/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Court sentences wife-beater to memorize Qur’an, Prophet’s sayings

Perseveranze
05-11-2012, 04:38 PM
Court sentences wife-beater to memorize Qur’an, Prophet’s sayings

By Aisha Jamal
Saudi Gazette

JEDDAH — The Penal Court here has sentenced a man to memorize five parts (Juz’) of the Holy Qur’an and 100 sayings of the Prophet (peace be upon him) and to read three books on Shariah.
The man was found guilty of beating up his wife.

The court decided to set an examination for the man after six months from the date of the verdict. The judge advised the husband to protect his wife’s rights as stipulated by Islam, perform obligatory prayers regularly and repent to Allah for mistreating his wife. The man did not raise any objection to the verdict.

According to court proceedings the woman wanted to visit a female relative to which the man initially agreed but later changed his mind. He then asked her to fetch a glass of water and she refused. The man went to the kitchen and his wife also followed him. Infuriated, the man slapped her. She immediately headed for the bedroom to take her clothes and leave for her father’s house. This made the man more incensed and he started beating her severely. A report issued by King Fahd Hospital in Jeddah showed she suffered bruises on different parts of the body including nose, neck, head, legs and arms.

The woman filed a complaint with the police and the case was referred to the Bureau of Investigation and Prosecution (BIP), which framed the charges against the man. The BIP claimed that the beating was haram and punishable under the Shariah laws. The prosecution demanded deterrent punishment for the man. The private right of the wife was dropped following a settlement through which the husband paid his wife SR7000 as compensation.

The verdict against the husband included reading three books on the Shariah. The books are The rules of acts of worship and The pillars of Islam by Sheikh Abdulaziz Bin Baz, a book on supplications by Ibn Al-Qayyim entitled Al-Wabil Al-Sayyib… and he will have to sit for an exam.

http://www.saudigazette.com.sa/index...20120507123560
This is a new one lol.

I think it's a good punishment, as $1900 is quite alot in many rural area's in Saudi and the man might've been poor, but also because reading/learning about his religion will have a lasting effect on the person than say a jail sentence (where he might just repeat offend due to retribution, not to mention his wife would be without provider for a while).

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Roasted Cashew
05-11-2012, 04:53 PM
Fine him and give that money to the wife and later beat him the same way he beat his wife. That would put sense into him.

Insaanah
05-11-2012, 05:11 PM
:sl:

format_quote Originally Posted by Perseveranze
The Penal Court here has sentenced a man to memorize five parts (Juz’) of the Holy Qur’an and 100 sayings of the Prophet (peace be upon him) and to read three books on Shariah.
The man was found guilty of beating up his wife.
Since when is the Qur'an a punishment, or to be used as one?

Are there any examples from the sunnah of the Qur'an being used as a punishment?

As far as I know, as stated within the Qur'an itself, it is meant to be a guidance and mercy and good-tidings for those who believe, and a guidance and warning for those who do not believe. The Qur'an is not even a punishment for a non-believer, so how can it be one for a Muslim?

How will this man view the Qur'an in future, as a punishment, or as a book to love?

May Allah guide us all, ameen.

Darth Ultor
05-11-2012, 05:27 PM
Why not throw him in prison for a couple years? See how the other prisoners take to him beating up a woman.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Perseveranze
05-11-2012, 05:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Insaanah
:sl:

Since when is the Qur'an a punishment, or to be used as one?

Are there any examples from the sunnah of the Qur'an being used as a punishment?

As far as I know, as stated within the Qur'an itself, it is meant to be a guidance and mercy and good-tidings for those who believe, and a guidance and warning for those who do not believe. The Qur'an is not even a punishment for a non-believer, so how can it be one for a Muslim?

How will this man view the Qur'an in future, as a punishment, or as a book to love?

May Allah guide us all, ameen.
Walaikum Asalaam,

The man will use the Qur'an as a means of seeking knowledge so he can better understand what his rights and limits are. Giving him a jail sentence or whatever else (which the wife retracted her right from anyways, because she preferred the money settlement), is not going to stop him from abusing his rights - because he hasn't necassarily learned and differentiated right from wrong.

At least with knowledge he would in theory know better. It may not be considered a "punishment" so to speak, but is it the best option? I think it is.

TrueStranger
05-11-2012, 06:23 PM
Reading the Qu'ran is a good idea. Let him do that in jail. It will make a lasting impression.

tango92
05-11-2012, 08:55 PM
i think its a good idea.

its hardly a taxing punishment and he is not likely to forget the message after that, which is exactly what punishment should do. stop reoffence

Naeema
05-11-2012, 08:57 PM
As a parent, I appreciate creative punishment. In our house, this means punishment that is not strictly punitive but that helps the person learn and grow.

