/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Too open minded?

Ğħαrєєвαħ
04-18-2012, 02:35 PM
AsSalaamu Alaaykum,

Is too much open mindedness considered okay? or perhaps a lil extreme in a way? excuse me for not making sense..

Say for example a father whose never told his daughter to wear the hijaab, and mentions how it's the daughter choice to wear it one day, out of her choice, and also considers the hijaab to be strict..

Is this too open mindedness? Why is that when you try to implement the sunnah it's supposedly strict, even extreme..

I understand Allaah SWT does make our deen easy for us, but that is a different of course, one does something at their own pace, it can be difficult, no one need's to force or use harshness with the other during the process..
However, you can apply the teachings of the prophet (pbuh) with the best of ways..

So what are your thoughts?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Who Am I?
04-18-2012, 03:17 PM
:sl:

Open-mindedness is a good thing, but be careful with it. Just don't be so open-minded that you believe everything that you are told. Listen to new ideas, and consider them, but do your own research before believing.

ardianto
04-18-2012, 03:25 PM
There is difference between open minds and uncontrolled minds.

Dagless
04-18-2012, 04:12 PM
I'm pretty open minded about open mindedness.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Scimitar
04-18-2012, 04:32 PM
i used to be open minded...

but my brains kept falling out.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
04-18-2012, 04:44 PM
Jazakallaahu Khaayr for the responses..

I think maybe i mixed the word up with something else.

I think what I meant is that there are people (preferably muslims) who would say there's no need for hijaab, because today's world is different from 1400 years ago. Or another example is since today's fashion is to wear 'skinny jeans' or many other things, and that it is better adapting to the world, the people, the time were in etc. These are usually individual's who have not studied the deen as far as i know.

But as muslims we'd be applying all that the prophet (pbuh) taught..

What I'm saying is that the Qur'aan is for all generations, all times.

Yes, to some extent we should move along with the time, but there are limit's..

I think br. Ardianto is correct, maybe it's the uncontrolled minds.

hmm, I hope this thread hasn't confused up anyone :hiding:

Endymion
04-18-2012, 05:02 PM
I think both the behaviors are wrong whether you impose the teachings of Islam on your kids or give them a free will and expect them to follow it one day.Parents should be a role model for kids.They should convince and motivate kids toward the beautiful teachings of Islam both by practicing and by telling them verbally.
In my society,majority of parents compel their daughters to wear hijab and never tell them the benefits of it and the teachings of Islam towards it.In a result,girls accept it as something they are bound to wear and unpleasant thing and some girls truly hate it but when these girls become mature and come to their deeyn,they begin to love the same hijab they used to hate.
Its actually the people who want to build our character are not capable of it.They need to first become stable persons themselves and then try to build another brain.

Insaanah
04-18-2012, 06:54 PM
:sl: sis

format_quote Originally Posted by Ğħαrєєвαħ
Say for example a father whose never told his daughter to wear the hijaab, and mentions how it's the daughter choice to wear it one day, out of her choice, and also considers the hijaab to be strict..

Is this too open mindedness? Why is that when you try to implement the sunnah it's supposedly strict, even extreme..
Really good question.

I'd say people aren't thinking straight.

That father considers hijaab to be strict.

Does that father put his wealth, money, bank cards, cheque book, or his PIN numbers etc on open display? I bet he wouldn't, because his money is dear to him, and he doesn't want anyone taking advantage of his hard earned money by stealing it. If someone told him you're being too strict by protecting your PIN number and by making sure others can't see your credit cards and cheque book, and you need to more open minded, he'd say they were foolish. Yet our daughters are more precious than all the money in the world. But it's ok for them to be on open display, and it doesn't matter if someone takes free advantage of them by their possibly being eye candy for some folk (and that's at the very least)... subhaanallah.. it just doesn't make sense.

Aprender
04-18-2012, 08:21 PM
Yeah.

I think one can be too "open-minded" when it comes to the deen. I suppose that's the danger of living among the kaffir for too long and not learning about and trying to implement Islam into daily life properly. At that point following the religion seems to be something that is "strict" or abnormal which is unfortunate to hear Muslims say this.

You know it goes too far when they start to open up gay mosques, and imams allow Christians to hold Easter services in the masjid in an effort to "modernize" or "create peace among the religions". You don't do that by sacrificing the deen. You give a little, you'll give a little bit more each time until you have nothing left.

