/* */

PDA

View Full Version : If a Muslim brother...

Scimitar
05-04-2012, 04:16 PM
If a Muslim brother refuses to give you his name, is this wrong? or is it permissible?

Scimi

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
User29123
05-04-2012, 04:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar
If a Muslim brother refuses to give you his name, is this wrong? or is it permissible?

Scimi
Is this something to do online? Or in the real world. If it is online the guy is probably a stranger if it is in the real world, the guy must be totally lost not to give his name unless it's a rude one. But I don't think it's got anything to do with Islam..

Muslim Woman
05-04-2012, 04:33 PM
:sl:

bro , can u explain ? In which situation ?

Many people don't like to talk to strangers. Now a days , it's hard to trust any unknown person . So , out of fear , one may refuse to talk to unknown person .

Scimitar
05-04-2012, 05:05 PM
It's someone I have been speaking to for a while now, over 6 months...

... I know him through the net, on forums and we speak on MSN quite regularly in our Sacrifical Lambs group.

He knows all our names in the group. I asked him once what his name was but he refused to give it. That was about 6 months ago approx. Lately, it's been bugging me that I still don't know his name...

...So today I asked him, again, and was a little too persistence - I guess my persistence came off a bit rude, even though I didn't mean it like that. I think I may have offended the brother.

He's a good brother, a very good brother. I feel guilty, Which is why I made this thread.

I'd like to add that he gave me a name, but the way he gave it - leads me to believe that this is also an alias - however, it is a Muslim name and that is good enough for me.

Scimi

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muslim Woman
05-04-2012, 05:16 PM
:sl:

I have some good friends online but don't know their names and never asked and they also never asked.

why u need to know his real name ? What's use of screen names then ? :hmm:

Person1001
05-04-2012, 05:16 PM
I use fake names all the time.

sister herb
05-04-2012, 05:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Person1001
I use fake names all the time.
I think it is better refuse to tell any name than tell a lie - false name.

^o)

Haya emaan
05-04-2012, 05:35 PM
we find lots of people on internet who don't want to reveal their real identity. they have their personal reasons. i don't see any thing wrong in it...

Endymion
05-04-2012, 05:39 PM
A friend o f mine call me on phone and when my siblings ask her name,she always tell that im her "friend" and never tell them her name.My siblings always make fun of me :hmm:

But i think its ok when people hide their real names on internet.

Haya emaan
05-04-2012, 05:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Endymion
A friend o f mine call me on phone and when my siblings ask her name,she always tell that im her "friend" and never tell them her name
this is what i also do:p

Rhubarb Tart
05-04-2012, 06:12 PM
Now the brother won’t feel comfortable with you. Back off for some time till he forgets that you've asked him.

Scimitar
05-04-2012, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the responses, I think I owe the brother an apology.

Scimi

dqsunday
05-05-2012, 02:49 AM
There are many reasons why somebody online won't reveal their name. Its not always a matter of trust, some people just are uncomforable revealing their full name. I am one of these people. I give my first name to online friends sometimes, but rarely do I give my full name. Nothing wrong with my name as far as Islam goes either...at least not to my knowledge.

In your case Brother, I would just send him an email/IM and apologize if you were rude and explain you had nto meant to make him uncomfortable. You were just curious and didn't understand at the time why he would not want to inform you of his name. Then Inshallah, things will be alright and you two can continue enjoying conversations.

Periwinkle18
05-05-2012, 03:03 AM
i think its ok if someone doesnt wanna tell u their name...one shouldnt force anyone to tell

Endymion
05-05-2012, 06:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Haya emaan
this is what i also do
I personally don't like it.Whats the use of being too mysterious to people who know you in real :hmm:

But yes,in contrast to start a conversation without introducing your self and ask people to identify you,its better to tell them you are a friend :heated:

marwen
05-05-2012, 08:23 AM
having an embarrassing name could be a good reason too, to not tell my name.

Periwinkle18
05-05-2012, 08:30 AM
^ one should b confident n love their name even if others think its embarrassing :p

Signor
05-08-2012, 08:37 AM
Assalamo Alaikum Brother

When i saw your thread,this ayah flashes in my mind,though it doesn't deal with your question straightly but still it can help you insha-Allah

Call them (adopted sons) by (the names of) their fathers: that is more just with Allah. But if you know not their father's (names, call them) your brothers in faith and Mawalikum (your freed slaves). And there is no sin on you if you make a mistake therein, except in regard to what your hearts deliberately intend. And Allah is Ever 0ft-Forgiving, Most Merciful. (Al-Ahzab 33:5)

Anyway,With a good experience of mine hanging out with strangers on the internet,I find out various reasons and issues to address in the regard of why someone don't want to tell his/her name.You can consider one of the following:

Age Factor
Insecurity
Parent's Pressure(This relates to Age in some way)
An Experience From Past
Sounds Ridiculous or Weird Naming

Have A Blessed Day

SF

User29123
05-08-2012, 10:11 AM
they might have a name like Osama. One of my friends friend did have that name, in school he got bullied, they called him Bin Ladin :)

AhlaamBella
05-08-2012, 10:27 AM
My husband is like that. He hates "random people" knowing details about him. As he is a revert, legally his name is a non-muslim name, but the muslim community call him his Muslim name. Yet, when someone he doesn't know asks him his name, he uses a mxture of the two ;D

Nowt wrong with it - personal preference :)

True-blue
05-08-2012, 01:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by PoweredByGoogle
they might have a name like Osama. One of my friends friend did have that name, in school he got bullied, they called him Bin Ladin :)
Now that's a very serious case. But I wonder what will happen when a female's name has Osama in it.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!