/* */

PDA

View Full Version : someone please help me, please please please!

Snowflake
04-07-2012, 04:06 PM
:sl:

I've got to do this (below) but I can't find the user.js. file. I can see two files with (js) in them prefs.js.back and prefs.js.new? Could it be one of them?

The instructions I'm following say to create one if none exists - how would I do that?

One more thing. It say 'change the url "Http://www.mozilla.org" to the site for which you want to enable this function. Again how do I do that?

This is what i'm trying to do:

1. Quit Firefox. If you have Quick Launch running (in Windows, an icon in the toolbar), quit that too.
  2. Find your Firefox profile directory.
  3. Open the user.js file from that directory in a text editor. If there's no user.js file, create one.
  4. Add these lines to user.js:

user_pref("capability.policy.policynames", "allowclipboard"); user_pref("capability.policy.allowclipboard.sites" , "http://www.mozilla.org"); user_pref("capability.policy.allowclipboard.Clipbo ard.cutcopy", "allAccess"); user_pref("capability.policy.allowclipboard.Clipbo ard.paste", "allAccess"); * Change the url "http://www.mozilla.org" to the site for which you want to enable this function.
Appreciate your help in advance.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Alpha Dude
04-07-2012, 04:11 PM
Open notepad and copy/paste these lines into it:
Code:
user_pref("capability.policy.policynames", "allowclipboard");  
user_pref("capability.policy.allowclipboard.sites" , "http://www.mozilla.org");
user_pref("capability.policy.allowclipboard.Clipbo ard.cutcopy",  "allAccess");
user_pref("capability.policy.allowclipboard.Clipbo ard.paste", "allAccess");
Change the red part to whatever it is that you need to put there.

Then save the file as user.js [make sure to select 'all files' as the type]

Snowflake
04-07-2012, 04:17 PM
Jazak Allah khayr bro. You're a (cyber) life saver!

Hulk
04-07-2012, 04:19 PM
nice work alpha dude. i opened this thread thinking it was theology related and i just read it with a blank face.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Snowflake
04-07-2012, 04:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
Open notepad and copy/paste these lines into it:

Code:
user_pref("capability.policy.policynames", "allowclipboard");  user_pref("capability.policy.allowclipboard.sites" , "
Code:
http://www.mozilla.org"); user_pref("capability.policy.allowclipboard.Clipbo ard.cutcopy",  "allAccess"); user_pref("capability.policy.allowclipboard.Clipbo ard.paste", "allAccess");
Change the red part to whatever it is that you need to put there.

Then save the file as user.js [make sure to select 'all files' as the type]
Do I have to delete the old one before I redo it?

Alpha Dude
04-07-2012, 04:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Snowflake

Do I have to delete the old one before I redo it?
What do you mean redo? Did it work the first time? I think Aabiru sabeel made a change to my post to make the code appear in code blocks but the code is still the same as it was before.

Where did you get these instructions from btw and what does it do?

Snowflake
04-07-2012, 04:47 PM
I thought the first one might not work because of the gap. It didn't. I don't understand why.

I got the instructions from Mozilla developer network. As Mozilla's security preferences weren't allowing me to copy/paste on a site I'm working on.

P.S. trying again insha Allah

P.S. Do I have to save the file to a folder? Maybe that's why it didn't work?

Alpha Dude
04-07-2012, 04:52 PM
Ahh. It should work if you copy paste from my edited code. There was an extra space in the code that you originally posted within the word 'clipboard' which would cause it to fail.

Snowflake
04-07-2012, 04:56 PM
Ok thanks. Going to try it now insha Allah.

Alpha Dude
04-07-2012, 04:58 PM
P.S. Do I have to save the file to a folder? Maybe that's why it didn't work?
Yeah, you have to save it in the profile folder. Drag and drop the file you created into it.

Snowflake
04-07-2012, 05:04 PM
Ok, trying again. Just to double check, I type in the domain name of the site I'm working on, correct?

Alpha Dude
04-07-2012, 05:10 PM
Ok, trying again. Just to double check, I type in the domain name of the site I'm working on, correct?
What is the above code supposed to do? I'm not sure. Is it granting copy/paste functionality of some sort? Where did you get these instructions?

marwen
04-07-2012, 05:12 PM
^ Alpha Dude is the man ! :thumbs_up

PS : @sis snowflake, in case you couldn't make it work the (alpha) geeky way, or if you are lazy like me, you can install the plugin AllowClipboard helper from here it helps do it.

then from firefox menu "tools" (sorry my FF is french)

then put the url and click "allow" :

• Install AllowClipboard Helper. (If you already have this, skip down to Tools->AllowClipboard Helper.) Note: When you click Install on this page, a popup bar may popup at the top of the current page asking you to allow the site. Go ahead and do this.
  • Bookmark this page so you can come back after you exit your browser.
  • Exit(Close) all browser windows.
  • Restart your browser.
  • Click Tools->AllowClipboard Helper.
  • Add your domain: 'www.mysite.com' in the server address text box and click 'Allow'.
    (Or you can use http://www.mydomain.com and https://www.mydomain.com
    Do not include an ending slash on the website or copy/paste will not work.)
  • Click Ok.
  • Close all browser windows.
  • Restart your browser, and copy/paste should work for you in HTMLArea.
  • If you want to uninstall the AllowClipboard Helper plugin once you have verified things are working: In FireFox goto Tools->Extensions. Click on AllowClipboard Helper in your extension window and click Uninstall.

