/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Listening to music

Samiun
04-17-2012, 09:09 AM
:sl: I stopped listening to Music a few years ago alhamdulillah, but the thing is I'm starting to do it again. I listen to it occasionally, I don't know why but I had the feeling to skim through the musics that I used to listen to in the past. Has anyone experienced this before and what did you do to prevent it?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
biz
04-17-2012, 10:18 AM
Alhamdulillah i stopped listening to music aswell year ago or more.. I have to tell you, our imaan goes up and down.. i was upset etc and to forget my sadness and anxiety i played games and listened techno trance :hmm:

So my brother, try listen to Quran with your favorite reciter, one u like.. I gota say somethings says that i shud stop listening to it and feel bad they just talk most about haram things.. :/

Im in a hurry i will inshaAllah post later... Take care bro :)

biz
04-17-2012, 10:22 AM
Take a look

~Zaria~
04-17-2012, 10:27 AM
Assalamu-alaikum,

I have the same problem from time to time.

I think it really indicates the addictive nature of music.

And some people struggle to give it up much more than others.
e.g. someone as myself - who is much a day-dreamer, and tends to get 'lost' in certain types of music - esp. soppy love songs (lol)

Ive adopted the following to try and restrain myself from listening to music:

- In the past, my problem was listening to the radio when driving.

And once I had stopped listening to music - I found the silence very uncomfortable.
So now, I listen to Quraan with translation (Alhamdulillah - this has been of huge benefit to me.....theres nothing more beautiful than the words of our Creator).
(however please realise, that Quraan deserves our respect and attention when being recited - so, its not possible to have it playing while everyone else is engaging in conversation).

Other alternatives (to filling in the silent spaces):

Listening to lectures,
Islamic nasheeds (without musical instruments) - theres many that can be downloaded off YT (with translation - so that theres meaning behind the words, if u are not arabic speaking).

And, if you are really bored or need some variety - you can listen to novels/ stories on audio.

The best 2 advises that i can ever give though, is:

1. DONT EVER TURN ON THAT RADIO/ PLAY-LIST.

Sounds harsh - but honestly, once u start - its hard to pull yourself away from it again.
And dont fool yourself into believing that you will just listen to the news/ sport review - and be able to turn the radio off thereafter (it just doesnt work! - sooner or later, you hear a tune that hooks into your senses all over again :/)
The safest radio channels are the 'Talk' stations - not only are they informative, but theres no music : )

2. DESTROY ALL PLAY-LISTS/ CD'S/ MUSIC VIDS, ETC.

This is advice to myself firstly......for I have realised, that just having access (e.g on your laptop) to your favourite songs is an unnecessary temptation as well.

And if we are really sincere in wanting to give up this fitnah, for the sake of attaining Allah's pleasure - then this becomes easier to fulfill.

And finally, try not to forget:

Allah Taa'la - Our Creator, the One who continues to bestow His mercy and favour upon us, despite our disobedience each and every day.......is watching.
Imagine His displeasure as you use the ears that He has given you - against Him.

This alone should be enough to stop us in our tracks! (no pun intended : ) )

Hope this is of some help, insha Allah.

We are all in the same boat Akhee - dodging the poisonous arrows of shaytaan as best we can.

O Allah, help us.....for your sinful slaves are so weak.
Ameen.

:wa:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
'Abd Al-Maajid
04-17-2012, 10:46 AM
Alhamdulillah, I have stopped listening to music too. For the past couple of weeks I havent listened to music much. But when I play a track even now the demons inside me come to life and I end up listening to music for hours...:hmm:

Even about a year ago I had deleted all my music collection, but couple of months later I downloaded them again. imsad

biz
04-17-2012, 05:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ~Zaria~
And if we are really sincere in wanting to give up this fitnah, for the sake of attaining Allah's pleasure - then this becomes easier to fulfill.
Your so right, Allah helps when we try and do it sincerly.. And i admit that music is like a poison, ive heard the Dajjal will come and deceive people with a flute, so just look how popular music is nowadays..

Jedi_Mindset
04-17-2012, 05:55 PM
Alhamdulillah i stopped lsitening, but still have the urge sometimes, sometimes i fail, sometimes not. but small steps and u will achieve Insha'Allah :) takes some effort yes, but for the sake of Allah it won't be a problem.

Insanely.Krazii
04-17-2012, 05:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd Al-Maajid
Alhamdulillah, I have stopped listening to music too. For the past couple of weeks I havent listened to music much. But when I play a track even now the demons inside me come to life and I end up listening to music for hours...:hmm:

Even about a year ago I had deleted all my music collection, but couple of months later I downloaded them again. imsad
I know EXACTLY how you feel. I even gave away my MP3 player because looking at it brought up so many memories and songs into my head. And sometimes if I'm watching a movie and a familiar song comes up, I don't mute the volume. And just browsing through YouTube... I mean there's fitnah all around.

I could advise you, but I need some advice myself, and I liked what sister Zaria said. One of my friends sticks a paper on her laptop screen that says "Allah is always watching me" and some other reminders like that. And don't beat yourself up if you start listening to music because we're all weak and we all make mistakes. Instead of dwelling on the past, make yourself stronger to withold the urge in the future.

I guess start by listening to Islamic nasheeds. Get a hobby to distract you when you feel like listening to music. Umm... I think another impt thing is good Muslim friends. The only reason I started listening to music was because of the bad crowd I used to hang out with. Then I started spending more of my time with a really good Muslimah and we both helped each other out and talked about it when the times got difficult.

