/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

Naeema
05-07-2012, 08:46 PM
السلام عليكم

I am an adult in the Northeast United States. I've not converted to Islam yet, but I feel it is likely to happen this Autumn, Insha'Allah. I'm waiting because I want to be sure that I'm not jumping off unprepared or too quickly. I need a little more time in study and contemplation.

I was raised as a conservative Catholic but I had disagreements with some of the teachings and so, in a personal crisis, I walked away from my faith. I then spent another 15 years wandering around in the wilderness - investigating many other religions. Through the years, I have met a number of people who happened to be Muslim, some born, some reverts. Each Muslim I met shared a different piece of their faith with me, as was appropriate under the circumstances. While they don't know it, they were each sowing small seeds of faith and hope for which I am ever thankful.

I am married, but my husband does not object to my choice of faith - whatever it may ultimately be - and is comfortable raising our child in Islam. I think he's more comfortable with Islam than conservative Catholicism for our child.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Aprender
05-07-2012, 08:52 PM
AsSalamu alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa baraakatuh,

Welcome to the message board Naeema. I love your name :). I am 22 and I was also raised in a Christian household but converted to Islam almost a year ago. I studied Islam for about four years and there is still so much about this deen that I need to learn. I am happy to have you here with us my dear sister and I hope that your time here is beneficial and that you learn much to take that next step toward becoming a Muslim.

May Allah ease everything for you, protect you and your family from all harm and evil in this world, and fill your heart and mind with His continuous love and remembrance. Ameeeeeeen

Hulk
05-07-2012, 10:49 PM
Welcome to the forums Naeema, I hope you will have a beneficial and good time here. InshaAllah.

I hope that you are currently attending some classes on Islam. I believe you will be able to learn much easier in the presence of classmates and a teacher.

All the best in your quest for finding truth :)

dqsunday
05-08-2012, 01:43 AM
Asalam alaykum Naeema and welcome to the forum.

I myself am a very recent covert and came from a Roman Catholic background though I had not practiced in many years...pretty much not since I was given a choice if I had to go to church or not. I checked many religions from various occult/wiccan faiths, Eastern religions (buddhism, etc) and a few others mostly out of raw curiosity but none caught me interest nor devotion as Islam has. Reading the Qur'an the first time certainly made far more sense than the bible ever did (though I can barely remember the bible..I don't think I ever read it cover to cover...all I remember is bits of Revelations...) I definitely recommend buying or downloading a couple of the Qur'an to read, there are plenty of English translations available. I bought mine in hardcopy, as I do like the feel of a book in my hands and I can read it prior to going to bed, instead of on my computer were I am far more likely to be distracted.

There are many challenges in Islam but all are worth it, at least so far I have nothing to complain about, despite the personal hurtles I am working against. But Inshallah in time I will over come them all.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Signor
05-08-2012, 08:57 AM
Assalamo Alaikum Sister

Welcome To The Board And May Makes Your Journey Easy Towards Embracing Islam,Ameen

If you could tell us,how do you know this name?do you have any Muslim friend with this name or what?

Regards

Scimitar
05-08-2012, 01:13 PM
Assalaam Alaikum sister.

You can get free PDF books and videos, audio etc - here: www.kalamullah.com

welcome to IslamicBoard :)

Scimi

Periwinkle18
05-08-2012, 01:23 PM
welcome to the forum sis :)

Awwww :) i hope u like it here n learn lots n lots inshaAllah :)

~ Sabr ~
05-08-2012, 01:29 PM
:welcome: to the forum sis

You can find more knowledge about Islam here InshaAllaah: www.islamreligion.com

Naeema
05-08-2012, 01:39 PM
Thank you for the kind welcome, Aprender, Hulk, dqsunday, and SaneFellow.

Aprender: Thank you for sharing that you are still learning after four years of study. While I know that there is a lifetime of learning, it's good to know that it may still feel like I have a lot to learn even after I study for a while longer.

Hulk: I am studying one on one with a teacher. I find that this message board helps me see more of the issues that arise in day to day life than I might think of on my own, much like classmates would. It also helps me to see a wider variety of views than I might see in my small community. Ultimately, I hope to bring back questions to my own teacher.

dqsunday: It's nice to meet someone who has been on some of the same paths that I have. Thank you for the recommendation - I do have a Qu'ran for the home and a second one on my smartphone. I'm very thankful to live in this modern era where I can listen to recordings at the push of a button. It makes memorization so much easier.

SaneFellow: It's an OK name, right? Please don't laugh - I used a baby name book combined with a little homework. I couldn't take the name of a friend. To me that would be some kind of impersonation.

SFatima
05-08-2012, 01:45 PM
SubhanAllah, may you and your family be forever guided and may ease and happiness flow in your lives, ameen . Welcome aboard sister :)

Ğħαrєєвαħ
05-08-2012, 07:59 PM
Wa Alaaykum As'Salaam

:welcome: on board!

Great to have you here!

Hope you enjoy yourself here and find the forum beneficial towards yourself, god willingly...

Qurratul Ayn
05-08-2012, 08:03 PM
Welcome to the forum!!!

:D

Haya emaan
05-09-2012, 04:04 PM
welcome to the IB family

may you have a beneficial stay here
feel free to ask questions you have. Take a round and you will find many informative threads.

may Allah guide you to the right path and make the path of jannah easy for you. ameen

haya

Naeema
05-09-2012, 04:24 PM
Thank you all for such a warm welcome!

Signor
05-10-2012, 02:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Naeema
SaneFellow: It's an OK name, right? Please don't laugh - I used a baby name book combined with a little homework. I couldn't take the name of a friend. To me that would be some kind of impersonation.
Its a Good name,Its was a common name in Pakistan,now its obsolete though.But still some of my aunts has the same name.Actually i was amused to see this name getting used by you.Anyway,Names doesn't matter its our deeds and character that will remain in hearts of the people.May Allah makes it easy for you to take shahadah and guides all the Muslims to the right path,Ameen Assalamo Alaikum

Sunnie Ameena
05-10-2012, 05:32 PM
Asalamu Alaikum
Welcome Sister Naeema, I too was a Catholic many many years ago. I then went to a few other different churches, and then a year or so ago, I started reading up on the Muslim faith. So last year, I said my Shahada. I still have lots to learn. Again, welcome to the board, and look forward to talking to you more. Sunnie Ameena

Eric H
05-11-2012, 06:25 AM
Greetings and peace be with you Naeema; welcome to the forum

God chooses whom he wills, we just have to respond and do something.

In the spirit of searching for God and praying for a greater faith and trust.

Eric

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!