/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Ipad?

GuestFellow
05-15-2012, 08:29 PM
Salaam,

Should I purchase an Ipad? I have a laptop but I use it as a PC desktop. It is too big to move about. I would like a portable device, but not something that I would carry in the streets. :/ Will this device last long if it is well taken care of? Is the overheating issue of significant concern? I have done some research but there are many confusing and conflicting views.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Abz2000
05-15-2012, 08:47 PM
the first ipad was very reliable, it didnt have those overheating issues and the kids would have it on youtube all day without there being issues, they dropped it loads of times too with no problems, sold it later though coz the phone does basically everyhting it does + more.
the more recent ones however have high graphics resolution and therefore heat up substantially.
if ur after full pc capabilities, another thing you might want to look at are the tablet PCs,
i have one called the HP TC1100 and picked it up on ebay for just over £100 (used), it has everything you need in a laptop including usb ports, vga port, and ethernet port, excellent for work, portability, and plugging it into the larger monitor to use as a "blackboard" for teaching the kids, full (not mobile) windows software, writing capabilities, detachable keyboard, etc,
and you can also pick up a new battery for it quite cheap.

lol hope i'm not being suspected as a HP salesman, but it definitely is worth recommending.

GuestFellow
05-15-2012, 09:02 PM
^ JazakAllah Khair

I may consider HP TC1100. BTW, you'd make a great salesman.

Dagless
05-15-2012, 09:13 PM
Depending on what you use it for, you can pick up a 1st gen ipad refurb at a fairly reasonable price now. Well made and no overheating issues I've heard of.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
GuestFellow
05-15-2012, 09:25 PM
^ Salaam,

Is it just me or you always help me out when I need help with electronics?

Thanks for the help!

Hulk
05-15-2012, 10:07 PM
Wow thanks for reminding me to get my mum an iPad. I actually forgot ;D

But now brother Abz got me curious on this HP TC1100 thingamagie..

Personally I'm sure its much better than an iPad in many ways but since its going to be for my mum I'm wondering if it has any games like appstore, easy to use or not.

BadOlPuttyTat
05-16-2012, 12:02 AM
get a SOny s tablet. Ipad doesnt even have flash so you wont be able to watch youtube on it unless it is HTML5 supported which isnt alot. Its useless buying it and pretty dumb. No Apple product is that great along with the fact its WAY OVER PRICED! I am a techy so i shud know. Apple products allow you to only use services from Apple and nobody else. While any other product is totally open source and free. Getting an Ipad is like walking around declaring your a fool to the world. Apple products are like designer clothes and we all know how over priced those designer clothes are. :p

CosmicPathos
05-16-2012, 12:09 AM
dagless is the IT guy here.

Abz2000
05-16-2012, 01:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hulk
Personally I'm sure its much better than an iPad in many ways but since its going to be for my mum I'm wondering if it has any games like appstore, easy to use or not.
the ipad has it's conveniences, such as battery life, slimness, and finger touch capabilities,
the tc1100 however does what you'd expect from any windows laptop, so any games you'd play on a laptop, you can play, bearing in mind of course that the graphics memory is not too high (32mb). i was however able to upgrade the hard drive to 160gb, (ide), which is much higher than most tablets. and the ram can go up to 2gb.
this thing may be old, but is still way ahead of it's time and i personally would take it in place of an ipad, or take the ipad, sell it, and buy this and spend the extra cash :)

here's one with windows 7 installed with someone playing angry birds (i prefer xp though coz it's much lighter and has pretty much everything i need, and xp has less security issues).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7B-W...eature=related

here's a good review:

here's a basic comparison:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GSvm...eature=related

if u ever do buy it, i wouldnt get the celeron one, one of my customers bought one from me and it became really slow after a while, my centrino one is however perfect

then there are other windows capable full tablet pc's:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLUE-Dell-...item19d0de8657

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-HP-Tou...item20c55cb5c7

dqsunday
05-16-2012, 02:21 AM
There are plenty of good quality light portable computers around (aka laptops). I really don't like buying the 'hype' of the apple products. They are rather very over priced, and if I recall correctly they aren't all that compatable with anything that is not an Apple product (ie can't link up to mp3 players or things like that without going through hoops). Dell, Toshiba, HP and other brands carry small laptops which are light weight, have full version of software, full wireless capability etc. I suggest shopping around and comparing features.