In no way to I condone violence or using the Noble Book as punishment. But I appreciate what I think the court was trying to do here. Putting someone in jail does not teach them how to be better people, it just puts them in time-out for adults. In the States, the jail time for beating a person is typically fairly short, as I expect it is elsewhere. Instead, Insha'Allah, this man will have an opportunity through education to learn from his error and become a better person. Perhaps this will also help mend what must be a sore relationship with his wife, putting them both in a better mind than where they were when he was beating her.

Rhubarb Tart
05-11-2012, 11:34 PM
Salam

I don't understand how can an adult not know that it is NOT acceptable to beat another human being, let alone his wife?

Even a non Muslim know it is not acceptable to beat someone unless self defence. And those supporting this punishment would not support it if it were their female relative.

An adult that beat up another human being to the pulp deserve some jail time or same ill treatment, I don't care if the victim waves their rights!

Wow at people supporting a weak punishment! Like I've said they wouldn't if it were their blood sisters, auntie or even mother. A thief would've get a harsher punishment.

Rhubarb Tart
05-11-2012, 11:43 PM
Also what message does this send out to wider population? More specifically to spouses that beat their partner?

And why can't he be sent to jail and memorise Quran and prophet's sayings? Why the two have to be mutually exclusive?

As for him being a provider, she can over her father during hid jail time. This is not just about him but also about the message it sends to others about violence towards their fellow human being especially towards Muslims.

Perseveranze
05-12-2012, 12:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rhubarb Tart
Also what message does this send out to wider population? More specifically to spouses that beat their partner?

And why can't he be sent to jail and memorise Quran and prophet's sayings? Why the two have to be mutually exclusive?

As for him being a provider, she can over her father during hid jail time. This is not just about him but also about the message it sends to others about violence towards their fellow human being especially towards Muslims.
Asalaamu Alaikum,

You should read this;

The private right of the wife was dropped following a settlement through which the husband paid his wife SR7000 as compensation.

Which means the wife would've preferred the money instead of the husband either being;

a) Jailed
b) Retribution law (which means she can hit the husband in the same way he hit her).
c) divorce

And the judge probably decided for the man's own benefit he should learn the Qur'an/hadith to better his knowledge and humble himself so that he doesn't act like that again. The man will have a test, and if he fails it, there will probably be dire consequences.

In all honesty, the details of this case are unclear, so we shouldn't make too many straightforward judgments as we don't really know the full reality of it.

Rhubarb Tart
05-12-2012, 06:50 AM
^^Ever heard of Stockholm Syndrome? Will people tend forgive even if their partner put them in coma. So, I don't care if the victim waves their rights. And we wouldn't care if a victim wave their rights to paedophile or rapist. So I don't see why we should to someone that beat another human being to pulp which can be equally damaging.

Secondly, how is this a deterrent for other people who may be beating their partners too? This a slap on the wrist especially since most victims whether it be a man or woman forgive their abusive partner ( Stockholm Syndrome). And the abusers know this. He should be punished accordingly and be fined.

Thirdly, you don't even need the Quran to know that it not acceptable to beat person. A non muslim wouldve know this.

And finally, your opinion would be different if it were your female relatives. If this is the case, shouldn't want same thing for another Muslim like you want for yourself.

Ar-RaYYan
05-12-2012, 09:55 AM
Even a non Muslim know it is not acceptable to beat someone unless self defence
You mentioned this twice in two different posts and I know what you mean here when you say that but rather than using non muslim it would have been better saying a decent human being knows its unacceptable to beat one's spouse.
A non- muslim's laws and society say that that domestic violence is unacceptable and yet non muslims do commit it . Just as our shariah and scholars condemn domestic violence muslim individuals do commit it as well. Domestic violence goes beyond race, religion, culture, economic status etc.

Yes I agree with what some of you have already said that the man should be given the Qur'an to seek better knowledge but let him do it while he is in jail!

Perseveranze
05-12-2012, 05:55 PM
^^Ever heard of Stockholm Syndrome? Will people tend forgive even if their partner put them in coma. So, I don't care if the victim waves their rights. And we wouldn't care if a victim wave their rights to paedophile or rapist. So I don't see why we should to someone that beat another human being to pulp which can be equally damaging.

Secondly, how is this a deterrent for other people who may be beating their partners too? This a slap on the wrist especially since most victims whether it be a man or woman forgive their abusive partner ( Stockholm Syndrome). And the abusers know this. He should be punished accordingly and be fined.

Thirdly, you don't even need the Quran to know that it not acceptable to beat person. A non muslim wouldve know this.

And finally, your opinion would be different if it were your female relatives. If this is the case, shouldn't want same thing for another Muslim like you want for yourself.
Can you stop saying "even non-muslim would know" when you probably haven't even seen the statistics for domestic violence in the west.

There's no point in making you understand.

Rhubarb Tart
05-13-2012, 01:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Perseveranze
Can you stop saying "even non-muslim would know" when you probably haven't even seen the statistics for domestic violence in the west.

There's no point in making you understand.
No I won't stop saying that. I am aware of the statistics but they don't commit the crime in public they do indoors. If they don't know it wrong to beat their partners, they would do outside! They are not guided by Quran but yet have the norm and legislation to say beating your partner is wrong!

