/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Well, it turns out I am a black man.

GodIsAll
05-01-2012, 07:29 PM
My father has always been fascinated with genetics and geneology. For as long as they've been in existence, he has wanted to have his DNA analyzed for heritage. He talks about it all the time. My reply is always, well, go have it done. He says he is going to, but never does. Getting my father to part with money is next to impossible.
So, this past Christmas (yeah, yeah, I know...but not right now, okay?) I bought him a DNA test kit from this lab in Ohio. He was ecstatic, like a little boy receiving his first bicycle.
Weeks pass and his wife calls me (they live 18 hours away) and says: "You've got to talk to your dad, he's driving these people crazy at the Ohio lab. He calls them at least twice a day, trying to get his results". So, he's excited and patience was never one of his virtues.
After several weeks, he calls me. The results are in. 79% European decent of various ethnicities...we expected that. All of his side of the family has blue or green eyes. The other 21%? SubSaharan African.
Now, I think its pretty cool, actually, but Dad? He's always been just a touch racist. Got what he deserved, didn't he?

I told this story to one of my black coworkers. He went CRAZY! "I knew it! I knew! I knew you had too much soul!" He thought it was great.

Anyway, signing off.
Your black but didn't know it friend,
GIA

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
~ Sabr ~
05-01-2012, 07:38 PM
Lol, Erm don't really know what to make of this thread? :exhausted

GodIsAll
05-01-2012, 07:50 PM
I read somewhere that the average Caucasian in America tests out to have 2-3% African heritage when the DNA is tested. Dad, obviously is way above that. What's odd is that no one in our large family exhibits any of the regular African features. We're a bunch of blue or green eyed, thin lipped, narrow nosed white people.
I did go back and look at some family photos of ancestors from the American civil war. In those photos, one can definitely see the African genetic influence in the features...no question.
Just interesting stuff and thought. I'd share.
Peace

Marina-Aisha
05-01-2012, 07:52 PM
Hahaha me tooooo interesting

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ar-RaYYan
05-01-2012, 07:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by GodIsAll
I told thus story to one of my black coworkers. He went CRAZY! "I knew it! I knew! I knew you had too much soul!"
Lol!

How is your dad feeling about this?

I always wanted to do those DNA test for heritage. It would be kind of cool finding out my lineage and who knows uncovering surprising results like your dad did :hiding:

dqsunday
05-01-2012, 08:33 PM
I am far to paranoid about where and who can have access to such DNA records once a person sends them in to these 'labs'. Wouldn't surprise me it ends up in some government/law enforcement agency as a way to have a DNA database to poll for genetic matches from open and cold cases.

Besides, that, very interesting to hear about your father's genetic background. I seem to recall hearing on some tv show that many US citizens have some African genetics in them...but when you think so many of us originally came from Europe or other countries, its not all that surprising. Other than the various First Nations who were in North American before it was 'discovered' most of us probably can trace our roots to either the thousands of slaves brought over or descents of the original settlers.

Scimitar
05-01-2012, 09:44 PM
This is just too funny :) bro, you sure did give your dad a frown for xmas lol...

except it was delayed... oh the frustration your father must have felt in waiting for the results... only to be told he's got black in him... class!

I bet that put a smile on your face. I know it would have put a smile on mine :)

Scimi

Hulk
05-01-2012, 10:51 PM
That sounds totally cooooool!

TrueStranger
05-01-2012, 11:42 PM
This reminded me of Dave Chappelle's Blind Racist black white Supremacist lol............

Abz2000
05-02-2012, 12:15 AM
O mankind! We created you from a single (pair) of a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes, that ye may know each other.
Verily the most honoured of you in the sight of God is (he who is) the most righteous of you.
And God has full knowledge and is well acquainted (with all things).
Quran 49:13

GodIsAll
05-02-2012, 01:34 AM
Amen, ABZ.

Dad's handling the data okay. Still shaking his head a bit, though, I think. Like I said, I think its fascinating.

I would have expected something different like this from my mother's side. She comes from a long line of bootleggers and French trappers. Mom passed last October, but I'll never do the DNA test. Who knows what I inherited from that side? Heck, I may be 2% caribou...or something.

Dad's side is more "aristocratic "...most of them are doctors and all are very sophisticated and well educated. This just proves you never know, do you?

Yeah, Americans. What a bunch of hybrid mutts we are! Not a pedigree in the whole nation. Our ancestors were kicked out of every decent civilization hundred of years ago. We ARE the wretched refuse!

joedawun
05-02-2012, 04:50 AM
Love this story, proof that when it all comes down to it, we are all one people, the human race. Time to wake up and start acting the part.

Cabdullahi
05-02-2012, 02:42 PM
In your face!...it burns doesn't it?

just kidding

aadil77
05-02-2012, 03:24 PM
this has to be the funniest thread title ever

Who Am I?
05-02-2012, 04:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by TrueStranger
This reminded me of Dave Chappelle's Blind Racist black white Supremacist lol............
Dislike. Dave Chappelle stole my joke. I had a running gag about a blind black guy in the KKK years before Dave Chappelle did.... :heated:

In other news, I am a reverse coconut. White on the outside, brown on the inside. I like Indian food, Indian women, watch cricket, and am learning Hindi.

Scimitar
05-02-2012, 04:34 PM
really?

Bro, I can speak that language quite well (mis-spent childhood watching bollywood movies - facepalm)

I'm a reverse coconut too... supposedly Indian, but whiter than some white folk... brown on the inside. (^5 bro slaps the palm) :D

Scimi

Who Am I?
05-02-2012, 04:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar
really?

Bro, I can speak that language quite well (mis-spent childhood watching bollywood movies - facepalm)

I'm a reverse coconut too... supposedly Indian, but whiter than some white folk... brown on the inside. (^5 bro slaps the palm) :D

Scimi
Well I ordered an English-language coursebook for Hindi speakers (I couldn't find a good Hindi language coursebook) and I have been trying to reverse-engineer it in order to learn Hindi. ;D

I also recently got into the 20/20 IPL cricket and watch a lot of cricket videos online. I am still learning the game.

Scimitar
05-02-2012, 05:18 PM
I'm a left handed spin bowler... catches 'em all out all the time (pun intended). ;D

if you need to practice - i'm here bro :)

Scimi

LauraS
05-02-2012, 06:21 PM
I did one of these tests last year! But I didn't get percentages, just my origins. Turns out I'm from "Haplogroup T2" and my ancestors came from the Middle East 20 000 years ago, interesting! :p Wish I'd got the percentage thing, it's so surprising what turns up. I roughly know my more recent ancestors, it seems like they were Normans. Isn't it strange you have great great great great etc grandparents and you have no idea what they looked like or what their lives were like, but they made you who you are!

czgibson
05-02-2012, 06:54 PM
Greetings,

Isn't it a widespread view that we all have African roots?

Peace

Scimitar
05-02-2012, 07:18 PM
I'm from Bani Adam.

it's enough for meeeeeeeee :D

Scimi

GodIsAll
05-03-2012, 06:30 PM
Update:

Dad called last night. I saw his number on the caller ID. I picked up the phone and said: "S'up, Cuz?"

I don't think he saw the humor...

Scimitar
05-03-2012, 06:37 PM
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

class, you prankster :D

Scimi

TrueStranger
05-03-2012, 09:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by GodIsAll
Update:

Dad called last night. I saw his number on the caller ID. I picked up the phone and said: "S'up, Cuz?"

I don't think he saw the humor...
LOL! His reply should have been "What'cha 'ya say boy?"

Give him time. ;D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!