/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Muslim woman's bra photo sparks controversy

CosmicPathos
04-13-2012, 09:38 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...o.html?cmp=rss

A photo of a Muslim woman wearing full Islamic dress and holding up a bra as she sorts laundry is stirring controversy in Kamloops, B.C., and the Saudi Arabian Embassy is now involved.
The photo, taken by Thompson Rivers University fine arts student Sooraya Graham, features one of Graham's friends wearing a niqab, a veil covering the face, and an abaya, a full-body cloak.

Graham, who is Muslim but not of Saudi origin, said she doesn’t feel the work needs to be explained. She said she selected the photo for the exhibit because “it humanizes the veiled woman.”

So Ms. Graham has the God-given right to humanize Muslimahs by showing their pics holding up bras and panties? is that humanity? Thats being worse than animals. I am waiting for someone to draw a magnificent artwork of a bearded Muslim holding his boxers, then I will accept that equality exists.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ramadan90
04-13-2012, 10:33 PM
Very weird. All I can say is that she should know better as a muslim woman. I wonder what was in her mind when she did such a thing as this?

Ramadan90
04-13-2012, 10:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by CosmicPathos
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...o.html?cmp=rss

A photo of a Muslim woman wearing full Islamic dress and holding up a bra as she sorts laundry is stirring controversy in Kamloops, B.C., and the Saudi Arabian Embassy is now involved.
The photo, taken by Thompson Rivers University fine arts student Sooraya Graham, features one of Graham's friends wearing a niqab, a veil covering the face, and an abaya, a full-body cloak.

Graham, who is Muslim but not of Saudi origin, said she doesn’t feel the work needs to be explained. She said she selected the photo for the exhibit because “it humanizes the veiled woman.”

So Ms. Graham has the God-given right to humanize Muslimahs by showing their pics holding up bras and panties? is that humanity? Thats being worse than animals. I am waiting for someone to draw a magnificent artwork of a bearded Muslim holding his boxers, then I will accept that equality exists.
:giggling::lol:

GuestFellow
04-13-2012, 10:35 PM
Salaam,

She said she selected the photo for the exhibit because “it humanizes the veiled woman.”
What? Holding a bra humanizes a women? :skeleton:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
CosmicPathos
04-13-2012, 10:36 PM
She wanted to "humanize" our Niqabi sisters by putting the niqab beside a bra. And you humanize Niqabis by contrasting Niqab with Victoria Secrets, and not by depicting the good deeds that Niqabis do. Great.

GuestFellow
04-13-2012, 10:42 PM
What on Earth was she thinking? Where's my rolling pin...someone needs some sense smashed into their heads.

CosmicPathos
04-13-2012, 10:43 PM

sad part is that this pic wont ever cause any controversy. poor men.

GuestFellow
04-13-2012, 10:45 PM
^ I never knew a picture like that ever existed...

Shouldn't it be a muslim man holding boxers? Hmmmmmm

Ramadan90
04-13-2012, 10:47 PM
I do not understand how the picture humanizes woman with niqab at all, if anything its dehumanising the woman. Are woman with niqab less human because they are wearing more clothes? Hmm, mmkay.

CosmicPathos
04-13-2012, 10:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tragic Typos
^ I never knew a picture like that ever existed...

Shouldn't it be a muslim man holding boxers? Hmmmmmm
this is the closest I could find on "underwear beard" in google images. :p

CosmicPathos
04-13-2012, 10:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Allah<3
I do not understand how the picture humanizes woman with niqab at all, if anything its dehumanising the woman. Are woman with niqab less human because they are wearing more clothes? Hmm, mmkay.
nah. its more like this.

If you wear a bra, then you are a human!

And our ancestors 10000 years ago were not humans because they did not wear bras back then!

now, whoever has seen this pic, when they will see my mom in public with niqab on, the very first image that will come to their mind is niqab + bra. Pathetic, I abhor this woman for degrading my mother.

Ramadan90
04-13-2012, 10:51 PM

sad part is that this pic wont ever cause any controversy. poor men.

GuestFellow
04-13-2012, 10:54 PM
this is the closest I could find on "underwear beard" in google images. :p
Delete your history. :skeleton: Someone will get the wrong idea... :p:

format_quote Originally Posted by Allah<3
Which is why I advocate hitting people like this with a rolling pin....

