/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How can parents allow..

User29123
04-25-2012, 04:19 PM
How can parents allow..child marriages?

This happens a lot in countries like Pakistan, Bangladesh and other Asian countries, I find it disgusting the A) the government don't do nothing and B) Parents actually allow it. Why the hell do people do this? It has been on news a few times in the past few days.

Even some middle east countries (Yemen, Saudi A) allow child marriages and have no age restrictions set. WHY?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ramadan90
04-25-2012, 04:30 PM
As long as they have hit the puberty I dont see why it is a problem. If the children have not hit puberty then it is of course wrong.

TrueStranger
04-25-2012, 04:40 PM
I guess those parents think that as long as their child hit puberty they are capable of getting married and raising a family. It's usually girls who are married at a young age to men that are at least twice their age. I don't agree with it, but I guess if they have to change, it has to come from within.

User29123
04-25-2012, 04:50 PM
Well I can understand in countries like Pakistan, Bangladesh they are poor and less educated but in Middle-East education is good, they must be crazy or mentally stupid to allow child marriages.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
GuestFellow
04-25-2012, 09:15 PM
I have no idea.

dqsunday
04-26-2012, 10:52 PM
A touchy subject, but in truth, it wasn't all that long ago even in Western society, women were married not long after they hit puberty. As soon as a girl menstruated they were married off, often to men older then they are but not always. The US, UK, Canada and other nations changed the rules about what age is legal to marry and to have sex. In Canada, if I recall correctly age of consent is 14. (Or maybe its just Ontario, I can't recall right now) the US and UK I think is 16. Average age for menstruation typically is 12-13 years of age but it can occur as early as 8 years old to as late as 16.

On a personal note, I don't think its good to marry girls off at such a young age. The body just isn't fully mature even if capable of carrying a child to term. Much better to wait till after 16. Nothing wrong with having them betrothed but not married till the girl is 16 or older.

Hulk
04-26-2012, 11:00 PM
People don't get that today's society is not the same as those of past generations.

جوري
04-26-2012, 11:13 PM
It is funny.. I was just reading about this today:

Indian woman Laxmi Sargara, 18, holds her certificate of the annullment of her marriage outside the court in Jodhpur on April 24, 2012. (STR/AFP/Getty Images)

Laxmi Sargara was only a year old when her parents married her to 3-year-old Rakesh. Nearly two decades later, the Indian woman successfully had the marriage annulled in what is considered a landmark judiciary case, Agence France Presse reports.
According to the BBC, Sargara learnt about the marriage only this month, when her in-laws came to take her back to their family home.
"I was unhappy about the marriage,” Sargara told AFP. “I told my parents who did not agree with me, then I sought help."
The bride turned to a social worker in her hometown Jodhpur and managed to convince her husband, Rakesh, to have the marriage declared void.
"It is the first example we know of a couple wed in childhood wanting the marriage to be annulled, and we hope that others take inspiration from it," social worker Kriti Bharti told AFP.
Child marriage is illegal in India under the country's Prohibition of Child Marriage Act, yet the practice is common in poorer regions -- such as Sargara's home province Rajasthan -- the BBC reports.
Indu Chopra, a program director of the woman and child development department of Rajasthan state, explained to CNN that child marriages are a "social agreement, a document endorsed by witnesses, lawyers from both sides and attested legally," yet not a marriage legal under Indian law.

In a recent report, UNICEF says 47 percent of Indian women between the ages of 20 and 24 were married before the age of 18.
“Child marriage is linked to poverty, lack of education and, above all, to the entrenched social norms that push parents to marry their daughters off early,” said UNICEF Representative for India Karin Hulshof on the organization's website.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...6pLid%3D155618

I don't know how to feel about this.. I'd like it to be treated on a case by case basis..

Muslim Woman
04-27-2012, 01:58 AM
:sl:

in my country , under 18 is considered as child. So , legally a parent can't arrange marriage for thier 17 + daughter ; but law does not forbid a girl to roam with boyfriends .

in many cases , school girls become pregnant and in the name of MR , they go for abortion , Astagferullah. It's the curse of the so called modern society.

In this time , when media encourage our youth to be shameless and have relationship outside marriage , I see no problem if parents arraagne marriage for the daughters at young age.

If possible , they should encourage sons to get married whenever they start earning . It will help them not to commit adultery.

People and mdia normally condemn early marriage but they don't give solution how to protect our children from the evil of free society.

PS. I just saw doc sis's post . NO , I m not talking about 1 or 2 /3 year old girl's maariage.

جوري
04-27-2012, 02:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Woman
People and media normally condemn early marriage but they don't give solution how to protect our children from the evil of free society.
I agree with you.. it is unfortunate but their solutions here at least are with surrogacy (in India), sperm banks, homosexual relations etc.
By the time people in the west are financially secure and they want to focus on a relationship the ship has pretty much sailed...

Hijabi3256
04-27-2012, 05:36 AM
So wrong

Hulk
04-27-2012, 06:28 AM
The issue is that people assume that a society can work by simply "picking and choosing" which laws of Sharia they want to follow. There is a lot of pre-requisites and if you are going to implement Sharia then you have to implemented it in its entirety and even before that you need a society that has sufficient knowledge with the correct worldview. The problem with a lot of "muslim" countries today is that they claim to be a muslim nation but you will find that in their media are content that poisons the mind.

People in the past were able to marry at a young age because they grew up fast both physically and mentally. Today we have companies that thrive on profiteering from a child's nafs(desires;not direct meaning). It's a strange kind of brainwashing.

~ Sabr ~
04-27-2012, 07:04 AM
:salamext:

Maybe they don't have enough education?

Cabdullahi
04-27-2012, 08:26 AM
maybe society babifies young adults

If you are physically ready, a level of maturity should be there as a part and parcel of growing up.

When does one become physically ready? when she can conceive and he can produce semen?

What makes the young adults of before different to the young adults of today?

Why is a 17 year old hussein, who has broad shoulders and stubble that you can light a match stick with, so babyish he gets upset when his older siblings eat the sweets and chocolates his mum hid for him in the kitchen cabinets.

sister herb
04-27-2012, 01:25 PM
I think in some countries old traditions and local culture is much more important to people (not only for those whose are poor but also educated onces) than rules of religion. Parents of child might not make decision of marriage of they child but grandparents and all community. People there might really feel they just make a service to they children when match them at very young age.

GodIsAll
04-27-2012, 01:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by dqsunday
The body just isn't fully mature even if capable of carrying a child to term.
Nor is the mind...

GodIsAll
04-27-2012, 01:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hulk
People in the past were able to marry at a young age because they grew up fast both physically and mentally
I think a lot of marrying earlier in days past was because they had to...being that humans did not live near as long as we do today. Humans had to procreate earlier to maintain the human population.

Now, we have more time. I didn't get married until I was 30. My wife? 34. Best decision I ever made, too.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!