I'm not going to say it's easy because it's not. But hopefully things will get better with time.

الله معك

cOsMiCiNtUiTiOn
04-18-2012, 01:38 PM
There's really no set steps to not listen to music. You just stop. Perhaps try finding out what music is exactly and how it affects the human mind and emotions, maybe that will make u stop. I played cello over 10 years of my life, in high school I was in varsity orchestra, band and choir and also took music theory and also composed pieces. When I came to Islam I let it all go. I have my moments here and there, but honestly the easiest way is by keeping busy with matters of Islam, there's too much to learn very little time. You just have to force yourself to stay away. That's what the battle of the self is all about.

- cOsMiC

cOsMiCiNtUiTiOn
04-19-2012, 04:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by crimsontide06
To me, music is a beautiful art. I like to hear stuff from the 70's 80's and 90's. A little from the 2000's but now its all computerized garbage, no actual talent needed.

A question... lets say I gave up listening to music, which would be VERY hard.. if I (inshallah) made it into heaven, I could have all the music I want right??
I'm not sure where to begin here lol. The music you know now is but a fragment of what music really is, so if we make it to Jannah (inshaAllah), the music u will hear there is nothing like what modern music is, and by modern I mean the last 6 centuries or so. All of today's music is based on 5 pentatonic notes and what lies in between them (creating scales) . The greeks called these 5 notes "pentas". As far as your question, I can't answer that. As far as I know, Allah will reward us with something much better when we give up things for his sake, so I can't begin to imagine what that reward will be or what I will want at that time personally. Perhaps youw ill be just happy being in Jannah and you'd forget all about this music junk. Allahu Alim :)

Let's remember the words of our prophet (saw).

Rasul Allah (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) said: “Allah Mighty and Majestic sent me as a guidance and mercy to believers and commanded me to do away with musical instruments, flutes, strings, crucifixes, and the affair of the pre-Islamic period of Ignorance.” [Abu Dawud]

Sahih Al-Bukhari Hadith 7.494B Narrated by Abu Amir
that he heard the Prophet (saws) saying, "From among my followers there will be some people who will consider illegal sexual intercourse, the wearing of silk, the drinking of alcoholic drinks and the use of musical instruments, as lawful.”
Al-Tirmidhi Hadith 3153 Narrated by Muhammad ibn Hatib al-Jumahi
The Prophet (saws) said, "The distinction between what is lawful and what is unlawful is the song and the tambourine at a wedding."

This video I'm gonna show you is from a series, and it is not meant to paint music in a bad light. The series is quite long and explains how music works and how "great" it is. However, I'd like you to watch it from an Islamic perspective, this first part alone should be enough to help you begin to understand the damage you are doing to yourself when listening to music, once u can see its foundations. The rest is not necessary, but if you want to learn more, it's up to you.

Here is Harmony, which plays a big role in making music what it is today.

This next short video is the Author who wrote a book called "musicophilia" (a very good read if you have the patience), he got an MRI in order to record how the brain reacts to music. The point of this video is that your brain recognizes things YOU don't recognize. From this you can conclude that, music really does have hypnotic effects and your brain picks up information that you do not recognize, after all as I said on another thread to you, music itself is a language. When you know how to speak, read and write it fluently, it is only then hat u can really grasp what exactly it is.

Also, we are told that Listening to the recitations of teh Quran is healing for us, and we are encouraged to listen to it often. It would be nice to see the brain in action when listening to the Quran. Check out this article on the neuro-psychological effects of Quran recitation.

http://mohamedghilan.com/2012/01/12/how-the-quran-shapes-the-brain/

- cOsMiC

Banu_Hashim
04-20-2012, 06:19 AM
I pray that Allah gives us the strength to do what pleases him and refrain from what displeases him, Ameen! This is a reminder for myself first and foremost...

crimsontide06
04-21-2012, 05:35 AM
ok ty all for your thoughts! Just now saw them!

True-blue
04-21-2012, 07:30 AM
I have seen many Muslims who can not restraint themselves from listening to Music. It's a very common problem.

Yanal
04-21-2012, 06:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Samiun
:sl: I stopped listening to Music a few years ago alhamdulillah, but the thing is I'm starting to do it again. I listen to it occasionally, I don't know why but I had the feeling to skim through the musics that I used to listen to in the past. Has anyone experienced this before and what did you do to prevent it?
Walakum asalam brother,

As you know my brother, it is unlawful to sing(or listen for that regard) immoral songs because they tend to have a greater probability of instigating evil passions within ourselves. You must ask yourself what good does listening to music do to you? Wouldn't you rather listen to the Quran or a nasheed?

It's how you put music into perspective that makes it a difficult habit to get rid of.Insha'Allaah keep your mindset in the path of Allaah, when you feel the sudden urge to listen to music, bring forth a thought of Allaah, and ask yourself : is this what I'm doing going to benefit me in the hereafter? Other then that brother,you can try and occupy yourself with other acts of Sunnah to keep your mind from dwandling around. Personally I've had this issue a few years ago before but i keep myself busy so I don't have the time to indulge in the act of listening to music. Insha'Allaah may Allaah help you and continue to guide you towards the path of Jannah,ameen.

