PDA

View Full Version : In Islam are Married Couples required to procreate ?



truthseeker63
05-18-2012, 08:11 AM
What Im trying to ask if a Man and Woman marry are they sinning if they never have a family/have children ? I know of in my family and known people who have been married but did'nt procreate should all humans procreate ? I think having a family and procreation is a beautiful but it is not for everyone do you agree or disagree ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriage
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
~ Sabr ~
05-18-2012, 08:15 AM
Abu Dawood (2050) narrated that Ma’qil ibn Yasaar said:

A man came to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and said, “I have found a woman who is of good lineage and is beautiful, but she does not bear children. Should I marry her?” He said, “No.” Then he came again with the same question and he told him not to marry her. Then he came a third time with the same question and he said: “Marry those who are loving and fertile, for I will be proud of your great numbers before the other nations.”

Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Irwa’ al-Ghaleel, 1784.
Reply

truthseeker63
05-18-2012, 08:45 AM
What is the Hadith saying ?
Reply

~ Sabr ~
05-18-2012, 08:57 AM
That you should have kids after marriage, in a sentence.
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
Muhaba
05-18-2012, 09:45 AM
is the hadith saying that you shouldn't marry a woman who doesn't want to have children? or is it saying that you shouldn't marry a woman who can't have children? I'm asking because there is a word or phrase missing in the hadith.

there's a difference between the two cases. and since a man can marry more than one woman, it's possible for him to marry another woman if one can't have children or if his first wife can't have children he can marry another one. sometimes, in the past people married older widows and divorcees to take care of them (i'm unsure if they were past the age of childbirth or other details). many of the Prophet's wives didn't have children after the Prophet (SAW) married them (although those who were previously married may have had children from their first marriage). I don't have information about that. Did the sahaba marry women known to be unable to have children? is it forbidden to marry such a woman according to the hadith?

it's important not to cite a hadith unless it is complete. and to make sure you don't make any mistakes typing it because that can make misunderstandings. the above is incomplete. it has a portion missing.
Reply

~ Sabr ~
05-18-2012, 09:48 AM
^ cannot bear children. Chill sis, I edited it, the website had it written down wrong.
Reply

Muhaba
05-18-2012, 03:02 PM
thank you sister. i think that would be discouraging to women who can't have children. we need to look at the specific circumstances regarding that hadith. the ulama say that some of the Prophet (SAW)'s commands were for specific situations and can't be used as a general command. of course only an aalim will be able to tell you which are and which aren't. (I don't agree with some of the examples the book cited because they seemed more general to me - like the case of Abu Sufyan's wife when she complained about Abu Sufyan being a miser and the Prophet SAW told her she could take what she needed from his money for her and her children's expenses. this case seems general but some ulama (scholars) say that it was specific for her case and the judge will have to see individual cases and decide for each one separately. I personally think, as do other scholars, that the ruling in that hadith can be used by every woman who's husband is a miser and doesn't spend money on his family. And Allah knows best). but regarding the case of the woman who didn't bear children, it's very much possible that it ruling regarding that particular man and woman and and the ruling might not be general and every case would have to be judged individually.

you would need to see whether the man in the hadith was married before, did he have children, the religiousness and knowledgeability of the woman, whether she had been married before, etc.

Allah knows best but i believe that none of the rulings of islam are such that they cause difficulties for anyone. a man with another wife and children would probably not have been stopped from marrying a divorcee or widow who couldn't bear children.

and Allah knows best.
Reply

tango92
05-18-2012, 06:24 PM
some men are also impotent - i guess its best for such people to look for spouses who do not want children / any more children
Reply

dqsunday
05-18-2012, 08:03 PM
I don't know all the Hadiths as yet so can't really quote any off hand. From what I have read I don't remember (which doesn't mean there isn't) any stipulation saying a married couple must have children if both spouses choose not to. Or if its a sin if they don't have children by choice. It is definitely a sin to kill an unwanted child, a custom the ancient Arabian tribes would do to unwanted daughters. Allah will provide a means for those who fear they cannot support another child.

Again this is just my personal opinion and not to be taken as anything official, I am just a lowly slave of Allah, very much the wailing child when it comes to the many years of knowledge of those who dedicated their lives to learning the Hadiths and becoming true scholars of Islam.
Reply

White Rose
05-19-2012, 01:37 AM
Great thread. I wanted to know that as well. Seems like overpopulation is becoming a problem and adoption seems to be a better idea.
Originally Posted by Haafizah
Abu Dawood (2050) narrated that Ma’qil ibn Yasaar said:

A man came to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and said, “I have found a woman who is of good lineage and is beautiful, but she does not bear children. Should I marry her?” He said, “No.” Then he came again with the same question and he told him not to marry her. Then he came a third time with the same question and he said: “Marry those who are loving and fertile, for I will be proud of your great numbers before the other nations.”

Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Irwa’ al-Ghaleel, 1784.
Is it a reliable strong hadith?
Reply

~ Sabr ~
05-19-2012, 07:11 AM
It's classed as Saheeh.
Reply

TrueStranger
05-19-2012, 07:17 AM
:sl:

Allah is the one who gives children to His Slaves. You can be fertile or infertile, but if God wills one to have children then they will, and if He wills them not to have any children then they won't. Allah knows best....

To Allah belongs the dominion of the heavens and the earth. He creates what He wills (and plans). He bestows (children) male or female according to His Will (and Plan), Or He bestows both males and females, and He leaves barren whom He will: for He is full of Knowledge and Power. (Quran 42:49-50)
Reply

Banu_Hashim
06-09-2012, 10:42 PM
Originally Posted by WRITER
thank you sister. i think that would be discouraging to women who can't have children. we need to look at the specific circumstances regarding that hadith. the ulama say that some of the Prophet (SAW)'s commands were for specific situations and can't be used as a general command. of course only an aalim will be able to tell you which are and which aren't. (I don't agree with some of the examples the book cited because they seemed more general to me - like the case of Abu Sufyan's wife when she complained about Abu Sufyan being a miser and the Prophet SAW told her she could take what she needed from his money for her and her children's expenses. this case seems general but some ulama (scholars) say that it was specific for her case and the judge will have to see individual cases and decide for each one separately. I personally think, as do other scholars, that the ruling in that hadith can be used by every woman who's husband is a miser and doesn't spend money on his family. And Allah knows best). but regarding the case of the woman who didn't bear children, it's very much possible that it ruling regarding that particular man and woman and and the ruling might not be general and every case would have to be judged individually.

you would need to see whether the man in the hadith was married before, did he have children, the religiousness and knowledgeability of the woman, whether she had been married before, etc.

Allah knows best but i believe that none of the rulings of islam are such that they cause difficulties for anyone. a man with another wife and children would probably not have been stopped from marrying a divorcee or widow who couldn't bear children.

and Allah knows best.
Very true. There may be a longer version of the hadith, and how it is to be interpreted and applied using the principles of jurisprudence to a specific case is something only an Imam/judge/scholar can do for you, competently.

Try searching IslamQA. They usually have detailed answers to these sorts of things.
Reply

ardianto
06-10-2012, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by Haafizah
Abu Dawood (2050) narrated that Ma’qil ibn Yasaar said:

A man came to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and said, “I have found a woman who is of good lineage and is beautiful, but she does not bear children. Should I marry her?” He said, “No.” Then he came again with the same question and he told him not to marry her. Then he came a third time with the same question and he said: “Marry those who are loving and fertile, for I will be proud of your great numbers before the other nations.”

Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Irwa’ al-Ghaleel, 1784.
:sl:

About the above hadith, Shaykh Mustafa al-'Adawi has explained: "Marry a lot, with Allah's permission to reproduce birth. And the number of births, can cause takatsur (proud of the large number). Thus, women who are fertile are also advised if they know the male (who propose marriage) is barren, then do not marry him. then the ban (in the hadith) is makruh, not haram. because the Prophet Sallallaahu 'Alaihi Wa Sallam maintained the wives who did not bear children except Khadijah and Mariyah"


Source: http://almanhaj.or.id/content/2551/slash/0

Translated by Ardianto.
Reply

~ Sabr ~
06-10-2012, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by ardianto
Marry a lot,
So how many? 5? 7? 10? 15?!

Doesn't make any sense...
Reply

ardianto
06-10-2012, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by Haafizah
So how many? 5? 7? 10? 15?!

Doesn't make any sense...
Ask the ulama. Insha Allah, they will give you an answer. :)
Reply

~ Sabr ~
06-10-2012, 07:34 PM
lol, ask them what?!

no one is allowed to marry more than 4 wives, khalaas !
Reply

Banu_Hashim
06-10-2012, 07:44 PM
^ At any one time of course...
Reply

Hiraislam
06-18-2012, 10:58 AM
A great peace if Hadith you have shared1 Jazak Allah for shairng such a nice HAdith and I will share it furhter.
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!