It's unfortunate.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
04-18-2012, 09:53 PM
AsSalaamu Alaaykum,

format_quote Originally Posted by Endymion
I think both the behaviors are wrong whether you impose the teachings of Islam on your kids or give them a free will and expect them to follow it one day.Parents should be a role model for kids.They should convince and motivate kids toward the beautiful teachings of Islam both by practicing and by telling them verbally.
completely agree with you! What way is more better than implementing it yourself.

format_quote Originally Posted by Insaanah
:sl: sis

Really good question.

I'd say people aren't thinking straight.

That father considers hijaab to be strict.

Does that father put his wealth, money, bank cards, cheque book, or his PIN numbers etc on open display? I bet he wouldn't, because his money is dear to him, and he doesn't want anyone taking advantage of his hard earned money by stealing it. If someone told him you're being too strict by protecting your PIN number and by making sure others can't see your credit cards and cheque book, and you need to more open minded, he'd say they were foolish. Yet our daughters are more precious than all the money in the world. But it's ok for them to be on open display, and it doesn't matter if someone takes free advantage of them by their possibly being eye candy for some folk (and that's at the very least)... subhaanallah.. it just doesn't make sense.
Wa Alaaykum As'Salaam,

JazaakiAllaah khaayr, a great example

I guess there are many individuals who lack the complete knowledge and feel free to understand or implement deen as they will..

such as anti-islamists or other individuals who believe whatever. it doesn't make sense at all and Allaah knows best.

format_quote Originally Posted by Aprender
Yeah.

I think one can be too "open-minded" when it comes to the deen. I suppose that's the danger of living among the kaffir for too long and not learning about and trying to implement Islam into daily life properly. At that point following the religion seems to be something that is "strict" or abnormal which is unfortunate to hear Muslims say this.

You know it goes too far when they start to open up gay mosques, and imams allow Christians to hold Easter services in the masjid in an effort to "modernize" or "create peace among the religions". You don't do that by sacrificing the deen. You give a little, you'll give a little bit more each time until you have nothing left.

It's unfortunate.
jazaakiAllaah Khaayr, that's exactly what i'm sort of trying to say. But sad, that some of that is happening, but we must keep firm upon our deen.

as they say 'deen over dunya'..

Hulk
04-19-2012, 01:55 AM
In the interest of adab I believe it's a matter of when and where to say certain things, and of course how it is said.

ardianto
04-19-2012, 03:35 AM
I think what I meant is that there are people (preferably muslims) who would say there's no need for hijaab, because today's world is different from 1400 years ago. Or another example is since today's fashion is to wear 'skinny jeans' or many other things, and that it is better adapting to the world, the people, the time were in etc. These are usually individual's who have not studied the deen as far as i know
This is not open minded but uncontrolled minded. They must be know that wear hijab is mandatory for women, but their desire to wordly pleasure makes their minds lost control.

Open minded people are people who view something through wider perspective, but they are still able to control their minds.

I give an example of open minded. A sister saw tight clothing women who used strong perfume in masjid. She was shocked and asked why there were women like them in masjid.

Okay, we analysis this case with open mind. Those women did not dressed properly. But where were they? ... in masjid!. And where were other Muslim women? ... in mall, in cafe, gathered with friends and gossiping other people. Which better? the women who were in masjid, of course, although they did not dressed properly, because they were already stepping their feet on the right way.

Yes, they did not dressed properly. But if we see them with open mind, we would know those women did not dressed properly because they did not know yet. So, let them dressed like that in masjid, and then we teach them how to dressed properly. Of course, we cannot let them dressed like that forever. If we forbid them to come to masjid because they dressed like that, they would not come to masjid, but would go to other places.

We should become open minded people, but we must always able to control our mind. Or, we would turn into uncontrolled minded people.

TrueStranger
04-19-2012, 04:09 AM
There are two extremes, those who are too open-minded and those who are too close-minded. Some people are too lenient when it comes to the fundamental aspects of their religion, and some are too strict when it comes to the basics of the deen. When presented with two options they will constantly take the one that is more difficult and they want everyone to accept their views and only their views. I try to stay away from both groups.

I have seen people who grew up wearing the Hijab since the age of 7, but ended up taking it off once they grew up. I have seen people who started wearing the Hijab late in their teens and continue to wear it. There are also those who wore it throughout their whole life, and those who never wore it during their lifetime. It’s by the Mercy and Guidance of Allah that certain individuals maintain their deen.