Signor
04-23-2012, 08:31 AM
Waalikum Salaam Brother

I had been in this condition which you are feeling now.Its never been easy to put a boot on your nafs,walk towards Ar-Rahmaan and moves away from Shaytaan.This is indeed devil's game,Music does provides a playground for it.I don't know how deep the rabbit hole goes but i can show you a pattern from my own meandering experience.
I've left listening music in early 2010 or so,crushing all my CD's,deleting the songs all over my HD and it doesn't take more than few minutes to do this all.But after that,the bigger stage came upon i.e to show steadfastness or istiqama'h on the decision i made.As an avid learner,i do watch a whole lot of documentaries and this where my love for the Soundtracks started.But soon i feel its another trap of my nafs,so i left listening them anyway.The last attack was the Nasheeds,all those Nasheeds creep into my mind,defocusing myself from Salaat,once again i feel they are not doing what they should do,so i am now keeping myself aside from them too.The reason I am telling you this we don't know when we get caught in Satan's web.he never feel lazy and he never quit playing twisted mind games with us.He is not a human being that we can see where he is coming from.This is why Quran mentioned good seven times the story of Iblees not prostrating towards Adam (A.S).Satan was cast out of paradise due to his pride but he took a promise from Allah to be left alive until the day of judgment.
"He said: Reprieve me till the day when they are raised (from the dead).
He said: Lo! You are of those who are reprieved? (al-Araaf 14-l 5)."
Then the accursed one made a promise and vow to himself that he would mislead the offspring of Adam and plot against them.
"He said: Now, because you have sent me astray, verily I shall lurk in ambush for them on your Right Path. Then I shall come upon them from before them and from behind them and from their right and from their left, and you will not find most of them beholden (to You)(al-Araaf 15-16)"

"Allama Ibnul Qayyum Al-Jowzy, a fourteenth century scholar narrates a dialogue between Shaytaan and Allah when Shaytaan. When he was evicted from Paradise, he complained to Allah, I have been evicted from Paradise and it is going to be my task to make human life on earth a mission impossible. Im going to make sure that he boards the joy ride to Hell. That is my mission, but I will need some tools for that.

Shaytaan said: Where will I go in the world?
Allah replied: Your place is the public baths i.e., swimming pools, beaches, etc. (places of nudity).

Shaytaan: Where will I sit and spend my time?
Allah: In the town centers, in the market places i.e., malls, shopping centers, street corners.

Shaytaan: What will be my food?
Allah: Every animal that is not slaughtered according to Shariah principle, in the name of Allahthat will be your food i.e., haraam food, and you influence will penetrate into the person who eats such a food. (What do we see in the world today?)

Shaytaan: What will be my drink:
Allah: Every intoxicant will be your drink. (Notice that the word intoxicant is used, which means anything that intoxicates and not only alcohol.)

Shaytaan: What will be my Quran?
Allah: Your Quran will be music.

Shaytaan: You will have a person who will call towards prayer and success, so who will be my prayer caller?
Allah: Your prayer caller will be the musician.

The Quran tells us music and musicians is this and society tells us music and musicians are something else. Compare the two versions.

Shaytaan further asks: What will be my speech with which my influence will permeate within that person?
Allah replied: Lies.

Shaytaan: What will be my trap with which I can fish the human being into coming towards my way?
Allah: Women. "

It is the duty of every Muslim to strive his utmost to find acceptable (lawful) alternative to the
prohibited forms of music and song as delineated in the treatise. No doubt, for every unlawful thing
there is a lawful alternative available.You can Read And Recite Quran Or As the Brother Biz mentioned earlier,listen to your favourite reciter or gather audios of different reciters and listen to them.English translator of the Quraan, Muhammad M. Pickethall,describes his experience as "that inimitable symphony, the very sounds of which move men to tears and ecstasy."Constant Dhikr on your tongue could do the job,The glorious Quraan says, {Yes, verily in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find tranquility}.You can also engage yourself in health activities such as sports,They will not only keeps you fit and strong but also brings benefit by developing physical and mental acumen.Insha-Allah,You will succeed in overcoming worldly desires and tempatations,may Allah keeps us in His blessing and guide us to the right path,Ameen

Regards

Periwinkle18
04-23-2012, 10:41 AM
omg it was so hard for me to leave music cuz alhumdulillah i hav a really good voice n i love singing i was crazy abt music i;ve played the piano n recorder n other instruments wen i was in HK used to know abt all the latest songs buh alhumdulillah alhumdulillah i stopped listening 6 yrs back, the sad part is tht i remember all the songs i used to listen to and sometimes sing them wen i meet my frnds i've planned to stop tht too inshaAllah , i sliped once recently and listend to the song called who says buh afta tht i felt so bad i cried lots n asked for forgiveness n havn't listend to songs afta tht i sometimes listen to nasheeds buh usually i just sing my self...

i agree with sis cosmicintuition tht there r no set steps u just decide to stop listening n stop right away :)

just stay away from it, for me its hard to go to malls cuz theres usually music in everyshop n it gets stuck in my head.

May Allah help u inshaAllah He'll reward u for trying n inshaAllah u'll leave it completely like i did. inshaAllah

is it ok to sing?? i mean nasheeds n nursery rhymes n all?? cuz i work in a skool n sometimes hav to sing to the kids...

CosmicPathos
05-20-2012, 02:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by cOsMiCiNtUiTiOn
Sahih Al-Bukhari Hadith 7.494B Narrated by Abu Amir
that he heard the Prophet (saws) saying, "From among my followers there will be some people who will consider illegal sexual intercourse, the wearing of silk, the drinking of alcoholic drinks and the use of musical instruments, as lawful.”
Sis, in this hadith what are the arabic words used for musical instruments? Are not our vocal cords also musical instruments?

