith 79 Narrated by Abu Sa'id al-Khudri

Insha'Allah you'll be rewarded for your concern of the ummah

جوري
03-31-2012, 06:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
Insha'Allah you'll be rewarded for your concern of the ummah
And you insha'Allah.. but it isn't a concern when we're in the through of it, I mean who isn't touched by this? It is happening to us we're the ummah.. and if not happening to us it is a matter of time before it does..:(

GodIsAll
04-02-2012, 01:35 PM
And you insha'Allah.. but it isn't a concern when we're in the through of it, I mean who isn't touched by this? It is happening to us we're the ummah.. and if not happening to us it is a matter of time before it does..
I pray not.
The internet can be a powerful tool...one we must utilize.
As hard as it is for me to comprehend all of Middle Eastern culture, including Islam, I am trying to. That is why I am here.
In America, we are bombarded with documentaries like "The Third Jihad" and "Islam: What The West Needs To Know". I probably don't even need to elaborate on what we see through the media. While this portrays ignorance, it is what we see perpetually.

Boards like this are different. We see real peoples' perspective from all over the world. Here I have found a most wonderful community full of people that are trying to better understand other peoples' viewpoints and religious beliefs. With few exceptions, I see a group of people exhibiting love to all of mankind. There many Muslims here whom I admire, enjoy and respect for their intelligence and steadfast faith.

Please, please, please continue to do so. You can help make the difference. This is what our citizens need to see....truth. Bombard them with it! I will preach on my side of the ocean, of that you can be sure. Americans are already beginning to sway, protesting our foreign policies and the portrayal of Muslims in a negative light. Without question, you, through the media, are seeing the worst of our behavior as well. I beg us all not to generalize in viewing either aspect of culture and religion.

Things can change. I will be a beacon of tolerance and acceptance at every opportunity. I hope we all will.

In God's mercy and love,
J

Who Am I?
04-02-2012, 06:59 PM
:sl:

Believe me, some of us over here in the West are waking up to the lies. We may be few in number, but we are here...

GodIsAll
04-02-2012, 07:08 PM
I wholeheartedly agree.

The numbers are growing, too.

Pygoscelis
04-08-2012, 05:19 AM
Transcending tribalism, in this case nationalism, and seeing through your own media's bias is a rare gift, but I think more and more are getting there. As somebody once said "Tyrany will come to America holding a bible and wrapped in the American flag". People deserve our compassion, regardless of if they share our nationality, race, or religion (or lack thereof). The soldier in this story is one guy who got it right. Too many others would have seen her as "one of them" and not cared to attempt the rescue.

IslamicRevival
04-08-2012, 04:44 PM
If this is true then fair play but no sympathy vote from me.

The link below contains a video of the terrorist thugs Blackwater running over an Iraqi woman and shooting wildly into crowded areas. This is the reality of whats going on.
http://edition.presstv.ir/detail/234790.html

MustafaMc
04-08-2012, 05:12 PM
Whether or not this soldier did as was credited to him, it is still used as propaganda which is "a form of communication that is aimed at influencing the attitude of a community toward some cause or position". I do not doubt that there are moral and decent soldiers, but I do not believe they represent the majority. There have been an untold number of incidents like the recent killing in Afghanistan of 17 innocent civilians including 9 children. We do not know why this one massacre slipped through the media blackout or why this one incident of apparent humanity is being broadcast, but I remind you of a saying by Benjamin Franklin, “Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.”

karimium
04-08-2012, 10:52 PM
makew no mistake this is an exceptional scenario, and has been released in response to the earlier mass murder of Afghans.. this story may even be exxagerated/fabricated.

GuestFellow
04-08-2012, 11:14 PM
Salaam,

I doubt any of us will know which group is responsible for killing the civilians the most. You have the collation forces, military contractors, a few rogue individuals (foreigners/Afghans) and bandits/warlords/suicide bombers. The situation is confusing. There was already violence in Afghanistan before 2001. However, after Bush declared war on Afghanistan, the situation has gotten worse.

Pygoscelis
04-09-2012, 01:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Vision
If this is true then fair play but no sympathy vote from me.

The link below contains a video of the terrorist thugs Blackwater running over an Iraqi woman and shooting wildly into crowded areas. This is the reality of whats going on.
http://edition.presstv.ir/detail/234790.html
I'm not sure I follow what you mean by "no sympathy vote from me".

Do you mean that you don't applaud what this soldier did or feel bad for his death, because other soldiers have done horrible things? Or perhaps I am misreading you?

CosmicPathos
04-09-2012, 02:05 AM
He saved one girl's life but he worked for people who killed 10000 such girls.

UnitedStates#1
05-03-2012, 04:46 PM
The American soldier without doubt is the most bravest and humane soldier in the world. Minor incidents such as the rampage of the deaths of 16 Muslims shouldn't really sum up the entire American military. God bless the US soldier saving the girl.
There is a reason why we are the best country.

aamirsaab
05-04-2012, 07:58 PM
This thread started positive, then went negative. Kind reminder to all, please stay on topic or the thread will be locked, posts will be deleted and infractions will be handed out.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!