/* */

PDA

View Full Version : My sons hair

Marina-Aisha
04-21-2012, 10:06 AM
So I've searched I couldn't find anything on the subject, is okay for me braid my sons hair?Wots Islamic view on this?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ardianto
04-21-2012, 10:31 AM
Assalamualaikum.

If braid your son's hair makes him look like a girl, it's impermissible. Men are not allowed to imitate women, women are not allowed to imitate men.

Marina-Aisha
04-21-2012, 11:09 AM
Well I knew that but when u braid boys hair its different soo does that still apply?

ardianto
04-21-2012, 11:48 AM
Maybe other member can answer your question.

I cannot find a reference too. :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Banu_Hashim
04-21-2012, 02:32 PM
I don't see it as a problem. Is there anything prohibitng braiding of one's hair for males? If not then it's fine.

In fact, according to this the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم) himself would put his hair in four braids when he grew it long!

It's good to look after your hair inshaAllah as indeed it is a blessing! :)

waAllahu 'Alam.

Marina-Aisha
04-22-2012, 09:41 AM
Oh okay cool thank you for all your help guys :)

~Raindrop~
04-22-2012, 10:44 AM
To clarify: the Prophet :saws: did not 'braid' his hair, but at times when he was on a long journey and hadn't combed it for some time his hair would form four locks. A less extreme, watered-down version of the dreadlocks some people have. This is what has been mentioned in the ahadith.

Braiding is a predominately feminine style hence I'd be wary of styling boys hair the same way.

And Allah knows best.

TrueStranger
04-22-2012, 10:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aisha
To clarify: the Prophet :saws: did not 'braid' his hair, but at times when he was on a long journey and hadn't combed it for some time his hair would form four locks. A less extreme, watered-down version of the dreadlocks some people have. This is what has been mentioned in the ahadith.

Braiding is a predominately feminine style hence I'd be wary of styling boys hair the same way.

And Allah knows best.
Braiding in some cultures is both masculine and feminine. It really depends on the culture that is in question here.

Rhubarb Tart
04-22-2012, 10:52 AM
Afro Carribean and Africans men braid their hair, and it is not necessarily dreadlocks either.

Attachment 4787

Attachment 4788

And they have been doing it longer then anyone can possibly imagine. Im not saying if it is haram or halal.

Periwinkle18
04-22-2012, 10:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by TrueStranger
Braiding in some cultures is both masculine and feminine. It really depends on the culture that is in question here.
hmm buh usually women braid there hair only african men braid their hair or make dreadlocks... duno if its allowed or not for men buh if it imitate women then its not allowed

Periwinkle18
04-22-2012, 10:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by TrueStranger
hmm buh usually women braid there hair only african men braid their hair or make dreadlocks... duno if its allowed or not for men buh if it imitate women then its not allowed

Banu_Hashim
04-22-2012, 03:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aisha

And Allah knows best.
It really depends on the intention of the person. But from an Islamic legal point or view, is having long hair for men haram? No. And one way of caring for your hair is keeping it neat and tidy by keeping it together in a pony tail or by other means. I think the way a man dresses can be far more indicative of him acting in an effeminate manner. And it all comes down to culture of the person and environment as Shaykh Ibn Uthaymeen (rahmatullahu 'alayh) said.

And to the OP: InshaAllah your son will have a beard one day so there'll be no confusion that he is not trying to "imitate females" (which I don't think having long hair or braiding it does anyway).

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!