Parents should teach their children by example and reason. Force never works, the moment your authority weakens or disappears, everything turns upside down.

Aysha (R.A) said "Whenever the Prophet (pbuh) had to choose between two options, he always opted for the easier choice." [Al-Bukhari]

Ğħαrєєвαħ
04-19-2012, 01:15 PM
Jazakallaahu Khaayr once again for your kind responses.

Also I am aware what open minded is, but is there such a thing as too open minded? if so, can there be a 'bad open minded'..?

ardianto
04-19-2012, 02:19 PM
Also I am aware what open minded is, but is there such a thing as too open minded? if so, can there be a 'bad open minded'..?
There is no too open minded. Open minded people receive inputs from every direction without any 'wall' that blocks these inputs come to his mind. Then he process these inputs in his mind and produce an output.

If someone makes bad output, this is not because he open his mind then receive bad input, but because he cannot process the inputs properly. He cannot remove the bad and keep only the good. If someone can control his mind, he would be able to remove the bad and keep only the good, then produce good output.

We can block bad input if we close our minds. However, it would makes us cannot receive good input too. So, we should open our minds, but we must able to control the process, remove the bad, keep only the good, and produce good output.

Who Am I?
04-19-2012, 03:05 PM
Jazakallaahu Khaayr once again for your kind responses.

I think as long as you do not just automatically accept and believe whatever you hear or read, then it is fine.

ardianto
04-19-2012, 03:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Who Am I?
I think as long as you do not just automatically accept and believe whatever you hear or read, then it is fine.
Although I am not an English speaker, i think there is difference between "receive" and "accept". "Receive" is related to input, this is automatically. "Accept" is related to output, this not not automatically.

If we hear an opinion, our mind receive it automatically as input. Then we process this opinion in our mind, can we agree with this or not. If we agree, the output of our mind is "accept this opinion". If we disagree, the output is "do not accept".

PS: Please correct me if I am wrong in distinguish between "receive" and "accept". English is not my first language.

Who Am I?
04-19-2012, 07:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
Although I am not an English speaker, i think there is difference between "receive" and "accept". "Receive" is related to input, this is automatically. "Accept" is related to output, this not not automatically.

If we hear an opinion, our mind receive it automatically as input. Then we process this opinion in our mind, can we agree with this or not. If we agree, the output of our mind is "accept this opinion". If we disagree, the output is "do not accept".

PS: Please correct me if I am wrong in distinguish between "receive" and "accept". English is not my first language.
You got it pretty much right on, dude.

Fiona
04-20-2012, 03:32 AM
AsSalaamu Alaaykum,

Is too much open mindedness considered okay? or perhaps a lil extreme in a way? excuse me for not making sense..

I understand Allaah SWT does make our deen easy for us, but that is a different of course, one does something at their own pace, it can be difficult, no one need's to force or use harshness with the other during the process..
However, you can apply the teachings of the prophet (pbuh) with the best of ways..

So what are your thoughts?
Walaikum salam, sister. I do not think that the father's views about hijab and his not being strict with it has anything to do with open-mindedness. I wouldn't say that because he doesn't follow the sunnah strictly, he is "too open-minded". That is just his opinion. People may have liberal views but that doesn't mean they are open-minded. They are just views, in my view. Just opinions, in my opinion. Sorry, if I don't make sense. LOL. ;D

tigerkhan
04-20-2012, 05:10 AM
well i think these are all our excuses for not following Islam...some say i am open minded,other i am moderate etc etc...i blv what we need to see is ruling of islam about any matter. eg in case of hijab for a daughter, we need to follow the commandment to save ur family from hell fire...but at the same time we should not forgot commandment regarding being gentle and soft.
so i think if someone ask whether ur r open minded, fundamentalist blah blah..simple answer is i am a Muslim.

American
04-20-2012, 08:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Who Am I?

Open-mindedness is a good thing, but be careful with it. Just don't be so open-minded that you believe everything that you are told. Listen to new ideas, and consider them, but do your own research before believing.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Being open minded leads to new knowledge, but don't take what others say as truth. Figure it out yourself.

Who Am I?
04-20-2012, 03:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by American
Couldn't have said it better myself. Being open minded leads to new knowledge, but don't take what others say as truth. Figure it out yourself.
Sadly, this is really a lost art in today's society. I think that too many people don't really think for themselves anymore. They are too quick to automatically trust that anything they hear and see in the media and in the government is true. Just look at the typical Western attitude towards Islam, for example.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!