/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used the potters wheel??

Periwinkle18
04-24-2012, 01:58 PM
:sl:

so has anyone used it??

I did n it was Awesum it was really hard at first buh then i got the hang of it, its really good for those ppl who get mad easily n r frustrated... :p

its so soothing m glad my boss told me im gng to b teaching kids pottery :p it just makes u forget abt eveything n concentrate. subhanAllah its amazing.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ramadan90
04-24-2012, 01:59 PM
It looks exciting. I will do that one day inshallah... :D

Periwinkle18
04-24-2012, 02:04 PM
srsly at first i was like wht i;ve got so much work now i hav to learn pottery buh it was so good at first its really hard esp the centering part it takes time to master it buh alhumdulillah i learnt it in one day just hav to practice though :) n then u can take ur anger out by pressing it down n then finally once its centered using ur thumbs to make an opening :) its fun n u get really messy too cuz the clay flies everywhere :p

hmm if possible i mite take a few pics of the bowls i make n post them here

Ramadan90
04-24-2012, 02:10 PM
LOL, it doesnt look easy at all but practice makes perfect I guess. :p

I would like to see some pics of your "masterpiece".;D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Periwinkle18
04-24-2012, 02:14 PM
lol m not a master just took my first class today buh i learn v quickly :p i've got to master it till friday cuz the kids r gng to b learning frm me, wish i had a potters wheel at home

Sunnie Ameena
04-24-2012, 03:12 PM
I always wanted to try it. It looks like it could be very relaxing.

ardianto
04-24-2012, 05:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Periwinkle18
so has anyone used it??
Patrick Swayze and Demi Moore use it in "Ghost".

GodIsAll
04-24-2012, 05:25 PM
so has anyone used it??
Yes...quite poorly.

Periwinkle18
04-24-2012, 05:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
use it in "Ghost".
lol whts tht??

Periwinkle18
04-24-2012, 05:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by GodIsAll
Yes...quite poorly.
really hows ur centering?? wht do u do wen its wobbly?

GodIsAll
04-24-2012, 05:36 PM
It's been years.
You'd need to talk to my younger brother: A huge, hairy garguantian man who was an All-Pac 10 center at Oregon St. He's an amazing ceramics guy.

GodIsAll
04-24-2012, 05:37 PM
wht do u do wen its wobbly?
If I remember correctly, I sped up the revolutions, splattering wet, muddy clay all over the walls.

Periwinkle18
04-24-2012, 05:47 PM
^ the problem is tht the wheel i hav in skool is for lil kids n it does not hav speed control so its kinda hard buh alhumdulillah i can center the clay the only prob is wobbling, does ur bro hav any videos made so i can see how he does it?? usually everyone has there own way buh still i just wanna see

dqsunday
04-24-2012, 07:13 PM
I used a potter's wheel long time ago, wasn't too bad at it. I found centering worked best when digging elbows into your side to brace your arms so they won't end up moving all over the place. Another thing I noticed, it wears off the skin of the side of your hands pretty fast, so might want to do only a little at a time, to avoid sore hands. Especially if you are using a coarse grade clay (ie teracotta or stoneware). I miss working in clay... I should look into getting back into it sometime again, Inshallah.

Who Am I?
04-24-2012, 08:48 PM

"Ghost" is a terrible, terrible love story movie. Don't ever watch it. I lost a little respect for Patrick Swayze after I saw that movie. Part of me died that day... :embarrass

I want to see pictures of periwinkle's pottery prowess*...

*I think I just came up with the name of your class, peri....

sis muslimah
04-24-2012, 08:57 PM
ah i always wanted to try that :D looks hard but fun =)

Periwinkle18
04-25-2012, 11:03 AM
my arms hurt :( i used the wheel early in the morning n practised centering for 2 or more hours. duno y my arms r shaking :p i just couldnt concentrate today :S

Periwinkle18
04-25-2012, 11:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by dqsunday
I used a potter's wheel long time ago, wasn't too bad at it. I found centering worked best when digging elbows into your side to brace your arms so they won't end up moving all over the place. Another thing I noticed, it wears off the skin of the side of your hands pretty fast, so might want to do only a little at a time, to avoid sore hands. Especially if you are using a coarse grade clay (ie teracotta or stoneware). I miss working in clay... I should look into getting back into it sometime again, Inshallah.
yes i am using teracotta clay n the sides of my hands do hurt its cuz of the wheel...

Periwinkle18
04-25-2012, 11:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Who Am I?

"Ghost" is a terrible, terrible love story movie. Don't ever watch it. I lost a little respect for Patrick Swayze after I saw that movie. Part of me died that day... :embarrass

I want to see pictures of periwinkle's pottery prowess*...

*I think I just came up with the name of your class, peri....
hmm i dun watch movies n am planning not to watch any

lol good one :p

buh im praying tht the old pottery teacher comes back soon,, i like pottery buh its v tiring n m kinda weak my arms start hurting badly :p today was horrible my mind was sumwhere else couldnt concentrate at all was too worried abt the forgiveness presentation duno how i'll tell the kids

Periwinkle18
04-27-2012, 10:58 AM
ok guys so im not a pro or anything i made these yest, my arms hurt so much n i cut my finger on the wheel today :S lemme know wht u guys think??

Endymion
04-27-2012, 12:06 PM
Not bad and specially when you are new at it,its cool :statisfie Give me the big one i'll grow rose plants in it :statisfie

Periwinkle18
04-27-2012, 02:59 PM
sure take it just get it fired in a kiln :p

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!