Just because someone commit a crime, it does not mean they don't know it is wrong! Why on earth would any human being need Quran to teach it wrong to beat their partners? It is an unwritten rule. Hence: why most do the deed in private! Just like paedophiles and rapist commit their crime in private and are manipulative!

this is about public deterrent. The moment the wife filed the chargers, it became public and her dropping the suit, doesn't make it less public. Therefore, he should be punished accordingly and be fined to deter others of beating their partner!

Btw there's no point in arguing with you either.

This case was a severe beating not one punch or slap in the face. He deserve jail time and still go through the test. The two don't have to be mutually exclusive. And you wouldn't have agreed with this judgement if your sister or mother was beaten in the same manner, period. I'm done.

Perseveranze
05-13-2012, 01:30 AM
No I won't stop saying that. I am aware of the statistics but they don't commit the crime in public they do indoors. If they don't know it wrong to beat their partners, they would do outside! They are not guided by Quran but yet have the norm and legislation to say beating your partner is wrong!

Just because someone commit a crime, it does not mean they don't know it is wrong! Why on earth would any human being need Quran to teach it wrong to beat their partners? It is an unwritten rule. Hence: why most do the deed in private! Just like paedophiles and rapist commit their crime in private and are manipulative!

this is about public deterrent. The moment the wife filed the chargers, it became public and her dropping the suit, doesn't make it less public. Therefore, he should be punished accordingly and be fined to deter others of beating their partner!

Btw there's no point in arguing with you either.

This case was a severe beating not one punch or slap in the face. He deserve jail time and still go through the test. The two don't have to be mutually exclusive. And you wouldn't have agreed with this judgement if your sister or mother was beaten in the same manner, period. I'm done.
Subhanallah.

Sister, tell this "unwritten rule" to the Pre-Islamic arabs who would bury female infants alive. Or to those who forced their slave women into prostitution, or to those who made their wives some kind of object that could be inherited to their brother if they died.

Ask those who force women into prostitution today that this kind of stuff is a "unwritten rule". And I can go on and on.

There is no such thing as a "unwritten rule" sister, there's a good reason why Allah(swt) kept sending prophets to mankind. He sent them so we can be guided and be rid of the barbaric and evil paths we would take.

Abz2000
05-13-2012, 01:50 AM
lol this is not a punishment, the punishment was waived. it is a rehabilitation scheme and a really good one since he get's to read and grow in knowledge.
though i do think that woman drove him over the edge and was trying to get on his nerves,:exhausted
lol why refuse to get water and then when he goes to get it himself, follow him straight into the kitchen? seems like she was trying to p1ss him off and it worked :p.

don't get me wrong, i don't like the idea of beating someone weaker than urself without just cause,
but i also don't believe in purposefully inflicting psychological torture on someone in order to drive them over the edge.
we don't know the full details of the story and i myself have warned my missus against certain gossipy backbiting type women from my side of the family, and she didn't listen and now hates them herself and wishes she never ever knew them lol.

LauraS
05-14-2012, 09:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abz2000
lol this is not a punishment, the punishment was waived. it is a rehabilitation scheme and a really good one since he get's to read and grow in knowledge.
though i do think that woman drove him over the edge and was trying to get on his nerves,:exhausted
lol why refuse to get water and then when he goes to get it himself, follow him straight into the kitchen? seems like she was trying to p1ss him off and it worked :p.

don't get me wrong, i don't like the idea of beating someone weaker than urself without just cause,
but i also don't believe in purposefully inflicting psychological torture on someone in order to drive them over the edge.
we don't know the full details of the story and i myself have warned my missus against certain gossipy backbiting type women from my side of the family, and she didn't listen and now hates them herself and wishes she never ever knew them lol.
Psychological torture? Did you read the beginning of the article? She didn't just refuse to get him a glass of water for no reason, it was because he refused to let her see a friend (it is stories like this that make people believe Islam is sexist- and I'm not intending to start an argument by saying that). But you just zoned in on the fact she refused to get him a glass of water. Well, he does have feet and hands doesn't he? He can go and get his own glass of water instead of keeping his wife at home to do things for him.

I agree with what others are saying, he can memorise the Qur'an from in prison.

TrueStranger
05-14-2012, 11:30 PM
Originally Posted by Abz2000 View Post
though i do think that woman drove him over the edge and was trying to get on his nerves,
lol why refuse to get water and then when he goes to get it himself, follow him straight into the kitchen? seems like she was trying to p1ss him off and it worked .

Who knew not getting an able man water, and following him into the kitchen would be considered psychological torture by some people. ^o)

Each culture has certain levels of injustices and inequality they accept within their societies. Some of these cultures have inequalities that directly effect one gender more than the other.

Orbala
05-15-2012, 05:29 AM
Wow. Way to teach a lesson to wife-beaters in this particular community. I would certainly feel safe and protected as a woman/wife there, uh-huh.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!