It really all depends on what you primarily plan to use it for. If its just for something to do while on the bus, or if you need full computer capability, it makes a big difference on what to look for in a system.

Dagless
05-18-2012, 12:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tragic Typos
^ Salaam,

Is it just me or you always help me out when I need help with electronics?

Thanks for the help!
What can I say... I'm a helpful person ;) (jk, you're welcome).
Did you decide what to buy yet?

Ibn Abi Ahmed
05-18-2012, 12:50 AM
Ive had the 2nd Gen and now the 3rd. Love it. No other tablet on the market can compare. The apps are amazing (and there's a plethora of them!) and the third gen's retina display is simply gorgeous. The iPad 3 is amazing, if you're going to spend money on a tablet, I wouldn't spend it on anything but an iPad. The competition doesn't even come close. The overheating is insignificant (never had that problem at all).

Hulk
05-18-2012, 12:07 PM
What I don't like about the iPad or iPhone is that you have to connect to iTunes and all that stuff just to transfer some media files. Come on man just let me treat it like an external drive already.

My mum brought home a Samsung Galaxy Tab today, it is pre-owned but looks new and she got it at a cheap price. It can play music, movies (i am not sure what formats but i assume only mp4), PDFs. Not sure what more I can ask for.

I don't know how the battery power is compared to an iPad or any other tablet as its hers and not mine so I can't really test it but honestly I wish I had one hahaha.

I looked up the tablet bro abz mentioned but its too pricey for me.. I'll be on the look out for good deals..

Bro shads suggested sony so will have a look as well

GuestFellow
05-19-2012, 10:09 AM
I had a look at the Sony Tablet. I think I might that one. :/ Still have not made up my mind yet. It is so hard.

Hulk
05-19-2012, 10:14 AM
I had a look at the Sony Tablet. I think I might that one. :/ Still have not made up my mind yet. It is so hard.
I'm looking at china brands ;D. What sort of use are you looking to get out of it? For me it would be good if it can play videos(many formats), mp3, pdf, cbr(even better), long lasting battery.

If i can connect a keyboard to it, awesome, can take notes during class.

GuestFellow
05-19-2012, 10:59 AM
^ Salaam,

Actually I changed my mind. I'm not buying the Ipad. It is a waste of money. I wanted something as powerful as a laptop, but very portable. Nothing like this exists in the market at the moment. I could be wrong.

Dagless
05-19-2012, 11:32 AM
^ Salaam,

Actually I changed my mind. I'm not buying the Ipad. It is a waste of money. I wanted something as powerful as a laptop, but very portable. Nothing like this exists in the market at the moment. I could be wrong.
You still haven't said what you want to do on it!

GuestFellow
05-19-2012, 11:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dagless
You still haven't said what you want to do on it!
Salaam,

Oh I forgot lol. Well I would like to do the following:

1. Type up documents and use spreadsheets.
2. Browse the net.
3. Watch videos, movies and lectures.
4. Play computer games.
5. Email. Really important, as I need to attach and send documents off.
6. Read books.

It has to be fast and allows me to do several things at once. My laptop is too big and bulky, not very portable. >_<

Abz2000
05-19-2012, 12:13 PM
Those links I gave you have some,
They even come in i5

~ Sabr ~
05-19-2012, 12:16 PM
Notebook

GuestFellow
05-19-2012, 12:38 PM
Salaam

format_quote Originally Posted by Abz2000
Those links I gave you have some,
They even come in i5
I considered it as first, but the design is putting me off. :/ I'm so picky, I know.

format_quote Originally Posted by Haafizah
Notebook
I don't like notebooks. >_> I will only consider it if it lasts 5 years, minimum. :/ I hate buying stuff that gets ruined within two years, even when you take well care of it.

