/* */

PDA

View Full Version : This world is pointless!!!

GuestFellow
05-02-2012, 09:44 PM
:sl:

Got your attention. I want to share something.

Most of us spend hours worrying about our exams, future, looks, money, jobs and so on. What's the point? Once we die, we will leave everything behind, except for our good deeds and bad deeds. Why do some Muslims try to please other human beings so much?

It's ridiculous, considering that these people we try to please (peers, employers, parents), can never be truly satisfied. They will want more and make one mistake, most would completely turn against you. Why not use all that energy to please Allah? Allah does not care about our qualifications, status, looks and money. Not only the reward for pleasing Allah is eternal, but Allah has set down simple rules that are beneficial to us.

All this pressure from exams, job and society makes us tired and fed up. The simple rules set down by Allah actually help us. It would be better to put all of our efforts into pleasing Allah.

I'm not advocating for people to simply give up on their jobs and studies. Just saying that people should not worry too much about this world, because this will not last forever. Worry about what will happen after you die.

Your class, qualifications, looks, money and connections will not help you when your judged after you die. Like I said before, all you will take is your good deeds and bad deeds. You only have ONE chance to pass this test set down by Allah.

So to conclude, put all your effort in pleasing Allah.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Insaanah
05-02-2012, 09:54 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by Tragic Typos
It's ridiculous, considering that these people we try to please (peers, employers, parents), can never be truly satisfied. They will want more and make one mistake, most would completely turn against you. Why not use all that energy to please Allah?
Great post and good points made.

Just wanted to say that part of pleasing Allah and one of the biggest sources of reward from Allah, is pleasing the parents (as much as we are Islamically able). Even if they are not satisfied, we still have to do it to please Allah. So it wouldn't be a case of using that energy instead to please Allah because pleasing parents is one of the sources of pleasing Allah, if that makes sense.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
05-02-2012, 09:59 PM
Wa Alaaykum As'Salaam wa Rahmatullaah wa Barahkaatuh,

Jazakallaahu Khaayr for the reminder.

Unfortunately we get caught up with dunya and for some it can be hard to let go of, sadly.

It is the deen of Allaah that has kept us steadfast, in other words on our heels. Or else we are but failures in dunya and akhirah.

"Those who believed (in the Oneness of Allah - Islamic Monotheism), and whose hearts find rest in the remembrance of Allah: verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest ."[Al Qur'aan 13:28]

GuestFellow
05-02-2012, 10:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Insaanah

Great post and good points made.

Just wanted to say that part of pleasing Allah and one of the biggest sources of reward from Allah, is pleasing the parents (as much as we are Islamically able). Even if they are not satisfied, we still have to do it to please Allah. So it wouldn't be a case of using that energy instead to please Allah because pleasing parents is one of the sources of pleasing Allah, if that makes sense.
:wa:

It does make sense. I do try to see it from a different perspective. Pleasing Allah can please parents as well. I remember a convert to Islam said that practicing Islam had made her parents feel relaxed now that she does not drink and get drunk. From practicing Islam, she is more respectful and does not use foul language. Small lifestyle changes like that pleased Allah and her parents.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Fiona
05-02-2012, 10:26 PM
To please Allah, we have to show thankfulness towards people. I read a hadith that said something like you haven't thanked Allah if you haven't thanked people. I think the Prophet Muhammad s.w.s taught us to return good with something better too. Also the Quran teaches us that if people do bad to us we are to return the bad with good and forgiveness. These are the things that please Allah.

Ramadan90
05-02-2012, 10:47 PM
*APPLAUDS*

You are speaking the truth. But pleasing the parents is the command from Allah, or we have to be nice to them even if they arent pleased.

Anyway, I agree with you. In some point in your life you get TIRED of trying to please other people, you will end up hurting yourself. What I did is I just stoped caring about what other people think or whatever. I am only concerned about me, my family, close muslims friends, Islam and my personal development. To care about people is just too much burden for me. But just because I am concerned with my business doesnt mean I cant be a humble and a good person. And I am not as selfish I may sound.