On a serious note, I think she is trying to get publicity, since art is a very competitive area. Also, I bet most of the comments on that article support her.

Ramadan90
04-13-2012, 10:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tragic Typos
Which is why I advocate hitting people like this with a rolling pin....

On a serious note, I think she is trying to get publicity, since art is a very competitive area. Also, I bet most of the comments on that article support her.
LOL

Could be very possible. But in this way? As a muslim woman? It is very pathetic really. I cant see myself betray my own religion for a wordly thing such as art in this case. Wow.

GuestFellow
04-13-2012, 10:58 PM
^ Salaam,

Hope it is not true but I think it is plausible. Hopefully, she will learn from her mistake and practices Islam properly.

CosmicPathos
04-13-2012, 11:00 PM
keep in mind that she is a white "revert" to islam, and probably thinks that all great scholars of Islam in past were misogynistic pieces of crap, and only she knows her religion. I mentioned white because these are the places where feminism emerged first. I have white Muslim friends who actually shared this article with me today and are totally appalled that their sisters/wives/mothers who do niqab in Canada will now be equated with bras from now on, since after all only wearing a bra humanizes them, while wearing a niqab dehumanizes them.

GuestFellow
04-13-2012, 11:04 PM
Salaam,

Didn't watch the video. She is new to Islam and needs more time. People make mistakes. *Puts away rolling pin*

CosmicPathos
04-13-2012, 11:08 PM
a public mistake requires a public apology (nor forgetting the hurt it has caused to thousands of Muslimahs!). that is a basic Islamic rule. I overheard my mom yelling at the pic when she was watching news today. it was kinda funny, yet extremely sad.

syed1
04-13-2012, 11:44 PM
I don't think she did anything wrong. She is just showing that behind the veiled women lies a your average girl who wears normal clothing. Its just trying to put an end to the western ideology of veiled muslim women being oppressed but really underneath the cloak shes just like every one else. stop hating on her please:)

Insanely.Krazii
04-13-2012, 11:54 PM
Wow. Some people really have no life. And honestly, how is that art? IMHO, I think it's stupid. It's not like she never wears a bra or is always covered. Anyone can find/take a picture like that. I mean, when I was in the US and went shopping, I would pick up a bra though not position it in that way but it's still the same.

I read the article... but anyone can put on a niqab... It possibly could just be a non-Muslim girl.

Insanely.Krazii
04-13-2012, 11:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by syed1
I don't think she did anything wrong. She is just showing that behind the veiled women lies a your average girl who wears normal clothing. Its just trying to put an end to the western ideology of veiled muslim women being oppressed but really underneath the cloak shes just like every one else. stop hating on her please:)
Ok, but there are a lot of ways to explain to people about Niqab. And honestly, the western ideology of veiled muslim women being oppressed will never die. Some people have their minds set and won't change no matter what you do. We shouldn't worry so much about what others think unless it's to give da3wah, and you can do that without involving a bra or art or whatever.

I don't know, that's just my opinion. I'm not saying what she did was haram or halal but that it just could've been done in a easier more simple way. People who look at the picture can get the wrong idea.

جوري
04-14-2012, 12:29 AM
with Victoria Secrets,
I don't understand the obsession with Victoria secret? Several posts with you mentioning them you know just because they advertise doesn't mean they've quality items..
Try integrating La Perla into the next story or Le Mystere even Elle Macpherson Intimates is a step up I presume Saudis can splurge too on high end products..

Now for the real qustion .. why is this news? ;D

:w:

CosmicPathos
04-14-2012, 01:11 AM
w salam sis, this is news because it matters now. After at least 2 incidents while doing grocery with my mother that people stared at her, yelled at her, now I do give a d***. I was about to break the jaw of one woman. It does matter now, enough is enough.

If she could have showed a niqabi feeding an orphan a meal, dont you think that would be have been much more influential in depicting them as humans?

I mention VS cuz that is the only brand I know of. I am not obsessed by it, I use it as a mocking term.

CosmicPathos
04-14-2012, 01:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syed1
you are extremely naive. If her goal is to show humanity, she might do even better by showing a niqabi defecating and then cleaning up, since all humans can relate to that. after all, you know many women who have mastectomy dont wear bras so they cant relate to the "humanness" of niqabis frmo this photograph.