And I dont consider illegal sex, wearing of silk or drinking of alcohol as lawful. So does this hadith apply to me as I believe in 75% of it?

CosmicPathos
05-20-2012, 02:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanal
Wouldn't you rather listen to the Quran or a nasheed?
What if someone listens to both Quran and music? This is not a good argument against music, brother. Its like saying "would you not listen to Quran when you are about play soccer? or about to talk to your wife?"

Hulk
05-20-2012, 02:24 AM
It is not my place to analyze the meaning of a hadith and I am sure scholars have differing opinions on it as well. I would say that from my own personal observation music can shape a society's way of thinking (subtly).

I find it interesting that society often views "heavy metal" or any of its sub genres as satanic. While it's true that there are some subgenres of it has a "satanic" theme, most are about generic things, some about fantasy etc. I'm not saying its good, but compare that to what is in pop culture today, hiphop or rnb. They might not be themed on "satan" but they "preach" promiscuity, alcohol, what have you. The problem with metal in my opinion is not so much as in the lyrics but in the culture itself, go to any metal gigs(don't go its just an example) and you will see for yourself.

That is for the audience.

It's a whole other experience for the performer.

But still I dare not say whether it is haram or halal. I have stated the negative(certainly not all of it), but there are positive as well and the question I have in my mind is whether it can be purified much like how Islam purifies the cultures of people. Of course, if it is haram then we must avoid it definitely. In that case we must define what is meant by music.

Scimitar
05-20-2012, 03:34 AM
Is Music Haram?
Al-Haadi Vol. 10 Issue No. 4

Q: Is music haraam? Some people are propagating the view that it is not Haraam. Many Islamic songs are sung with the playing of the duff. Is it permissible to listen to them? Also, some Islamic songs are recorded with the zikr of “Allah” played in the background. It sounds very much like drums are being played. However, it is a group of people who are saying “Allah” in unison. Is there any problem in listening to this?

A: Hazrath Anas (R.A.) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said:“There will certainly be people from my Ummah who will attempt to legalize fornication, the wearing of silk (for males), the consuming of wine and the use of musical instruments” (Al-Jaamius Sagheer - Pg. 139). Indeed this prophesy of Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) is glaring before us. Despite the clear prohibition of the use of musical instruments, great efforts are being made to “legalize” their use. While some people wish to declare all music permissible, others are opening the door slowly by declaring that only the use of the “duff” is permissible. Thus it is necessary to examine the reality of these claims in the light of the Qur’an and Sunnah.
In Surah Luqman Allah Ta’ala declares:
“And among the people are those who purchase idle talk in order to mislead others from the path of Allah in ignorance.”

Hazrath Abdullah bin Masood (R.A.) states emphatically that this verse was revealed regarding singing and musical instruments. The same has been reported from Hazrath Abdullah bin Abbas (R.A.) and Hazrath Jaabir (R.A.) (Tafseer Qurtubi). Thus when these illustrious students of Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam), who witnessed the revelation of the aayaat (verses) of the Qur’an are clear that this verse prohibits music and musical instruments, the “view” of any twentieth century “scholar” to the contrary holds no weight.

BLOCK OUT SOUND
Various Ahadith also clearly prohibit music and the use of musical instruments. Hazrath Abdullah bin Umar (R.A.) reports that once Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) heard the sound of the flute of a shepherd. He immediately placed his fingers into his ears (to block out the sound) (Musnad Ahmad). How tragic it is that our beloved Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) blocks his ears to the sound of music but his Ummah opens their ears wide to the same sounds. In another narration Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) is reported to have said:“ Verily Allah Ta’ala has sent me as a guidance and as a mercy to the Believers and He has commanded me to destroy musical instruments”(Musnad Ahmad).

DUFF
As for the duff, it is also a musical instrument and therefore it will primarily be included in the above prohibition. However, some concession was given for the use of the duff on the occasion of a Nikah. The Sahaaba (R.A.), who were the direct students of Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) understood the commands of the Qur’an and Hadith far better than we can ever hope to understand. It is reported regarding Hazrath Umar (R.A.) that if he heard the sound of a duff he would immediately send somebody to investigate. If it was found to be the occasion of a Walima, he would not do anything. Otherwise he would go for his whip (i.e. he would forcefully stop the playing of the duff) (Fathul Qadeer - Vol. 6, Pg. 389).

EXTRACTING LAWS
Nevertheless, to extract the laws of Shariah directly from the Qur’an and Sunnah is possible only for one who is a mujtahid [in the calibre of the four great Imaams viz. Imaam Abu Hanifa (R.A.), Imaam Malik (R.A.), Imaam Shaafi (R.A.) and Imaam Ahmad bin Hambal (R.A.)]. Together with an expert in-depth knowledge of the Qur’an and hundreds of thousands of Ahadith, they had also mastered all the numerous sciences pertaining to the Qur’an and Sunnah.
According to the Zaahirur Riwayah (the most authentic narrations) of the Hanafi school of thought, the use of the duff is completely disallowed. Latter day scholars who have attributed a restricted permissibility to the Hanafi school have erred. This complete disallowal is based on the Juristic principle of “saddan lil baab” i.e. to restrict an act that would invariably lead to impermissible actions.
The Shafi’ee Ulama have permitted the use of the duff only on the occasion of a walima subject to several conditions. Allamah Ibn Hajar Makki, Shafi’ee has detailed the various conditions, among which is that the duff should not be beaten in a manner that produces a musical sound, but rather just a simple beating which does not produce any tune or melody. Only the palms may be used to beat the duff and not the fingers. It should also be beaten only for a short while. Having stated this he says that “in our era it is makrooh to beat the duff” (since people cannot fulfil the stringent conditions).
Therefore in the light of the above one should not listen to such nazams which are accompanied by the playing of the duff.