And my main focus is in the herafter. I just wish I could afford to move from here to an Islamic country, learn so much about my religion and practice it. I would feel less guilty.

CosmicPathos
05-02-2012, 11:05 PM
What you have said is true. But is it practical in 21st century?

Can we succeed in whatever we are pursuing in dunya without worrying about it? Can we top exams if we did not worry about our success or high marks? Could we get our dream job/career if we did not "worry" about working hard towards it? No.

Human psychology is just like that of animals. You see people around you trying to attain what you want to attain, you will inevitably and by default become worried and start focussing on it and working towards it. Be it a certain career or degree that you want, or be it a certain woman you are interested in marrying, the moment you see other brothers approaching her, you'd pump up your game and get 'trapped' in goals of dunya.

It's the way Allah created life and being worried is part of human nature. Even Saahaba got worried. I dont remember his name but he was sitting in masjid late, Prophet pbuh asked him why is he doing so. He replied "my sorrow and debt has overcome me." So this is a condition of a sahaabi, who had Prophet right in front of his eyes, who saw miracles in front of his eyes and yet he was down that day. What about us 1500 years later when from birth the food we eat has certain riba in it.

GuestFellow
05-03-2012, 05:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by CosmicPathos
What you have said is true. But is it practical in 21st century?

Can we succeed in whatever we are pursuing in dunya without worrying about it? Can we top exams if we did not worry about our success or high marks? Could we get our dream job/career if we did not "worry" about working hard towards it? No.
Salaam,

I'm not advocating for people to simply give up on their jobs and studies. Just saying that people should not worry too much about this world, because this will not last forever. Worry about what will happen after you die.
I did not say people should not worry. Just do not put so much effort into something that distracts our attention from practicing Islam.

Human psychology is just like that of animals. You see people around you trying to attain what you want to attain, you will inevitably and by default become worried and start focussing on it and working towards it. Be it a certain career or degree that you want, or be it a certain woman you are interested in marrying, the moment you see other brothers approaching her, you'd pump up your game and get 'trapped' in goals of dunya.
Not everyone is like that. Well I'm not anymore. I'll accept whatever happens for the best. I could not become a Solicitor, but now working towards becoming an Chartered Accountant. It is not easy and I worry at times, but I try not to let it get in the way of practicing Islam. I don't spend hours and hours worrying about my looks and career prospects.

It's the way Allah created life and being worried is part of human nature. Even Saahaba got worried. I dont remember his name but he was sitting in masjid late, Prophet pbuh asked him why is he doing so. He replied "my sorrow and debt has overcome me." So this is a condition of a sahaabi, who had Prophet right in front of his eyes, who saw miracles in front of his eyes and yet he was down that day. What about us 1500 years later when from birth the food we eat has certain riba in it.
In a nutshell, I'm stating that we should not worry too much about pursing materialistic goals in this world to the extent where we are more fearful of pleasing our parents/employers/peer than compared to Allah. I'm aware it is not easy.

Periwinkle18
05-03-2012, 05:28 PM
Most of us spend hours worrying about our exams, future, looks, money, jobs and so on. What's the point? Once we die, we will leave everything behind, except for our good deeds and bad deeds. Why do some Muslims try to please other human beings so much?
well this is wht i've been thinking for a long long tyme in ur so rite abt everything...

Rhubarb Tart
05-03-2012, 06:56 PM
Its like worrying about the very very very small chance of going blind and deaf. Isn't it?

Haya emaan
05-03-2012, 07:34 PM
what our trial is, to earn akhirah within the affairs of this world...

nice post
JazakAllah for sharing the thoughts

IslamicRevival
05-04-2012, 01:07 AM
Brillliant post, Well and trully nailed it.

