/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What do you think "natural born American citizen" means

Darth Ultor
04-07-2012, 01:15 PM
Not sure if this has been done before. One of the requirements to be a Presidential candidate here is a very broad term in the Constitution that says they must be natural born American citizens. This year, I discovered that the states apparently define this term according to their own laws. In one state (forgot which), a judge actually considered not putting Obama on the ballot because his father was Kenyan. Try figuring that third to last poll option out and make sense of it. Obama was born in Hawaii to a very American mother. When I last looked, Hawaii was a US state by 1961 and had been US territory for decades before.

I'm stuck between options one and two. If both parents currently bear American citizenship, regardless of whether they were born here or not, their kids should be considered "natural born". I think I'll go with option 1 just for convenience purposes for the candidates. To show that all their documentation is from the US.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ardianto
04-07-2012, 03:35 PM
Which policy that used to determine US citizenship for new born baby? Jus Soli, or Jus Sanguinis.

Jus Soli = is a right by which nationality or citizenship can be recognized to any individual born in the territory of the related state.

Jus Sanguinis = is a social policy by which citizenship is not determined by place of birth but by having one or both parent who are citizens of the nation.

Who Am I?
04-07-2012, 09:32 PM
I've always thought it to mean anyone who was born on US soil to parents who were US citizens.

Being born in the USA should not automatically make you a citizen if your parents are not citizens.

GuestFellow
04-07-2012, 09:37 PM
Salaam,

I think people who want to stay in a country permanently should be allowed to become citizens. :) Don't know why some people dislike immigrants becoming citizens.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Snowflake
04-07-2012, 09:38 PM
What do you think "natural born American citizen" means

an american citizen who had a normal birth :x

GuestFellow
04-07-2012, 09:41 PM
^ Salaam,

What she said. :)

Who Am I?
04-09-2012, 07:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tragic Typos
Salaam,

I think people who want to stay in a country permanently should be allowed to become citizens. :) Don't know why some people dislike immigrants becoming citizens.
It's not immigration that most people have a problem with. It's ILLEGAL immigration that people get upset about. The (mainly Mexican) immigrants that sneak across the border undocumented are the ones most people dislike. The perception in the media and society at large is that they are cheating the system by collecting welfare benefits and not contributing anything to society by having a job and earning a living.

GuestFellow
04-09-2012, 11:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Who Am I?
It's not immigration that most people have a problem with. It's ILLEGAL immigration that people get upset about. The (mainly Mexican) immigrants that sneak across the border undocumented are the ones most people dislike. The perception in the media and society at large is that they are cheating the system by collecting welfare benefits and not contributing anything to society by having a job and earning a living.
Salaam,

I personally do not like to label a human being as illegal. Humans want to survive. I think the law should be changed to suit this basic instinct.

I don't care about illegal immigration in the UK. As for these people cheating the system, I'm more concerned about the British government reckless spending and their crazy, psychotic support for all these wars, costing us billions.

Who Am I?
04-10-2012, 07:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tragic Typos
Salaam,

I personally do not like to label a human being as illegal. Humans want to survive. I think the law should be changed to suit this basic instinct.

I don't care about illegal immigration in the UK. As for these people cheating the system, I'm more concerned about the British government reckless spending and their crazy, psychotic support for all these wars, costing us billions.
You could say the same about the US government as well.

smile
04-13-2012, 02:47 PM
being white american ...

Muezzin
04-14-2012, 05:28 PM
A natural-born American citizen is one with an American flag instead of an umbilical cord.

Any other definition is simply un-American.

Banu_Hashim
04-14-2012, 08:05 PM
lol, some funny responses. I was born overseas with American citizenship. So, I can't become President? darn. I think I'll live.

Who Am I?
04-16-2012, 03:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Inquilaab
lol, some funny responses. I was born overseas with American citizenship. So, I can't become President? darn. I think I'll live.
Last year when I turned 35, someone remarked to me that I was now old enough to run for President. I simply replied that I was not interested in the job.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!