BACKGROUND ZIKR
As for the “background zikr,” this should be considered very carefully. What is the purpose of having people say “Allah” in unison in the background? Is it for the purpose of zikr itself? If yes, then why in the background? If the purpose is to create a background effect to make the nazam more entertaining, in the manner that background music is used, this is an extremely dangerous thing. It is abuse of the name of Allah Ta’ala. The name of Allah Ta’ala is not for the purpose of entertainment. If it has been deliberately made to resemble the beating of drums, it will be even more serious and even dangerous for one’s Imaan. One should totally refrain from listening to such nazams.

Source: http://www.beautifulislam.net/halalharam/music.htm

I found the above to provide a good insight into the issue of Music in Islam...

Scimi

Tango
05-20-2012, 03:40 AM
I have played in metal and punk bands since I was in my early teens but have gone through periods of cutting music out completely. If you really study music or are heavily involved in it, once you cut it out you can truly see the detrimental effects it has on you. It clouds your thoughts and consumes your mind. It can lead you to act in ways you normally would not and overall it disheartens the soul. I usually do not listen to it any longer unless I am in a social setting with those who have to have it on. Even then, the thought of "background noise" makes me uncomfortable.

Giving up music was challenging at first for me. As I said, I played in a lot of underground bands and also studied music theory and composition in high school and college. It was a big part of my life. However, in hindsight, it was a negative part and I am glad to have cut it out of my life for the most part.

CosmicPathos
05-20-2012, 04:03 AM
Tango, what instrument were you playing?

Why do you think it was negative part of your past? What about your creativity? Creativity with which you expressed your inner emotions? I do, however, agree that band music or commercial music is not really an "art" but a means to get fame and some celebrity status.

CosmicPathos
05-20-2012, 04:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar
Various Ahadith also clearly prohibit music and the use of musical instruments. Hazrath Abdullah bin Umar (R.A.) reports that once Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) heard the sound of the flute of a shepherd.
Interesting. But what could be so sinister about the rueful tune of a flute? Music coming from flute is just re-arrangement of sound waves by changing the distance between nodes of pressure waves coming from the lungs (you would know this if you know some physics).

Tango
05-20-2012, 04:11 AM
[QUOTE=CosmicPathos;1517078]Tango, what instrument were you playing?[quote]

Guitar, bass, and keyboards. I also play banjo, mandolin, and some violin but those were with my family who all play country and folk music. The metal/punk stuff was all electric guitar, bass, and I would play keyboards if a song needed them while recording.

Why do you think it was negative part of your past? What about your creativity? Creativity with which you expressed your inner emotions? I do, however, agree that band music or commercial music is not really an "art" but a means to get fame and some celebrity status.
Well, the major negative aspect was the music I enjoyed led me to various scenes and groups of people that I should not have been involved in. Drugs, sex, alcohol, etc. The actual music itself did not bother me until recently when I began to really focus on my inner self and spirituality. For me, however, the music I made was always a rejection against what I saw as the decadence and decay in the modern world. This inherently lent itself to extreme forms of music. To me, I was using music as an outlet to rebel against everything I hated about the world, which even included the various "activities" that took place within the scene. I realized, while I was an Orthodox Christian, that this sort of rebellion was not the correct means of alleviating the pains of modernity and became very iinterested in Orthodox ascetic practices. This led to a diminishing influence of music on my life and, since my conversion to Islam, it has become almost non-existent.

CosmicPathos
05-20-2012, 04:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tango
Well, the major negative aspect was the music I enjoyed led me to various scenes and groups of people that I should not have been involved in. Drugs, sex, alcohol, etc. The actual music itself did not bother me until recently when I began to really focus on my inner self and spirituality. For me, however, the music I made was always a rejection against what I saw as the decadence and decay in the modern world. This inherently lent itself to extreme forms of music. To me, I was using music as an outlet to rebel against everything I hated about the world, which even included the various "activities" that took place within the scene. I realized, while I was an Orthodox Christian, that this sort of rebellion was not the correct means of alleviating the pains of modernity and became very iinterested in Orthodox ascetic practices. This led to a diminishing influence of music on my life and, since my conversion to Islam, it has become almost non-existent.
Certainly good development. But what I gather is you drifted away from music because of the associated activities which did not fell well with you. And that is understandable.

But what about musicians who do none of those activities. All they do is practice, practice, practice. No drugs. No women. Nothing of that sort. We have an ancient flute that is 50,000 years old.

When birds sing, they also sing in beautiful musical voices. Music is around is in nature. When tides hit the rocks on the seashores, that also produces music. When wind blows throw dense trees and when the leaves rustle, that is also music. When wind blows against sand dunes, it also creates rueful musical sounds.

Why specific prohibition on the music that humans produce?

Scimitar
05-20-2012, 04:28 AM
My fiance was a Musician - played cello and all that stuff. But after reverting to Islam, she gave it all up - and now, she still feels a pang of attachment everytime she hears a cello being played - but she has sacrificed something she loved because it is disliked in Islam, and therefore she will get her reward from Allah... this is what she believes. :) Sacrifice - an act which Allah loves.

