/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Assignment for school about Islam

Jane2012
04-10-2012, 04:08 PM
Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum. The reason I'm writing is because I have this assignment in one class, World's Religions, and I have to interview somebody who is from a different religion than mine. I am Christian, by the way. Since we are learning about Islam now, I need to talk to a Muslim, to ask question about Islam, to get a better understanding of it. Things like what religion means to you, if you engage in any religious practice or holidays, how religion enriches your life etc. The teacher gave us a set of questions to guide us in our interview. Any chance anyone could help me? I don't know anyone who is a Muslim, that's why I thought of writing on this forum. Thank you in advance.

If anyone can help me, that would be great. I could email you the questions or talk to you on Skype if you prefer. I could even meet with you. I live in Chicago (North side).

Thanks again.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muslim Woman
04-10-2012, 04:57 PM
Salaam/ Peace

Welcome to the forum.

It could be dangerous to meet any stranger . So , I suggest u better post your questions here .

Dagless
04-10-2012, 07:08 PM
I don't think you can pm yet so feel free to post the questions on here and I'm sure you'll get lots of answers.

Hulk
04-10-2012, 07:32 PM
Goodness don't meet anyone from forums! That's dangerous. Anyway welcome to the forums, I assume you only need one person to interview for your assignment. All the best :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Jane2012
04-12-2012, 12:47 PM
Hi again. Salaam.
I'll post some question here. If someone could answer them, that would be much appreciated.

What do you like about your religion? How does it enrich your life?
What do you fid challenging about your religion?
What does your religion say about gender, race, war, poverty etc?
What do you consider the future prospects of your religion to be- good or bad?
In what ways do you want to grow in your religious knowledge and practice?
What religious practices and holidays did you engage in as a child? which is your favorite holiday and why?

Also, could somebody tell me what significance Eid' Al-Fitr has? What do you do on this holiday?

Thanks a lot.

Muslim Woman
04-12-2012, 01:03 PM
Salaam/Peace

InshaAllah ( God Willing ) will post more later. Now in short ,
I love the simple , important teaching of Islam about God Almighty .

God is one , God has power over everything , no one can harm Him , God is immortal , no one is equal to Him , only God deserves our worship - these are very logical and simple to understand .

Islam teaches us to worship the Creator and not any creation - I love this teaching :)

Muslim Woman
04-12-2012, 02:15 PM
Salaam/ Peace

format_quote Originally Posted by Jane2012
What does your religion say about gender, race,.

The caste system

{O mankind! We have created you from a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes, that you may know one another. Verily, the Most honourable of you with Allaah is that who has At-Taqwa (God's fear)}[49:13].

This verse affirms that all mankind are equal, and that Allaah does not look to our race or colour, but to our piety and righteous actions. Being of a different race or colour is only in order to know each other

http://www.islamweb.net/emainpage/in...twaId&Id=89098

All mankind is from Adam and Eve, an Arab has no superiority over a non-Arab nor a non-Arab has any superiority over an Arab; also a white has no superiority over black nor a black has any superiority over white except by piety and good action

Prophet Muhammad S.A.W

Muslim Woman
04-12-2012, 02:24 PM
:sl:

Allaah The Almighty Says (what means): {And whoever does righteous deeds, whether male or female, while being a believer -- those will enter Paradise and will not be wronged}[Quran 4:124]

Women in the Quran and the Sunna
For Muslim men and women, for believing men and women, for devout men and women, for true men and women, for men and women who are patient and constant, for men and women who humble themselves, for men and women who give in charity, for men and women who fast, for men and women who guard their chastity, and for men and women who engage much in Allah's praise, for them has Allah prepared forgiveness and great reward. (33:35)

The Qur'an declares:
O mankind! Reverence your Guardian-Lord, who created you from a single person, created, of like nature, his mate, and from this pair scattered (like seeds) countless men and women. Reverence Allah, through Whom you demand your mutual (rights), and reverence the wombs (that bore you); for Allah ever watches over you. (4:1)
http://www.islamtomorrow.com/women/Muslimah.htm

Muslim Woman
04-12-2012, 02:43 PM

EID-UL-FITR is celebrated on the first day of Shaw'waal, at the completion of Ramadan. Shaw'waal is the 10th month of the Islamic calendar

Sunnah of Eid
  • Wake up early.
  • Prepare for personal cleanliness, take care of details of clothing, etc.
  • Take a Ghusl (bath) after Fajr.
  • Brush your teeth.
  • Dress up, putting on best clothes available, whether new or cleaned old ones.
  • Use perfume (men only).
  • Have breakfast on Eid-al-Fitr before leaving for prayer ground. On Eid-al-Adha, eat breakfast after Salaat or after sacrifice if you are doing a sacrifice.
  • Pay Zakaat-al-Fitr before Salaat-al-Eid (on Eid-al-Fitr).
  • Go to prayer ground early.
  • Offer Salaat-al-Eid in congregation in an open place except when whether is not permitting like rain, snow, etc.
  • Use two separate route to and from the prayer ground.
  • Recite the following Takbir on the way to Salaat and until the beginning of Salaat-al-Eid:
Allaho-Akber, Allaho-Akber. La ila-ha ill-lal-lah. Allaho-Akber, Allaho-Akber. Wa-lilahill hamd.

(Allah is great, Allah is great. There is no god but Allah. Allah is great, Allah is great. And all praises are for Allah).

http://www.islamicity.com/ramadan/eid_default.shtml

Muslim Woman
04-12-2012, 02:52 PM

Establishing Prayer… Even in Eid?

Why do Muslims have this Eid (Feast) immediately after Ramadan? They keep fasting and praying long prayers for a whole month… and then… after they are done with that… they do not go and have fun… they go to pray… even in their feast!!! Why do you make prayers in your Eid? What is the wisdom of that prayer?? You worship even in your fun time?!

http://www.onislam.net/english/ask-about-islam/faith-and-worship/aspects-of-worship/168952-establishing-prayer-even-in-eid.html

Let me stop here ; else u will be over burden with info :(

ardianto
04-12-2012, 03:27 PM
Hi jane, welcome to the forum. :)

Before I answer your questions, I will give you personal information, maybe it's useful for your assignment. I am a 45 years old man, married, have kids, and live in Indonesia.

format_quote Originally Posted by Jane2012
What does your religion say about gender, race, war, poverty etc?
Since the begining I learn Islam when I was kid, all of my teachers always said, that paradise is under the mother feet. They always remind me that women have special position in Muslim society because they are people who give birth people. Pregnant and give birth is not an easy duty, that's why paradise is under the mother feet.

My teachers taught me too, that men and women have different duties and different rights. But it doesn't means the one is lower or higher than another. And as a man who live in society that dominated by Muslims, I see the truth, that not true if in Islam women are oppressed. I know it from what I have seen everyday, from how religious Muslim males in my place treat women around them.

Oppression on women actually is caused by culture and misinterpretation of Qur'an and hadith. Not because Islam.

About human race. Racism is unacceptable in Islam. You can read post #7.

Okay, now is night in my place. I must go to bed. InshaAllah I will back tomorrow to answer other questions.

Jane2012
04-12-2012, 06:52 PM
Thank you so much everyone for taking time and answering my questions. You were very helpful. It will not only help we with my assignment, but I got to learn about Islam, that I knew very little about. :-)

GuestFellow
04-12-2012, 09:54 PM
Hi,

A very brief introduction to Islam. http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/islam/

It lacks details, but good for beginners.

I used to have homework like these. I just make up the answers and get an A*. :p:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!