I think I'm being very unrealistic here.

Hulk
05-19-2012, 12:43 PM
What about the asus transformer?

http://www.asus.com/Eee/Eee_Pad/Eee_...sformer_TF101/

It can transform ;D

~Raindrop~
05-19-2012, 01:04 PM
I have the iPad 2 and although I love it, I'm thinking that it's time for change. But then, I'm not very tech-savvy - is there a way to get MS Office or its equivalent on it? I really want to have a database on it as I mainly use it for the school and speeches.
I bought Keynote for presentations but I'm not too keen on Numbers and Pages. If there's an alternative, I think I might keep it instead of selling.

Maybe it is time for change....

Abz2000
05-19-2012, 01:47 PM
the ipad does have it's advantages, i had an app on it called selbuk,
and it could keep an inventory of all ur stock along with picz and prices,
and everytime the stock went down, it would put it on ur shopping list,
you could also directly email receipts and invoices etc with hardly any effort.

......but it's still a big iphone with less features

since u seem to have loadza dosh
this one's quite cool though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u5or2jJn08

GuestFellow
05-19-2012, 03:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hulk
What about the asus transformer?http://www.asus.com/Eee/Eee_Pad/Eee_...sformer_TF101/It can transform ;D
Salaam,It looks nice...idk. :/ I need to be careful with my money. I take forever to buy stuff. More research required.

Beardo
05-19-2012, 05:42 PM
Your iPad will not replace a PC but I love my iPad and I use it a LOT, Alhamdulillah. I have no regrets! I even have a backup charger for my iPad so it can last me a while.

Alpha Dude
05-19-2012, 08:29 PM
I haven't investigated all the prices etc. but I assume it's more expensive to get an iPad which has network capabilities right (3G, 4G)?

Can you use it with pay as you go SIM?

Ibn Abi Ahmed
05-19-2012, 10:04 PM
^ Salaam,

Wasalam,

Get the Macbook Air - very very portable and works like a charm.

~Raindrop~
05-19-2012, 10:05 PM
^Yup, it costs around £100 more than a WiFi-only version. You can use a microsim with it.

CosmicPathos
05-19-2012, 10:14 PM
Senior doctors here are given Ipad by the hospital, have their own built in software for patient's lab tests, imaging tests, all the electronic medical records. Amazing stuff. Although I would not shell my personal money for Ipad.

there are also concerns that Ipad is increasing rates of infections as doctor touch the patient with same hands, transfer bacteria from theri skin to ipad and then in another room with a new patient use the same ipad. Cross contamination.

GuestFellow
05-20-2012, 05:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muraad
Wasalam,

Get the Macbook Air - very very portable and works like a charm.
:sl:

OMG too expensive. :skeleton:

~ Sabr ~
05-20-2012, 05:32 PM
Lol you haven't kept any options open, so how are we supposed to advise u sis!

GuestFellow
05-20-2012, 05:33 PM
^ Salaam,

Ah I'm a guy. :/

Ibn Abi Ahmed
05-20-2012, 07:31 PM
:sl:

OMG too expensive. :skeleton:
:w:

Wait for a few months, there are rumors that Apple is producing a cheaper model to keep up with the competition that's selling for a way less than their products.

~ Sabr ~
05-20-2012, 07:35 PM
^ Salaam,

Ah I'm a guy. :/
Apologies! I always go off the screen name and images, never look at the gender. :skeleton:

GuestFellow
05-20-2012, 09:44 PM
^ Salaam,

Don't worry about it.

format_quote Originally Posted by Muraad
:w:

Wait for a few months, there are rumors that Apple is producing a cheaper model to keep up with the competition that's selling for a way less than their products.
:wa:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Is there anything similar? I just need some extremely portable. :p: Whilst you guys are doing all the hard work for me, I'll have some fishy crackers.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!