CosmicPathos
05-04-2012, 03:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sweet106
Its like worrying about the very very very small chance of going blind and deaf. Isn't it?
who said it is a very small chance?

1/15000 people from general population get their retinas detached, 90% of detachments are treatable, but 10% are not and they go blind.

The rate of detachment is WAY higher in myopes and near-sighted people. From where did you get this notion of "very very very" small chance of going blind?

You might go to sleep with perfect vision and wake up with a permanently blind eye due to central retinal artery occlusion (CRAO). It happens. To you it might seem to be a "very very very" low chance, but the person to whom it happened, it was 100% chance.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/articl...overview#a0199

I have to do facepalm when non-medical people start talking about health issues as if they know the facts.

Scimitar
05-04-2012, 03:18 AM
Ontopic...

there is a purpose why we are here on earth, and a purpose why Allah has created this earth. It is not pointless.

I guess I'm done here.

Scimi

CosmicPathos
05-04-2012, 03:32 AM
if this dunya is pointless then why did Allah create us in it?

Scimitar
05-04-2012, 03:32 AM
Exactly, if anything - this thread is pointless.

Except for this part:

It's ridiculous, considering that these people we try to please (peers, employers, parents), can never be truly satisfied. They will want more and make one mistake, most would completely turn against you. Why not use all that energy to please Allah? Allah does not care about our qualifications, status, looks and money. Not only the reward for pleasing Allah is eternal, but Allah has set down simple rules that are beneficial to us.

All this pressure from exams, job and society makes us tired and fed up. The simple rules set down by Allah actually help us. It would be better to put all of our efforts into pleasing Allah.

Your class, qualifications, looks, money and connections will not help you when your judged after you die. Like I said before, all you will take is your good deeds and bad deeds. You only have ONE chance to pass this test set down by Allah.

The rest was just a bit ??? Apart from CosmicPathos' post which I agree with. People with no medical knowedge should cease to make brash statements with little or no understanding of what they are talking about.

Scimi

CosmicPathos
05-04-2012, 03:35 AM
tragic, I however understand why you said it is pointless? have you been hurt recently? Have some of your goals you've not been able to achieve? You can PM me, and we can talk about it.

I also think this dunya is useless and pathetic and why did I get born, when I am feeling low and dejected. But this dunya is all we have to prove our worth in Hereafter. For Kaafirs, this dunya is all they have, so they make the best of it. That is one reason why kaafirs are progressing by leaps and bounds, because they take dunya seriously, they dont believe in afterlife. We as Muslims should do both, take dunya seriously, and then take afterlife seriously.

Scimitar
05-04-2012, 03:37 AM
yes, I'd like to add that I think we should concentrate on deen matters when dealing with dunya matters, ie: do things the halaal way.

balance... middle path.

Scimi

CosmicPathos
05-04-2012, 03:43 AM
we are the middle nation. Prophet participated in dunya, enjoyed the emotions of dunya, he smiled, cried, laughed, got hurt, enjoyed etc. He did not reject dunya. He just treaded it cautiously and did not become attached to it.

Scimitar
05-04-2012, 03:46 AM
Is this thread coming back on topic now :D barring this post ofcourse (facepalm)

Rhubarb Tart
05-04-2012, 02:01 PM
who said it is a very small chance?

1/15000 people from general population get their retinas detached, 90% of detachments are treatable, but 10% are not and they go blind.

The rate of detachment is WAY higher in myopes and near-sighted people. From where did you get this notion of "very very very" small chance of going blind?

You might go to sleep with perfect vision and wake up with a permanently blind eye due to central retinal artery occlusion (CRAO). It happens. To you it might seem to be a "very very very" low chance, but the person to whom it happened, it was 100% chance.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/articl...overview#a0199

I have to do facepalm when non-medical people start talking about health issues as if they know the facts.