Or perhaps, this better humanizes a niqabi since they are like normal ppl, eating spaghettis.

جوري
04-14-2012, 01:20 AM
I don't think they care to mention Niqabis as anything but backward beaten battered ignoramus women who deserve love in the form of disparaging remarks or to be turned into prostitutes like in Iraq so neither the orphans nor the unmentionable would make a difference except the latter helps create a scandal and they so love to rile Muslims with things that are at the very citadel of the religion i.e modesty, Haya, etc.
Anyhow now you know a couple more stores to add to your armamentarium.. never know when they'll come in handy and save a life :skeleton:

CosmicPathos
04-14-2012, 01:31 AM
knowing VS would do for now since it is considered to be the very epitome of all the fahashi it is about. But I could let wifey get in touch with you for quality products when time comes. :offended:

Hulk
04-14-2012, 03:02 AM
The reactions of some muslims might actually do more damage than the photo of a muslim woman holding up a bra.

asiya45
04-14-2012, 03:06 AM
w salam sis, this is news because it matters now. After at least 2 incidents while doing grocery with my mother that people stared at her, yelled at her, now I do give a d***. I was about to break the jaw of one woman. It does matter now, enough is enough.

If she could have showed a niqabi feeding an orphan a meal, dont you think that would be have been much more influential in depicting them as humans?

I mention VS cuz that is the only brand I know of. I am not obsessed by it, I use it as a mocking term.

Bother, if the picture had to be a niqabi woman with orphans, it wouldn't have even made the news.
I don't think things like that are even publicized. The reason being noone wants niqabis to look good in the news.
But there is no doubt that people would rather see an actress wearing 2peice with orphans.

جوري
04-14-2012, 04:05 AM
Isn't that the very essence and definition of propaganda? To demonize, dehumanize and vilify the other party so that it is easy to do well all the stuff they do? from strip searches to genocides to gitmo..etc. etc. etc.

:w:

ardianto
04-14-2012, 04:47 AM
For years, Saudi women felt embarrased because strange rule that created by Saudi conservative ulama, only male allowed to sell women underwear. It made Saudi women must talked about their underwear size to stranger male, and held underwear in front of stranger male.

Finally Saudi king change this rule, only women allowed to sale women underwear, men are prohibited. However, Saudi ultra conservative ulama said, the new rule allow women to sell women underwear is against sharia.

I hope that photo can open the eyes of Saudi ultra conservative ulama, and make them realize that allow only men to sell women underwear is strange rule that against modesty.

YusufNoor
04-14-2012, 05:32 AM
:sl:

i can't believe that some dudes are blowing a freaking gasket over...laundry? with all the rotten crap going on in the world, THIS is important??? really????
WTF!!!

go do this sister's laundry if you don't want to see her holding it!

how many of you posters actually let/make the women in your life do YOUR laundry? and the cooking and the cleaning as well, huh?

no one is cheering that sister has the guts to wear niqab.

you [edited word] want to avoid this problem FOREVER?

START DOING THE LAUNDRY OF THE WOMEN IN YOUR LIFE!

problem solved, right?

nah, you don't care THAT much. just want to whine like a bunch of [edited]!

DANG!

:wa:

'Abd Al-Maajid
04-14-2012, 07:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abu Ya7ya
As the hadith goes "When there is no haya left, then do as you please."
What does that mean?

CosmicPathos
04-14-2012, 07:35 AM
abdul majid: come on, you know what it means :p

جوري
04-14-2012, 09:29 AM
It's a popular adage 'in Lamm tasta7i fa'f3al ma she'et along with 'il ikhtashoo matoo' which speaks of those who died and kept their modesty as opposed to those who lived by running out naked.. Was told it was something about jinn and an old Turkish bathhouse but I am sure the jinn were just added for the intrigue I am sure it was a simple case of fire as the old Turkish bathhouses were keen on serving tea ...

syed1
04-14-2012, 03:12 PM
this topic has been blown way out of proportion

Pygoscelis
04-14-2012, 04:28 PM
I don't see how it humanizes or dehumanizes anything, but I do appreciate the contrast of the image and it may be an interesting piece of art.

Insanely.Krazii
04-14-2012, 04:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by YusufNoor
i can't believe that some dudes are blowing a freaking gasket over...laundry? with all the rotten crap going on in the world, THIS is important??? really????
WTF!!!
Lol I know thats true. Instead of obsessing over something as foolish and unimportant as this, they should talk about the kids and families that are dying and being tortured this very moment.