Note about AllowClipboard Helper: AllowClipboard Helper will show a tab under your Rich Text HTML Editors if it thinks cut/copy/paste is disabled. (Feel free to test yourself.) You can easily add a site to your allowed list by clicking this tab and clicking allow in the AllowClipboard Helper window. If you do not want these tabs then go here to remove them: "Tools->Extensions->AllowClipboard Helper->Options".

Alpha Dude
04-07-2012, 05:20 PM
What does it mean to allow cliboard? I'm quite confused actually lol.

Can't you just ctrl+c/ctrl+v? What am I missing here. :hiding:

marwen
04-07-2012, 05:28 PM
What does it mean to allow cliboard? I'm quite confused actually lol.

Can't you just ctrl+c/ctrl+v? What am I missing here.
AFAIK, (for security reasons) firefox does not allow access to the clipboard (os "copy/paste" buffer) from JavaScript code, like javascript functions used in js components (Editors,etc .). This makes some online text editors unable to make copy paste on some websites, so we have to explicitely allow it on this website.

Snowflake
04-07-2012, 06:06 PM
Yeah, you have to save it in the profile folder. Drag and drop the file you created into it.
It's not worked and I know it's my fault. I'm just hopeless : ( I couldn't save it to the profile folder. Didn't know how to locate it. I tried mozilla folder but there was no 'profile' folder file in there.

format_quote Originally Posted by marwen
^ Alpha Dude is the man ! :thumbs_up

PS : @sis snowflake, in case you couldn't make it work the (alpha) geeky way, or if you are lazy like me, you can install the plugin AllowClipboard helper from here it helps do it.

then from firefox menu "tools" (sorry my FF is french)

then put the url and click "allow" :

Thanks brother. I'll try this insha Allah.

Alpha Dude
04-07-2012, 06:14 PM
It's not worked and I know it's my fault. I'm just hopeless : ( I couldn't save it to the profile folder. Didn't know how to locate it. I tried mozilla folder but there was no 'profile' folder file in there.
The profile folder is actually where you saw the pref.user.js and the other file, that you mention in your first post?

Type this in the address bar: about:support then hit go. Then click Open Containing Folder and there you go. :)

Although Marwen's idea is better.

Snowflake
04-07-2012, 06:34 PM
Oh ok, thanks bro. Jazak Allah khayr for your patience.

@brother Marwen. Your browser seems to be different than mine.

I searched in all the options tabs but there's no 'assistant access..' option anywhere

Here's what i see:

marwen
04-07-2012, 06:38 PM
^ did you install the plugin I posted ?
after installing it, and restarting FF, you should find an option "Clipboard access .." under the tools menu.

Snowflake
04-07-2012, 06:40 PM
oops no.. sorry my head's been spinning. I'll do it now insha Allah

Snowflake
04-07-2012, 06:48 PM
ok al hamdulillah done that.. last thing insha Allah.... do i also put my domain add in the space where the red dot is. it's already in the space below?

marwen
04-07-2012, 06:54 PM
^ if it's your domain address that you want to allow clipbaord access, then it should be added.
You should put there the address of the website you want to activate clipboard (copy/past) access.
(or just open that page (address) with the browser, and then click on tools->AllowClipboard helper, you'll find the address automatically written, you just allow it)

Edit : oh ..sorry .. if it already exists in the list below, then this means it's added, no need to add it again.

Just a Q : are you making your own website ?

Snowflake
04-07-2012, 08:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by marwen
^ if it's your domain address that you want to allow clipbaord access, then it should be added.
You should put there the address of the website you want to activate clipboard (copy/past) access.
(or just open that page (address) with the browser, and then click on tools->AllowClipboard helper, you'll find the address automatically written, you just allow it) < This worked al hamdulillah

Edit : oh ..sorry .. if it already exists in the list below, then this means it's added, no need to add it again.

Just a Q : are you making your own website ?
Yayyyy Al hamdulillah finally finally! *happy*

Yes, I'm trying to finish it insha Allah. It worked straight away when it automatically typed in the add for me. I was supposed to type in the server's add, not my domain (probably cuz it's offline?). Al hamdulillah, thank you so to you and bro Alpha. I'm so happy with the help I received masha Allah. May Allah be happy with you both too and grant you both the shade of His Throne on the Day of Judgment. Ameen

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!