/* */

PDA

View Full Version : So how do you study?

Yanal
04-22-2012, 06:18 AM
:sl:

How do you guys study? How do you find the motivation within yourself to sit down and just study? Any special techniques that help you?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
tango92
04-22-2012, 09:35 AM
think about the consequences of the future.

if you think something shocking like "my parents are getting old, if i dont get a good job i wont be able to support them hence i am an oppressor" - that does it for me aA

and to many an extent it is true

jellybeans
06-25-2012, 03:06 PM
I prefer to make notes and learn them... There is not shortcut to study--rember that.

Copy notes you made in class/lectures, so they are readible (copying will aid you in memorization).

Then set an alarm clock for half an hour, and memorize your work with any method you like (it is just like memorizing the Koran/Bible). After half and hour, you have to do a progress check--did you learn any thing... or didn't it go to well... IF it didn't go well, then you take a differnet piece you have to learn and come back to the other piece later.

Now you are entitled to a 5-10 minute break--set a timer for this, too so you DO NOT go over your limit.

If you aren't good at mindmaps, then I don't recommend you try them--I have tried them and they are frustrating--just my opinion. Mindmaps make your page beautiful, but don't help you learn... Like I said--> there is NO short-cut to study.

If you have to give up time with friends to study, then don't feel sad--it is one of those sacrifices that turn out to be the best option for you.

The best study technique I have ever used, is to visualise what you are studying. Paint pictures of the facts in your head--even if they are silly--and you will be amazed at your abillities.

Another trick is read the Bible/Quran. God will unlock your mind! :) I am not joking.
I pray God will help you with all your studies. I am on holiday now, but I will also be studying soon, so pray for me, too.

Matthew 7:7 "ask [God] and you shall receive; knock and the door will be opened to you".

Matthew 6:33 "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Asiyah3
06-25-2012, 03:09 PM
Once you get used to studying, it will be hard to pass a day without learning any new information or opening the books.

Start from what interests you, write notes or use any other study styles you enjoy (watching lectures, drawing what you read, summarizing etc.).

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muhaba
06-25-2012, 09:18 PM
first i get this feeling that i can't do it, like it's too difficult or there isn't enough time. this is a constrickening feeling, like the burden is too much to bear. then there is a rush to get the job done and i might sit hours studying. and alhamdulillah, with Allah's Help I am able to study within the time limit.

of course, I am thankful to Allah that my response to that feeling is positive. some might give up when they feel they can't do it or there isn't enough time.

dqsunday
06-25-2012, 09:58 PM
How I study all depends on what I am studying. different techniques work better with certain subjects. When it comes to strict memorization of facts, writing it down in point form helps. Then just spending time reading it over and over, focusing on what I am reading and doing my best not to let my mind wander.

Setting up a schedule helps. Short blocks of time work, say half hour or so with a short break between. I find its best to get up and do something active, be it just walk around the house or outside. Avoid looking at tv etc as the main idea is to relax your eyes. This helps relief eye strain over long periods of studying and walking for me anyway, gives me more time to mentally 'digest' what I read/learned.

Finding practice questions help too, or getting a fellow student or even family member who knows the subject too, can quiz you to see how much you retained.

Queue cards are useful too if you are studying something that has definitions/answers or to recognize an image or phrase and have to identify the meaning or details of it (ie if you are doing Art History, attaching photocopies of the pictures onto one side of a queue card with the information of the piece of art on the other side. This way yu can mix them up and hold one up, then see if you can remember the name of the artwork, who painted it, etc. I used tihs technique in art history, it was very helpful.

Keep in mind we all learn in different ways and at different rates. Some may find copying their notes by hand works far better than just typing them up and reading over and over. Some are good with acrynoms which can trigger remembering detailed info about the topic.

There was a course that came out way back when i was in college called 'Be a Master Student' which was all about different ways to study and organize oneself. Not sure if its around anymore but the text/workbook may still be available. Or be in an online version.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!