Scimi

CosmicPathos
05-20-2012, 04:32 AM
and yea I read her story on first page.

It is inspirational that being a musician herself she gave it up. You are one lucky man for having such a fiance.

Tango
05-20-2012, 04:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by CosmicPathos
Certainly good development. But what I gather is you drifted away from music because of the associated activities which did not fell well with you. And that is understandable.

But what about musicians who do none of those activities. All they do is practice, practice, practice. No drugs. No women. Nothing of that sort. We have an ancient flute that is 50,000 years ago.

When birds sing, they also sing in beautiful musical voices. Music is around is in nature. Why specific prohibition on the ones that humans produce?
I am very, very new to Islam so I am not sure if I should comment on this, I don't want to talk about something that, religiously, I am not sure of. However, personally, and from my prior experiences, I believe it would have something to do with the "disctraction" of music. Music can have very strange effects on people and can bring forth all kinds of emotions, but ultimately, it serves as a distraction. And in the case of Islam, it is a distraction from Allah, subhanu wa ta'ala, which keeps us from acting correctly or keeping Allah in our minds.

Again, I am very new so I apologize if what I am saying contradicts anything. Those are my personal thoughts.

CosmicPathos
05-20-2012, 04:36 AM
Tango, I understand.

But partaking in daily life also distracts us from Allah swt. Solving algebra questions also for that brief moment of time get us involved in thinking about maths and forgetting about Allah! Or even reading books distract from zikr of Allah swt. Or any other life activity, unless we make a conscious effort to do zikr of Allah. So I am not sure if distraction argument is a good argument.

But I do agree that music can bring forth weird emotions out of humans. But then watching a beautiful woman on the road can also bring out the worse in humans but we dont ban beauty but rather say its a creation of Allah swt! So on and so forth.

Hulk
05-20-2012, 05:22 AM
But what about musicians who do none of those activities. All they do is practice, practice, practice. No drugs. No women. Nothing of that sort. We have an ancient flute that is 50,000 years old.

When birds sing, they also sing in beautiful musical voices. Music is around is in nature. When tides hit the rocks on the seashores, that also produces music. When wind blows throw dense trees and when the leaves rustle, that is also music. When wind blows against sand dunes, it also creates rueful musical sounds.

Why specific prohibition on the music that humans produce?
For me, "nature" music is not the same as "human" music. Granted humans are part of nature as well :statisfie. The difference though is that our music would actually take up a significant amount of our memory as compared to nature. It's not that I am trying to go against music, I myself am a six stringer, but we have to criticise every aspect of what we want to inspect even though if we like it. I'm sure you take this approach as well seeing as you are/were a metalhead yourself.

I believe there are definitely musicians who are righteous muslims, they don't partake in things like haram consumption, and all that stuff. But.. being a musician comes with a little baggage. It makes you kind of arrogant, at least that was the case for me and I believe for others as well. The first time you go on stage and perform is already some form of fighting your modesty, and then there are the praises you get.

Music is certainly a very interesting subject because of its ability to "hold" people. Are there good music and bad music? Certainly. I think a large part of it comes down to the listener. A friend of mine told me that he went to a CD shop to check out the songs and this lady in a mini skirt recommended a Maher Zain cd to him. It's so strange! On one hand, Maher Zain might be a righteous muslim with the intention of expressing or sharing his love for the deen through music, on the other hand that is not what others might interpret out of it.

I suppose one way to look at it is to treat a song like a story or narration, it can be subject to an individual's sole interpretation.

Even after we discuss the place of music itself in our deen we still have to think about the permissibility of "instruments".

Maybe a guitar is prohibited but what if a voice makes the sound of a guitar? Would that be prohibited? It is a discussion I would love to have as long as everyone can keep it civil and honest, and of course recognise that we are not scholars but merely learners(inshaAllah).

Marina-Aisha
05-20-2012, 05:57 AM
music is the hardest for me,i always listen to music i even deteted all on my ipod then i just downloaded all again....

Hulk
05-20-2012, 06:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by marina-hadeya
music is the hardest for me,i always listen to music i even deteted all on my ipod then i just downloaded all again....
May I suggest, If you do end up downloading it again then at least you can try narrowing down the genre that you listen to? I am guessing that you listen to them while you are on your commute, or is it when you are at home?

Don't listen to any song with pitbull

'Abd Al-Maajid
05-20-2012, 06:10 AM
Sis, in this hadith what are the arabic words used for musical instruments? Are not our vocal cords also musical instruments?

And I dont consider illegal sex, wearing of silk or drinking of alcohol as lawful. So does this hadith apply to me as I believe in 75% of it?
You should believe 100% of it.
I believe that music is haram, I often tell myself before listening to music that it is haram and if the dajjal appears anytime in my lifetime then I am doomed. :p

'Abd Al-Maajid
05-20-2012, 06:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hulk
Don't listen to any song with pitbull
Oh! come on, who listens to that crap anyway. :p

Most of the mainstream artists are crap, it's all about fame for them.