10% is still very small chance. To person it may be 100% but compare that person to population(wait it is not even compare to population, its compare to those that have retinas detachment, its 10% lol) obviously less than 10%

I have to facepalm at a man the worries about the very very small chance of going blind. Even, if you were 10%, the focus of going blind isn’t going to reduce the chances of going blind. If you are untreatable, you are simply are untreatable.

And you have more chances of being hit by bus, killed during mugging or killed by family member then you have of going blind.

Hulk
05-04-2012, 02:16 PM
Certainly not pointless and certainly doesn't mean that we shouldn't have goals. However what we choose to be our goals are very important. The world is not an illusion but it is certainly illusory in that you can get lost in it very easily like moths to a flame. Some people say that they want to chase the success of this world as well as the hereafter. Do you really think you can be chasing two things at once?

Action is by intention. The problem with us is that we mess up our intentions way too much, sometimes we start with the right intention but along the way they get misaligned and we don't bother to realign them. If our intentions are in the right place a lot of what we do can be ibadah. Go get a good education, a good job, but with the right intentions.

Even through all the "dream-chasing" going on in this world we are still to make time to pray five times a day. So as busy as we are, we will always(InshaAllah) make time to pray, and when we pray correctly we put everything in the dunya behind us(InshaAllah). It's very interesting, in my opinion, like a safety barrier. As busy as we are in this world as long as we take the time to pray we will be on some level free from getting too attached to the temporary world.

That said the world is certainly not something we should view as "pointless" as it is filled with so many signs of Allah. Everything is a sign, they are after all, His creations. But like a heavily decorated signboard, sometimes we forget to see where it's pointing at and we lose ourselves in the sign itself.

Beardo
05-04-2012, 02:33 PM
The steps we take help us reach our goals.

As Muslim Woman had mentioned, the pleasure of Allah is in the pleasure of the parents.

It's not a matter of pleasing people. It really depends on the perspective you take. Anything good you do is not for people, but for yourself really. At the end of the day, we're all accountable for our own deeds. Everything we do can be an act of worship.

So the point of worrying about what our employer thinks of us is because he will decide our promotion and salary. If we can impress him and attain an honest position in the company, then it will reflect positively towards the Muslim Ummah as a whole. We have to keep ourselves in a dignified manner. We don't worry about our looks, but we still should look presentable and decent. The whole concern is so that we do not release a negative impression upon ourselves because we are representing Islam.

We do not try to impress our peers, but we do hope to carry ourselves in such a way that will inspire them to do good as well, whether they are Muslim or not.

Human nature is that we will seek more. So let that which we seek after be righteousness.

Your qualifications, looks, and money will not help you when you die, you speak the truth. However, having those qualities are not a bad thing. They can actually assist you in doing good. They can build your reputation, they can enable you to have power over others so you can influence them positively, and so on so forth. So don't disregard them all together, nor should you become obsessed with them because that is not the goal of our lives.

Just my two cents.

~ Sabr ~
05-04-2012, 02:34 PM
^ Please tone the font down a little....lol....I swear we are not blind, promise! :skeleton:

Beardo
05-04-2012, 02:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Haafizah
^ Please tone the font down a little....lol....I swear we are not blind, promise! :skeleton:
My apologies. I fixed it now.

Beardo
05-04-2012, 02:59 PM
Man, I always end up in these situations where I have to take the responsibility as administrator. :exhausted Where are the staff when you need them?

Anyway, I'll give this a go:

To my knowledge, there is a forum policy against calling people out, accusing them, announcing your suspicion of them publicly, insulting them, and so on so forth. I am ashamed to say that as an administrator, I don't even know where the forum policy page is located. :exhausted

But even from an Islamic perspective, we should maintain unity, dignity, and diplomacy, regardless of whether the person is Muslim or not. This is a public forum and we are each entitled to our own opinion, whatever that may be. That is the beauty of this forum - we can discuss and speak our minds. However, insulting each other is not a beneficial conversation. It's just...barking at each other. There can be no benefit derived from the conversation where there is just an exchange of insults.