GuestFellow
04-14-2012, 04:52 PM
For the embassy to get involved, yes blown out of proportion. However, this is art and we can feel free to criticise it.

CosmicPathos
04-14-2012, 05:54 PM
ppl who dont live in Canada or who havent seen their loved ones being stared at or yelled at or prohibited from entering government places just cuz they wear a piece of cloth on their face, yes its blown out of proportion for them.

Muezzin
04-14-2012, 06:03 PM
I'm not trivialising the discrimination women in certain countries may experience if they wear the niqab. The photo itself is just silly, and I feel the reaction to it has been blown out of proportion. Be angry at the people who discriminate against those who choose to wear the niqab, not a young woman doing a class assignment.

I mean the picture doesn't even make sense. She's doing her laundry, which means she's in her own house or otherwise in a private place where she is not required to wear the veil. Who wears full hijab and niqab when sorting through one's underwear?

If the aim was to 'humanise' a niqaabi, why not show her cradling a baby in her arms in a public place? Would that have been too trite?

Art students can be weird.

~Zaria~
04-14-2012, 06:05 PM
Assalamu-alaikum,

I think the sisters intentions behind this piece of 'art' were good.

However, the plot was lost by associating a muslim woman with an intimate under-garment - that really deserves to be viewed by none other than her husband.

Does she/ her supporters not realise that this is exactly the image that is promoted of women by mainstream media - nothing more than a sex-object?

It certainly is not necessary for a woman in niqaab to hold up a bra, as a means of 'humanizing the veiled woman'.

Did the world think, prior to this piece of art, that niqaabi/ muslim woman did not wear under-wear? ;P

This ummah really needs to avoid using methods adopted by the kufaar to promote their works.

Yes, we know that sexually-toned messages sell - but this is not the manner that Islam prides itself on.

:wa:

CosmicPathos
04-14-2012, 06:09 PM
^^ that is exactly what I am getting at.

if wearing a bra humanizes women, then 100000 years ago when Hawa/Eve didnt wear bra, she was not a human?

This image brings "sexuality" into the whole concept of niqab. Shows that niqabi women can be "sexual." While that is true, but I am sure my mother (and thousands of other Muslimahs) wear niqab to attain taqwa and to not give into base desires. So now when such niqabis have already a very limited presence in Canadian public domain, this image ruins whatever little they had as mature grown pious women. Bra shoudl remain on American Pie billboards, not religious space.

Muezzin
04-14-2012, 06:12 PM
You know what sort of photograph would 'humanise' a veiled woman?

A close-up of her eyes.

~Zaria~
04-14-2012, 06:24 PM
I dont understand why a veiled woman needs to be 'humanised' at all........

Does the world not hear our voices and thoughts?
Do they not see us with our families and communities?
Do we not laugh, cry, love, hurt......and experience all the other emotions of unveiled women?

I doubt that anyone believes there are aliens or robots walking around under niqaabs/ hijabs, lol!

Yep, we are human.
And I dont need to hold a bra/ underwear or any other private garment to prove it : )

Muezzin
04-14-2012, 06:38 PM
'If you prick us, do we not bleed?'

Course, if a skinhead hears you say that he'll take it as an invitation for some ultraviolence, but still.

TrueStranger
04-14-2012, 06:48 PM
I believe the world press photo winner in 2012 was a photo of a niqabi woman in Yemen holding an injured "Relative". It's not the sisters who need to be humanized, but rather individuals who continue to have a twisted perception of reality.

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/2966...muel.htm#page1

dqsunday
04-14-2012, 07:01 PM
Besides, isn't art/photos of humans and animals forbidden in Islam, outside of ID purposes when required by law?

I certainly do not think a bra makes any woman 'human' anymore than her holding any other article of clothing. Washing your clothing is a very human thing to do...afterall only humans need to put clothing on, all other creatures in God's creation have fur/scales or feathers as covering, they don't need any additional protection unless taken out of their natural environment.

CosmicPathos
04-14-2012, 10:29 PM
mod, why dont you delete this thread? Clearly some people are deaf, dumb and blind.

Ms. Graham's next humanizing project should be a niqabi holding a condom in her hand. Empowerment!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!