At least one can make an exception and skip listening to female artists, because I read a hadith somewhere that Prophet saws specifically mentioned 'songstress'. I cant find it right now. :hmm:

And I must say that someone from this forum helped me discover the true music...:p

BadOlPuttyTat
05-20-2012, 08:39 AM
Odd, music is not so serious for me. Music brings up little emotions simply because i am unemotional :hmm: . Anything distracts you from Allah or making salat. This applies for TV more then music honestly as it takes away your sense of time. But i am very observant of time and i dont find issues with this. Just so you people know music is not a addiction, not even close its a cheap commodity for people now a days. Right now I am listening to Despised Icon and will finish it with some Mussorgsky classics and i will end it with some Edvard Grieg :p . Afterwards ill pass out asleep lol.....starting now :statisfie.

Hulk
05-20-2012, 11:06 AM
Oh! come on, who listens to that crap anyway.
Most of the mainstream artists are crap, it's all about fame for them.
At least one can make an exception and skip listening to female artists, because I read a hadith somewhere that Prophet saws specifically mentioned 'songstress'. I cant find it right now.
And I must say that someone from this forum helped me discover the true music...
Bro I have seen people on my FB pride themselves on looking like pitbull! I mean I must admit it's not like he is bad looking or anything but the songs he are on are so annoying! And the lyrics, I once accidentally "understood" what he was saying while a song was on the radio and.. +o(

Its "music" like that that poison the minds of people, and the hilarious thing to me is when an obscene song gets censored. You know like when certain words are removed from the song. As though people can't understand what it still means! It's like watching an obscene movie with the obscene part pixelated.

I mean it "helps" to a minute extent but it still can poison the mind.

format_quote Originally Posted by ShadowsAndDust
Odd, music is not so serious for me. Music brings up little emotions simply because i am unemotional . Anything distracts you from Allah or making salat. This applies for TV more then music honestly as it takes away your sense of time. But i am very observant of time and i dont find issues with this. Just so you people know music is not a addiction, not even close its a cheap commodity for people now a days. Right now I am listening to Despised Icon and will finish it with some Mussorgsky classics and i will end it with some Edvard Grieg . Afterwards ill pass out asleep lol.....starting now
I think music is one thing that different people might perceive differently as I mentioned above. The songwriter might go through hurtful life experiences or whatever to write a song and the listener might just listen to it and go "meh":hmm:. The same also goes with songwriters who can write a song "just for fun" and the person who listens can be greatly affected by it.

The issue is not so much as a momentary distraction but a lingering one, and not even merely that but also a subtle society shaping tool. I know it sounds a bit much but it's what I really believe. It has the ability to create a culture, which itself is a whole other ballgame.

We might not personally be affected but I believe that there are plenty out there who are.

I think TV is something worthy of discussing as well but I personally don't watch much TV so its hard for me to say much about it :hmm: but I am sure it contributes to the same thing music does though maybe in a different way.

To me personally music can be seen as a tool to subtly control your mood, for example if you are working out maybe you want to listen to the soundtrack of 300 to feel like a warrior.

I read a paper somewhere about using music as a tool to control your "mood". On some level it is interesting but it makes me wonder what about the people who don't realise that music has this effect and they think that the mood/emotions/thought they are having are from themselves?

Ali_008
05-20-2012, 08:50 PM
I have given up music on the whole alhamdulillah, I don't even listen to the so called Islamic songs either. Of course, if there's just the voice and no musical instrument whatsoever then that is a different matter, but I'm refraining from even those rhymes as well. The reason for that is whenever I listen to any song, it gets stuck in my head, and starts playing on loop all day long. Consequently, it affects my salaah as I find the song still playing in my head when I'm in ruku, sujood, and in every position. It doesn't stop even when I'm reciting the Qur'an. I realized the joy of any song is not worth blowing up your aakhirah. That has been my motivation.

And a brother recently told me that those who refrain from listening to music in this world will get to listen to Dawood (AlayhiSalaam) singing in the aakhirah. He said there will be further rewards as well, but I'll tell you only one this because I haven't yet looked up the authenticity of this report.

CosmicPathos
05-20-2012, 09:06 PM
It makes you kind of arrogant, at least that was the case for me and I believe for others as well. The first time you go on stage and perform is already some form of fighting your modesty, and then there are the praises you get.
Thanks for your input, Hulk.

But this arrogant argument is also not a good one, I must say. I know orthopedic surgeons, Internists, cardiologists ... and many of them are arrogant. High qualifications, worldly success, money, respect from patients and community, also brings with it the baggage of arrogance. But we dont shun medicine and doctors, do we ? Rather in times of need, we rush to them, even if they are kaafirs, gays, homos or atheists!

Hulk
05-21-2012, 06:04 AM
. I know orthopedic surgeons, Internists, cardiologists ... and many of them are arrogant. High qualifications, worldly success, money, respect from patients and community, also brings with it the baggage of arrogance.
I have seen this on TV but I wasn't sure of how true it is until you said it. Interesting! Thank you for sharing bro. I guess I can't say much about it since I haven't been in the shoes of a surgeon before, I would say that a surgeon's job has benefit as compared to a musician but then again music has its benefits though not necessarily on the same level as surgical knowledge.

~ Sabr ~
05-21-2012, 06:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ali_008
I have given up music on the whole alhamdulillah, I don't even listen to the so called Islamic songs either. Of course, if there's just the voice and no musical instrument whatsoever then that is a different matter, but I'm refraining from even those rhymes as well. The reason for that is whenever I listen to any song, it gets stuck in my head, and starts playing on loop all day long. Consequently, it affects my salaah as I find the song still playing in my head when I'm in ruku, sujood, and in every position. It doesn't stop even when I'm reciting the Qur'an. I realized the joy of any song is not worth blowing up your aakhirah. That has been my motivation.

