/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Maysir & Gharar

Chaajo
04-15-2012, 12:20 PM
I read in Wikipedia Gharar and Maysir are forbidden. When I read the breif definition for Gharar, it reminded me stock marketing. So stock marketing is haram?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ardianto
04-19-2012, 07:26 AM
Assalamualaikum.

Gharar is "uncertainty" or "obscurity", although there are Ulama who definite Gharar as "one party get profit, another get loss".

Example of transaction that contains Gharar.

"A" is a suppliers who take commodities from the producers, and sell it to buyers. "B" is a buyer. One day "B" order some commodities to "A". "A" take the money and promise he will give the commodities to "B", although in this time "A" doesn't hold the commodities. There is Gharar in this trading because "A" doesn't know when in exactly he can give the commodities to "B". However, if "A" already get assurance from the producers that the commodities is available and have been reserved for "A", it's not Gharar.

Another example. Trading that the buyer does not know the condition of the the stuff that he buy.

Is stock trading Gharar?. If the share is available, the broker hold authority to sell the share from the share owner, the buyer know in exactly when he will get the share. it's not Gharar. Value of shares can be increased or decreased. But if the buyer already know this probability, it's not Gharar. And in fact, every share buyer know this probability.

But stock trading could be Gharar if the broker does not hold authority from the share owner, but he offers share to the buyer, take money, then start looking for share owner who want to sell share.

Addition. Please differentiate between value and price. If in a trading the buyer agree to buy the goods in price that has been agreed, but the price may be changed in transaction, this is Gharar.

Chaajo
04-20-2012, 11:01 AM
Wow. Never knew that.
The way you word things about trading and stuff impresses me. I know this sounds weird but you can't imagine how dumb I am when it comes to finance! :hiding: Jazakum Allah khairokum.

ardianto
04-21-2012, 04:16 AM
The dumb are people who lazy to learn but act like experts. I am sure you are not a dumb. If you don't know, it's because you haven't learn. If you have learn, InshaAllah, you would know.

Oh, bro, my knowledge in finance is still very very low, and I am just a new learner in Islamic business ethic. :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!