/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Fulfill your needs by being secretive- A sunnah

TrueStranger
04-07-2012, 05:38 AM
Salaam Aliakum,

Few days ago I came upon a talk on TedTalks, and the speaker Derek Sivers was arguing that talking about your goals to someone else would reduce the probability of you actually doing it. To be more frank, he stated that "Repeated psychology tests have proven that telling someone your goal makes it less likely to happen.” I didn't thought much of it until I heard Mufti Menk mention a hadith which stated "Help yourself in fulfilling your needs by being secretive about them." (Tabraani) And he goes into more detail about it in the video below. But, Subhan"Allah, "modern" scholars continue to state what the Beloved of God (PBUH) has stated 1400 years ago. You could start Mufti Menk's video around 2 mins into the video, or listen to the whole lecture, which is probably more beneficial.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
aadil77
04-07-2012, 06:50 AM
:sl:

This is true, i've learnt not to tell anyone anything until its actually done and over with, saves you the embarassment as well if you end up failing.

JazakhAllah khair

Snowflake
04-07-2012, 07:04 AM
Subhan Allah. That is so so true. I've experienced firsthand the obstacles that came my way after my smoothly going projects suddenly ground to a halt after I shared my plans with people I knew. Bi idhnillah, sometimes I can tell immediately that I shouldn't have told someone something, because this horrible sense of loss and doom come over me as soon as the words have left my mouth. I've learnt my lesson and now don't tell anyone what I'm doing. Jealousy destroys.

TrueStranger
04-07-2012, 06:39 PM
Sorry folks, I posted Mufti Menk's video twice. :hiding:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Cabdullahi
04-07-2012, 06:41 PM
I didnt know about this, i think i need to do this more often.

JazakiAllah khair

Ramadan90
04-07-2012, 08:12 PM
Why would you share your personal things(yes, even goals) with anyone? Goals are something you should keep to yourself, because people will sadly discourage you. What is also important is to not seek motivation through other people, that is a recepie for failure. It will not last for a long time.

TrueStranger
04-08-2012, 02:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Allah<3
Why would you share your personal things(yes, even goals) with anyone? Goals are something you should keep to yourself, because people will sadly discourage you. What is also important is to not seek motivation through other people, that is a recepie for failure. It will not last for a long time.
I don't know why some people are more open to proclaim their goals than others, but at least now we know that it's sunnah to keep them to yourself. Some people will encourage you and others will say its a crazy idea.

Ramadan90
04-08-2012, 09:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by TrueStranger
I don't know why some people are more open to proclaim their goals than others, but at least now we know that it's sunnah to keep them to yourself. Some people will encourage you and others will say its a crazy idea.
Alhamdulilah. Thank god that I am the person who keeps things to myself, otherwise I wouldnt be were I am today. People are very discouraging to be honest, I wish it was the other way but it is what it is. Thanks for the post btw sister. :)

Snowflake
04-09-2012, 11:30 AM
It is authentically narrated that the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم) said:

إذا رأى أحدكم من نفسه أو ماله أو من أخيه ما يعجبه فليدع له بالبركة فٍان العين حق

“Whoever among you sees something in himself or in his possessions or in his brother that he likes, let him pray for blessing for it, because the evil eye is real.”
[Sahih according to al-Albaani]

Scimitar
04-09-2012, 11:41 PM
For realz

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!