/* */

PDA

View Full Version : april fools

Marina-Aisha
04-01-2012, 02:14 PM
read this today thought it was quiet fitting as its april fools today

In some foreign countries – kaafir countries – there is the well-known custom of April Fool, which happens of the first day of April. Some Muslims are imitating them in this, thinking that it is permissible to tell lies on this day… what is your opinion on this belief and on this custom?

Praise be to Allaah.
Lying is not permissible at all, at any time. And it is not permissible to imitate the kuffaar and to be like them, on this day or on any other, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever imitates a people is one of them.”

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Darth Ultor
04-01-2012, 02:35 PM
Attachment 4753

Jokes are not lies. I don't think it says anywhere in the Quran not to joke or have fun in a halal way.

Marina-Aisha
04-01-2012, 02:40 PM
and u also missed this in my post "not permissible to imitate the kuffaar"

Darth Ultor
04-01-2012, 03:10 PM
It doesn't have any religious connotations. It's just a day for fun and pranks. If a non-Muslim can be invited to celebrate one of the Eids a Muslim can take part in a "holiday" that has no religion behind it whatsoever. There's no lack of moral within the day itself though some pranks played may be immoral.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Marina-Aisha
04-01-2012, 03:16 PM
well u can take or leave it..which i take it ur leaving it...to honest why would u want to takepart in this silly holiday?and eid is religious holiday that has deep meaning..not lying and playing jokes on people you know.

~Zaria~
04-01-2012, 03:22 PM
Attachment 4754

:wa:

Darth Ultor
04-01-2012, 03:24 PM
To be honest, I find April Fools to be quite dumb and should not be celebrated by anyone over 15. And I know the Eids have deep meaning to them. By the way, I asked this in another thread but I can't find it. If Muslim has Jewish or Christian friends, are they allowed to come for the holiday dinners if they don't participate in Jewish or Christian prayer and not touch any alcohol or pork (in the case of the Christians, no Jew would serve pork)?

Marina-Aisha
04-01-2012, 04:03 PM
i dont know but i can find out for you if you like

Darth Ultor
04-01-2012, 04:15 PM
Sure thing

ardianto
04-01-2012, 04:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Darth Ultor
If Muslim has Jewish or Christian friends, are they allowed to come for the holiday dinners if they don't participate in Jewish or Christian prayer and not touch any alcohol or pork (in the case of the Christians, no Jew would serve pork)?
I visited my Christian relatives and friends in Dec 26 and 27. In Dec 25 they did activities with their Christian communities. I ate in their homes.

GuestFellow
04-01-2012, 04:52 PM
The problem there are many things that non-Muslims do that Muslims do. If a non-Muslim were to play basketball, does that mean a Muslim cannot play basket ball? Is this imitating the kuffar? I doubt it. Playing basketball has nothing to do with being a Muslim or a non-Muslim, just about who is good at throwing a ball into a net.

I think jokes are fine, as long as they are not cruel.

If certain events distance Muslims from Islam, then we should not participate in it.

CosmicPathos
04-01-2012, 05:06 PM
tragic: you just got fooled.

comparing basketball with some cultural bull-crap joking day?

Muhammad
04-01-2012, 05:15 PM
:sl:

The imitation that is problematic is where a Muslim does something that is unique to the non-Muslims or involves celebrating any of their festivals... some more information:
http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/21694

And as sister Zaria mentioned above, lying to make people laugh is not allowed in Islam:

Wa ‘alaykum al-salaam wa rahmat-Allaahi wa barakaatuhu.

There is no harm in joking by words and anecdotes, if they are truthful and real, especially if it is not done often. The Prophet (peace be upon him) used to joke but he would only speak the truth. If it is with lying, then it is not allowed. The Prophet (peace be upon him) said, "Woe to the one who speaks and tells a lie in order to make the people laugh at it. Woe to him. Then again, woe to him." This was recorded by Abu Dawud, al-Tirmidhi and al-Nasai with a good chain.

Shaikh ibn Baz
http://islamqa.info/en/ref/4893

2 – The jokes should only be truthful.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Woe to the one who tells lies to make people laugh, woe to him.” (Narrated by Abu Dawood).

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, warning against this kind of behaviour which some jokers are accustomed to: “A man may say something to make his companions laugh, and he will fall into Hell as far as the Pleiades because of it.” (Narrated by Ahmad).

3 – Not scaring people

Especially those who are very energetic or strong, or who are holding a weapon or a piece of iron, or who take advantage of the darkness and people’s weakness to use that as a means of scaring and alarming them. It was narrated that Abu Layla said: “The companions of Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said that they were travelling with the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), and a man among them fell asleep. Some of them got a rope and tied him up, and he got scared. The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: ‘It is not permissible for a Muslim to frighten another Muslim.’” (Narrated by Abu Dawood).
http://islamqa.info/en/ref/22170/

ardianto
04-01-2012, 05:38 PM
Indonesian people love joke and prank. But Indonesian people do not follow April Fool because prank like this is unacceptable in my culture.

The difference between Indonesian comedians and Indonesian politicians:
Indonesian comedians make people smile, Indonesian politician make people laugh.

format_quote Originally Posted by Muhammad
lying to make people laugh is not allowed in Islam:
If Indonesian politicians never lie, they would never make people laugh.

Endymion
04-01-2012, 05:55 PM
The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: I guarantee a house in the surroundings of Paradise for a man who avoids quarrelling even if he were in the right,a house in the middle of Paradise for a man who avoids lying even if he were joking, and a house in the upper part of Paradise for a man who made his character good. (Abu Dawud Book 41, Hadith 4782)

GuestFellow
04-01-2012, 05:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by CosmicPathos
tragic: you just got fooled.
How tragic.

comparing basketball with some cultural bull-crap joking day?
It was the example I could think of. The overall principle I'm advocating is that people can participate in events as long as it is not contrary to Islamic teaching. Telling a joke is permissible as long as it is not rude or involves a lie.

Besides, I find throwing a ball into a net as stupid as Aprils fools day, along with most sports that involves chasing after a ball like some dog.

CosmicPathos
04-01-2012, 08:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tragic Typos
How tragic.

It was the example I could think of. The overall principle I'm advocating is that people can participate in events as long as it is not contrary to Islamic teaching. Telling a joke is permissible as long as it is not rude or involves a lie.

Besides, I find throwing a ball into a net as stupid as Aprils fools day, along with most sports that involves chasing after a ball like some dog.
that's cuz you cant dunk. the man simply cant dunk.

GuestFellow
04-01-2012, 09:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by CosmicPathos
that's cuz you cant dunk. the man simply cant dunk.
Salaam,

I'm not good at sports that involves a ball. I find it boring and pointless. I might as well throw pebbles in a bucket or chuck paper in a bin.

I prefer sports like swimming, horse riding and boxing. I like target practice and jogging but I'm not sure if that is considered a sport.

Abz2000
04-01-2012, 09:43 PM
it's the beginning of the new tax year, the government calls everyone fools and laughs while drinking a toast.
and the people get to forget about it and drown their depression in manufactured laughter while mercenary companies get £1000 per day per mercenary for hoax wars,
as they say: laughter is the best medicine for depression.
April fools day indeed.

real islam
04-03-2012, 05:22 AM
The day of sorrows to the Muslims.A long history of Spain.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!