And a brother recently told me that those who refrain from listening to music in this world will get to listen to Dawood (AlayhiSalaam) singing in the aakhirah. He said there will be further rewards as well, but I'll tell you only one this because I haven't yet looked up the authenticity of this report.
How did you give it up brother?

Marina-Aisha
05-21-2012, 10:19 AM
Hahhaha I don't listen to pitbull, aload of rubbish. Yea I get bored on the bus or train so I like to listen to music when I'm out. I heard ur not suppose listen to the Quran when ur not concentrating to the verses that's why I don't listen to it. Cos my daughter distracts me a lot, I've tried downloading Islamic music but I don't know many and the only artist I have has one album so I get bored after a while.

Hulk
05-22-2012, 05:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by marina-hadeya
Hahhaha I don't listen to pitbull, aload of rubbish. Yea I get bored on the bus or train so I like to listen to music when I'm out. I heard ur not suppose listen to the Quran when ur not concentrating to the verses that's why I don't listen to it. Cos my daughter distracts me a lot, I've tried downloading Islamic music but I don't know many and the only artist I have has one album so I get bored after a while.
Hehe alhamdulillah no pitbull! Anyway I am unsure as to the ruling about "not suppose to listen to Quran when you're not concentrating". I can understand in terms of adab for example if people are talking in a moving vehicle and the radio suddenly plays a sura from the Quran then it is proper adab to stop talking and listen. I really don't know the ruling on this, however, why not listen to tafsir of the Quran?

There are a lot by Nouman Ali Khan, free and available for download! Or if you are like me you can learn a new language, if you can manage to find some audio files about learning a new language you can listen while you commute!

Anyway I just came across this video which I would like to share, I haven't watched till the end and I don't think it is specifically talking about music but I think it can be applied.

'Abd Al-Maajid
05-22-2012, 10:29 AM
Music these days all about half naked girls dancing :exhausted

~ Sabr ~
05-22-2012, 10:40 AM
Music these days all about half naked girls dancing :exhausted
Don't watch it then lol. Don't listen to it either InshaAllaah :skeleton:

format_quote Originally Posted by Haafizah
How did you give it up brother Hulk?
........?

'Abd Al-Maajid
05-22-2012, 10:50 AM
Don't watch it then lol. Don't listen to it either InshaAllaah
I dont watch it anyway. And I dont believe that the music these days are intoxicating our minds, the mainstream genres and most of the mainstream artists are crap.

After all, has any one here felt intoxicated while listening to music?

~ Sabr ~
05-22-2012, 10:55 AM
^ No, but when you listen to songs that reflect your mood, you delve into that mood more, so YES, it does intoxicate your mood a little.

Periwinkle18
05-22-2012, 11:26 AM
it just gets stuck in ur head n bothers u all day thts all :P

Imaduddin
05-22-2012, 02:08 PM
Assalamu Alaykum. I used to listen to music at times until I didn't know it was haram. Once I learned that it was I stopped listening to it and began listening ang memorizing Qur'an. I substituted something worthless for something of great value, The Words of Allah.

The Qur'an has it's own tone and melody, it surpasses all kinds of singing and music. If anyone really wants to stop then listen and read Qur'an.

There are islamic songs which are nice, but beware of those who have music. Making an Islamic song and associating music to it doesn't make the music halal it is still haram.

In one of the other pages someone had asked about how it intoxicates you, it prevents you from listening to the Qur'an. It prevents you from mentioning Allah and you find it difficult to stop listening to it. That's the intoxication. It prevents you from giving due value to that which is valuable (Allah and his deen) it blurs your abilities in realizing that the Qur'an is very important.

And if music was so special then surely the Qur'an would have been recited along side some music and not plainly as it is.

Allah knows best, I hope what I have said is helpful.

Hulk
05-22-2012, 02:19 PM
Sis Haafizah I sorry I must have missed your question I thought you asked bro Ali :statisfie

I come from a very musical background, started playing an instrument at a young age when I picked it up after being inspired after watching someone close to me play it with such skill. When I entered my teen years I used that skill to play in public performances. I was very "cocky" because at that time I was a better player than most my age but at the same time I put me in a position where I can see the affects of music on individuals and in groups, whether mainstream or not.

I guess you can say that I find it easier to avoid because most of the music out there is sickening at least to me. Still I do not hold the opinion that all forms of music is haram. As bro cosmic mentioned before there are many things that can be defined as music. To me it is a form of pleasure for the ears but like all pleasures there are good forms and bad forms. There are good things for our eyes and bad, good things for our tongues and bad, good smells and bad. We can't really put music on the same level as those however because we know that music is on a whole other level.

If you want to quit listening to music my advice is to narrow down the type of music you listen to and then slowly stop listening altogether. Avoid the situations where you usually end up listening to music or substitute them. If you listen to music while commuting try listening to something else that you think is worth your memory.

I picked up mandarin on my way to work :D

~ Sabr ~
05-22-2012, 02:24 PM
^ Jazaak Allaah Khayr!

I picked up mandarin on my way to work :D
Oh the randomness :popcorn:

Ali_008
05-23-2012, 07:46 PM
How did you give it up brother?
When I started paying attention to the fact that music is actually disturbing my Salaah, I decided that a 5 minute joy is leading me towards an eternity of punishment. So with that thought in mind, I stopped listening to any and all sorts of music altogether. There was no step by step method involved. I just quit playing wherever I used to. Alhamdulillah, it has gotten easier with time.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!