So I don't want to get off-topic here, but let us maintain respect while conversing. We do not need to call each other out on anything. So let's all give each other a virtual hug (same gender only - don't try to hug the opposite gender or you will prosecuted by the forum staff) and mend our ways. Let's turn a new leaf and forget the past, the petty issues. We are one Ummah so let's act like it. :statisfie

With that being said, Tragic Typos, this is such an interesting topic to discuss.

Rhubarb Tart
05-04-2012, 03:19 PM
He hasn’t said you shouldn’t purse a career, studies or ignore the affairs of this world. Simply you shouldn’t be consumed by the world.

Person1001
05-04-2012, 03:20 PM
I had the picture of cube shape earth with corners in my mind when i saw the title :S

marwen
05-04-2012, 03:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Beardo
Man, I always end up in these situations where I have to take the responsibility as administrator.
I hope this situation does not long too much. Otherwise ... ehem..

CosmicPathos
05-04-2012, 05:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Haafizah
I swear we are not blind
blind people cant even read such large fonts.

Sorry to come off as bitter, but taking blindness as something light is a norm among Muslims. We better start not throwing around the "innocent jokes" such as "I am not blind, reduce the font size" around.

you simply dont know and cant know what a blind man/woman goes through after loosing his/her sight. So we better stop speaking about them and for them by virtue of being given the "blessing" of sight.

Insaanah
05-04-2012, 06:40 PM

You may have missed brother Beardo's polite request on the previous page: http://www.islamicboard.com/general/...ml#post1514454

Please respect the topic that the op started and stick to that.

Remember that we are first and foremost brothers and sisters in Islam. There is no need to talk to each other like that. Perhaps if we all started our posts with assalaamu alaikum, it might make us think twice about how we address each other, and what we write.

Jazaakumallah khayr in anticipation of your cooperation.

GuestFellow
05-04-2012, 10:21 PM
Salaam to all,

format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar
there is a purpose why we are here on earth, and a purpose why Allah has created this earth. It is not pointless.
if this dunya is pointless then why did Allah create us in it?
First, it was to attract attention and it worked. :p:

Second, let's put the title of this topic into context. I'm not saying our existence on this planet is pointless. I'm simply saying that many people worry so much about this world that we do not worry about what will happen after we die. By we, I'm referring to Muslims.

tragic, I however understand why you said it is pointless? have you been hurt recently? Have some of your goals you've not been able to achieve? You can PM me, and we can talk about it.
No, I have not been hurt. I'm fine. I good at handling rejections and setbacks.

format_quote Originally Posted by Rhubarb Tart
He hasn’t said you shouldn’t purse a career, studies or ignore the affairs of this world. Simply you shouldn’t be consumed by the world.
Thank you.

I'll expand on my post.

It is perfectly acceptable to set goals to achieve this in world, as long as it is halal. Muslims do, however, need to be careful. We should not focus too much on achieving these goals.

In the unfortunate event, you cannot achieve these goals, it could lead to extreme sadness and depression. I have seen it happen.
These people tend to have a difficult time handling rejections and setbacks. They put too much effort into a particular goal, to the extent where it distracted them from practicing Islam.

Overall, it is fine to set goals. This world is not pointless in terms of our existence. I would say what the materialistic goods and services the world offers is only temporary, can be a distraction and pointless. Do not worry too much about this world since it is only temporary, but put all the effort you have making sure you are practicing Islam, since the result is permanent in the next world.

format_quote Originally Posted by Person1001
I had the picture of cube shape earth with corners in my mind when i saw the title :S
Thank you for your input.

White Rose
05-04-2012, 10:22 PM

Great post and thanks for the encouragement and reminder. I was looking for these words for awhile.I have been feeling exactly the same. People expect of a lot of worldly achievements which just becomes a burden. The only thing that keeps me going is to please Allah SWT.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!